Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those healthy INFP, please excuse this thread. For those who is a little unhealthy and is reading this in INFP mode, then please plough on...

I found an article online and it describes the INFP functions, and it just "clicked" in my mind. I connect with what it describes.

Do It Scared! » Blog Archive » Jungian Cognitive Functions: The Solution to Misleading MBTI Personality Codes

We are diamonds.
We think in a diamond way.
Fi > Ne > Si > Te

Ne being the biggest element and the Si also too.

My dominant (first) function is Introverted Feeling (Fi) meaning that my feelings are focused inward towards thoughts and ideas. I make decisions/judgments using an internal code of moral conduct, what feels right and avoids hurting others. Because I am focused inward, I am not emotionally expressive to people so they may think I’m reserved or a bit cold. A dominant Extroverted Feeling (Fe) type would be focused outward towards people and things, and would make decisions that preserve the social groups (family, community, etc) and cultural norms. A Fe type would be emotionally expressive, warm to people, and be more accepting of the general consensus. The above Fi and Fe types are descriptions of the extremes; we humans are on a gradient between the two and I am more towards the introverted feeling extreme.

My auxiliary (second) function is Extraverted Intuiting (Ne) meaning that my intuition is focused on getting subtle clues from my external world, with a focus on understanding people, patterns, relationships, and possibilities. An Introverted Intuiting (Ni) type would focus his intuition internally to build an abstract system of concepts and patterns. My Ne auxiliary function explains why when I’m with friends, I can be the life of the party; I’m expressing my auxiliary function more than my dominant. The Ne function helps me to get an idea of how people are feeling, and to match and improve their moods.

My tertiary (third) function is Introverted Sensing (Si) meaning that I perceive the present world in relation to my past experiences and reactions. I prefer to keep a concise internal view of the world and thus, I tend to be neat and a minimalist (I don’t care for owning things beyond the minimum). An Extraverted Sensing (Se) type would enjoy the physical world with all five senses. Se types love cool things and creature comforts. In extreme, a Se type could become a hoarder.

My inferior (fourth) function is Extraverted Thinking (Te) meaning that I prefer to think out loud. I can work on incomplete ideas by talking to someone (or by writing). An Introverted Thinking (Ti) type prefers to create an internal model where everything fits together perfectly. An extreme Ti type may ask you to pause talking while he internally processes an idea you have just introduced.

Fi leads to Ne... but then sometimes Ne can think of too many possibilities and brainstorm into too many options, and then Si checks the past history... or rather, checks a simple list of values. Then Te actions out quickly and swiftly.

When time is spent on Ne for too long, or the person is too stressed, then it flips into:
inferior (Te) > dominant (ESTJ- Te)
tertiary (Si) > auxiliary (ESTJ - Si)

dominant / auxiliary - suppressed (Fi and Ne)

Except, sometimes (usually under stress), the inferior becomes strong enough to suppressed the dominant function! When this happens, the mirror is flipped in that the inferior function becomes the dominant and the tertiary function becomes the auxiliary; the inferior and tertiary become expressed (with the tertiary playing a supporting role to the inferior) and the dominant and auxiliary almost totally suppressed. This is the sudden personality change! This explains why at work, my Extraverted Thinking (Te) function becomes dominant and I become an almost emotionless (suppressed Fi and Ne), talking egghead (expressed Te) who is a stickler for rules, processes, and details (expressed Si). I basically become the opposite of an INFP which is an ESTJ.

Then the "personality" changes...
So, to be healthy again, one needs to stop the time on the Ne from happening, and also to stop the Si.. (bad history) from being developed to begin with... i.e. stop bad habits.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It now lets me relate to when people use the terms "healthy" and "unhealthy" and at the same time, it reminded myself of my own life, and at which point I "turn".... I find it fascinating about the diamond theory, because I used to be like this, and was in control of my whole life, every part of it. Now I feel lost and my life is not in my control either. For the past year, I felt that I needed to "redress karma". It means that there are emotional threads, which I never resolved in a diamond way. Plus certain things are anchoring me down. i.e. actions related to emotional relationships that I wanted to heal and amend etc....

So in theory, if I reverse back those karmas, then I will feel better inside of me too.. and slowly start to draft up a whole new INFP model of my life again. :)

So the more choices we have, the less we will be happy, and we ruminate on Ne.... til we turn dark and flip. The more we think, the less we breathe. :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
From my experience it hasn't been that way for me. Over thinking never sent me into Shadow mode, it has always been when other people crossed a line they shouldn't have (violated my Fi code). If I get tired from over thinking, extremely rare, as I am so used to it that, like a muscle that is constantly trained, it has become stronger, I simply shut down and go into passive zombie mode.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From my experience it hasn't been that way for me. Over thinking never sent me into Shadow mode, it has always been when other people crossed a line they shouldn't have (violated my Fi code). If I get tired from over thinking, extremely rare, as I am so used to it that, like a muscle that is constantly trained, it has become stronger, I simply shut down and go into passive zombie mode.
What is your Fi code ? Do you mean feelings ? Care to expand ?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I've mentioned multiple times in my posts how I have spent the better part of 2 years in complete ESTJ mode.
Its interesting to see it being broken down like this.

I would like to warn anyone though that the ability to fluidly move into the mirrored ESTJ mode comes with a fairly heavy price.
I paid for it with the fact that in public and during problematic times I would switch into this mode almost always. So much so that only about 2 people who know me actually know the real INFP me. The sad reality is because of my ability to switch back and forth like this, there was strain on the relationships until breaking point.

I hate not being myself but to survive its something I have to do. I wish things were easier and I knew more understanding people so I could be happy as myself but for now I must be content with living with a mask constantly wrapped around my face.

I wish there was something positive to say about this ability but sadly all that happens is you lose your true self.

Even in an emergency circumstance I would recommend INFP's to simply adopt the zombie mode and later when comfortable release all those rebuffed and/or absorbed emotion.

Reactions: Bago
1 - 6 of 6 Posts