Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting this a lot lately. Is it normal? It seems like it happens to me the most after a long day in the office when I'm sitting in traffic and my mind has just completely shut off. I'll be looking at an area I've known for like my entire life and it will look as though I've seen it for the first time in my life. I find it to be sort of unpleasant but at the same time I find myself completely bemused by it, almost like I'm in a trance. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Has anyone else experienced this?
Certainly.

The phrase "my mind has just completely shut off" seems the key: with nothing going on in there, you're free to just notice stuff, and that's what's happening.

·
Registered
659 Posts
oh! that's what it's called. it happened to me once with my boyfriend at the time, and once with my mother. it was really interesting but slightly disturbing..

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I actually had never heard of this-- only deja vu, which I experience regularly-- but after reading about it, I have definitely felt this before. I was born in a small town and lived there until I was 17, so it eventually got to the point where I had seen literally everything there, but sometimes I'd be driving down the street and struck with a weird sense of unfamiliarity... I guess that's what it was.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, at times it actually gets pretty scary to me. I almost didn't recognize my mother and family once even though I knew who they were supposed to be, and then questioned if my life had just been one elongated dream. They didn't feel as if they were the people I was meant to be with. Don't really know how to explain it -- they just felt like strangers until I stopped overanalyzing everything.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Sometimes I feel this way, yeah. It's strange...when it rarely happens, the feeling comes over, and I almost don't want it to leave. :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts