Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite a number of Japanese Horror films - such as The Ring, The Grudge, One Missed Call - have been remade by the Americans.
Please disregard those (trashy) remakes for this thread.
The J-Horror subgenre is considered to be, by far, amongst the scariest. Ringu, Ju-On - these films have risen to fame from both the Japanese versions and the American counterparts. Other, lesser known (to Americans) examples of J-Horror, still, are considered to be of the utmost quality and fear.
Have you ever watched them? Which ones? Who'd you rate them? Were they better than American horror films, both originals and remakes?

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I like J-horror. Definitely better than American horror movies, in my opinion. Search for "Swan's Japanese Horror Reviews" on youtube. He has reviewed pretty much everything that is worth watching when it comes to J-horror movies.

Audition, Marebito, Strange Circus, One Missed Call, Suicide Club, and Dark Water are my favorites. I'd also mention Tokyo Gore Police, but it's more funny than scary, unless gore really upsets you.

Slightly off topic, but Korea makes some good horror movies, as well. I don't know about China, though. I've seen one Chinese horror movie, which was good, but nothing else.

Bunshinsaba and A Tale of Two Sisters are two K-horror movies I really recommend.

·
Registered
479 Posts
J-Horror's awesomeee. Takashi Miike makes damn good movies. Audition and Ichi the Killer are amazing.

(... But my favorite foreign horror movie is REC. Viva Espana! ^^ )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts