Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So over the course of the last few years I've taken a multitude of personality tests. Usually I come out as an INTJ, but later on I started reading up on cognitive functions and thought that I am an INTP(yes i know INTP and INTJ have very different base functions...) for a very long time. Well today I took another test and it shows a result of ISTJ(although it showed extraverted thinking as a second biggest process and intoverted thinking as a third one[and I consider my introverted thinking to be far more advanced than extroverted one], so it's possible I might've misunderstood some questions too). I would gladly appreciate if anyone could try to help me in determining which one I really am.

And, here's the "whats my type form filled out by me:

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I don't know whether im more S or N and J or P, thing is in most of tests my S/N axis is pretty close to 0, although I usually come off with a 50~sh score in J.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Just a peaceful life, in my own house somewhere in the suburbs, with a beautiful garden and a woman I love. Preferably not having to travel to work :p

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I can't recall an exact situation; I like solving logical problems, but also analyzing theoretical information about things that interest me.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Definitely not being able to express my feelings freely, also I am kinda alienated from the society, and tend to have my own view on things that doesn't go with general opinion.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
Usually how much effort it takes to do something, and if it's worth it. Also it matters if a person that is involved in a decision is important to me or not.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
It depends, when I am working with someone else, then I usually want to do my piece of work and I dont care about the outcome. But if I am doing something alone, and it's important to me then of course outcome is important too.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Being with my ex-gf, having a physical contant with a woman. Also joking around with people who are at, or above my level of intelligence. In general though, I need to get drunk big time in order to have fun.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I try to analyze and understand the thing in theory, and try for it to make a logical sense to me.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
It's hard to say. On one side im unorganized, as in i don't have any exact plans for future, I dont care if my room is untidy etc. On the other hand I try to never be late to an appointment, and when I decide on doing something, or promise something to someone I always do it.
10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Definitely trying to analyze it first and see it it makes sense.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I define harmony as being in a state where I'm under no pressure and can do whatever I want, but given a choice between those two, I would rather say the latter.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I overthink before speaking a lot. Sometimes can't say something important because of that, being afraid of what reaction of the other person would be.
13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Definitely like to know where I am jumping, but I'd say that actions mean more than empty words in most of cases.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Watch my favourite show and come up with a lame excuse.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I focus on a problem thats causing this stress to me and try to deal with it.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I dislike extreme extroverts that talk too much, which makes me unable to focus my thoughts. Also people that argue just to argue, without a point. And last but not least, people who don't consider what others feel and think.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
My favourite fantasy books, computer games(mostly RPGs), the universe

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
Attention of other people, smalltalk...

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
I honestly don't know how they perceive me, and even if I would be able to assume it I would probably be wrong as usually people notice things about us that we aren't aware of. Although they probably don't notice that I judge them in my mind and observe every little detail of what they do even if it doesn't look that way. I love analyzing people.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Probably sitting on my computer, browsing web, playing games. Maybe reading a book if im currently interested in one.

and here are my results from the 16typequiz:
Introversion (I): 90.63%
Extroversion (E): 9.38%

Intuition (N): 55.26%
Sensation (S) :44.74%

Thinking (T): 100%
Feeling (F): 0%

Judging (J): 69.57%

Perceiving (P):30.43%

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, here it comes ;) :

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
Not really, besides the fact that its 23:56 here atm and I'm a bit drowsy :p

1. Click on this link: Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

h t t p : // farm9 . staticflic kr . c o m /8146/7357275342_0bfbfaf5ba . j p g remove spaces..... cant post pictures since I dont have 15 posts on the forums yet...

Im not really good at anylyzing photos but oh well. The first thing I noticed is the bridge, then the boat. The city lights in the night make for a great atmosphere. Would be nice to take a walk in the night in such a surrounding..

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
We will either have to repair the car or try to look for another source of transport. First thing I'd try if we wouldn't be able to fix the car would be calling for a road service or a taxi.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
Well, whatever. I would probably sit it out somewhere in a corner, unless I was drunk myself.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
Not sure I would say anything, depends if I want to get into an arguement with that person or not, and if I think convincing him/her is important to me. If it were then I would probably try using logical arguments, backed up by some examples from life.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
I would try to analyze/experience it and see if it makes sense. Then either discard it or adapt my beliefs.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
Intelligence, although I may be heavily biased on this. Also I try to never give an empty promise that I won't be able to fulfill. They can't really change. And I have no idea how to explain determining them.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
a) Probably being able to concentrate on a theoretical subject that interests me and analyze it throroughly until I'm satisfied. I am also very honest, and lying to others comes to me with difficulty, especially if its a person I care about.

b) I would like to be able to more easily express my feelings, without being awkward about it, as it is very hard to confess to someone etc.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
I generally dont. I prefer to base my decissions on logical arguments and things that I'm sure of.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
a) spending time alone with my computer, reading a book, etc.
b) social events, where a lot of people are present, clubs. I can't stand being around many people for a long time.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
I often analyze behaviour of other people and can see the things that drive their decisions, but i keep quiet about it. Also even when I have something to say to someone but I think it's not important, I won't say it. I'm afraid of my opinion to be taken lightly or for people to think that I'm talking nonsense.

·
Banned
318 Posts
Im not really good at anylyzing photos but oh well. The first thing I noticed is the bridge, then the boat. The city lights in the night make for a great atmosphere. Would be nice to take a walk in the night in such a surrounding..
This looks very Se/Ni or Ni/Se. Both functions seem pretty balanced from what I see in your posts, so I'll assume that they take the middle two spaces on the function tree.

I see a lot of focus on logical analysis in your post. This is generally what is considered the core of the Ti function. I see quite a bit of Ni focus, but It's probably more likely supplementing your Ti. This is indicative of a dominant Ti and tertiary Ni.

Considering all of this, your type would then be ISTP. My impression of your type seems to lead to ISTP aswell.

Dom: Ti

Aux: Se

tert: Ni

Inf: Fe

Let me know if this seems to be agreeable on your end. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm I never really came to that conclusion as I always considered myself more towards NT axis, but I might have been biases. This definitely makes sense, only thing I'm concerned about is that ISTP profile/portrait of ISTP describes them as thriving for constant action, where I'd say I'm more of a type of a guy who can just sit and daydream for entire day. The rest definitely makes sense, as I do indeed absorb a lot of information during the day and then when I come home I start sorting through it, I am a patient man, etc. Just the "centered in action" description doesn't fit me, as I prefer to quietly watch how things develop from the outside, and then based on my observations take action if needed.

As far as the functions go, I'd definitely say Ti is my dominant. As for the Ni/Se you are probably right, but I think my Ni might be a little bit more developed, because certain theoretical things interest me, but Ti/Se axis also makes sense since I do have a certain troubleshooting ability, it's just that sports dont appeal to me that much, although that might be to the fact that I've been very overweight for a few years but now I'm exercising daily on my treadmill etc. And Fe is definitely my inferior function, as expressing my feelings often causes me trouble. (If I'm wrong with analyzing those functions go ahead and correct me, as I've only read briefly about them)

·
Banned
318 Posts
We tend to be a bit more drawn to our tertiary functions, and the dominant function tends to try and work with tertiary because they're both on the same plane. So an ISTP would likely like theoretical possibilities quite a bit more, but use introverted thinking for almost all of the differentiating. Try and pay attention to how you remember things. If you remember things best through perceived patterns and direct experience, then you're most likely Se-Ni. If that's true and Ti is dominant, then you know you're an ISTP.

Oh, and you're right about inferior Fe. The only other possibility in my mind is INTP, but that would mean you have Ne-Si.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm yeah, thats what got me wondering, because I do like to live in a kind of a dream world and explore esoteric things, like philosophy, quantum physics etc. so that would indicate intuition; but what you say about being drawn to tertiary function would make a lot of sense then. And I definitely have a lot of Se since I love to observe the world around me too. So you make me almost certain I am ISTP now:) thanks. And yeah I do remember things through perceived patterns and direct experience. For example I can predict what is going to happen just because I had a similar experience in past. Thanks once more :D

·
Banned
15 Posts
I would say INTP. You want emotional stability. You like being with people who are more intelligent than you are. You like things to make logical sense, even if it's only theoretical. You follow through on your promises. Those are well-known INTP traits.

A lot of INTPs mistake themselves for INTJs, and there are a lot of INTx threads in this section of the forum because INTPs overthink themselves. INTPs and psychology could be described as a swirling death trap--it invites metacognition on their part, and the effect... well...

Let's just say that INTPs, thinking about themselves, delve deeper than is really necessary. It invokes a certain amount of identity crisis.

Edit: Also, you joined this forum because you're hoping for a society of like-minded people and a place where you can belong. Everyone needs some level of acceptance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I totally agree with what you're saying. And for a long time I was convinced that I am INTP too, after reading type's profile etc. I thought it fitted me better than the INTJ i keep scoring in tests. But now after what Calculus said, it's also possible that im ISTP, and I see myself fitting in there too. Maybe I'm just on the edge or something and can't really fit the template of 16 types.

·
Banned
318 Posts
I would say INTP. You want emotional stability. You like being with people who are more intelligent than you are. You like things to make logical sense, even if it's only theoretical. You follow through on your promises. Those are well-known INTP traits.

A lot of INTPs mistake themselves for INTJs, and there are a lot of INTx threads in this section of the forum because INTPs overthink themselves. INTPs and psychology could be described as a swirling death trap--it invites metacognition on their part, and the effect... well...

Let's just say that INTPs, thinking about themselves, delve deeper than is really necessary. It invokes a certain amount of identity crisis.

Edit: Also, you joined this forum because you're hoping for a society of like-minded people and a place where you can belong. Everyone needs some level of acceptance.
No offense, but most, if not all, of those are stereotypes.

Also, ISTPs have Ti in the dominant position, making them equally as likely to "over think" - or to rationalize, theorize, etc.

Understanding the functions and how they manifest is the only way of knowing your type. Not using the functions is the leading cause of mistyping.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I agree with the other person, quite stereotypical.

Picture was funny though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts