Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me understand this better.

Extraverted Judgers (J - Te/Fe) want control of their external world, so they appear more rigid, controlled and deliberate on the outside. Does this imply they’re more flexible and adaptable internally (ideas, values, culturally, etc)?

Introverted Judgers (P - Ti/Fi) want internal control so externally appear more relaxed, easy going and adaptable. Does this imply that they seek internal control and are more committed internally (ideas, values, culturally, etc)?

The reason I pose this question is because Js usually get the rep. for being overly committed to their world views, but I’m wondering if this is only an external façade. I have a friend who is an ISTP and though he appears very laid back, you can say he lives by a "code". Is this typical of the type?

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Please help me understand this better.

Extraverted Judgers (J - Te/Fe) want control of their external world, so they appear more rigid, controlled and deliberate on the outside. Does this imply they’re more flexible and adaptable internally (ideas, values, culturally, etc)?
YES it does!

Introverted Judgers (P - Ti/Fi) want internal control so externally appear more relaxed, easy going and adaptable. Does this imply that they seek internal control and are more committed internally (ideas, values, culturally, etc)?
YES YOU'RE ON A ROLE

The reason I pose this question is because Js usually get the rep. for being overly committed to their world views, but I’m wondering if this is only an external façade. I have a friend who is an ISTP and though he appears very laid back, you can say he lives by a "code". Is this typical of the type?
Yea J's seem very in control all the time.... but it just looks like it cause all their control is external. But inside they are very much out of control no? I dunno bout your ISTP friend... but yea the code is prolly an internal judging function... obviously Ti.

I would agree that the rep for being overly committed to their world views is an external facade. J's are not TOO this or anything. Besides... everyone needs control and perception in SOME area of their lives..... everyone is a P and J in a sense.... we all have to be sure of something and perceive something..... I think this is all human interaction is at it's core.... a constant interplay between perception and closure.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, you bring up some good points. Though, as an extraverted judger, I still require organization and control even internally.

I always seem to have a hard time placing T's on that continuum. I feel like the "T" trait also involves structure and control, but in an internally (or even externally) logical form. ISTPs are very flexible, but like any other T, logic is logic, and logic in itself is naturally organized and structured for control of situations that involve placement within the mind. Feelers tend to be spontaneous in the sense that feeling isn't logic, therefore isn't static or organized since feeling is based on the heat of the moment.

NF's are more like P's in their emotions and things that influence them, but accompanied with a J simply means that whatever comes of the NF will be structured in a controlled format to make the feelings easier to access.

TPs are still spontaneous, but logically spontaneous which isn't at all (in my opinion) as spontaneous as the NFP combo.

You're on a roll though, as thehigher said. :)

Good work!

Reactions: CounterPoint

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the clarification!

I would agree that the rep for being overly committed to their world views is an external facade. J's are not TOO this or anything. Besides... everyone needs control and perception in SOME area of their lives..... everyone is a P and J in a sense.... we all have to be sure of something and perceive something..... I think this is all human interaction is at it's core.... a constant interplay between perception and closure.....
So Ps aren’t lazy and Js aren’t uptight, they just like looking that way. Gotcha :D

All this seems a little contradictory though, especially where temperaments are concerned. For instance, SJs are guardians and seek order usually looking to tradition, yet internally, are supposed to be adaptable? SPs are artisans seeking to experience and to make an impact, but internally, are not explorative?

I guess I'll forgo temperaments for cog. functions; it allows more room for individuality.

NF's are more like P's in their emotions and things that influence them, but accompanied with a J simply means that whatever comes of the NF will be structured in a controlled format to make the feelings easier to access.

TPs are still spontaneous, but logically spontaneous which isn't at all (in my opinion) as spontaneous as the NFP combo.
Thanks for the input! I see what you are saying and can relate. All the NFs I have met seem to be very accepting of other peoples annoying flaws, which I guess is a form of “feeling” spontaneity (as long as it doesn’t impede on anyone else). They have a way of making people feel comfortable. On the other hand, me being a TJ, I seem to always (harmlessly) argue with TPs, because even though they are spontaneous, are still looking for internal fortitude, and often feel I am out to control them, which I am not. Just one big misunderstanding, apparently.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
So Ps aren’t lazy and Js aren’t uptight, they just like looking that way. Gotcha :D

All this seems a little contradictory though, especially where temperaments are concerned. For instance, SJs are guardians and seek order usually looking to tradition, yet internally, are supposed to be adaptable? SPs are artisans seeking to experience and to make an impact, but internally, are not explorative?

I guess I'll forgo temperaments for cog. functions; it allows more room for individuality.
Yea I think so. Like take an ISTJ.... who's first function is Si. He can take in shit loads of memorized information and rules regulations social norms etcetcetc. That shit bothers me.... makes me feel out of sorts..... like I need to have a feeling at some point... I can't take that much information. In this sense.... he is being more adaptive in an introverted way.

Reactions: CounterPoint
1 - 5 of 5 Posts