Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well for me anyway. Anyone else? I've not been able to make any of my traits into positives or put them to any good use. I wish I was another type. :rolleyes:
No doubt because I have chronic depression and anxiety.
Sucks!

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
well for me anyway. Anyone else? I've not been able to make any of my traits into positives or put them to any good use. I wish I was another type. :rolleyes:
No doubt because I have chronic depression and anxiety.
Sucks!
Could you expand on which traits you're talking about and why they don't seem positive? What other type seems better to you and why?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can understand I guess, I've been there.

That being said it took me a while to understand myself mentally and emotionally and the more I learn the easier it gets. Just take some time to yourself. Think about and enjoy the qualities you do have.

Not to mention, those qualities you refer to could be completely subjective. I have no doubts that there're other types out there who would adore these traits in you.

·
Spam-I-am
13,912 Posts
i tend to agree with o.p.
non NT types seem to experience everything at a different level
we just over analyze at a microscopic scientific level
'course there are benefits of being NT as well
the biggest one being detached from emotions
i do admire NF in the way they can be open yet cynical

edit- it get's old when the majority of society [non NT] view you as odd/weird
''oh look, there's whats his face all alone once more''
'' YOU DON'T WATCH SPORTS, T.V. OR ARE INTO THE LATEST FADS, YOU WEIRDO''
the only place where we are loved is on the inner weebs
irl not so much

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you expand on which traits you're talking about and why they don't seem positive? What other type seems better to you and why?
Actually I don't really know which I'd prefer, my knowledge of all this personality categorization is very limited. I've only read a little about INTP.
Umm, so the things that keep my stuck are over analyzing and intellectualize everything. This leads me to feel disconnected from myself. I don't feel I belong to a subgroup of society because I'm a 'truth seeker' and aren't really interested in many things, just a lot of things a little bit.
Umm I spend too much time in my head rather than doing.
I find the daily tasks of living difficult, - cooking, tidy house etc
I think and would rather talk about things women my age aren't interested so I feel weird and disconnected and I also don't really feel interested in people. They bore me.
I wish I was an action person, doesn't think too much. Gets shit done.
Oh and I've never found my niche career wise. And that in itself makes me miserable.
INTP's value freedom. I feel trapped because I have agoraphobia, claustrophobia and cannot venture out my city.
That's just some stuff.
So positive sounding aye!! lol

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i tend to agree with o.p.
non NT types seem to experience everything at a different level
we just over analyze at a microscopic scientific level
'course there are benefits of being NT as well
the biggest one being detached from emotions
i do admire NF in the way they can be open yet cynical
how is being detached a benefit? I wish I was more in touch with emotions. I'm open and cynical. Too cynical and my humour is very very dry to the point where people think I'm too "negative".
I have decision paralysis and cannot settle on my stance on most things. It annoys me. I wish I could be someone who was so utterly convinced that my opinion was the right one or at least actually have an opinion bahahaha.
I did some philosophy papers and it did my head in.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
edit- it get's old when the majority of society [non NT] view you as odd/weird
''oh look, there's whats his face all alone once more''
'' YOU DON'T WATCH SPORTS, T.V. OR ARE INTO THE LATEST FADS, YOU WEIRDO''
the only place where we are loved is on the inner weebs
irl not so much
interesting you say that. Daily I have to confront someone who says "you're funny" in a patronizing way because I don't watch tv and show no interest in what's doing the rounds on FB or twitter (I have neither). And the person is very successful, socially and career wise so having this message delivered to me every day starts to erode any self esteem I'm trying to maintain.

I start to think. What's wrong with me?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Been into that state of mind. All I can say is that it can be changed although I suspect that there is no universal recipe for it. Your type will not change whether you like it or not, you can just grow based on what traits/thoughts/behaviors you currently have.

·
Spam-I-am
13,912 Posts
being detached means not experiencing the high's/lows
i gather as much information as i possibly can before making a judgement
currently i am studying medieval philosophy/theology , which btw is utterly fascinating
and am attacking it on every possible angle my perverse, warped, demented ming can think of

when other types go into panic chaotic mode i remain calm observing the situation

·
Spam-I-am
13,912 Posts
interesting you say that. Daily I have to confront someone who says "you're funny" in a patronizing way because I don't watch tv and show no interest in what's doing the rounds on FB or twitter (I have neither). And the person is very successful, socially and career wise so having this message delivered to me every day starts to erode any self esteem I'm trying to maintain.

I start to think. What's wrong with me?
nothing, our operating system is functioning perfectly
i do know what you are going through
15 y/a i thought i was going insane, until one day when i read C.G.JUNG's paper on the introverted thinking type, it described my existence. i must have read that 15 times over and over
i realized that i was not insane, my o.s. was doing what it was supposed to do

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Umm, so the things that keep my stuck are over analyzing and intellectualize everything. This leads me to feel disconnected from myself.
This is something you can work on. It's not necessarily inherent to being an INTP, although most INTPs struggle with this. You just have to find a balance between analyzing and just doing.

I don't feel I belong to a subgroup of society because I'm a 'truth seeker' and aren't really interested in many things, just a lot of things a little bit.
Well, welcome to your subgroup I guess. Don't think there aren't any people like you, there are plenty of them, you just haven't noticed them (I would bet that you have already met them, just didn't recognize them).
Umm I spend too much time in my head rather than doing.
Choose one thing you want to do and just do it. Practice getting out of your head. It's difficult at first, but it can be learned too.

I find the daily tasks of living difficult, - cooking, tidy house etc
Honestly, a lot of people do. Most of them just learned how to make themselves do it, something you will have to do too.

I think and would rather talk about things women my age aren't interested so I feel weird and disconnected and I also don't really feel interested in people. They bore me.
Try to find more interesting people, even if they aren't women of your age. Don't force yourself to fit in where you don't fit.
I wish I was an action person, doesn't think too much. Gets shit done.
Thinking isn't bad though. With a bit of thinking, you can get things done much more efficiently. You just have to find a better balance in thinking-doing. Again, this can be practised.

Oh and I've never found my niche career wise. And that in itself makes me miserable.
Also something a lot of people struggle with too. Maybe try doing some research to less obvious career choices.

INTP's value freedom. I feel trapped because I have agoraphobia, claustrophobia and cannot venture out my city.
That's just some stuff.
So positive sounding aye!! lol
Have you considered seeing a therapist for your agoraphobia and claustrophobia? Or even just researching ways to deal with them?

To me, it just sounds like you need some personal growth, to work a bit on the parts of yourself you don't like. I think everyone has parts of their personality they don't like.

My first suggestion would be trying to find people who understand you, because from what you've written it seems you don't know anyone who does. Joining this forum was probably a good first step.

Next, do what you do best and analyse yourself. Find out what the root cause is for your indecisiveness, your disconnect with your emotions and maybe even your phobias and then try to find a solution. And don't forget that there's always someone you can ask for help, you don't have to do it alone.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
This thread is right on time for one of my down days, yay. However today, I wouldn't say it is because of my type. Not my MBTI type at least. Today, I wish I was a 5 instead of a 6, or, hell, even a 7 or 8, for a non-zero, non-negative amount of reasons.
Maybe it's a combination of all that (MBTI & Enneagram types + depression).

@OP : Hang in there man. I don't know the solution, nor how to support people, but hang in there.

Reactions: Emdilem

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Being an INTP is not a handicap. It is a gift. I embrace my own being and spend all my time inside my own head. I can not wait to escape the real world and analyze the shit out of everything that catches my interest. I thought something was wrong with me for a long time, but after I stopped comparing myself with others my well-being got better.

When your knowledge database is constantly expanding you will be able to do so much, things that seemed impossible at first. Keep learning, keep thinking, keep creating, and after a while people will notice you.

I have anxiety too.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For me the big change between feeling 'useless' and 'depressed' about myself, was when I found out how to use my qualities in life.

It is not that we have bad traits or qualities, it takes a while to understand them and put them to good use. I've found that the society I live in isn't particularly well or bad suited for INTP, however, the schooling system for example just skips us (- or the other way around, whomever is first)
Also many young people have a very different view as for possibilities. The world out there is far bigger than the one you experience. I think as an INTP it is hard to see - pleasing - options on a small scale, overlooking the potential on large scale. As soon as we have a wider scope, we can do anything we can think of, however, then it comes to picking, not something we are great at either.

jobwise:
If you are looking at it job-wise, I'd recommend to just get that job (no matter what it is, as long as it is no brainkiller). In the end, we store far more information than just the task we do. Therefore wherever you go or work, you learn. This knowledge, will become more and more applicable to later situation, combining all the strengths. My own experience, for what it's worth, I think that INTP's are great at using this resource to change processes, structures, oversee changes. I've noticed many people do not have this ability and it's fairly easy to become praised for the simplicity of many combinations used for unorthodox solutions.

To give an example, I used to work in logistics. The job basically was far below my abilities, yet, I learned alot in the background about the inner process workings (the: why does one arrange this way, why not like this?). Later I applied parts of these workings in a digital company, to ensure process improvement. Since the worlds of digital and physical/analog are quite apart, that simple knowledge of how to create an effective process stream, proved to be invaluable, as it just simply isn't there at most companies I help setup.
The same for example for sales and support. Combine the 2 and you have an efficient selling machine, capable of turning sales talk into pre-support and support turning into sales, combine it with psychology and it becomes even worse. It is our ability to see resemblances, abstract and combine them into new things. I guess the 'architect'-naming originates from that. The real strength in this is the strong morale we live by. We are less likely to 'fuck' people over and similarly, less likely to give people an advantage, since it makes little sense to the honest - neutral - truth we live by, therefore we are in my opinion very suited to combine and use these for nothing other than process efficiency, resulting in a win win situation for whatever we fix or put our mind to.

TL;DR: Ability to use everything we learn for new concepts is one of the biggest strengths. Nothing is useless as we always learn.

It just takes a while to find out where your ability flourishes. Consider it that you are first expanding your databanks until they are filled with enough potential to get out there and make your change to your life.

Depression:
Another thing, which depression leads to, is the underestimation of ones abilities, as well as narrowing the outlook on possibilities. It narrows the Ne, so to say. The most important thing for me while in depression, was finding the missing parts. Learning the difference between 'things that are' and 'things one can change'. Taking control of ones life is the message in this. I remember being very idealistic before, therefore defaulting in a depressed state whenever I noticed another 'stupid' thing in the world, but as I'm growing older, it wears off. It is as if a deeper understanding of ones 'place in the world' comes with it. However, this isn't 'letting the idealism go', it just gives a more realistic view, which in its turn is very useful for finding what one can do.

Also, don't let your mind be clouded by other or your own expectations. I've learned that because people in my childhood as well as myself, had great expectations, I had been putting up a wall, to foresee in their expectations, worse, I copied the expectations and had to change that scripting to even be satisfied with/accept myself at the point where I used to be in a less favorable situation. I'd give it the naming: reality clashes with idealism which clashes with lack of opportunity. Find the cause of your depression.

TL;DR: My advice on the depression: Start being owner of your life. It may seem weird, but start with small steps. Do things you wouldn't have imagined doing, because you find them stupid/lame/name it, but which did catch your interest. Just do it. It releases alot more than you may hope for. It gives your sense of control a slight push in the right direction, until you find a new thing to dig into.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I've not been able to make any of my traits into positives or put them to any good use. I wish I was another type. :rolleyes:
Patience grasshopper. For some of us it takes years to fully develop some of our most prized traits. When I was young I too longed to be like everyone else and tried to mimic and fit in. Not understanding I was different for a reason and that someday it would all make sense. The pain you feel today is shaping you for your destiny and makes you grow strong. One day you will come to realize that all those people you now consider normal and seemingly destine for successful and purposeful lives are mostly zombies that will never have an original thought go through their head. And you will smile to yourself now knowing this, and wonder to yourself why you ever wanted to be like everyone else. Take pride in being who you are and what makes you different, and never miss a chance to humiliate anyone that doesn't respect you for it.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts