Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I'd really appreciate any feedback on what I've written. Thanks in advance.

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?
It's always been a problem. I have many, many interests and my taste is eclectic. I learn new skills very quickly. At school, I got very good grades in practically any subject. I've always believed that I can learn anything I want (and many times, I was completely right). I can get very frustrated when I meet obstacles, but I'm usually determined and stubborn enough to overcome them. However, as soon as I realise that I know enough, I move to a new thing or rediscover something I used to like a while ago. There are, though, things I've always loved: drawing and writing. While I have many ideas, plans, quick sketches, hardly anything is finished. I hate fussing over details. I'm also frustrated when my work doesn't meet my own standards. I tend to work in bursts: I can be locked in a room and work, work, work several hours in row, while sometimes I do nothing productive for days.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
I want to produce beautiful, expressive, thought-provoking things, be it art or literature. I can see inspiration anywhere I look. I want to make people leave their comfort zones, I want them to dream big and ask questions, I want them to cry in despair and in happiness, I want my creations to haunt people's dreams. At the same time, I want to be free, independent, wise, knowledgeable, independent, powerful, creative.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
I avoid everything that is dull, ordinary, cliche, boring, unsophisticated, tasteless, saccharine, mushy, superficial, predictable. I hate small talk, false modesty, power games, people who burden me with their petty problems. My worst dream coming true would be doing monotone physical labour every single day until the end of my life. I value freedom, artistic endeavours, novelty, intellect, progress, rationality and beauty.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
I fear being ill, dying, physical pain, blindess, losing my memory and/or my mind. Being dead before I walk on the moon, before I achieve anything of importance, before I see an aurora, before I read every single book worth reading, see every work of art worth seeing... well, at that rate immortality would be a perfect choice. It's very, very unlikely given the current state of science, but it doesn't make me stop dreaming.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
I want others to see me as intelligent, sophisticated, formidable, creative, unique, tasteful, independent, rational, refined and open-minded. I see myself as very arrogant, reserved, cold on the outside and passionate inside, perfectionistic, intense, capricious, whimsical, future-oriented, living rather in my head than in the material world, non-materialistic, constantly changing and reevaluating myself.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
I feel best when I solve a complex problem, when I discover something which has always been overlooked, and when I learn. I love learning.
I feel worst when I let my emotions influence my decisions, when my achievements aren't appreciated, when I'm stuck and cannot control my life.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.
a) I had bad temper as a kid. I got into physical fights. Now I get angry only in extreme situations. It's often shocking for people who don't know me very well, since I can seem like a calm person. I scream, throw things etc. although it's quite easy for me to calm down after I vent my frustration.
b) I've been told I was shameless. This isn't true, of course; I tend to speak my mind regardless of the consequences and sometimes I'm ashamed of things I said (and done).
c) I isolate from people and start drawing/writing. If I immerse in something I like, the source of the anxiety bothers me less.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.
a) Under stress I tend to become very self-conscious, moody, critical, hyper-sensitive, withdrawn and pessimistic. However, I tend to behave like I'm fine. I don't want people to see that I can break, so I turn into a hermit.
b) I've always had a knack for improvisation. I'm usually excited by new opportunities.
c) It depends. If the opponent is unworthy (an obvious troll, for example ;)), I ignore them in disdain. OTOH, if it's someone I like or care for, I don't mind conflict, since it usually clears the air. I prefer direct communication, hate passive-aggressive behaviour and rarely back down. I'm very quick to forgive and forget as soon as everything's over.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?
a) When I was younger, I had a knee-jerk reaction to rebel if someone told me to do anything I didn't like/didn't feel like doing then. Now I'm fine with authority as long as they don't intrude upon my life (and if they do, I ignore them). I don't care much for politics and religion.
b) That's a tricky question. The idea of having power is tempting (although the responsibility connected to power is NOT). I don't actively seek power, but if it's given to me, I accept it.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
I'm fascinated by humans, their thoughts, dreams and behaviour. I prefer to observe people rather than interact with them. I believe that no one is completely good or completely evil; people are a wondrous mix of many different flavours. I'm deeply interested in others' emotions and reactions: why do they behave the way they do? Why do they change and how? I'm drawn to contrast and intensity.

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.
Well, it's not really an event, it lasted long. I spend about 4-5 years of my life being clinically depressed. There were many factors, both internal and external. At first, I didn't tell anyone I felt bad; I wanted to be left alone, crawl into a pitiful little hole and die in misery. I was constantly scared: scared of people, scared of myself. I didn't recognise my own face in mirrors. Before that, I'd always been fearless (and right now, being healthy, I still am). When I started taking anti-depressants, I had a little bit more energy, but absolutely no creativity. I was a lifeless husk, completely dead inside and decided that I prefer being depressed, but being myself. I absolutely must, must, must feel creative in order to be alive.
Nevertheless, I've managed to cope with everything. Failure was not an option. Right now, sometimes I feel blue, but at least I know how to deal with those funny tricks of neurotransmitters.

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.
I tend to trust people unless they give me a reason not to. If someone lies to me once, it doesn't necessarily mean they're completely untrustworthy. If they lie to me constantly, I reject them and erase from my mind.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.
I like that I am creative, intelligent, perceptive, rational, independent, generous and not very serious.
I dislike that I am egocentric, blunt, irresponsible, hedonistic, I can't finish most things I start, I switch between being narcissistic and self-loathing in no time.

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
While I tend to overlook some very obvious things, I notice facial features, personal quirks and patterns of speech (that could be because I draw people and write about people, not because it's my great talent or something).

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?
I don't care much. They're strangers, after all.

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?
That's a tricky question. Many people told me that I had everything anyone could dream of: I've never been poor; I was born and raised in a happy, loving family; I'm very intelligent. However, I tend to take all these things for granted and I'm never satisfied with things I have. I always reach for more. Not material possessions, though; I want to see farther, climb higher, know more, dream bigger.

I'm not a native English speaker, so if anything's unclear/awkwardly phrased, feel free to ask me for clarification. Right now all I know is that I'm neither a 1 nor a 2; 3 or 9 are also unlikely. As for instinctual stacking, I'm not really sure. Maybe sx/sp?
Cheers!

P.S.: The post had been twice as long, but I edited most of my rambling.

Reactions: silverlined

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hello guys,
1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?
It's always been a problem. I have many, many interests and my taste is eclectic. I learn new skills very quickly. At school, I got very good grades in practically any subject. I've always believed that I can learn anything I want (and many times, I was completely right). I can get very frustrated when I meet obstacles, but I'm usually determined and stubborn enough to overcome them. However, as soon as I realise that I know enough, I move to a new thing or rediscover something I used to like a while ago. There are, though, things I've always loved: drawing and writing. While I have many ideas, plans, quick sketches, hardly anything is finished. I hate fussing over details. I'm also frustrated when my work doesn't meet my own standards. I tend to work in bursts: I can be locked in a room and work, work, work several hours in row, while sometimes I do nothing productive for days.
I get vibes of 7, 8, 5 and 4.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
I want to produce beautiful, expressive, thought-provoking things, be it art or literature. I can see inspiration anywhere I look. I want to make people leave their comfort zones, I want them to dream big and ask questions, I want them to cry in despair and in happiness, I want my creations to haunt people's dreams. At the same time, I want to be free, independent, wise, knowledgeable, independent, powerful, creative.
7, 8, 4.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
I avoid everything that is dull, ordinary, cliche, boring, unsophisticated, tasteless, saccharine, mushy, superficial, predictable. I hate small talk, false modesty, power games, people who burden me with their petty problems. My worst dream coming true would be doing monotone physical labour every single day until the end of my life. I value freedom, artistic endeavours, novelty, intellect, progress, rationality and beauty.
7, 4, 8.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
I fear being ill, dying, physical pain, blindess, losing my memory and/or my mind. Being dead before I walk on the moon, before I achieve anything of importance, before I see an aurora, before I read every single book worth reading, see every work of art worth seeing... well, at that rate immortality would be a perfect choice. It's very, very unlikely given the current state of science, but it doesn't make me stop dreaming.
7 - and 5, 3.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?
I want others to see me as intelligent, sophisticated, formidable, creative, unique, tasteful, independent, rational, refined and open-minded. I see myself as very arrogant, reserved, cold on the outside and passionate inside, perfectionistic, intense, capricious, whimsical, future-oriented, living rather in my head than in the material world, non-materialistic, constantly changing and reevaluating myself.
7, 4, 8, 5.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
I feel best when I solve a complex problem, when I discover something which has always been overlooked, and when I learn. I love learning.
I feel worst when I let my emotions influence my decisions, when my achievements aren't appreciated, when I'm stuck and cannot control my life.
5 and a bit 3.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.
a) I had bad temper as a kid. I got into physical fights. Now I get angry only in extreme situations. It's often shocking for people who don't know me very well, since I can seem like a calm person. I scream, throw things etc. although it's quite easy for me to calm down after I vent my frustration.
b) I've been told I was shameless. This isn't true, of course; I tend to speak my mind regardless of the consequences and sometimes I'm ashamed of things I said (and done).
c) I isolate from people and start drawing/writing. If I immerse in something I like, the source of the anxiety bothers me less.
a) 8
b) not 2, perhaps 4
c) 5

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.
a) Under stress I tend to become very self-conscious, moody, critical, hyper-sensitive, withdrawn and pessimistic. However, I tend to behave like I'm fine. I don't want people to see that I can break, so I turn into a hermit.
b) I've always had a knack for improvisation. I'm usually excited by new opportunities.
c) It depends. If the opponent is unworthy (an obvious troll, for example ;)), I ignore them in disdain. OTOH, if it's someone I like or care for, I don't mind conflict, since it usually clears the air. I prefer direct communication, hate passive-aggressive behaviour and rarely back down. I'm very quick to forgive and forget as soon as everything's over.
a) 7, 1, 5, 4
b) 7
c) 8

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?
a) When I was younger, I had a knee-jerk reaction to rebel if someone told me to do anything I didn't like/didn't feel like doing then. Now I'm fine with authority as long as they don't intrude upon my life (and if they do, I ignore them). I don't care much for politics and religion.
b) That's a tricky question. The idea of having power is tempting (although the responsibility connected to power is NOT). I don't actively seek power, but if it's given to me, I accept it.
a) cp 6, 8
b) 6

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?
I'm fascinated by humans, their thoughts, dreams and behaviour. I prefer to observe people rather than interact with them. I believe that no one is completely good or completely evil; people are a wondrous mix of many different flavours. I'm deeply interested in others' emotions and reactions: why do they behave the way they do? Why do they change and how? I'm drawn to contrast and intensity.
7, 5.

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.
Well, it's not really an event, it lasted long. I spend about 4-5 years of my life being clinically depressed. There were many factors, both internal and external. At first, I didn't tell anyone I felt bad; I wanted to be left alone, crawl into a pitiful little hole and die in misery. I was constantly scared: scared of people, scared of myself. I didn't recognise my own face in mirrors. Before that, I'd always been fearless (and right now, being healthy, I still am). When I started taking anti-depressants, I had a little bit more energy, but absolutely no creativity. I was a lifeless husk, completely dead inside and decided that I prefer being depressed, but being myself. I absolutely must, must, must feel creative in order to be alive.
Nevertheless, I've managed to cope with everything. Failure was not an option. Right now, sometimes I feel blue, but at least I know how to deal with those funny tricks of neurotransmitters.
Head type. 7 disintegrating to 5 like in many other parts of your writing.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.
I like that I am creative, intelligent, perceptive, rational, independent, generous and not very serious.
I dislike that I am egocentric, blunt, irresponsible, hedonistic, I can't finish most things I start, I switch between being narcissistic and self-loathing in no time.
7, 5, 8.

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?
That's a tricky question. Many people told me that I had everything anyone could dream of: I've never been poor; I was born and raised in a happy, loving family; I'm very intelligent. However, I tend to take all these things for granted and I'm never satisfied with things I have. I always reach for more. Not material possessions, though; I want to see farther, climb higher, know more, dream bigger.
Again, 7 and 8. 3 and 4.

I'm not a native English speaker, so if anything's unclear/awkwardly phrased, feel free to ask me for clarification. Right now all I know is that I'm neither a 1 nor a 2; 3 or 9 are also unlikely. As for instinctual stacking, I'm not really sure. Maybe sx/sp?
Oh, if you really are as intelligent as you declare to be, you must be aware of your English skills... I would not have noticed it if you had not mentioned it. I am not very precise nor a native English speaker by myself either though.

I'm only using my own Ne and the vibes I got from your writing but somehow I could imagine you as 7w8, tritype 784 or 783, perhaps Ne-dom and ENTP, sp/sx. But this is only me guessing. And these kind of writings are always very subjective, it is impossible for one to reveal the whole personality. But you had chosen to tell those issues and based on them I am making my guess. How do you feel about it? I could relate a lot to your writing, btw. I've been thinking of the same tritype I suggested for you and I am also Ne-dom by myself.

One more thing I have to ask... Or say. I do not believe that you had no idea what type you are. But on the other hand, you only said you have no idea what you are and that indeed is a lot deeper question also I intend to solve in my own life before I die - because also I feel I have no idea what am I really.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your insight!

One more thing I have to ask... Or say. I do not believe that you had no idea what type you are. But on the other hand, you only said you have no idea what you are and that indeed is a lot deeper question also I intend to solve in my own life before I die - because also I feel I have no idea what am I really.
Maybe I phrased it wrong (about types, I mean). I can relate to 4, 5, 7 and 8, not ruling out 3 and 6 either. Which is 2/3 of the enneagram ;) As for the deeper question... well, I can only wish you luck. I hope you find your identity.

7 disintegrating to 5 like in many other parts of your writing.
Doesn't 7 disintegrate to 1 and grow to 5, though?

Oh, if you really are as intelligent as you declare to be, you must be aware of your English skills... I would not have noticed it if you had not mentioned it. I am not very precise nor a native English speaker by myself either though.
Why, thank you. I know I can write in English pretty well, although sometimes I make really stupid mistakes.

I'm only using my own Ne and the vibes I got from your writing but somehow I could imagine you as 7w8, tritype 784 or 783, perhaps Ne-dom and ENTP, sp/sx. But this is only me guessing. And these kind of writings are always very subjective, it is impossible for one to reveal the whole personality. But you had chosen to tell those issues and based on them I am making my guess. How do you feel about it? I could relate a lot to your writing, btw. I've been thinking of the same tritype I suggested for you and I am also Ne-dom by myself.
Nice to meet you, then :)

7w8 makes a lot of sense. However, I can't really relate to the gregarious, life-of-the-party, extremely outgoing, having a lot of friends etc. part. I need my time alone. Actually, I can appear calm, aloof, cold and somewhat angry to people, or so they tell me (why? no idea). Oh, and the materialistic, money-oriented aspect. I've no need for luxury. I'm just as happy spending holiday in a tent as in a 5 star hotel.

Tritype 784 or 783: I'd say 784 is more accurate.

Sp/sx: maybe. I haven't decided yet if I'm more sp or sx.

Ne-dom and ENTP: I think it's likely, although I have issues with the poor E letter. I'm not a very social person. I don't mind being alone.

Reactions: zallla

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Maybe I phrased it wrong (about types, I mean). I can relate to 4, 5, 7 and 8, not ruling out 3 and 6 either. Which is 2/3 of the enneagram ;) As for the deeper question... well, I can only wish you luck. I hope you find your identity.
Heh, when it comes to Enneagram, I still think I am a core Four and not a core head type because the objective of life of type Four is to find your identity. But otherwise, I feel incompetent and curious, feeling I have absolutely no idea of anything... I am the whirlwind, I am uncountable possibilities and options. I guess it's very easy for Ne-doms to think about various Enneagram types they could be, especially ENFPs. ENTPs seem a bit more straightforward.

Doesn't 7 disintegrate to 1 and grow to 5, though?
Indeed it does! But I still think you seem more like a core Seven than Five. I'll tell you soon why ^_^

Nice to meet you, then :)
Likewise! I can relate very well to Ne-doms... I wish I had more Ne-dom friends in the real life, sometimes I feel other people cannot share my wave lengths and energy levels to the extent to have an inspiring and uplifting conversation.

7w8 makes a lot of sense. However, I can't really relate to the gregarious, life-of-the-party, extremely outgoing, having a lot of friends etc. part. I need my time alone. Actually, I can appear calm, aloof, cold and somewhat angry to people, or so they tell me (why? no idea). Oh, and the materialistic, money-oriented aspect. I've no need for luxury. I'm just as happy spending holiday in a tent as in a 5 star hotel.

Tritype 784 or 783: I'd say 784 is more accurate.

Sp/sx: maybe. I haven't decided yet if I'm more sp or sx.

Ne-dom and ENTP: I think it's likely, although I have issues with the poor E letter. I'm not a very social person. I don't mind being alone.
I only thought of 7w8 because I sensed more Eight than Six in your post but if you already have eight in your tritype that might explain that to some extent. And our types are always only good estimates of our personality. It's the main motivations one should focus on when determing the types.

And it doesn't matter what type - all that matters really is what you think of yourself. No matter what type as long as its the right one for you ^_^ And sp Sevens are not highly well presented in type Seven descriptions, most are probably better for social subtype Sevens - and you seem to send me very few social subtype vibes. Go to read about those types, you'll find where you fit best. Here are descriptions of type Seven stackings.

Btw, I am not a very socialing person by myself either. Also I can spend time alone, I definitely need my solitude quite a lot. Still, spending time with a friend of mine one-to-one cheers me up. I tend to be the most enthusiastic and energetic and full of ideas when one-to-one. In groups I am frozen, I hate groups. I relate this to the stackings too but many Ne-doms aren't as extroverted as for example Se-doms or Fe-doms. Ne-dom is taking something external to your head and then think about it there. But if you feel you are definitely not extroverted, check out other Ne-user types. I just thought that, most likely, you could be Ne-dom :) But I am no expert in these...

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am the whirlwind, I am uncountable possibilities and options. I guess it's very easy for Ne-doms to think about various Enneagram types they could be, especially ENFPs.
Indeed :) I mean, even if I read a description that fits me completely, I can't stop wondering about other possibilities.

I only thought of 7w8 because I sensed more Eight than Six in your post but if you already have eight in your tritype that might explain that to some extent. And our types are always only good estimates of our personality. It's the main motivations one should focus on when determing the types.
Well, I can relate more to 7w8 than 7w6; if I remember correctly, 7w6 care about being liked, 7w8s don't give a damn.

And sp Sevens are not highly well presented in type Seven descriptions, most are probably better for social subtype Sevens - and you seem to send me very few social subtype vibes. Go to read about those types, you'll find where you fit best.
Thanks for the link. Sp/sx Seven seems about right; there's nothing in the description I can't agree with.

Btw, I am not a very socialing person by myself either. Also I can spend time alone, I definitely need my solitude quite a lot. Still, spending time with a friend of mine one-to-one cheers me up. I tend to be the most enthusiastic and energetic and full of ideas when one-to-one. In groups I am frozen, I hate groups.
Are you reading my mind or something? ;)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Indeed :) I mean, even if I read a description that fits me completely, I can't stop wondering about other possibilities.
If you say that to certain people here, they will tell you are a Six. There is this stupid misconception that people who are unsure of their type must be Sixes... o_O Also I was suggested to be a Six. I was unsure of my types, I had trouble to recognize the deepest me, I can still find and recognize so many sides in me that it has not been straightforward to realize which ones are the most meaningful. Now it seems quite obvious that I am Ne-dom but in the beginning when I was unaware of cognitive functions in theory and in my own life I had no idea...

Focusing on the big picture helps to determine the tritype. Never mind the characteristics and that kind of crap, focus on the main motivations in your life. I am still not sure of being a core Four but I know I have it in my tritype. I am also sure of having Eight in my tritype. The problem is, I can recognize issues of Five, Six and Seven. When I'm healthy, I feel mostly like a Seven and when unhealthy, mostly like a Five. But I have learned a lot about myself since I have realized that I have Eight in my tritype ^_^

Are you reading my mind or something? ;)
Heh, I wish ^_^ At one point I thought I am sp/sx Seven and Ne-dom so I can relate a lot to your writing, perhaps that explains :) Welcome to this forum on my behalf :)

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you say that to certain people here, they will tell you are a Six. There is this stupid misconception that people who are unsure of their type must be Sixes... o_O
Heh, I've noticed that too! Actually, I wouldn't mind if I were a Six, but I can relate more to 5 and 7.

Focusing on the big picture helps to determine the tritype. Never mind the characteristics and that kind of crap, focus on the main motivations in your life. I am still not sure of being a core Four but I know I have it in my tritype. I am also sure of having Eight in my tritype. The problem is, I can recognize issues of Five, Six and Seven. When I'm healthy, I feel mostly like a Seven and when unhealthy, mostly like a Five. But I have learned a lot about myself since I have realized that I have Eight in my tritype ^_^
Makes sense. At first, I was very confused about my gut fix... I mean, at first I thought it was 9, because most descriptions on the internet look basically like this: "8 - aggressive, bossy and pushy, 9 - happy, peaceful, live and let live". I am a tolerant person, at least I like to think so, but my overall energy, I think, is way more 8ish and 9ish. I don't fear conflict.

Also, from the 27 tritype/archetype descriptions:
When 8 replaces the 9 you get more of a sense of groundedness or at least more practicality and realism that can seem a little harder edged and less lyrical.
It's kind of ironic that while I'm 99% sure I have both 4 and 8 in my tritype, the core is what I have most issues with. I mean, 584 might(?) look 7ish, because 5 disintegrates into 7 and 8 can have a 7 wing. At the same time, 784 might look 5ish, because 7 integrates into 5, 8 disintegrates into it, and 4 can have a 5 wing. At least I think so.

The main gripe I have is the premise that 7=extrovert, 5=introvert. I call it bovine excrement.

Oh, and I really like your avatar. It makes me smile :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Who are you?? O.O This is just weird, even creepy... Do you know me? Tempted me here on purpose? It's just funny and quite cool that you have so similar issues... ^_^

Heh, I've noticed that too! Actually, I wouldn't mind if I were a Six, but I can relate more to 5 and 7.
My thoughts exactly. I would have nothing against being a Six, they are very cool, but I relate to Seven more.

Makes sense. At first, I was very confused about my gut fix... I mean, at first I thought it was 9, because most descriptions on the internet look basically like this: "8 - aggressive, bossy and pushy, 9 - happy, peaceful, live and let live". I am a tolerant person, at least I like to think so, but my overall energy, I think, is way more 8ish and 9ish. I don't fear conflict.
Me too, first I thought of Nine because I do value peace (=no innocent victims) and can ignore my duties. Then I realized I am not at all like Nine, I have very little Nine in me. I am not at all adaptable and conforming, I have no reason to avoid making conflicts or do what others do - actually I do the opposite, what I want. Eventually I realized I have clearly Eight in my tritype, it was such a fascinating discovery since it gave me more insight and self-confidence. I have tried to learn to use the good qualities it gives me and to cope better with the negative ones. The problem is, sometimes they are bigger problem for other people than for me.

It's kind of ironic that while I'm 99% sure I have both 4 and 8 in my tritype, the core is what I have most issues with. I mean, 584 might(?) look 7ish, because 5 disintegrates into 7 and 8 can have a 7 wing. At the same time, 784 might look 5ish, because 7 integrates into 5, 8 disintegrates into it, and 4 can have a 5 wing. At least I think so.
Heh, I have the same thing! Also I think I must have 4 and 8 in my tritype but have had difficulties to know my head fix. Every time I feel better, like this week, I start to think my first fix is a head fix, Seven. It's quite frustrating really, the same thing I had with my cognitive functions... It seems to take time to recognize the main tendencies since they are so natural, too close to be seen, something I have "always" had.

Often it helps when you think of your childhood but mine wasn't highly happy one so it complicates it a bit... I definitely had Four issues, I felt different from others, lonely, inferior to others. But I still don't know... I was enthusiastic, tried like 15+ different hobbies, I had a very curious mind, I did my own research, had a very good imagination. Well, all that could only have been an early manifestation of Ne...

The main gripe I have is the premise that 7=extrovert, 5=introvert. I call it bovine excrement.
Heh, cool - but could be incorrect ;) There are extroverted Fives and introverted Sevens too even when it does sound a bit controversial.

Oh, and I really like your avatar. It makes me smile :)
Thanks! I obviously liked it too but will probably change it tomorrow though, I get bored quite easily. It's easy to know what mood I'm on because I tend to change my avatar etc. based on that. Yeah, I know ^_^ But at the moment I don't actually care because I'm feeling quite good.

Edit: I found this extremely useful :)

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link! Really useful. Although I'm still confused whether my head fix is 5 or 7. It's really interesting that we have similar issues. BTW, why do you think you're a Four? I considered that too, but I feel I'm too uncomfortable with my emotions to be a true Four.

Nevertheless, Fives tend to be far more focused on their individual intellectual activities than are Sevens.
Hard to say. If I like something, I spend sooo much time on it, but I don't know if it qualifies as "far more focused" or not.

In addition, Sevens are extroverts whereas Fives are true introverts, often pursuing a line of thought until they take it to the very end, unlike Sevens who tend to move on when the intellectual work becomes too immersed in detail.
I don't think I'm extroverted, but I don't like fussing over details.

Sevens frequently underestimate the extent of their extroversion, giving them the sense that they are more Five-like than they actually are.
Entirely possible.

The overall pattern of the Seven's life, however, ought to reveal the pattern of seeking distraction by way of engaging others. The Five's life should reveal a pronounced pattern of withdrawing under stress.
Mmm. Now I'm even more confused. I seek distraction, that is crystal clear, but I don't need to engage others.

In particular, it is the Seven who might mistype as a Five; the reverse almost never occurs.
I wonder why?

Nevertheless, Sevens are much more open to experience of all sorts than are Fives who become easily depleted by too much stimulation.
Yeah, I'm open to experience, although I'm kind of picky about things I want to experience.

Still no idea.

Okay, I think I'll focus on things I don't agree with (nitpicking is one of my biggest talent. In the figurative, not literal sense, of course).

Why I think I might not be a Five:

the instincts and the capacity for practical activity remain generally underdeveloped
Not true. In fact, I think first, act later, feel at the very end. This is 7-ish pattern, no?

Fives are usually somewhat restrained when it comes to emotional expression
Heh, no! I'm quite expressive when I talk to people.

There are many Fives who have accumulated a vast wealth of knowledge, which they never share with anyone; in this way, their characteristic "gold" never benefits the world from which Fives typically feel so alienated.
Nope. I like sharing my knowledge and my thoughts.

Why I think I might not be a Seven:

They tend towards extroversion, generally know lots of people, and are especially fond of collecting those they find unusual, entertaining or stimulating.
No, no, no, no.

Sevens frequently know who the cool people are, what the best restaurant is, which new musical group is the "next great band," which bestseller is really worth reading.
Bullshit. So not me.

Human beings in general, and Sevens more than most, can form addictions to many different things - shopping, gambling, drugs, or even to a particular sexual partner or to sexual adventures in general.
While I'm eager to try many things, I don't really get addicted to anything. (Not counting the internet).

Of course, it might be possible that I'm neither a 5 nor a 7, but I've no idea what would I be then.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I do not think I am a Four anymore... I started a thread about this issue to the Enneagram forum. Read it, maybe it will help you to determine your type too :) I also replied to thread about differences between 5 and 7, it is in the same forum too.

Also I cannot relate to all those Seven issues and I still think I am a Seven. I am not aware of the newest restaurants or anything crap like that, I am not addicted since I try to avoid such a state, I am not a party girl, I am not always cheerful, I am not unfaithful to my SO (I can flirt and even regret being married when tempted though). But I do need my freedom, and many times also solitude to do what I find fascinating, get energized when sharing with others and brainstorming and tend to multitask and make sure I will not be bored.

Read those linked threads. At least to me you seem mostly like a head type. If I had to guess, I would say most likely Seven, then Six and then Five. But you'll know it eventually :)

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I do not think I am a Four anymore... I started a thread about this issue to the Enneagram forum. Read it, maybe it will help you to determine your type too :) I also replied to thread about differences between 5 and 7, it is in the same forum too.
I've read the threads and even replied ;) And yes, it's been helpful so far.

Also I cannot relate to all those Seven issues and I still think I am a Seven. I am not aware of the newest restaurants or anything crap like that, I am not addicted since I try to avoid such a state, I am not a party girl, I am not always cheerful, I am not unfaithful to my SO (I can flirt and even regret being married when tempted though). But I do need my freedom, and many times also solitude to do what I find fascinating, get energized when sharing with others and brainstorming and tend to multitask and make sure I will not be bored.
My thoughts exactly. Apart from being faithful, um. I'm single, I like it, but when I were in relationships, I had trouble with being faithful and got bored with my partners really quickly.

At least to me you seem mostly like a head type.
And I seem like a head type to myself, too ;)

But you'll know it eventually :)
I hope so!

edit: today I'm feeling more 3ish than 4ish. Maybe I'll focus on the core type first, and sort the rest later.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Okay, I think I've found my core type (fanfare).

I'm a 7w8 rather than 5, and here are some things that helped me decide:

- stress arrow: in hindsight it's kind of obvious... I mean, I get self-conscious and critical when I'm stressed, and 7 disintegrates to 1
- my 5ish tendencies are probably a result of using Ti, being a nerd of sorts, and reasonably healthy (7 integrates to 5)
- I seek constant stimulation, fun and novelty, my brain has to work at its full capacity all the time. I don't need that much in terms of physical activity, although I enjoy it. This could be a result of using primarily Ne when interacting with the world (while ESxP Sevens are probably much more physical)
- fuck the stereotypes, I might not be very social and have many friends, but I still need new new new things and unrestrained freedom

Last but not least, I'd still appreciate help on my heart fix (hardly ever used, though). I'm leaning towards 4w5, not ruling 4w3 either (I thought 3w4, too, but 478 tritype describes me much better than 378).

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Okay, I think I've found my core type (fanfare).

I'm a 7w8 rather than 5, and here are some things that helped me decide:

- stress arrow: in hindsight it's kind of obvious... I mean, I get self-conscious and critical when I'm stressed, and 7 disintegrates to 1
- my 5ish tendencies are probably a result of using Ti, being a nerd of sorts, and reasonably healthy (7 integrates to 5)
- I seek constant stimulation, fun and novelty, my brain has to work at its full capacity all the time. I don't need that much in terms of physical activity, although I enjoy it. This could be a result of using primarily Ne when interacting with the world (while ESxP Sevens are probably much more physical)
- fuck the stereotypes, I might not be very social and have many friends, but I still need new new new things and unrestrained freedom
haha I used the exact same logix ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts