Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always struggled to understand why (some) people feel jealous and/or envious of others. In most cases it's perhaps mild enough to not be an issue for either party but in other circumstances it can be problematic. In the best case, people may try to avoid others they're jealous of (or at least the thing they are jealous of). At worst, they may become so envious that they have cruel intentions ("schadenfreude"); perhaps even actively attempting to make the person/people they're jealous/envious of lose the thing they poses which causes the jealousy/envy.

Personally, I can't remember ever feeling jealous of anyone or anything; let alone being envious. I'm never nosy about other people's business, status or possessions, I believe everyone should get on with their own life and be greatful for what they have, and if they're not happy with it then work towards achieving their goals. Even if I see someone achieving/obtaining something I could only dream of, I still wouldn't feel negatively towards that person; if anything I'd be happy for them.

So my question is, is there something wrong with me? Either I'm extremely privillged to not feel this way (because I have eveyrthing I want maybe?) or it's one of those things which is very much dependent on some personality trait?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
So my question is, is there something wrong with me? Either I'm extremely privillged to not feel this way (because I have eveyrthing I want maybe?) or it's one of those things which is very much dependent on some personality trait?
I'm not sure if I'd categorize it as there being something wrong with you. But it's definitely outside the norm to have never felt envy or jealousy.

Humans, as a species, are social with hierarchical (even if nor formally so) tendencies. We also often compete for the same resources/mates/territories/etc. So envy and jealousy are emotions meant to drive us toward competing with each other, in an effort to gain more of the things that lead to better survival or reproductive opportunities.

If you've honestly never felt either emotion, it's probably more a matter of personality than privilege. Even kings and emperors have been known to feel such emotions. After all, there is always someone smarter, stronger, faster, more charismatic, more beautiful, etc.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,456 Posts
Unpopular opinion - "jealousy/envy" (specifically) is only alright; if you're DOING something about it ... :numbness: Like any sickness receiving treatment in effective doses.

Otherwise (you are simply wasting time on false hope) - and other self-defeatist anxieties. Anxiety (false hopes / fears); are the routes to unhappiness vide Epicurus.

Are you happy?

·
Registered
46 Posts
There's nothing wrong with you.

I'm an extremely jealous person. But I'm also extremely competitive. Improvement is my drive, and I'm always looking to be better.

Like Catwalk said, it's alright if you're doing something about it. I think it's good. But if you just let it fester, it's wasted time and wasted pain.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
I'm not jealous or envious of others, either. I have too many good things going for me to be jealous of anyone. I just think some people are ungrateful for what they have, not that I'm jealous of them. Many girls often compete against me for no reason. I couldn't care less whether or not they're better than me. I mind my own business.

The only people I'm jealous of, are the guys who know a ton of programming coding that I have no patience to learn, lol.

Reactions: nO_d3N1AL
1 - 7 of 7 Posts