Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum and the world of personality types. I've taken a few tests online but don't believe them to be completely accurate in trying to understand a person's way of thinking. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I'd at least get a human perspective

1) I'm full of contradictions. nothing is ever simply or straightforward in how i feel.

2) I dislike small talk. It makes me uncomfortable. I never know what to say, and I don't know where the boundaries should be drawn, so I'm usually very curt and timid when engaging with strangers/acquaintances

3) On the other hand, I do enjoy being around people. I like to go out, do the whole party thing, and eventually, talk to people. However, I would never approach someone and need to be probed out of my shell a bit. The more I connect with people, the better I feel.

4) Contradicting myself once again, I enjoy my solitude immensely. I definitely need my alone time to reflect and regain a sense of calm.

5) I am constantly saying/thinking, "I don't know how I feel about that".

6) Intellectually, I am interested in the sciences and psychology. However, the natural sciences aren't necessarily something I am naturally gifted in and conceptual math is NOT my thing. As a child I read way, way, way more than the average kid and tend do so now every so often. I love discussing philosophy, although it does take me a while "to get it".

7) It is difficult for me to take a lot of these personality tests. When it comes down to it, it is hard for me to accurately determine how I make decisions and how I intrinsically see the world. I feel like I am too in my own head to make an objective claim towards my subjectivity (if that makes any sense...)

8) I am worrier (about the big things and the people in my life)

9) It's hard for me to take extreme friendliness/bubbliness seriously

10) I can get very emotional, although I don't like to show it. Little things can send me over the edge. At the same time, I can get over things relatively quickly. I don't like to hold grudges.

11) I can be very impatient (could also just be a product of childhood environment in a big city)

12) I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I think that I am capable of seeing all sides of a situation, which makes it difficult for me to have definitive opinions on things. I think that I am constantly evolving, and am different from one day to the next. Kind of wishy-washy

13) I can be pretty cynical. I just want people to be GENUINE. Authenticity (esp. of feelings) is a big thing for me. I feel that most people aren't true to themselves/true to me. This either leads me to not trust people and become very insecure or just not care about them.

14) I like to be organized. I love making lists. I like things to be clean and aesthetically pleasing.

15) I can be pretty indecisive, especially about trivial things. When it comes to making big decisions, I think I usually know what is 'right'

16) I am a procrastinator because I am a perfectionist.

17) I feel like I can constantly improve upon myself.

18) I can be pretty analytical, especially when it comes to the external world. I am constantly giving advice to my friends, helping them seeing through the fog so to speak.

19) Religion/spirituality is very important to me. I don't pay too much attention to the rules, but instead the genuine feel of it.

20) I've been told I am a hard person to get to know. I don't like to reveal a lot of myself to others, although I wish I could. Sometimes I feel that what is going on internally is too complex for someone to get. Trying to explain it to them just confuses me.

21) I'm quick to criticize.

22) But when it comes down to it, I have a huge conscious and I hate to hurt people. I cry when I realize how much I've hurt people I care about.

23) I SUCK at adapting. I'm becoming better at it, but change is hard for me. I often long for what was, which makes me feel like I'll never be satisfied. Grass is always greener type.

24) I daydream a lot. I want to do so many things... but I'm lazy. And cautious.

25) I like to have control over my relationships

26) When I am feeling really stressed it is near impossible for me to mask it. I become a crazy bitch and a really sad yet angry person

27) I often feel a strong urge to share things with people but tend to hold back a lot

28) I don't like it when plans abruptly change. It goes back to me not being able to adapt well. Once I have my heart set on something or a framework of something laid out in my head, it's hard for me to accept alterations. I also easily feel betrayed.

29) I'm not really artistically inclined but I definitely appreciate it. I love going to museums and galleries - it's easy for me to accept art just for the sake of beauty, but I also like being able to make connections between a certain piece and an era in time/culture/etc.

30) I'm fascinated by causation - why things are the way we are, specifically why people are a certain way. I like to find meaning behind things

31) I love sarcasm. It makes me pretty good at witty banter as well.

32) I care a lot about how I am perceived by the rest of the world

33) I like figuring out puzzles and riddles

34) Taking advantage of my time is not something I'm good at. I try to live in the moment, but it's a struggle. Again, I'm lazy and a daydreamer

35) I tend to feel insecure in my relationships with others

36) I can definitely offend people, although I don't mean to. I feel guilty about it usually, but sometimes I think it's necessary to get a point across

37) Career wise, I want to do something that helps people, but maybe in a more indirect way (still a college student, headed for a degree in neuroscience)

38) I'm not really a writer, but I do like to play around with words

39) I see the future as open

40) I only really see my own emotions as genuine if they are logical (or at least I try to rationalize them) .. more understanding of others though

Reading this list makes me think I belong to any type that is the most self-depricating.

Anywho, I tried to describe myself in ways that could possibly be indicative of a certain type. It's something I've recently become fascinated by, especially because i don't think any test I have taken has been accurate. I just want to understand myself a lil better. Thoughts? Do you ever feel like you don't belong to any type?

THANKS FOR READING THIS IF YOU DID I KNOW ITS SUPER LONG

·
Registered
93 Posts
2) I dislike small talk. It makes me uncomfortable. I never know what to say, and I don't know where the boundaries should be drawn, so I'm usually very curt and timid when engaging with strangers/acquaintances
(I)

39) I see the future as open
(N)

3) On the other hand, I do enjoy being around people. I like to go out, do the whole party thing, and eventually, talk to people. However, I would never approach someone and need to be probed out of my shell a bit. The more I connect with people, the better I feel.
(F)

28) I don't like it when plans abruptly change. It goes back to me not being able to adapt well. Once I have my heart set on something or a framework of something laid out in my head, it's hard for me to accept alterations. I also easily feel betrayed.
(J)

I'm thinking INFJ? I'm no expert, of course, so these are only musings. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I definitely relate to INF more than other types, but usually test as INTP, which I find to be a little weird

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks! I definitely relate to INF more than other types, but usually test as INTP, which I find to be a little weird
Eh, tests, right?

Most of what you choose to say about yourself concerns complex emotional states and positions. I believe those with an F preference have greater complexity in value judgments, because they make more value decisions over a given timeline. Ts, according to my observations, are much more "I love this; I hate this" than Fs are, who have complex positions like "I like this about this, but on the other hand, don't like this aspect," and so on. I think you're F.

I seems more likely than E, N more than S, but P/J...This is the rare situation where I don't see one or the other as immediately more fitting. Forcing myself to take a position, I'll say INFP, not that I'm confident.

Reactions: natashka

·
Registered
543 Posts
I could have been the one writing this, but some things like 'adapting' i'm very adaptable, because somehow i know i will be ok.
I could say INFJ but you seem more INFP to me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well, just from what you've described, you seem a lot like an INFJ friend of mine. Not only that, but my initial thought was "INFJ...totally."

You like connecting with people, but it's draining and you need your alone time. I have heard from this particular INFJ friend that this is something she has difficulty coming to terms with in her life. She wishes she could be more like an INTx type and not necessarily have this dichotomy within herself.

However, that could be an INFx thing in general. I wouldn't totally rule out INFP, either. That being said, I perceive that you use Fe more comfortably than Fi. At the same time, though, I really do see characteristics of both INFJ and INFP in you. Do you know your enneagram type? That might help a little bit in narrowing it down.

But yeah, I'd bet money on INFx.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
What do you spend the most time thinking about as an introvert?

1. Your values.
2. Picking things or ideas apart to get down to the roots of how something works.
3. Reviewing experiences and pseudo-experiences.
4. Foreseeing what might be based on focal points and things symbolic. Not immediately relevant to most people.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Couple of possibilities...

INTJ and INFJ seem to be the most likely ones. I can relate on being a perfectionist, enjoy solving puzzles, disliking small talk and a few other things. All the logical, rational stuff makes me think INTJ is slightly more probable but that's just a guess from my view.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I'd bet good money on INFJ

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
My vote goes to infj also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you spend the most time thinking about as an introvert?

1. Your values.
2. Picking things or ideas apart to get down to the roots of how something works.
3. Reviewing experiences and pseudo-experiences.
4. Foreseeing what might be based on focal points and things symbolic. Not immediately relevant to most people.
I think about a variety of things, but on a general level I tend to contemplate my relationship with the external world. I do a lot of self-reflection and daydreaming. I try to analyze how I feel about about past events - it takes me a while to digest things and come up with an opinion. I also spend a lot of time wondering about other people's perspectives and how/why things came to be

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If you are INFJ, then that's not surprising if you read about function types. T and F are the judging functions (how you make decisions), N and S are the perceiving functions (how you get your info), J means the most used judging function is extraverted and P means the most used judging function is introverted.

In theory, an INFJs top cognitive functions are Ni Fe Ti Se where i or e show whether the intuitive, feeling, thinking or sensing function is introverted or extraverted.
When they act more introverted they use their Ni/Ti functions more and their judging function Fe less. So when testing, they can look like a TP (who uses Ti) instead of an FJ (who uses Fe).

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
pc3000 is correct. In the past, I have speculated that I might be an INTP due to this characteristic of me using Ti a lot to pick certain things I reflect upon apart.

The main thing distinguishing IXXPs and IXXJs is that the IXXP lets their view of the external world be flexible so that they can make judgements that are usually kept to themselves. INFPs and ISFPs tend not to express their values and feelings to other people except for perhaps a very close friend. Likewise, INTPs are not just analyzing theories and so on to apply their understanding to systems that work in the real world. IXXPs learn to understand themselves and learn for the sake of learning as a way of developing themselves. By doing this, they can help other people.

IXXJs are more concerned about implementing their ideas and values that usually take into account efficiency/overall effectiveness and/or how it will affect a group of people. This trait is mostly prominent in EXXJs. IXXJs tend to do less implementing and more contemplation on how they would go by implementing their ideas.

Lets consider a scenario in that you are going to start a business by having your own restaurant be built and so on.

An IXFJ might say "I want to build this restaurant because I feel that the idea will get received in a positive way. I want everyone to be having a good time here."

The more logical thinking IXTJ would think "I want to build this restaurant and make it so that it will run more smoothly than the last one and not get backed up by the high demands of the customers."

Likewise perceivers like the IXFP would think "This is my special restaurant. I like how I have this and that. I hope you'll like it too."

The IXTP: "Lets see how this place turns out. I want to hear the good and bad. Tell me everything wrong about it. I really want to understand what it means and takes to run a business like this."

Hope this helps :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that example. I definitely relate to the IXFJ mode of thinking.

I only speculate being INFJ because I often read about how INFJs are people pleasers. While I definitely have an intrinsic desire to help people, I wouldn't really characterize myself as a nice person. I've been called a bitch countless times. I don't ever really have a desire to hurt people (I forgive very easily & quickly), but sometimes my emotions get the best of me and I can lash out. I can be very blunt with people... although it always comes from a good place. I see myself as a caring person, but it is hard for me to express how much I do care.

What should I make of all that? I always see people characterizing NFs as being really nice and kind and warm... but I don't think I come off that way at all.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
As an IXFJ, I would like to reply to this because I know you want feedback and I'd hate it myself if I didn't get an answer.

NFs are not happy teddy bears all the time. No one is. Plus, if you are introverted, you might come across as cold when you don't mean to be. Even users with extraverted feeling as a supportive function like the INFJ. I think INFJ is a good fit for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts