Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More and more lately, I've been testing as INFP instead of ENFP. After much thought, I've concluded that this is probably more my type...I have always felt a bit closer to the I side rather than the E side, and I identify with INFPs more than ENFPs anymore.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Nothing is wrong with the dark side. It makes you sexy.

But if you ever want to check out the light side, I'll be there waiting on everyone in that thread. :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing is wrong with the dark side. It makes you sexy.

But if you ever want to check out the light side, I'll be there waiting on everyone in that thread. :)
Hehehe. I think I'll always be just a little confused...at least I know for sure that I'm NFP! Ha!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't know about the whole dark side talk here but...

borntorave, perhaps a good way of coming to an acceptable conclusion on the matter between ENFP and INFP would be to do a short study on the primary, secondary, and tertiary cognitive functions, since the preferences of the cognitive functions is what the MBTI is based on. INFP's dominant is Introverted Feeling, followed by Extraverted Intuition, which means that Extraverted Intuition is used to generate ideas and possibilities and make connections to serve the purpose of Introverted Feeling's inner values. ENFP's dominant is Extraverted Intuition, followed by Introverted Feeling. What makes this different is that the ENFP's Introverted Feeling values are used as a guide to serve their top priority, which is generating of possibilities and connections through Extraverted Intuition. When you examine the difference, you can figure out whether your cognitive functions are serving the purposes of your Introverted Feeling or your Extraverted Intuition.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've been going back and for on this lately too, but I'm not convinced yet.
Well according to the cognitive function levels given in your signature, Kaycee, your Fi scores higher than your Ne, which associates you with the INFP. Where did you get that test done that gives the cognitive function levels??

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Matchbook, I'm going to try that! Thank you so much for the advice. :) Now, where to find such a test...? I'm off to look!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Borntorave,

You don't need to take another test. I think there is some test out there that measures the levels of your cognitive functions so that you can see which preference order matches which type, but ultimately the best way to understand your MBTI type is through personally understanding the cognitive functions, and recognizing the preference order that your brain uses.

An excellent resource that compares the cognitive preferences side by side to make them make more sense is this link: comparison of Jung's 8 types

Look up the wiki on ENFP and INFP and look at the order of the cognitive function preferences, and use the previous resource to understand what order you use. INFP's dominant is Fi, and ENFP's is Ne, as I mentioned in the last post. Read up on those, and see which matches your dominant function most, then see if the cognitive functions that follow match the order of the cognitive preferences that you use.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
More and more lately, I've been testing as INFP instead of ENFP. After much thought, I've concluded that this is probably more my type...I have always felt a bit closer to the I side rather than the E side, and I identify with INFPs more than ENFPs anymore.
I always thought you were an INFP. You are adorable whatever your personality type.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Borntorave,

You don't need to take another test. I think there is some test out there that measures the levels of your cognitive functions so that you can see which preference order matches which type, but ultimately the best way to understand your MBTI type is through personally understanding the cognitive functions, and recognizing the preference order that your brain uses.

An excellent resource that compares the cognitive preferences side by side to make them make more sense is this link: comparison of Jung's 8 types

Look up the wiki on ENFP and INFP and look at the order of the cognitive function preferences, and use the previous resource to understand what order you use. INFP's dominant is Fi, and ENFP's is Ne, as I mentioned in the last post. Read up on those, and see which matches your dominant function most, then see if the cognitive functions that follow match the order of the cognitive preferences that you use.
Good idea! Thank you for the advice.

Honestly, I'd be willing to accept that I'm just xNFP. I seem to switch back so often. Trying to pinpoint something exactly is flustering. :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good idea! Thank you for the advice.

Honestly, I'd be willing to accept that I'm just xNFP. I seem to switch back so often. Trying to pinpoint something exactly is flustering. :confused: :confused: :confused:
It definitely can be flustering, so don't worry too much about feeling like you must pinpoint your type absolutely. The 16 MBTI type system was developed off of Jung's 8 cognitive functions so we coulderstand the way we think about what our top priorities are. As you research you'll probably discover that one of the functions (either Fi or Ne) is dominant. It would seem rather rare for those two to be absolutely equal, because naturally as humans we make our priorities and processes hierarchal.

I will use myself as an example, and this may help you to understand the process involved:

I came to recognize that I am INFP through studying and recognizing how my brain was using different cognitive processes to serve my dominant function, which is Fi. My internal values (what I see as moral, right, honorable, worthy of pursuit, and the way things ought to be) are the most important things to my life. At what point that was solidified in my mind, I don't know, but when that became set, Fi took the dominant role, as it maintains and oversees all of these values. Because these are inner, personal values, my domain and my concerns are all handled internally, and work for this internal purpose, even if there is external purpose involved. My Ne function, then, serves this purpose by surveying the inner and outer world to generate ideas that will ultimately lead to the fulfillment of my ideals. If I were an ENFP it would be the other way around - my ultimate purpose would be the generating of ideas and possibilities for myself and others in any given situation, and the values and ideals of my Fi would actually be a guide in the process of doing this, helping to determine which thoughts and ideas are the most useful.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts