Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny title to say I know XD.

This is concerning the J aspect of being a INFJ. I make list and I plan things out on paper future goals and career opitions etc., but then if I set out to make a schedule for me to follow daily on paper I cannot do it. (Kinda a contradiction, but yeah.) I have to follow the schedule in my head. I live by a schedule everyday I count every min and Im usually on time. I go through the same routine everyday. Drink the same drink and so forth. I go through the same paths everyday also I watch the same stuff. You get the point. I like schedules. When people say they gonna be somewhere at a time and are not it is one of the most annoying things ever. I hate when people are late. :)

I am not sure if this is a J or P thing but I am also very cautious when friends try to make plans with me I typically tell them Im not sure i'll let you know. Because anything could happen between that time and this time. I like to leave it open just in case something comes up and I wont flake on them.

The one thing I cannot do is make decisions easily. It takes me forever to make a decisions. I figure my life can change depending on the decision I make. So I want to know if any INFJ have any of the same kind of things going on? Or is this stuff is more like a P thing?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm dealing with the same things! I sometimes doubt being INFJ. About the routine I do exactly the same almost everyday and about decision making, sometimes I know what I want but then it comes something better and I don't know what to choose and I analyze a lot about the pros and cons about each decision. Even though, I know that I'm because I wake up every morning and know what I'm doing during the day and I get stressed if something comes out of nowhere. I also know that I INFJ because I know what I want to do in the future and have everything prepared to follow that plans I have. Lastly, I want to add that I also get angry (sometimes furious) when someone is late or when you are waiting for someone and then they call you and cancel plans. That's the most stressful thing on earth!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm organized about somethings, but I have no sense of time. I don't like details. I try to keep a schedule. thing about me is that I like having a plan but I just has happy changing it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Funny title to say I know XD.

This is concerning the J aspect of being a INFJ. I make list and I plan things out on paper future goals and career opitions etc., but then if I set out to make a schedule for me to follow daily on paper I cannot do it. (Kinda a contradiction, but yeah.) I have to follow the schedule in my head. I live by a schedule everyday I count every min and Im usually on time. I go through the same routine everyday. Drink the same drink and so forth. I go through the same paths everyday also I watch the same stuff. You get the point. I like schedules. When people say they gonna be somewhere at a time and are not it is one of the most annoying things ever. I hate when people are late. :)

I am not sure if this is a J or P thing but I am also very cautious when friends try to make plans with me I typically tell them Im not sure i'll let you know. Because anything could happen between that time and this time. I like to leave it open just in case something comes up and I wont flake on them.

The one thing I cannot do is make decisions easily. It takes me forever to make a decisions. I figure my life can change depending on the decision I make. So I want to know if any INFJ have any of the same kind of things going on? Or is this stuff is more like a P thing?
In many ways I'm like this even though I wouldn’t say I don’t make decisions easily I attribute that to being cautious. I prefer to have time to think about the consequences of the decision though that just applies to important decisions and not what I want to eat or anything like that.

I hate being late or anyone being late also. I make plans in my head but not on paper and even though I might be annoyed if they are changed I can readjust them if necessary.

I think this is more on the J side of the continuum.

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep there a lot of things involve when it comes making plans I take things and into consideration there for I always say I'll let you know, but I have to say making decision is what I am worst at. Do you guys agree?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with all of you who said something along the lines of not accepting invites to events too early. The reason is because I don't want to end up being a flaker. Before, when I used to say yes when my friends invited me to something, I realized I really disliked the feeling of not being able to make it sometimes to those events. It was the worst thing in the world to have to call them and tell them I can't make it at the last minute. So now, before I say yes to anything, I have to really plan ahead and see if I will definitely be able to make it.

Also, when I'm at home and I need to run errands, I like to always make a mental plan about where I'm going and where to go first, all the way down to the last destination. Often, using Google, I plan ahead in order to minimize the time/distance traveled, and make it as efficient as possible. I use Google street view also, in order to familiarize myself with the surroundings, so I'll recognize a place when I get there.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Eh, I can understand how the P/J dicotomy could useful to separate personality profiles, but in practice it just does not work so neatly as the deffinitions suggest, which, ultimately, create this sort of confusion.
I think that the P/J still there because it creates the last needed separation in profiles. It looks better than ENF1 and ENF2 in my opinion but holds no more value.
It really just falls to the functions

·
Registered
392 Posts
I came into Personality Cafe thinking I was INFP, although my first couple tests revealed INFJ. I am really close on the J/P thing, obviously. Anyway, the inability to make decisions quickly can also be attributed to introversion and not necessarily to the J/P index. Introverts tend to want to think first and act/commit second, which necessitates getting alone or avoidance.

On this note, I'm curious about the J/P thing... I'm not that person who is really upset with other people not being on time, etc., neither am I very organized or scheduled; pretty spontaneous actually. I AM, however, continually bothered by my own P-ness, so much so that I am now pretty sure of being a J.

Reactions: Irisheyes

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too can be a complete J or look very P for all the reasons you've discussed. I am also a chronic procrastinator when it comes to deadlines.

Here's my professional explanation/opinion. Our Ni is so strong that it conflicts with our J. Meaning we are constantly searching for options and looking at things from different perspectives and that often gets in the way of us making deciions, working on projects, committing to plans etc.

For instance, if I have to write a report...I spend so much time Ni'ing, searching for the perfect topic, researching, looking at it from different angles, envisioning what i want it to be, etc. that I have a hard time cutting myself off and moving to action.

I think the major difference between us as NJ's and P's is that these P-like behaviors bother us and we are always aware of them and feel guilty about them! Typically P's are oblivious to the fact that they're behaving that way and/or do not care that it could have negative repurcussions. SJ's are typically much more organized and planful than NJ's.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I too can be a complete J or look very P for all the reasons you've discussed. I am also a chronic procrastinator when it comes to deadlines.

Here's my professional explanation/opinion. Our Ni is so strong that it conflicts with our J. Meaning we are constantly searching for options and looking at things from different perspectives and that often gets in the way of us making deciions, working on projects, committing to plans etc.

For instance, if I have to write a report...I spend so much time Ni'ing, searching for the perfect topic, researching, looking at it from different angles, envisioning what i want it to be, etc. that I have a hard time cutting myself off and moving to action.

I think the major difference between us as NJ's and P's is that these P-like behaviors bother us and we are always aware of them and feel guilty about them! Typically P's are oblivious to the fact that they're behaving that way and/or do not care that it could have negative repurcussions. SJ's are typically much more organized and planful than NJ's.
Thanks! That is spot on my experience too...
:happy:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I'm going to be completely honest with you when I say I didn't bother reading the OP.

I read the title of this thread aloud and giggled like a schoolgirl.

I am such a child.

But I think I get the gist of it. I have an equal J/P score. Sometimes it makes my head a mess. I have no other way to describe how my mutant-ism feels, aside from thinking of it like a "nonstop infomercial".

My intuition always knows exactly what to do in any situation that requires my awareness. The problem then becomes whether I act on it (J) or observe (P). More often than not I choose P, but I'm learning to be a bit more assertive with my thoughts-- sharpening my J, so to speak.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Eh, I can understand how the P/J dicotomy could useful to separate personality profiles, but in practice it just does not work so neatly as the deffinitions suggest, which, ultimately, create this sort of confusion.
I think that the P/J still there because it creates the last needed separation in profiles. It looks better than ENF1 and ENF2 in my opinion but holds no more value.
It really just falls to the functions
I was going to ask if this title is related to our Fe you know the J part...I do think the J/P helps narrow things down in a stereotypical way.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow...everything you just mentioned described me. :laughing:
I'm organized about somethings, but I have no sense of time. I don't like details. I try to keep a schedule. thing about me is that I like having a plan but I just has happy changing it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I too thought I was an infp...now there's no doubt. :happy:
I came into Personality Cafe thinking I was INFP, although my first couple tests revealed INFJ. I am really close on the J/P thing, obviously. Anyway, the inability to make decisions quickly can also be attributed to introversion and not necessarily to the J/P index. Introverts tend to want to think first and act/commit second, which necessitates getting alone or avoidance.

On this note, I'm curious about the J/P thing... I'm not that person who is really upset with other people not being on time, etc., neither am I very organized or scheduled; pretty spontaneous actually. I AM, however, continually bothered by my own P-ness, so much so that I am now pretty sure of being a J.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

For instance, if I have to write a report...I spend so much time Ni'ing, searching for the perfect topic, researching, looking at it from different angles, envisioning what I want it to be, etc. that I have a hard time cutting myself off and moving to action.

For INFJ's our "J" is our second function. In MBTI profiling for Introverts the J or P is the second function and Extroverted. It's not that Ni is conflicting our J side it is just that our J side comes second to our first function. The J and P represents how we deal with the outer world for Introverts this comes second for some last if ever. We are dominantly Perceiving type's while having to be a Judging type on the outside...kinda contradicting huh.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
For INFJ's our "J" is our second function. In MBTI profiling for Introverts the J or P is the second function and Extroverted. It's not that Ni is conflicting our J side it is just that our J side comes second to our first function. The J and P represents how we deal with the outer world for Introverts this comes second for some last if ever. We are dominantly Perceiving type's while having to be a Judging type on the outside...kinda contradicting huh.
Sometimes I think the whole MBTI system is biased toward Extraverts... Most people don't even get as far as getting your point, even less the differences in nuances between the introvert and extravert version of each functions, where I think most tests and description focus more on the extraverted form (with the possible exception of N)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I AM, however, continually bothered by my own P-ness
(Clear throat) I, um, hope that...yeah...no one read this the way it sounds out loud. :unsure:

Forgive me for drawing attention to it, but if it wasn't me, then, well, it may have been someone else who capitalized on it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
This has always perplexed me too. The fact that J/P describes preference in dealing with the "outside world" means that a "P" person (whether introvert or extravert) is seemingly without any dominant or auxiliary "deciding" process, which seems to mean that such a person is limited only to impact the world with tertiary and inferior functions, (which could mean being very ineffective in the world). In fact, the introverted judging process can be a very decisive process concerning the outside world and how it affects the inner life (and vice-versa)and therefore able to affect it in a very profound way.

Being dominant perceiving types, obviously, our impact can also be profound...these are just thoughts coming to me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts