Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I kind of wonder who isn't psychologically disturbed.

But suppoing mental disturbance is more common among psychology majors, I'm reminded that my psychology professor said that he believed people often get into the field driven by an interest in their own problems. If psychologicaly problems are a big part of your life, it should be no surprise if you become fascinated by it and devote your life to understanding and dealing with it. Likewise, we might say that people who are strongly affected by social disadvantages are more likely to get into sociology.

Reactions: Rustang and WNF

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
Totally, What is sad that some of these people end up getting licensed. Nothing like someone who is messed up messing with your head.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Totally, What is sad that some of these people end up getting licensed. Nothing like someone who is messed up messing with your head.
I myself do not conclude that someone with their own problems is necessarilly worse at analyzing someone else's. And indeed, this is especially important since the mentally ill population's definition is constantly expanding. Before you know it, 80% of the population will supposedly have a mental disorder. Best not to doubt the abilities of all of them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think it can be helpful to have been the person sitting in the other chair.

If they were not emotionally stable enough to perform their work, they would not be doing it, just like anyone else.

I think you are attacking stereotypes.

While I have never been understood or "classified" by psychologists or psychiatrists, the ones that seemed to have some personal history of struggling with things such as schizophrenia, bipolar or other deeply self-affecting "things" were the ones that made me feel the most at ease and the least misunderstood, there being more genuine empathy (I do not really see them as "things" insofar as I do not share the commonly held way of seeing things that is the person being "normal" + addition of "thing").

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I don't know. I want to go into Counseling. One program is within the Psych department, while another is within the Ed. department.

Why do I feel qualified? Well, almost everything I have done has been incorrect. I suppose I'll simply tell people to do the opposite of what I have done.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Also, alot of people who can't make up their mind what to do in life pick Psy as their major...which ultimately ruined the undergrad degrees. To be anything in psy nowaday, you have to get a master.

Mmmhh, you know, it is legal for therapists who have their own problems to still be working as long as they are actively getting help as well. But there's something unnerving about that, just a little something. :D

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
A friend of mine went to a hippy Liberal Arts school. When it was time for him to graduate, they looked at his transcripts and said he was a Pysch major. *shrug*

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Hey, I'm a psych major, and I'm not jacked up. At least I don't think so :wink:.

But anyways, I'm only majoring in psychology because it's something to fall back to if I ultimately decide not to go to law school. There are a few people with emotional problems in some of my psych classes so far, at least from what I can tell, though.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Whats up with that? I know a lot of messed up people who pick psychology as their major. Has anyone else noticed this pattern?
Hah hah! I'm not a psy major or anything, but I do give lots of advice to friends. It helps to always be right... well mostly right. Do to my emotional instability, I'll be wrong from time to time. Stupid feelings :dry:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

If they were not emotionally stable enough to perform their work, they would not be doing it, just like anyone else.

While I have never been understood or "classified" by psychologists or psychiatrists, the ones that seemed to have some personal history of struggling with things such as schizophrenia, bipolar or other deeply self-affecting "things" were the ones that made me feel the most at ease and the least misunderstood, there being more genuine empathy (I do not really see them as "things" insofar as I do not share the commonly held way of seeing things that is the person being "normal" + addition of "thing").
I'm not attacking stereotypes, I just made an observation and noticed a pattern. And even if I was, in order for stereotypes to exist, there has to be some amount of truth to them and pattern.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

And also Latte this isn't always the case

"If they were not emotionally stable enough to perform their work, they would not be doing it, just like anyone else."

I have met a lot of people who are in positions they shouldn't of been in. Just because things oughta be some way, doesn't mean they are. And doesn't mean someone enforces it being "right"

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have met a lot of people who are in positions they shouldn't of been in. Just because things oughta be some way, doesn't mean they are. And doesn't mean someone enforces it being "right"
So have I, and I have seen no indication that the things you have brought up in this thread has had a correlation with them being incapable or unfitting to do that work. (I have encountered one psychopath, which, obviously should not be allowed to do anything that involves other people.)

Based on my experience, and that of others, I could claim that sensors should not be psychologists or psychiatrists. And I have seen a strong correlation there.
However, even in this case with a strong correlation, I know there are plenty capable sensors that could be very fitting. I have even met a few that I think could do good, though even if I had not, I would not suggest that every individual in this whole group of people defined through a common property that does not in itself disable them from doing well are unfitting.

Only people who have individually shown themselves to be incompetent, incapable, or that disregard the wellbeing of the people that they are supposed to help should be denied the opportunity to be a practicioner within these professions.

edit: I may have misjudged your view based upon the language you used, and went on a rant :x

·
Registered
838 Posts
lol, I guess I'm one of them. :wink:
Yes, I'm a psych major planning on going into psychiatry, yes I have 2 psychologists, 2 psychiatrists, and a social worker currently assigned to me, yes I take both anti-psychotic and anti-depressant, and yes I've been locked up in the mental ward before.

But the reason why I'm in this major is precisely because I'm "jacked up." Going through the hell of psychological condition allowed me to see just how important that field is, and motivated me to want to help people who is going through similar situations. Learning about and fighting my own disorders helped me find something I can actually be interested in, as well as a field I believe I can contribute to. And of course, I honestly believe that going through the same thing your client has gone through will help you empathize, understand and open them up more. In fact, some of my own doctors had gone through therapy, and they're great people. :3

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So have I, and I have seen no indication that the things you have brought up in this thread has had a correlation with them being incapable or unfitting to do that work. (I have encountered one psychopath, which, obviously should not be allowed to do anything that involves other people.)

Based on my experience, and that of others, I could claim that sensors should not be psychologists or psychiatrists. And I have seen a strong correlation there.
However, even in this case with a strong correlation, I know there are plenty capable sensors that could be very fitting. I have even met a few that I think could do good, though even if I had not, I would not suggest that every individual in this whole group of people defined through a common property that does not in itself disable them from doing well are unfitting.

Only people who have individually shown themselves to be incompetent, incapable, or that disregard the wellbeing of the people that they are supposed to help should be denied the opportunity to be a practicioner within these professions.

edit: I may have misjudged your view based upon the language you used, and went on a rant :x
This isn't in the debate forum for a reason, it's just a statement of an observation I noticed. You are really ranting for no reason.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is an interesting thread---especially since i watched a couple of clips on u-tube pertaining to babies and attatchement theory followed by Love theory. It was inspirering for a moment, until i went to look up WW1 clips, and siad in mind" Sociology and psychology come off as why creatures that do not take into account the destructiveness of life's other half of the balance". Maybe it does, yet it's fun to compare war and ennegrams and psychology, and narcacistic scales, and politicians, and then famous hollywood types. All entertwine in some odd way----and it's fun. A 2 type should try to enlighten me please.:) However, maybe i'm like Arioche---in that I must rely on bad experiences to mold me into a direction of good qualities.(i said that last sentence as "us", but changed it to a "me version"--for it's truer this way:) and ??

·
Banned
326 Posts
Most psychologists/psychiatrists I've seen are in bed at 9:00 every night and the worst thing they ever did was that time they had an extra piece of chocalate. Oh, what a vividly daring experience. If I had a jacked up psychologist, they would be able to relate. Which brings the question. Why do we pay people who haven't a clue about our issues through direct experience to solve the problem? It's absurd. Do you go to a mechanic to get your teeth fixed? It's almost the same thing. Even if they read a bunch of case studies, they will never see the true nature of what it is to deal with something of that magnitude. That's why I think most psychologists are lame, scripted, classifications, zombists.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Seek Juess---do me next:) Say I am Ranting as well. Either case---If latte rants---then i am sad, for i thought she was an INTP. However, i am glad, for that means an INFp can topple them more often. Now i must be warry of SeekJuess is all.:0 Anyone esle got more insights? I'm glad to hear of Arioche as the best hope to pass as a psychologist so far. Everyone else will have to pretend to compete in something else. Maybe i'll pretend to compete as a sock whole maker and make believe magic grows form the whole. People will pay me not to put things into the whole----and act lost and like i have a demonic possession in me. That'll be the plan fro the Depression if it ever comes. Though i'd preferably be a kind person and useful to society. Hope my rant has helped.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts