Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title shows, I've already established I'm both introverted and a thinker. However I'm unsure about N vs S and J vs P. I've taken a few tests and the results each time have been relatively mixed. I've been typed as ISTJ, ISTP, INTJ, and INTP. As for enneagram (in case it helps) the results said that I'm either 5w6 or 5w4. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me fill in the gaps. This being my first post, I apologise for mishaps that may occur. Ok so the plan is to steal some questions I found on another post and answer them, in hopes that it will help you to type me. If my answers lack any detail or length I'm happy to elaborate for anyone who needs me to, so feel free to ask.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I've always scored low on N vs S and J vs P. None of the types seem to fit me as a whole, I can relate to some aspects from each of the types mentioned at the beginning of the post but not enough of a particular type to make a final decision. I've considered maybe it's because of my age, being quite young (16 years old in 4 days), that maybe I haven't developed enough as a person to pinpoint my exact type. However I'd still like to have a rough estimate to what my type may be, being able to understand who I am is important to me.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I would love to have a goal, something to work towards, a purpose almost. Currently I have little to no interests whatsoever, no motivation. Nothing particularly excites or interests me. I'd love to have a big goal to work towards, something where I could put all my skills and abilities to use, it's just a case of finding something that both interests and motivates me. I'd like to have lived life knowing I've made some sort of a change or impact, an accomplishment. For me it's important that I achieve something.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
Sadly I can't think of a time where I have been at my finest. However I'll explain what I'd be like if I were. Personally I'd find myself at my finest when I'm confident in myself. Being able to take on tasks and achieve goals with confidence in my abilities would be great. I dislike feeling incapable or useless, I'd feel at my finest when I can achieve something.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Being unaware of who I am and what I'm capable of, partially the reason I'm trying to determine my type. Besides that it's difficult for me to say. Although I can have low confidence at times I don't tend to feel particularly inferior to others. I don't tend to pay much attention to other peoples views of me. That isn't to say that I don't care about how I look, I can get embarrassed fairly easily, which can make me feel inferior at times. This fear, or at least dislike, of embarrassment is what stops me from trying many things.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
Once again it's difficult for me to say. I find that if I don't have an interest in the outcomes I don't tend to mind, which is why I sometimes come across as indecisive. For example recently I had to choose which subjects I will be taking for college. None of the subjects particularly interested me so I found it difficult to make a decision, therefore I just based my decision on which subjects I'd find easiest and which will require the least work. This is important because if I don't find a topic interesting I struggle to keep my focus on it and will ultimately lose the motivation to do it. So by picking easier subjects I won't have to force my way through any time consuming subjects. So you could say my decisions are focused around my interests as well as how it will affect me in the future. However my example was quite future orientated so perhaps in a more current related situation I'd focus more on the initial outcomes, but I'd still consider how it would affect me in the future.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Again... It comes down to my interest in the project. But assuming I have some kind of interest in this example I suppose I'd emphasize on whatever parts I deem as important. For example if the project was split up into sections, each with their own individual scoring (assuming this project is scored), I'd focus on the parts where I can gain the highest marks. This doesn't mean I'd disregard all other sections but I'd pay more attention to the section where I see the best opportunity to gain a good result. However I'd still like to have some sort of consistency throughout the project, making sure each section is at the best I can do (taking into consideration I'd focused on the highest scoring section beforehand). Overall if the project means enough to me I'll try my hardest on all sections, however I'd still keep a focus on the "important" parts just in case I can't tackle all sections to the best of my ability in the time given.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Argh... I can't think of specific moment but any time where I feel secure and in control of what's going on. I can only really begin to have fun if I know what I'll be up to and when. My mood can change for the worse when something unexpected happens. It's not that I can't deal with it occurring, it's just I prefer to know what is and will be going on. This is primarily because I like to tackle most things to the best of my ability, so when something unexpected happens I don't feel like improvising is really the most productive or accurate way of dealing with things. So you could say I have a lot of fun when I know what I'll be doing, the unexpected is something I don't particularly like. Having said that I've found through laziness/a lack of motivation, I've learnt how to deal with things on the spot, again I don't feel particularly comfortable when doing so but I feel like due to my disinterest in things I tend to be lazy when it comes to planning. Often I'll leave things to the last minute and then begin to panic and quickly come up with a plan. Now assuming I know what's going on, I can have a lot of fun conversing with either my INTP or ENFP friend. I enjoy talking to them about crazy ideas and really... fucked up conversations. Nothing much to do with their lives or what they've been up to or have done.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Practical work does nothing for me, I struggle to apply whatever it is I'm learning to something physical. Whenever we carry out experiments in science lessons I find it difficult to understand whatever it is we're learning simply from doing something practical. I find if I want to learn something I need to fully understand it first, usually through methods such as it being explained to me or reading up on it. Once I then understand the idea behind it I then begin apply it to an example to fully grasp how it works. As for memorizing it does nothing either. I prefer to understand something before I remember it. I find that remember facts is useless if I don't understand how it works or what it is. When it comes to learning I don't particularly struggle in any particular subjects, I achieve good grades in most subjects without any studying or revision. I find that I don't need to put much effort into my studies to get a good enough grade, I don't aim high, I tend to stick to getting just a pass. However if I was interested in a particular subject I'd try to aim the highest I can.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
I partially tackled this in question 7. I find my lack of motivation and laziness comes above my organisation. It's not that I don't benefit from planning or organising, it's just a lot of the time I can't be bothered. My room isn't particularly clean, although everything I need and use I seem to leave in the same spaces, it's not as if I have a tendency to throw things wherever and forget about them, there is a certain level of organisation. When working at a desk I tend to be quite neat, I like to know where everything is, I dislike having too many things crowding my work space. As for working on a computer I can't stand having multiple windows or tabs open, I like to work on one thing at a time, although when I do have to have multiple tabs open for example, I tend to organise them in a way that makes sense to me.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Firstly I'll try to get an understanding of the idea, once I do I'll then begin to look for information that supports it. But as I said in question 8, I struggle to apply any ideas or theories to actual examples until I have an understand beforehand.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I don't have much in the way of beliefs. As for being myself, I'm currently unsure of who that is, but it must be of some importance if I'm writing this post. When it comes to everyone else it doesn't seem to bother me.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I always think before speaking, maybe a little too much, conversations don't seem to flow well with me. I prefer one-on-one conversations as opposed to group discussions. However depending on who I'm talking to and if I'm comfortable around them, even one-on-one conversations can be a challenge.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I definitely like to know where I'm jumping before leaping, I'm not very comfortable with improvisations and when moments like that do occur I tend to make mistakes. I can handle improvisation, I just prefer to know what will happen before it does. When it comes to actions speaking louder than words, for me it's not so much the action or the words. It's the persons intentions, the reason behind their actions or words, how they go about their reason for doing something isn't important to me.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favourite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Personally I'd find the show more enjoyable than a night out with friends, so I'd probably pick the show. But assuming I wanted to do both equally as much, I'd still stick with the show. I'd rather have more time to prepare for a night out, I don't like plans at short notice.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
Short tempered, I can get quite hot and uncomfortable, I can become quite paranoid. Sometimes I can get quite depressed, then I begin to get really critical, targeting anything and everything and picking holes in it. I lose focus and begin to worry about what might happen. I usually have to retreat and take some time to come to my senses, thinking things out on my own.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
People who appear smug, egotistical, or arrogant. I dislike people who are condescending towards others or treat others as if they're stupid. I can tolerate most people and keep my opinions of others to myself and close friends but that's just a rough explanation of what annoys me.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Nothing in particular, I don't have much in the way of interests. But like I said in question 7, I enjoy having really weird conversations with people, mostly with close friends. Normal conversations seem to bore me so the weirder the better. Coming up with weird ideas is a fun thing to discuss.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
I don't pay much attention to other people, I don't tend to find it interesting listening to what they have to say.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
It's difficult to say, I don't pay much attention to how they view me. But whatever their perception may be it's probably wrong, at least when it comes to people I know in real life. I don't get close to anyone I know in real life as I find it difficult to open up. As for people online, they tend to know me better. I still can't say how they perceive me though, if it's important for you to know I can ask.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
I'd probably just stay at home. Play some games, watch some tv, surf the internet. If you need me to go into more detail on this then please ask. Generally I'd just try my best to avoid boredom, which comes very quickly.

·
Registered
INFP
1,191 Posts
If I had to make a guess, I would say you're most likely ISTJ. I'm going to explain my thought process below, but since it doesn't look like you have much (if any) knowledge of cognitive functions, this might seem a bit confusing at first. However, these functions are ultimately the key to finding your type as they really get into how your thought processes work and don't just skim the surface like the letters (E-I, S-N, etc.) do.

Your Te/Fi (thinking/feeling) functions seem to be pretty balanced - your Te pushes you to strive to be ambitious and actively pursue goals, but your Fi reins you in and doesn't actually let you do this unless you feel personally invested in what you're doing. As an Fi/Te user myself, I definitely relate to this, but since my Fi is dominant (my strongest function), it often wins out, and I find it difficult to get things done unless I absolutely have to.

Assuming your Te is auxiliary (second-strongest function) and your Fi is tertiary (third-strongest function), that only leaves two possibilities - INTJ and ISTJ. The reason why I think you're the latter is that there's a lot of evidence here of your intuitive function being inferior (not as strong as your other functions). Questions 5, 7, and 17 demonstrate that you most likely use Ne, but 9 and 15 seem to indicate that your hold on it isn't too strong - you prefer to only focus your attention on one thing at a time and can become paranoid under stress. All of that is inferior Ne.

Ultimately, though, I could very well be wrong. What I think you need to do is to read up on cognitive functions and see how they fit you - once you do that, your type should become much clearer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can definitely spot lots of Fi and Te. I'll keep analysing..

ISTJ likely, but I haven't spotted a lot of Si. You didn't show appreciation for Se either.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
@fraser.brown245 -

J>P seems fairly likely: things such as wariness of improvisation, dislike of short notice plans, distaste for the unexpected, &c., all point towards this. I wouldn't rule out the P types, but I think J is rather more likely to be correct; if you're interested in looking further into J/P as a dimension in itself, compare the two preferences here.

I agree with the above posts that there's less evidence as to S/N generally. The response you gave to Q8 seems more N than S by a fair way (a need to fully understand something in theory before you can work with it in the physical realm), but stress over future possibilities (Q15) is commonly associated with xSxJ types... I'd call it inconclusive at this stage. Have a look over the information provided here and see if one is particularly more like you than the other.

As you would expect from the results you've previously obtained on tests, IxTx seems a fairly strong fit.

I have substantial reservations about the accuracy and applicability of the "cognitive functions" side of the MBTI theory, but you should at least be aware of it so you can make a determination on that matter for yourself. Given that, I'd encourage you to look into information about cognitive functions and "type dynamics" - this model is the generally prevalent one that people on this site seem inclined to adhere to, though it's worth mentioning that the MBTI itself doesn't assert an orientation for the tertiary, and that other theoretical models have also been asserted. If you are an IxTJ, then theoretically either your S or N function should be dominant, which is difficult to reconcile with your certainty on T>F and uncertainty on S/N... as I said, I'd encourage you to look into it and make a determination for yourself as to whether it's accurate.

So my take is IxTJ, and I'd be interested to know what you make of the S/N comparison I linked to above; I wouldn't rule P out entirely at this stage (especially if you determine cognitive functions to be theoretically sound, since you'd need to be a P type to be an introvert and T-dominant), but J seems to me the more likely of the two based on your questionnaire responses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I quickly took a look at the cognitive functions, I've decided on which I feel make sense to me more. The results may contradict what I mentioned earlier in the questionnaire but having taken a look at the functions these are the ones which I feel apply to me more. Te, Fi, Se, Ni (random order). Similarly to what StunnedFox mentioned about IxTJ's having N/S as dominant, this would imply my Ni is dominant and given that I'm not particularly certain with my N/S it would seem odd to label myself as an INTJ. Unless there's any way in which an INTJ can have a slightly undeveloped Ni, but that seems highly unlikely considering it's well... dominant. Anyway I'll take a look at N/S and give you my impression on it. I'll also look into P types. Sorry I haven't gone into much detail with this reply, it's kinda... 3 in the morning. I'll write another reponse tomorrow when I have the time. Anyway, thanks for everyones help so far.

·
Banned
63 Posts
I have a similar predicament.
I've tried all sorts of methods and I'm still torn between INTP and INTJ. I always get 1% judging or perceiving. I read the description of the childhood of each and INTJ seems to apply much more than INTP, but apart from the childhood I believe I am much more of an INTP. How can I work out which type I really am?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have a similar predicament.
I've tried all sorts of methods and I'm still torn between INTP and INTJ. I always get 1% judging or perceiving. I read the description of the childhood of each and INTJ seems to apply much more than INTP, but apart from the childhood I believe I am much more of an INTP. How can I work out which type I really am?
If you haven't already, make your own thread and answer a questionnaire at the top of the forum. The types are functional opposites so answering a questionnaire and having others evaluate what functions you display is the most productive thing you can do.
@fraser.brown245 Unfortunately I can't offer any insight towards the perception confusion, only thing I can think is that the stereotype is that intuitives tend to like coming up with the weird stuff and sensors tend to be "normal". You definitely seem IxTJ as stated before. Eh... Alternatively you could be IxFP. Especially ISFP if you don't relate to the functions in any particular order, but you do relate to those the most.

·
Registered
ENTP 7w6 so/sp
3,078 Posts
I definitely see Te from your posts - a desire to have everything planned/organized - not comfortable with improvisation.
Don't really get a strong impression of Ni or Si, but I guess - based on your answer to #8 though, neither Si or Se are probably that high for you.

Based on your response to #2, I would be inclined to guess that you're an Ni user who hasn't found an outlet for inspiration.

So INTJ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts