Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any vegans or vegetarians out there? And tell me reasons you became a vegetarian, also type your MBTI. Mine is I love animals a lot and just imagine you were that little chicken you have no voice or words to say. You can't stop them from killing you because you are an object to them not a unique soul.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
INFP vegetarian. Mostly because I dislike it (mostly texture, also taste of certain kinds) and it feels too "heavy" when I eat it. There is an ethical element to it too, and maybe part of my physical reaction to it is psychological... who knows.

I'm not evangelical about it but I am a little smug... I started fighting with my parents over having to eat meat from when I was probably 5 or 6, and they kept forcing it down my throat thinking it was just a stupid childish thing that I'd grow out of. After moving out I cut most meat out of my diet, and within a year and a half I'd stopped eating chicken and ham and fish as well. Do not miss it at all.

·
Registered
991 Posts
INFP pescatarian? Does this count?
I became a vegetarian when I was very young and my mom made it necessary that I eat some sort of meat or else she would not let me, seeing as I was growing and protein was important.
I chose fish and have stuck with my decision because as I have grown I have realized that fish do not suffer as much as mammals or birds do when in captivity... I get sick thinking about cows who are killed for food but thinking about fish does not bother me. They have short memories and do not have complicated thought. I guess there are dozens of ways you could argue with me here as the reasoning is quite flawed, but I do not think it will make me change my mind.
In any case, I also understand why people do eat meat, I just do not like glorifying it and cannot stand doing it myself.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
I became vegan in May 2010.

That lasted the summer until school started. Then I became a vegetarian. I have been a vegetarian since.

I originally did it strictly for moral reasons.

I have since changed my moral stance quite a bit and now only stay veg*n for health and personal reasons (such as I like it, it makes me happy, it's very good for the environment, I find meat gross, . . . )

I don't anymore think that killing animals is wrong, per se. I know that I personally think it seems like a bad idea. But I don't believe that it could ever be called "wrong" objectively. Because I don't believe in objective morality.

I just know that I personally would prefer not to contribute to it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wonderful :) most of you guys for moral reasons just like me. I don't think it is wrong because animals do it. But I don't know I think humans are able to live without it now. Also the industry is cruel...

Reactions: 54-46 ThatsMyNumber

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
INFP pescatarian? Does this count?
I became a vegetarian when I was very young and my mom made it necessary that I eat some sort of meat or else she would not let me, seeing as I was growing and protein was important.
I chose fish and have stuck with my decision because as I have grown I have realized that fish do not suffer as much as mammals or birds do when in captivity... I get sick thinking about cows who are killed for food but thinking about fish does not bother me. They have short memories and do not have complicated thought. I guess there are dozens of ways you could argue with me here as the reasoning is quite flawed, but I do not think it will make me change my mind.
In any case, I also understand why people do eat meat, I just do not like glorifying it and cannot stand doing it myself.
Well yeah that does count (I am one). I just wrote vegetarian in case some people don't know what I am talking. And my reasons I eat fish is the same as yours haha. Yeah it's not as cruel.

Reactions: sittapygmaea

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
And my reasons I eat fish is the same as yours haha. Yeah it's not as cruel.
True, murder is a lot less cruel than murder. I see your point.

Overfishing causes Pacific bluefin tuna numbers to drop 96% | Environment | The Guardian
Sardines hit hard by overfishing | Science/AAAS | News
Overfishing Causing Jellyfish Population Boom, Research Finds (+Recent Examples Of Overfishing) - Science HeathenScience Heathen
There's Still Time to Stop the Fish Apocalypse | VICE | United States
Salt-Water Fish Extinction Seen By 2048 - CBS News

Overfishing is destroying the world's oceans' ecosystems. And damaging the natural balance of the ocean food chains. Many fish species are nearing extinction due to overfishing.

I would argue that fishes are one of the most cruel forms of meat. Due to the huge environmental impact of fishing that negatively impacts the entire planet.

Fishing is largely unregulated. I would recommend you eat a regulated animal if you're going to eat any at all. Such as chickens.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True, murder is a lot less cruel than murder. I see your point.

Overfishing causes Pacific bluefin tuna numbers to drop 96% | Environment | The Guardian
Sardines hit hard by overfishing | Science/AAAS | News
Overfishing Causing Jellyfish Population Boom, Research Finds (+Recent Examples Of Overfishing) - Science HeathenScience Heathen
There's Still Time to Stop the Fish Apocalypse | VICE | United States
Salt-Water Fish Extinction Seen By 2048 - CBS News

Overfishing is destroying the world's oceans' ecosystems. And damaging the natural balance of the ocean food chains. Many fish species are nearing extinction due to overfishing.

I would argue that fishes are one of the most cruel forms of meat. Due to the huge environmental impact of fishing that negatively impacts the entire planet.

Fishing is largely unregulated. I would recommend you eat a regulated animal if you're going to eat any at all. Such as chickens.
Well I have to eat it the same reason as the comment above me. We didn't choose, we have too. I am still living with my parents and I really can't control what I eat. No one here said murder is a lot cruel than murder so don't act like you know everything ;)

·
Registered
622 Posts
INFP and an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian (aspiring I still mess up and eat somethings I should not eat every now and again).

First it was training reasons, its way easier to cut weight on a plant based diet.
Then it was health reasons, there is so much crap in meat now a days.
Then came the spiritual and moral reasons, what they do to cows and chickens and maybe even fish is jacked up. When you start getting deeper into becoming Vegetarian and Vegan, the things you learn and see turn your stomach.

The taste of meat is still somewhat OK, but after two years of being Vegetarian, if I get meat in my system I feel kinda raunchy, and a wee bit guilty cause of the what the animal I am eating went through prior to being served to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
INTJ, vegetarian for several years now. Hopefully vegan when I move out and am able to cook for myself.
I think the meat and dairy industry, like every other industry, is corrupt and I do not wish to support it. I highly dislike the thought of another animal dying for my pleasure when I am able to sustain myself without such suffering being necessary. I also think that there are far too many things that ordinary people can never know about that go on behind the scenes of animal slaughter. Remember mad cow disease? How on earth was that even allowed to happen? I suppose that applies to all food but meat and dairy are especially important.

·
Registered
961 Posts
How come you guys see eating plants, which are also living organisms as moral, yet eating a chicken as immoral. Are you saying that a chicken is more alive because it has some form of conciousness? Why does conciousness deem a life form lesser or more?

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
ENTP vegetarian/vegan

I'm really back and forth with it. I'll be completely vegan fr months, but then switch back to vegetarian. Being vegan is a bit difficult when you don't buy your own groceries.

I do it for both health and moral reasons. I just think killing animals for food is completely unnecessary.

·
Rogue Jungian
1,393 Posts
How come you guys see eating plants, which are also living organisms as moral, yet eating a chicken as immoral. Are you saying that a chicken is more alive because it has some form of conciousness? Why does conciousness deem a life form lesser or more?
Personally, I don't think eating meat alone is unethical. It's the industries that are unethical and I choose not to contribute to them.

It's about the capacity to suffer. These animals have terrible agonizing lives, and their deaths are not easy. I don't think it's reasonable to think that plants have even a similar capacity to suffer or one at all. It wouldn't make sense evolutionarily.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts