Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Really need some help with my personality type.
I've tried the test numourous times and came across different combinations.

INTP (most of the time), ISTP (a couple), ISTJ/INTJ (less frequent but yes) - I actually kinda think i suit ISTP more.

Anyway, some details about me

1) I wanna retire at 30 and travel around the world
2) I like things to be fast and dislike wasting time waiting
3) It annoys me when people are late/long winded
4) Dislike details and administrative work
5) Get bored easily, job hop, interest hop etc
6) Trying to find the meaning in life
7) Daydream...alot
8) Like to analyse things and weigh my options well. Can be quite indecisive
9) Messy organized
10) Buy things because I need it, not on impulse.
11) Practical
12) Like to analyse theories and apply it to life
13) Outcome is more important than process
14) love analysing people's motive/behaviour
15) Runs
16) Can be very detached at times.
17) Can be quite frank and direct - straight to the point.
18) Likes to plan most of the time but have difficulties trying to stick to it, although I do try
19) Like to juggle many things at one time
20) Can be quite tensed, serious, focused, rigid but can also be relaxed, chilled, laid back

Who am I?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'd narrow it down to ISTP/INTP.

___

An INTP looks like this:
Ti : - Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles.
These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea.
This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work.
The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency.
In so doing, we search for a "leverage point" that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system.
We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what's observed.

Ne - Extraverted iNtuiting involves noticing hidden meanings and interpreting them, often entertaining a wealth of possible interpretations from just one idea or interpreting what someone's behavior really means.
It also involves seeing things "as if," with various possible representations of reality.
Using this process, we can juggle many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our mind at once with the possibility that they are all true.
This is like weaving themes and threads together.
We don't know the weave until a thought thread appears or is drawn out in the interaction of thoughts, often brought in from other contexts. Thus a strategy or concept often emerges from the here-and-now interactions, not appearing as a whole beforehand.
Using this process we can really appreciate brainstorming and trust what emerges, enjoying imaginative play with scenarios and combining possibilities, using a kind of cross-contextual thinking. Extraverted iNtuiting also can involve catalyzing people and extemporaneously shaping situations, spreading an atmosphere of change through emergent leadership.

Si - Introverted Sensing often involves storing data and information, then comparing and contrasting the current situation with similar ones.
The immediate experience or words are instantly linked with the prior experiences, and we register a similarity or a difference—for example, noticing that some food doesn't taste the same or is saltier than it usually is. Introverted Sensing is also operating when we see someone who reminds us of someone else. Sometimes a feeling associated with the recalled image comes into our awareness along with the information itself. Then the image can be so strong, our body responds as if reliving the experience. The process also involves reviewing the past to draw on the lessons of history, hindsight, and experience.
With introverted Sensing, there is often great attention to detail and getting a clear picture of goals and objectives and what is to happen. There can be a oneness with ageless customs that help sustain civilization and culture and protect what is known and long-lasting, even while what is reliable changes.

Fe - The process of extraverted Feeling often involves a desire to connect with (or disconnect from) others and is often evidenced by expressions of warmth (or displeasure) and self-disclosure.
The "social graces," such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, often revolve around the process of extraverted Feeling.
Keeping in touch, laughing at jokes when others laugh, and trying to get people to act kindly to each other also involve extraverted Feeling.
Using this process, we respond according to expressed or even unexpressed wants and needs of others.
We may ask people what they want or need or self-disclose to prompt them to talk more about themselves.
This often sparks conversation and lets us know more about them so we can better adjust our behavior to them.
Often with this process, we feel pulled to be responsible and take care of others' feelings, sometimes to the point of not separating our feelings from theirs.
We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along.

ISTP looks like -

Ti - as defined above

Se - Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail.
We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result.
We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context.
An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention.
Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment.
A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us.
The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.

Ni - Introverted iNtuiting involves synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory, which takes understanding to a new level.
Using this process, we can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to us.
A disengagement from interactions in the room occurs, followed by a sudden "Aha!" or "That's it!" The sense of the future and the realizations that come from introverted iNtuiting have a sureness and an imperative quality that seem to demand action and help us stay focused on fulfilling our vision or dream of how things will be in the future.
Using this process, we might rely on a focal device or symbolic action to predict, enlighten, or transform.
We could find ourselves laying out how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs.
This process can involve working out complex concepts or systems of thinking or conceiving of symbolic or novel ways to understand things that are universal.
It can lead to creating transcendent experiences or solutions.

Fe - As defined above

(Quoted Renna). "Who am I?" No idea.

Hey, try to distinguish Si from Se, Ni from Ne -- see what fits you best. You sound ISTP to me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the description. I kinda thought it would be these two.

Just that at times I can relate to ISTP or INTP and it's frustrating.

I've read forums trying to differentiate S vs N and it just made me even more confused.

·
Registered
277 Posts
"1) I wanna retire at 30 and travel around the world" -- Se
"4) Dislike details and administrative work" -- Se.
"13) Outcome is more important than process." -- Ni (Not necessarily, Ne would want otherwise).
"5) Get bored easily, job hop, interest hop etc." Ne, possibly Se to that.
"16) Can be very detached at times." Ne/Ni
"11) Practical" Se.
"17) Can be quite frank and direct - straight to the point." Te .. ?
"2) I like things to be fast and dislike wasting time waiting" Sounds like me, possibly Te.
I'm not 100 % sure, you could go with ISTP or wait for other people to type you -- I think what you said doesn't suffice, tried answering the questionnaire?

Consider ENTJ.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I am pretty much an I (loner, my friends call me. But contradicts sometimes cause I love to chat with strangers while I'm backpacking so........)

Wasn't aware of the questionaire. (that's a freaking long list.........)

Anyway, here goes.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
Not sure if I live in the present or live more for the future?

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

- to travel and see the world - the world is so big and there's so much to discover
- to make a difference, to leave a mark in the world

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

- Felt appreciated for the things I've done well.
- When I'm travelling and seeing things for the first time, chatting with fellow backpackers/locals just enhanced the experience
- When I've done something exceptionally well and people were impressed
- Doing something meaningful

4) What makes you feel inferior?

- Feeling like I'm not good enough

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

- I stay objective, analyse both sides and seek out its pros and cons. Seek for alternate solutions and do my own research on that issue. Decision don't come easy to me. So when I decide, I make sure I've make thought about it thoroughly.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

Emphasized on getting things done using minimal effort.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

Can't remember. Probably when I was travelling with a group of close friends. Doing something dangerous maybe - like skydiving?

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Hands on to memorize, definitely. I'll need to write for me to absorb.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Messy organized. Things are all over the place but I can find them :)

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I try to understand the principles first and if it makes sense. If it doesn't, I'll look for information that supports it.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

First option.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

Think before I speak and would prefer one on one communication, although sometimes I do enjoy a good debate in a group.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

Like to know where I'm jumping.
I would say it depends. But majority of the time, words are cheap without action.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Say I have plans.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

- Withdrawn, focus on solving the stressor

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

People who are long winded, take 10 years to make a decision (although sometimes i'm like that as well...), slow, always late.
People who likes to stay in their comfort zone and whine about it but take no action to resolve the issue
People who discrimate, judge and stereotype people based on their perceived thought on them, and worst when they try to impose their thoughts on other people.
People who thought that they know me well and try to reason my action like a fact when in fact, they know shit. (Or they may be right but I'll just refuse to admit)
People who likes to attract attention - freaking annoying.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

- My area of expertise
- Something that interest me
- Gossips :)

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

Sometimes I have no idea when somebody leaves the room, or wear the same shirt.
When somebody asked me about an exams which I've done ages who, I have no idea what is it about.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

Anti-social, aloof, private - which I kinda agree except I'm not like that ALL THE TIME
Adventurous/Sporty/Outdoor - Agree, except I do like to hide at home at times as well
Witty/Humourous - Agree :)
All talk no action - Agree because I am weighing my options
Think too much - Yes
Weird because I'm too anti-social and I don't give a shit about it - Agree, except I do care how some people think about me. Small number though.
Serious - Yes, but I can be chilled and laid back as well.

Never say about me:

- Outspoken/Sociable

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

I'll plan a whole day of activites and ended up just slacking at home. lol

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sounds ISTPish to me. See if you can relate to other awesome ISTPs ISTP Forum - The Mechanics, you clearly emphasize on Ti and Se -- you probably have a well developed Ni to that.

"Thanks. I am pretty much an I (loner, my friends call me. But contradicts sometimes cause I love to chat with strangers while I'm backpacking so........)" -- Remember that introvert means inwardly focused, spending time alone doesn't necessarily make you an introvert. Making some fine coffee is being extroverted (focused on the external).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) Thanks once again.

read it previously and sometimes I just cannot relate how they notice things like clothes, senses and smell.....
Other than that i can pretty much relate

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'd try the function analysis test -> Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes
It'll tell you what type you are based on how well you've developed your functions -- it'll also suggest possible alternatives. It can be somewhat harder to distinguish your type when you get older because you are forced to develop the shadow functions sooner or later (even though they end up draining you), you get wellrounded so to speak.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Yea I dont think you're an Extraverted Thinking type so I personally would dismiss NTJ and STJ. I get an ISTP vibe from you, simply because the things you are interested in discovering or exploring are physical (INTPs are much more comfortable in the ideational or even esoteric - things like philosophy or quantum physics, or Lord of the Rings lol -- this is sort of common to people who prefer Intuition, they often don't live in the real world and may not be as grounded as sensation types might). You seem pretty down to earth, I think your practicality comes from Sensation and Thinking being your two dominant functions. I also suspect you may have a slight Ni bent. There's definitely some Fe there too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts