Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo!

Sorry that one of my first posts here has to be me asking what my type is, but I also figure there's no reason to beat around the bush, and perhaps some education would better inform my ability to post.

I typically test as INTJ, though sometimes as INTP (usually, I feel those tests overcompensate for the fact that I wing a lot of things and I'm basically allergic to organization. What makes me a J is that I typically take a stance and stick with it). That said, I feel completely in the middle when it comes to thinking and feeling as, on the one hand, I feel like overly thinking types can be cold-hearted, but on the other hand, I feel like overly feeling types can be wishy-washy. Both annoy me, though I usually type as T because I value my logical side over my emotional side, which, unfortunately, is very, very present (I am often accused of being a drama queen because I have depression/GAD which can spiral out of hand). That said, I can be very empathetic, and I value my empathetic qualities.

But T/F is not my only area of confusion. I also seem to have a lot of confusion over S/N. On the one hand, I learn best by being given the overall picture before diving into the nitty-gritty, I tend to excel in more N-related fields (languages, literature, history, philosophy, anthropology, etc) and in fact did not really excel in school until I could use my abilities to analyze/synthesize over my abilities just to memorize tons of facts, I tend to prefer the metaphorical to the literal, and I am very good with creative writing (my stories often involve very strange plots, and my poems are often about seeing familiar things in new or abstract ways and making connections which were not made previously). On the other hand, I am told that, although being given an overabundance of details totally throws me for a loop, I have an eye for detail, and can often destroy an argument by focusing on one out-of-place detail or one assumption made by the argument-giver. In addition, I get very attached to objects, usually for one of two reasons: (1)It reminds me of something, or (2)I could use it later. Although I have little interest in the "community" or in "traditions" (in fact, I see myself as being very much an outsider... and people seem to agree with this sentiment), I'm typically pretty well-behaved, and I don't see much of a need to rock the boat unless someone is saying or doing something that is just egregiously wrong. I've considered ISTJ, but one major issue I have with the ISTJ type is that, while I am hard working, I am only hard working in academic fields, usually because I enjoy learning things. Making me do anything else is like making a cat do tricks--possible, but very difficult, and met with much aggravation. "Community interest" is not usually one of my prime motivators. In addition, whenever I see ISTJ types in action, even if parts of the description might fit me, I usually find myself saying, "NOPE NOPE NOPE ABORT MISSION ABORT MISSION!" One major thing that might sway me in favor of S, however, is that I have difficulties trusting people now because so many others have hurt me in the past. It's very difficult for me to suddenly see people in a new light just because they're different people from the ones previous.

Eh, that last item might be a weird detail to end on, but I don't really have much else to say. So, what say you?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sound like an NT to me, but college kids are often mistyped when in school. INFJ is possible, poems & getting attached to things.. Even though I've developed Fi/Fe I still have no sentimental value. INTP's inferior function is Fe so definitely not that.

You can still use Si (looking back) as an INTJ / INFJ. It's Se (experiencing the present with 5 senses) that is the inferior and hardest to develop.

What are some things you feel deeply about?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaaah, yes! One thing my friends have noticed about me is that I seem to have an eye for implementation. For instance, one time, an INTJ friend gave me a program which utilized a specialized computer code in order to create story-games. As a creative writer, I was instantly fascinated by it, and immediately began wondering how I could use this program to give new dimension to my writing. Unfortunately, I wound up not doing much with the program because I'd need an artist to make full use of its functionality, but still, he noted that my immediate reaction was to do something with the new thing, rather than just learning the new thing for the new thing's sake.

EDIT: Whoops, it seems you changed your reply! Ah, well. The point stands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sound like an NT to me, but college kids are often mistyped when in school. INFJ is possible, poems & getting attached to things.. Even though I've developed Fi/Fe I still have no sentimental value. INTP's inferior function is Fe so definitely not that.

You can still use Si (looking back) as an INTJ / INFJ. It's Se (experiencing the present with 5 senses) that is the inferior and hardest to develop.

What are some things you feel deeply about?
As for that last question:
I feel very deeply about education and social justice (but not the type that's paraded around the internet because that's creepy). I tried to think of more things, but basically everything I care about somehow falls under one of those two categories. I guess to get more specific, I care very much that others around me are informed enough to make rational decisions. Poor logic/rhetoric makes me quite upset. In addition, I love learning as much as I can about basically everything from new languages to religions (I take a very stand-offish approach, though) to quantum physics to cat conservation to ancient culture to just about everything. As far as social justice is concerned, I try to approach it from a rational point of view which takes into consideration the entire picture, not just one or two screaming fanatics, while ensuring that society is able to reach an ideal point.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think it's going to come down to whether you personally think your preference is T or F. I'd love to hear from an INFJ what similarities he/she has with you and if she/he share: "I care very much that others around me are informed enough to make rational decisions. Poor logic/rhetoric makes me quite upset." We definitely share that in common, but as far as the merit for traditional education (other than for networking, medical/govt career), social justice, ancient culture: I personally can not relate.

Also it's cool you try to approach things from a rational point of view (I do too), it's interesting to note both INTJ & INFJ are irrational types due to their dominate function being Ni though. Seeing all kinds of different possibilities and then trying to justify the one they think is right (their vision) with logic is trade mark for INTJ. Allows us to be more creative than rational types like say an ENTJ who uses facts first to create their vision. I'm not sure how it work with Fi as the auxiliary Maybe they justify their vision with how they feel about it. Like social justice. /shrug

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's going to come down to whether you personally think your preference is T or F. I'd love to hear from an INFJ what similarities he/she has with you and if she/he share: "I care very much that others around me are informed enough to make rational decisions. Poor logic/rhetoric makes me quite upset." We definitely share that in common, but as far as the merit for traditional education (other than for networking, medical/govt career), social justice, ancient culture: I personally can not relate.

Also it's cool you try to approach things from a rational point of view (I do too), it's interesting to note both INTJ & INFJ are irrational types due to their dominate function being Ni though. Seeing all kinds of different possibilities and then trying to justify the one they think is right (their vision) with logic is trade mark for INTJ. Allows us to be more creative than rational types like say an ENTJ who uses facts first to create their vision. I'm not sure how it work with Fi as the auxiliary Maybe they justify their vision with how they feel about it. Like social justice. /shrug
Yes, I, too, would like to hear from an INFJ, though from knowing the INTJs and the INFJs in my life... I think I'm a little closer to the INTJs. I almost feel as though I had to develop more feeling functionality as I got older in order to cope with certain things that happened. In fact, it's rather because I had to develop so much feeling functionality that I feel as though I'm straddling between the two now.

I'm not entirely certain that I would say that I'm enthusiastic about traditional education, especially given the fact that traditional education tends to be shallow and is mostly used to create the ideal citizen, knowing just enough to get by, but knowing little enough to be easily duped by corporate and government. When I say that I feel deeply about education, I mean that I feel deeply about the ability to explore my curiosities to my heart's content. It's surprising how many people pay lip service to this concept, but then frown upon others who choose to educate themselves in less popular fields ("BUT IT DOESN'T PAY MONEY!" But, like, I don't care. I want to know anyway.). While I do care very much that others are educated, most of my concern with them centers around their abilities to construct arguments, as that is how I deal with others.

As far as social justice and ancient cultures are concerned... I can say with a fair amount of confidence that I know other NTs who seem to be passionate about these two things, too, so there's that.

But before I seem like I'm making the argument too much for NT, I'll make an argument for NF. Whenever I write, I write very character-based stories. If the characters are not real to me, I have little interest in writing the story. My favorite book, The Brothers Karamazov, is such both because of the philosophical questions posed (even if I don't agree with Dostoevsky's conclusions) and because of the characters (I love Alyosha, but Ivan is the one I identify with the most).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts