Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading this thread INTJs are not gods and thought about my past experiences, Since my youth I had difficult times with jealous people even adults, I can remember some events clearly, one time (I was 8) I heard the father of my pen friend (and he was a far family) talking to his son that no matter what happens he must score better than me at school (accidently I was behind the door and heard every word and kept it for myself).

Did you encounter any jealous people in your life, how did you manage them?

·
Registered
75 Posts

To begin, I need to note that English is not my first language, but I've always been naturally good at it without having to study, since I started speaking it about at the same time I started speaking my native language (thanks mum!).

Given this, you can imagine me acing English class without even trying. There were a few girls in high school that were overtly jealous of my ability and would harass me verbally because of it. So I tried a few things, from handling them with kid gloves to confrontation, none of which worked, and ended up ignoring them altogether. I think their jealousy grew into hatred at some point. At the end, I had nothing but disdain for their behaviour, but didn't end up treating them differently from other people, mostly because they didn't deserve the effort.

There was this one other guy in my class, the top student in the entire high school. Now, you need to know that I skipped about 2/3 of the classes, didn't study, and still got high grades. Said guy used to talk to me with an air of superiority, but he also had a bit of jealousy in his tone. With 1/3 attendance, you can imagine I didn't get much time to socialize, so I didn't talk much to this guy either. At first I didn't know what to think; later I realized that what he hated was what I represented, rather than who I was - so I started taking him seriously whenever we talked, and he mellowed out.

Jealous of INTJs, is it common?

Not in my case. Granted, I had a small frame throughout my school years, so I suppose it was kinda hard to be jealous of the scrawny quiet kid.

·
Banned
104 Posts
In all sorts of clubs and sports I get treated as a threat. Dunno the hell why??? I think maybe my confidence worries them, but also they can pick my vulnerable spot so they plot to remove me. It gets really bad really quick when I start talking to the females.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Not so much. Perhaps they were as uncomfortable with me as I was with them. Only one of us was willing to stay well clear of the other. As a result I had plenty of experience with those vain, self conscious creatures known as teenagers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Back in junior high...yeah.

I used to read chapters or even whole topics ahead of the rest of the class (say world war 2 would be a topic whereas chapter would be normandia) especially in the subjects that I had strong interest in such as math, physics, history and economics.

I would read several of topics ahead of others, memorizing even the smallest pieces of information (thanks nearly eidetic memory!) with one read-through
Then when I got home I would just dump the bag and books and play games or study some other topic of interest in internet.

Teachers had us write down how much time we spent studying at home, well you can imagine how some girls who spent hours and hours reading every subject pretty much every evening after school reacted when my after-school studying time was 0 every time, yet I scored full or nearly full points in every test in said subjects.

they went to teachers and had them talk to me about it (some even told me to put some hours in the graph just so that the girls wouldn't be upset about it...), they accused me of cheating several times, they complained to me about how I'm lazy bum wasting my life and talent even though they didn't know pretty much anything about me.

even worse it got every year during the last 1/4th when i had already finished all the studies and skipped the classes or slept them through(excluding tests), they went to the principal and tried to get me kicked....well you can guess how well that turned out, asking the principal to kick one of the top students of the school...

After junior high in high school...well things calmed down a lot, mostly because I went to polytechnic high school where I had no girls in my class (Information Tech) at all and over half of the guys didn't seem to have any motivation to study, so the few who did had to do so together ( i even had an INTJ in my class in high school, so for once i had chance to enjoy competing with someone)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Yes, I've encountered a few jealous people. It's more about them and less about me though. I don't really see how they could be jealous. It took others to point it out to me.
But I thought we established that we were the "cool" group? Our beige clothing, lack of makeup, unkempt hair and alienating death stares notwithstanding... and whatnot

... and of course everyone is highly jealous of my fine collection of plastic dinosaurs...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I am fairly certain every single person in the world one time or another will or has experienced a jealous person.

Althou i do agree that i have noticed bad press for the INTJ's lately for no real reasons. It might be the confident style you guys have coming off as cocky. But i wouldn't have a clue.

Jealous is a problem of other people not you, if they are jealous then you know exactly how to deal with it, carry on doing what your doing and piss them off even more, and sit down and enjoy the show

Reactions: thetruehell

·
Administrator
23,778 Posts
But I thought we established that we were the "cool" group? Our beige clothing, lack of makeup, unkempt hair and alienating death stares notwithstanding... and whatnot

... and of course everyone is highly jealous of my fine collection of plastic dinosaurs...
Oh it's well established that we are indeed the cool group. *passes the baked yummy snack of baked rutabaga*

I think that people forget *pours spinach juice all round* how much work it takes to actually be this cool. *takes a toke of brussell sprout joint, passes along* It's all part of the inherent stoicism of the INTJ to hide their light under a bushel. *starts warm up exercises for a singalong with accordion*

·
Registered
330 Posts
I was reading this thread INTJs are not gods and thought about my past experiences, Since my youth I had difficult times with jealous people even adults, I can remember some events clearly, one time (I was 8) I heard the father of my pen friend (and he was a far family) talking to his son that no matter what happens he must score better than me at school (accidently I was behind the door and heard every word and kept it for myself).

Happens to me all the time. Snide comments and out right hate... sometimes I confront them (if i can't stand them either) sometimes I try to make nice with them (i may have to work with them) most of the time I ignore them and do my best. That being said.. People seem to enjoy pointing out what they think are a flaw in me.. my curly hair is messy, I'm to tall, my makeup is smeared, and my fav the unapproved look of disdain at the comfy shoes I'm wearing or at my hat. Also, anything I SAY is attacked with passion.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I can't actually think of a time anyone was jealous of me.....but I suppose people must have been once in a while. Maybe I have a bit of a blind spot. I probably didn't notice or just assumed they were in a bad mood or something.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Oh it's well established that we are indeed the cool group. *passes the baked yummy snack of baked rutabaga*

I think that people forget *pours spinach juice all round* how much work it takes to actually be this cool. *takes a toke of brussell sprout joint, passes along* It's all part of the inherent stoicism of the INTJ to hide their light under a bushel. *starts warm up exercises for a singalong with accordion*
LOL.... but we really don't like rutabaga, do we?

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Yes, there were some people I encountered who I thought was jealous of me because of the way they say things when I talk to them.
To be honest, it's an ego boost if there are some people who are jealous of me. It's another form of flattery. Because this just means that I'm above them, or there's something in me that they could be jealous of. If those people are being annoying, I just ignore them and shrugs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, I can't say that they were totally jealous, because I wasn't popular, but there were people who didn't like me too much because of my success.

For example I scored max points in my math test for high school (in my country we take test after 7th grade). Naturally everyone from elementary school class said that my parents paid and I knew the problems beforehand and that's why I nailed it. I had to laugh at this, because apparently that made them feel better. They wanted to believe that I'm not that smarter than them, when in reality they didn't do anything and they didn't get math. They couldn't realize that it's not only about talent, it's also about hard work and some willing to stick to it.

In the high school I had classmate who wasn't very happy that I could grasp new theories easier, that I could catch up some new ideas and theories without too much. One time she tried to explain to me how she solved some math problem (she actually didn't solve it, it was her mother who is math teacher) and I needed just two words to know everything and she wasn't too happy.

The same girl didn't like me, because I helped some classmates with their math homework. The homework was from her mother and well apparently they preferred my help than her mother's. That didn't make her very happy.

But yeah basically she wanted to be like her mother and it didn't work for her. It was her problem though - you either get it or you don't.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Not unless it's smothered in something other than rutabaga.

We all simply must love an accordion singalong. *winds up for a chilling rendition of Danny Boy*
I can do a duet with you on my recorder. It's what all the cool kids do these days.

I actually like rutabaga. It's good in mashed potatoes, or sauteed in butter. Of course, pretty much everything tastes good if you add enough butter.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts