1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me start here
intp-intj
infp-infj
theres are just two eg's,are intjs and intps the same type but one is just more organized and the other more spontanous or is intjs and intps two different types all together?,

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
There isn't any compelling evidence that I've seen that shows that looking at MBTI types in terms of their letter components (INTP = I + N + T + P) leads to any significant loss of information.

And J/P in general is the dichotomy that showed the least predictive value across the 73 dependent variables that were tested for correlation with MBTI types in the latest (1997) MBTI Manual.

See the below chart:

Based strictly on evidence ("because somebody said so" is not evidence), I think it's hard to argue that the closest type to INTP is INTJ, and the closest type to INFP is INFJ. But of course this is defining people's MBTI types by what they get on the official test (Form M).

If you use some other process to assign people MBTI types that isn't MBTI, then most of what I said doesn't apply.

Reactions: naren

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There isn't any compelling evidence that I've seen that shows that looking at MBTI types in terms of their letter components (INTP = I + N + T + P) leads to any significant loss of information.

And J/P in general is the dichotomy that showed the least predictive value across the 73 dependent variables that were tested for correlation with MBTI types in the latest (1997) MBTI Manual.

See the below chart:

Based strictly on evidence ("because somebody said so" is not evidence), I think it's hard to argue that the closest type to INTP is INTJ, and the closest type to INFP is INFJ. But of course this is defining people's MBTI types by what they get on the official test (Form M).

If you use some other process to assign people MBTI types that isn't MBTI, then most of what I said doesn't apply.
sorry but i have no idea what those results in the table means,please explain it to me?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
@naren it's difficult to explain but the "number of significant results" out of 73 overall would be expected to be 3.65 by random chance, that is even if the letters didn't correlate with the dependent variables. The 73 dependent variables are just statistics like GPA, or whether or not they value autonomy in the workplace. 28, 26, 29, and 16 are way bigger than 3.65 and thus this provides hard evidence for these letter dichotomies being able to predict what people will get in these statistics better than rolling a die. J-P had the lowest value which means it didn't show as much ability to predict results in things.

But when you look in the "Average Percentage of Variance Accounted For" column, you will see that the numbers are quite low, so even if S-N showed up the strongest overall as a predictor, and J-P the worst among the dichotomies, the diversity within the S and N groups is huge. As Jung himself would say, "every individual is an exception to the rule", and the predictive value of MBTI is quite limited for most things.

It's possible that the dependent variables chosen just weren't the kind of dependent variables where J-P would matter very much. Regardless, J-P was shown to matter, although just not in as many places as the other letters.

Reactions: naren
1 - 4 of 4 Posts