Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I get INFJ pretty consistently on most tests and the description seems to be spot-on in almost every single aspect. However, I have tested INFP once or twice and when you separate the J characteristics from the P characteristics... I appear almost completely as a P. Thus I am left to wonder if I was forced to become a J to survive my current life? Or am I a P that's faking J? Or am I really just straight out a P?
2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I wish to die knowing I changed the world... Even if it was one single person and even if no one ever remembers my name or work. I will rest happy if I know I have been used by God to bring just one person hope. And why? Well because people are the future! You bring one hope and who can tell how many they will help?

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
That's a tough one... I felt "fine" and "talented" and "special" when I got my first short story published... But I feel the most at peace and happy around a campfire with my pals, singing along to their guitars. One is a feeling of pride, joy and ecstasy that burns out... The other is a warm, healing freedom where I can be free.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Easy: When I am intellectually inferior to my companions and it shows either by me being confused (I HATE being confused as to where a conversation is going) or simply not as quick on my intellectual feet as everyone else.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I consider myself extremely self-absorbed and yet decision-making is one of the few areas where that does show, or perhaps just shows itself differently. I consider how I will make others feel by my actions, what the outcomes could be (taking it to the worst possible outcome mentally just so I'm prepared... And yet remaining optimistic that it will work), whether or not this is in keeping with my principles (if not, then what needs to change? The principles? Or the choice?) what my drive truly is (emotional/ self-seeking or honest and selfless) and finally, (this is the self-centered part I suppose) how am I going to be viewed as a result of that action ( I hate that I'm this self conscious and worried about perception... But it would be dishonest to deny it)

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
My emphasis? Depends on the type of project... But in general: If you're going to do it, do it beautifully. Your marketing campaign may be stellar but if the aesthetics aren't there, you lose. So, I suppose I like making things aesthetically pleasing, I generally rely on others to make sure all the data is "right". Do I like to control the outcome? Oh yes... I'm really only a control freak when it comes to group projects and I'm absolutely fine with asking others to help me lead or share responsibility, but I absolutely must have a say in the leadership or at least be a counselor or visionary. Being a mindless follower is a horrific thought to me. (Most group projects see me coming up with the visionary ideas and having others make them real, checking back with me on progress and asking me for help with technical difficulties. I do my share of the grunt work as well, but it's not my favorite part).

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Ah, so many to choose from! Well let's see, let's do one from childhood and one more recent.
Childhood: My best memories are of playing pretend. Our favorite games were always orphans or little house on the prairie, or better yet, both! I have a few very vivid memories of grinding up some weeds we found on the play ground with my friend's mortar and pestle. That was heaven to us...
More recent: climbing a random tree my friends and I encountered on a walk. My memory of every time I've climbed a tree is insanely vivid. I hasn't climbed many but I can remember almost every occasion from childhood right down to the weather of the day and who else was there. This recent endeavor made my friend think I was going to break my neck as I refused to stop climbing until I was rather high (and yet I'm afraid of heights? Go figure... Loves climbing and hates heights) but it was worth it. If I try, I can feel the bark beneath my bare feet and hands (yes I probably looked like some half-crazed jungle child but in the moment I really didn't care) and I can feel the cool night air brushing past my face.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I love philosophizing and could sit around for hours upon hours just thinking and theorizing. Anything even half-philosophical (lit, history, theology, etc.) I learn best this way... Just thinking.
However, if I am memorizing facts, I must see it. And in order to see it, I must somehow incorporate a tactile aspect. This can be doing an experiment or simply writing notes out again or as simple and reading over notes as I'm handling something that gives me tactile stimuli (random stone, flash drive, even play doh once.... )

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
I have the ability to be very organized and structured... But most of the time I'm not. My room is spotless (originally because it was required to be and now because clothes on the floor irk me to no end) but my car is... Not so much. My laptop bag goes in phases. It will be an absolute pigsty of snack wrappers, pens and random paper for a while then I will get frustrated and clean it completely out and throw it through the wash for good measure.
Papers must be filed and filed properly, however, there is no workspace more productive for me than a desk with a few small stack of mismatched books and a few well-loved notebooks and paper folders.
I like things to be neat and clean to a degree but for a place to remain spotless 24/7 is horrific to me. A home needs to look lived in, even if that just means there's a stack of books and mail on the otherwise perfectly clean and sanitized kitchen countertop.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I'm a theorist. Understanding the world and its overarching principles is much more important to me than knowing how to make sure the dishwasher runs on the most efficient cycle. Support is less important to me than understanding. As long as I can get the logic to align in my head, I am pleased. Sometimes people understand that logic but most of the time the way I look at life's possibilities and principles absolutely confuses people. Thus, I've had to adapt a bit to the "real world" as my mother always calls it and and learn to make things and thoughts palatable for other people... Which usually includes data to support it.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I must have peace among people. Tension bothers me, irks me, infuriates me. People MUST live in harmony and I will throw myself in front of a bus if that's what it takes to bring two people I see who are squabbling to peace. And why must I choose between following what I believe/ being myself and bringing harmony? Peace and hope in eternity is what I believe and a peacemaker is who I am.
12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
The answer to the first question depends on how tired I am. For the most part, I've learned to keep a lid on my thoughts and philosophies because they tend to be "bizarre" and somewhat "insane" to others. However, as I get really drained, the filters fall away and I will just start rambling about a question "I've always had" or a random idea I have. That usually gets me very strange looks...
I prefer one-on-one discussions and quite frankly group discussions annoy me. There is so much at war within my mind in a group discussion: A) I already know the answer, I should let them try to work it out for themselves by talking it out. B) I don't really want the attention on me which it will be as soon as I open my mouth. C) Oh come on people! This is not that hard! D) Should I spare us all from humiliation and just say the answer? E)What would happen if I just opened my mouth and stated all the theories I have on this? F) -opens mouth and starts randomly talking, all verbal filters seeming to have dissipated-
Usually, I do eventually speak up and get around to saying what I think. In some circumstances I have to push myself to this and other times I'm so blasted passionate about it that I can't wait for everyone else to stop yammering so I can talk. This is the side of me that the majority of my peers see as I always felt comfortable in classroom environments. The kids I grew up with often think I'm an extravert. And yet... I am often the odd, satellite observer at social gatherings, too timid to just jump into a conversation but feeling out of place until I do.
13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I battle with spontaneity. I really don't know whether I am a blind leaper or not. And actions show you what a person really believes, but words describe it and express it and words inspire others to follow. Actions speak but I always hear words more loudly.
14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Well first off, poor example because the only shows I watch are on netflix or hulu so I can always come back, but for the sake of answering the question, we can ignore this. I would really really want to go out because I hate being in an empty house and hearing the next day all the things I missed, but at the same time I am difficult to move. Succeed in getting me out of the house and I will be in heaven! Convince me to get out? Good luck. I like fires, I like my imagination and I love books and having time alone with my thoughts. In fact I become a wreck when I don't have time to just think, but I need people as well. Being my friend means knowing what I'm needing at that moment and forcing or coercing me out the door when I've been alone too long.
15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I snap at my family, being rather bossy and annoyed when they're running behind, I run myself hard in whatever I'm doing to the point of physical pain, and will occasionally just completely crack and break out into silent tears for no apparent reason. To heal myself from stress, I shut the door to a large room and play violin or write or just go sit in the woods and watch life in nature. Basically, I distract myself and reawaken the deep feeling I always numb when I'm stressed, simply by remembering how alive certain things make me feel.
16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Anyone who picks on others and is heartless in any regard is immediately "on my list." I will get along with this person just fine... Until I see these traits at work and then I will explode in anger and passion in defense of the victim. Afterward, when all is settled I will still somehow manage to be friends with both parties though.
The personality that gets under my skin the most is the type that will not slow down for a millisecond to think about the beauty of life and is constantly quoting some sports fact or other tidbit of unnecessary info at you. And the worst is when you have a passionate rant in front of them, giving them an inspiring life/spiritual speech and they look at you like you are the stupidest thing ever to exist. ANGST!
17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I have a large variety in interests and can pull off talking intelligently and even passionately about almost everything in life. I'm intensely curious about how and why things work and for what purpose so I can interest myself genuinely about almost anything. I really like discussing my fantasy worlds and stories with people and when I find someone I can honestly trust, I enjoy "venting" emotional issues to them. Logic, science, history, media, and sports, etc. I will get passionate about and discuss with anyone I meet. Emotions and deep thoughts? Those are for a select few. I will share, but mostly I will attempt to solve their life crisis because frankly there's an even smaller number I'll trust my emotions to.
18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
Politics- because I would get so insanely wrapped up in it if I did that I would probably go attempt to singlehandedly take on the world or go around giving speeches about the true state of the world to whoever would listen. Basically, I ignore politics because I have to. Otherwise there would be fire and a whole lot of yelling from my quarter.
Progress in science- it intrigues me and I love to hear about it but I just don't think to look most of the time.
Football- don't like it, don't care... Please stop telling me how many rushing yards that guy got last season!
19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
I don't know. I'm too worried about their perception to know how they honestly view me. I know my closest circle knows I'm an introvert, but the next closest ring thinks Inman extravert (one didn't believe me when I told him otherwise). The majority of them see me a person with a high rule score, a bit of a suck-up. Nobody ever makes the mistake of thinking I'm a pushover more than once though.
I guess the most amusing discovery I made about friends and perception recently is that many of them view me as extremely confident in my own skin and completely carefree about what others think of me. I guess I wear my guise better than I thought.
20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
I'll do something "productive" like cleaning or paperwork because I want a tangible, simple and visible representation/ reminder that I did something. Occasionally I will get into a mood where everything I do needs to be brainless and very obvious and simple like this and will go for a whole day cleaning and organizing things.
If I'm not in one of those more rare moods, I'll play music, write, read and ... I'll pretty much play pretend with myself. Yes, I'm an adult... No, I never grew out of loving to play pretend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apparently I fail at the "interesting title" business....
Either that people were scared away by my mini novel. -sigh-

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
Nah you didn't scare anyone away... Honestly though, answering those questions (in my opinion) never really help others learn what they need to know about you in regards to what you are asking. So your question is "Am I a J or P?" - here is what I have for you:

Here are some notes I have from a class that describes J & P differences... this was in a time management class. The teacher also used excerpts from "Gifts Differing". She also used a book published by Otto Kroeger Assoc.

Thus well-balanced individuals must always have perception to support their judgment, and judgment to support their
perception. They will still retain their basic preference and the qualities it gives.

The gifts of judgment include:
System of doing things It is natural for a judging type to decide what is the best way of doing a thing, and then consistently do it that way. The thinking process tries for the most logical method; the feeling process for the most pleasing, suitable, or proper method.

Order in possessions It is a judging sentiment that order is Heaven's first law. Thinking types believe in orderliness for utilitarian reasons. TJ types may have everything inside their bureau drawers neatly classified in boxes but not concern themselves with the state of the bureau top; FJ types, more esthetically inclined, are almost certain to have the top neat, too.

The planned life Order applied to one's activities means programs and schedules. The judging types decide in advance whey they intend to accomplish, and they make careful and sometimes very long-range plans.

Sustained effort Having once decided to do a thing, the judging type continue to do it. This application of will power results in impressive accomplishments. The tortoise in the race was certainly a J type. The hare, because he liked to operate in tremendous spurts, was probably an EN but lacked adequate judgment.

Decisiveness Not everyone who lives in the judging attitude enjoys the actual making of decisions. Some simply dislike to have things remain undecided. These are more likely to be feeling types than thinking types.

Exercise of authority The J types want to see other people conform to their standards and are usually glad to advise to them. The TJ types have better executive and organizing abilities, but where the rules are firmly laid down, the FJs can be very good at gentle enforcement.

Settled opinions J types usually know what they think about everything they consider worth thinking about.

Acceptance of Routine Acceptance of routine is put last because any marked development of intuition is apt to cancel it out, but J types with sensing seem to be able to take routine more philosophically than any of the other types.

Among the gifts of the Perception are:

Spontaneity Spontaneity is the ability to take whole-heartedly the experience or enlightenment of the present moment, even though some intended thing goes undone. P types believe it can be more important to go and look at a bird's nest that the children have found, or to take time out to help hunt up the answer to a question, or to listen to a confidence with one's whole heart, than to have a meal on time.

Open-mindedness Perception involves a certain hospitality of mind, a willingness to admit to consideration new facts, ideas, and proposals, even though they involve the reopening of decisions or opinions. The P types leave many decisions and opinions standing wide open in expectation of new information.

Understanding Perception is applied to people in order to understand their point of view than to pass judgment on their actions. Parents who take the perception attitude with their children whenever possible will be entrusted with many more confidences than parents who have an immediate (and usually critical) opinion about everything they are told. The comparatively rare pronouncements of the perceptive parents will be accorded more respect, because the parents will have done enough listening to appreciate the situation.

A generally perceptive attitude is perfectly consistent with firm parental discipline. Discipline is needed to enforce the fundamentals, preferably a few fundamentals. If children observe those faithfully, they are acceptable members of society, and just like grown-ups, they are entitled to be spared a running commentary on their every act.

Tolerance The "live and let live" attitude arises partly from reluctance to settle things for other people and partly from perceptive recognitions that there can be a variety of legit
mate standards. Tolerance grows dangerous only when carried to the extreme of condoning actual lack of standards in some essential field.

Curiosity One of the liveliest gifts of the P types is the expectation that what they do not yet know will be interesting. Curiosity leads them into many by ways of knowledge and experience and into amassing astonishing stores of information. Its also wards off boredom, as it finds something of interest in almost any situation.

Zest for experience Another expectation of the P types is what they have not yet done is going to be interesting. They may refuse a new experience on grounds of taste or principle or in favor of a more compelling attraction, but seldom because it is "not worth doing," as the J types say.

Adaptability The perceptive handles a difficulty by adapting the available means for the achievement of the essential ends.

When you're under stress, which would you identify more with?

Too much stress for an INFJ can manifest itself behaviorally as:
- Blurts of badly handled facts. Not concerned with accuracy, when stress mounts, INFJ's will quote, badger, and explode with a firm, even righteous, display of facts that may or may not be related to what's happening.

- A sullen, wounded martyrdom. All of the rich imaginative inspiration of this type turns quickly to a bitter sense of rejection as fatigue and other stressors manifest themselves.

- A combination of strengths and weaknesses maximized. Under stress, Introversion becomes non-speak; inspiration and theory become convoluted complexity; and structure and closure become insensitive stubbornness.

Too much stress in an INFP can manifest itself behaviorally as:

-Wide mood swings. At the early stages of stress, INFP's can become really scattered, extremely extraverted and switch instantly to sullen rigidity.

- A disproportionate angry non-negotiability. INFP's are normally easygoing and fairly pliable with a low need to influence. Suddenly that disappears, and it's sort of "everybody lookout; and above all, don't tread on me."

- Marked restlessness and avoidance. Whether it's a confrontation or just finishing a project, as the stress mounts so does the avoidance, yet the restlessness can keep the INFP focusing on all the wrong things.

Hope that helps! Don't be overwhelmed, just give it some time and the answer will come to you through the little things you notice later on. Thats what happened to me. I was so confused on if I was a P or J but little by little, the J dominance really stuck out to me. Especially after living with my P husband....

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm reading a lot of both INFP and INFJ in your answers.

The two types are mistaken a lot, just like any xxxP/J pair. (<-that sounds like I have some very naughty pajamas.)

If you feel like sometimes you fake being a J, you might very well be an INFP. They are very good actors, when they are told the part they are supposed to be playing they are very good at stepping in it so hard that they forget who they actually are.

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
Also... I listed those examples so as to help you identify with the "whole" picture of an INFJ or INFP... Perhaps this site will help you - INFJ or INFP? a closer look - Vicky Jo is amazing at helping people decipher what they are.

Don't forget Cognitive Processes!! INFJs lead with Ni and INFPs lead with Fi -

Fi: It is often hard to assign words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgments since they are often associated with images, feeling tones, and gut reactions more than words.
As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in.
There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and a patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life's situations. We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, "Sometimes, some things just have to be said." On the other hand, most of the time this process works "in private" and is expressed through actions.
It helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the "essence" of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones.

Ni - Introverted iNtuiting involves synthesizing the seemingly paradoxical or contradictory, which takes understanding to a new level.
Using this process, we can have moments when completely new, unimagined realizations come to us.
A disengagement from interactions in the room occurs, followed by a sudden "Aha!" or "That's it!" The sense of the future and the realizations that come from introverted iNtuiting have a sureness and an imperative quality that seem to demand action and help us stay focused on fulfilling our vision or dream of how things will be in the future.
Using this process, we might rely on a focal device or symbolic action to predict, enlighten, or transform.
We could find ourselves laying out how the future will unfold based on unseen trends and telling signs.
This process can involve working out complex concepts or systems of thinking or conceiving of symbolic or novel ways to understand things that are universal. It can lead to creating transcendent experiences or solutions.

INFJ - Ni, Fe, Ti, Se
INFP - Fi, Ne, Si, Te

Understanding the 8 Jungian Cognitive Processes (8 Functions)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
There is no such thing as being "close" on J and P(if you go by the cognitive functions), INFP and INFJ are two completely different types, a INFP is closer to a INTJ than a INFJ.

Figure out if you are Ni or Fi dominant, that is something you'll have to do by researching the cognitive functions, here's a good place to start:http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have both... mostly. My P is only a few points from my J. I have my P-phases sometimes (out there in RL, in the bookstore^^)

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
There is no such thing as being "close" on J and P(if you go by the cognitive functions), INFP and INFJ are two completely different types, a INFP is closer to a INTJ than a INFJ.
Exactly! I like that! INFP has the same cognitive processes as an INTJ - just in a different order.
And I completely agree, there is no way you can be a little bit of both of J and P. Of course we can always "choose" which attitude to use in our functions but we are what we are - this type or that type. Not both.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Considering that your two leading functions, one will be a judging function and one a perception function, this shouldn't be that surprising to anyway. It just underscores that J/P is a false dichotomy.

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
Rules of cognitive processes:
For every type, the Dominant & Auxiliary are in opposite attitudes (aka introvert and extravert = attitudes).
Extravert: Dominant function is extraverted; auxiliary function is introverted.
Introverts: Dominant function is introverted; auxiliary function is extraverted.

J/P ALWAYS points to the function that is extraverted.
J always points to the third letter in the type formula (T or F, The Judgement Function).
P always points to the second letter in the type formula (S or N, the Perception function).

For Extraverts: JP points to the extraverted function which is the dominant. The other function is the auxiliary and in introverted.

For Introverts: JP points to the extraverted function which is auxiliary. The other function is the dominant and is introverted.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
By the way the OP is probably an ESFJ or ENFJ. I'd favor ENFJ which is probably why you get all the IN mistypes. Clearly have an Inferiority complex around Introverted Thinking and a lot of negativity directed at people who have stronger Introverted Thinking preferences. You are clearly a strong Feeling type, and your Feeling is very clearly directed at the outside world and not inwardly.

The other giveaway as that I don't think that, for you, the great thing to be feared is external. Extraverts generally are skittish about those things that are internal. Who they are on the inside, truly, (apart from what other people say in Fe-types) is often the great mystery. Extraverts may actually find someone prying into their life, even on a superficial level as intrusive, because they themselves do not spend much time in self-examination. They are highly adept at seeing the surface qualities of the world, of their social environment, concepts, possibilities, etc., but when asked to turn that inwardly its just a great mystery. When you ask "why would someone spend so much time in analysis of rushing yards or batting average?", one, you are betraying your preference for Feeling (more humane and less technical considerations) and two, you are asking, "why would someone place so much interest in an internal process?" (Introverted Thinking).

The Introvert would actually come at it the opposite way wondering why someone would get so caught up in something at surface value or representation and not focus on your own understanding or experience? Extraverts are comfortable operating outside of themselves in the real world, the real world is home and they are often very adept at manipulating it for its own sake. For extraverts, I am the great mystery (you might hear them say "I didn't know I would do that," or "I don't know what I'd do if..," or "I can't believe I did that,"). With Introverts, the real world is the thing that ever-threatens to consume them (generally through their Inferior function). The Introvert might ask, "how can you be surprised by you?" "If anyone ought to know what you're capable of it should be you." See the difference? For introverts everything is always initially directed at self, with a largely negative counterforce to the outside world. With Extraverts everything is initially directed external to self, with a negative counterforce inward.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow.. Lots to think about, thanks guys...
Honestly, I'm confused as ever... I'll look up some of those links and do some reading.
A few things stuck out to me though...
A) the description of what I would do under stress was definitely P. Hide, internally freak out, curl up in a ball and hope no one finds me, then the next moment decide "I SHALL BE HAPPY!" and run skipping around like a young child... And then a few hours later be back to shaking with emotion.
B) As to the Ni or Fe thingymabob... Ni fit much more... I have some f the capabilities of Fe, but Ni is definitely where my mind is most. Yes, I'm a slight empath and can "feel" people on occasion, but half the time I'm not reading them at all, but projecting my own feelings onto them (which can get you into lots of trouble as a side note.... Oops? You're really not depressed at all? Oh... )
C) Me? And extravert? Hahahahahahahhahahahahaha! Hah! Oh how amusing.... I wish! I spend so much time inside my mind that I often can't figure out how to do simple tasks in the "real world". Example, I wanted a particular product at the grocery store the other day and checked every place I could think of without success. I passed several employees, one of whom actually had the sole purpose of answering questions and helping people find things and ... I couldn't bring myself to ask... Sometimes this is a matter of pride for me, as I don't want to appear incompetent. That day it was sheer fear. I could not approach them because I could not fathom what I would say. In retrospect I could have just said, "hi! I was wondering if you carry fruit leather," but no... I was crippled by fear into silence and left the store without my fruit leather.
That said... I fake extrovertism very well. I am a master actress when I put in the effort, to the point that as I said, some of my friends misinterpret me as such.
D) (blast I got this our of order but oh well) INFP's are actors I hear tell? That could explain a lot... My mother I've figured to be typed ESFJ and she does not tolerate the wandering poet type which I consider myself to be. I have a number of "pet peeves" that are very orderly: the table must be set according to the etiquette book, we must never speed (going 5 over is showing a flash of rebellion), if they say no talking during a fire drill, I will NOT talk (and I don't care that they only officially said that once freshman year and haven't said it any other time... It's a rule and rules must be followed), being late is WRONG (I am late often due to other tag-alongs slowing down the bandwagon but it makes me physically sick to know I'm going to be late somewhere),.
So.. I thank you all for the help.. I will do some reading now and see what I find. It still seems that in half of life's instances I follow one and half the other...

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
You are either INFJ or ENFJ. You are not an INFP. Your posts are just super-Fe oriented. It's all extraverted Feeling. The thing that maybe sells you as an INFJ is that you might have a Sensation related Inferiority Complex (relating to Inferior Se in an INFJ) but Extraverted Feeling is so pronounced in your posts I have a hard time believing you as a Ni-dominant (though I do think Ni is definitely there, you just don't scream Ni-dom from what you wrote).

Also what you are calling Introvert and Extravert refer more to your persona, your outer mask. How you come across socially, the mask you wear, how you try to present yourself. But that is not what extraversion and introversion in this sense are about. They are about where you orient your thoughts (see you can still be in your head but if everything you are thinking about is related to something outside of yourself, that is still extraversion). With extraversion the thoughts move away from the self, which you clearly have a strong preference for with regard to Feeling.

A) the description of what I would do under stress was definitely P. Hide, internally freak out, curl up in a ball and hope no one finds me, then the next moment decide "I SHALL BE HAPPY!" and run skipping around like a young child... And then a few hours later be back to shaking with emotion.
Not sure what this could be, but I'd venture to guess it's not related to any kind of Thinking preference. Probably low-function sensation with Feeling mixed in.

As to the Ni or Fe thingymabob... Ni fit much more... I have some f the capabilities of Fe, but Ni is definitely where my mind is most. Yes, I'm a slight empath and can "feel" people on occasion, but half the time I'm not reading them at all, but projecting my own feelings onto them (which can get you into lots of trouble as a side note.... Oops? You're really not depressed at all? Oh... )
Ni doms are more seers. They have a way of sort of knowing what's going on under the surface without having the facts to back it up and they often are wrong, even if other people don't recognize it at the time (INFJs are also very aware that people may think they're wrong or crazy). They often are very good at pointing out the underlying implications or significance of an issue (in a different way than a Thinking type might, with Ni its much more a gut feeling about what is going on beneath the surface). Shaman and psychic are cartoonish stereotypes, but these people would generally belong to the Introverted Intuitive category if they're not some sort of con-artists. Ni-doms are described by Marie Von Franz as

...having the same capacity as the Extraverted Intuitive for smelling out the future, having the right guess or the right hunch about the not yet seen future possibilities of the situation, but his intuition is turned within, and therefore you can say that he is primarily the type of the religious prophet, or the seer. To primitives they might be seen as the shaman who knows what the gods and the ghosts and ancestral spirits are planning and who conveys that to the tribe. In psychological language we should say that he knows about the slow processes which go on [beneath the observable surface]...and conveys that to society.

Many Introverted Intuitives are to be found among artists and poets. They generally are artists fo the type which produce very archetypal and fantastic material, as in Nietzsche's Thus Spake Zarathustra or in Gustav Meyrinck's The Golem. This kind of visionary art, as one could call it, is generally only understood by later generations as a realization of what was going on in [society's general thinking] at the time. The inferior sensation of this type also has difficulties in noticing the needs of the body, or being uncontrolled about it.
So to help differentiate between INFJ and ENFJ I would suggest reading these articles on the inferior function of both. ENFJ's inferior function is Thinking (same with ESFJ) and INFJ's inferiority centers around sensation.

http://personalitycafe.com/intj-articles/76896-recognizing-inferior-function-intj.html (for INTJ and INFJ)
http://personalitycafe.com/esfj-articles/76787-recognizing-inferior-function-esfjs.html (for ENFJ and ESFJ)

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
*cough* INTJ INFP do not have the same functions as INFP's have Ne/Si and INTJ have Ni/Se. *cough*
Thanks for that correction man... Good catch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts