Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Life is like a jigsaw puzzle.

You start out as one central piece, and as you grow and go through life, you keep finding more pieces that fit and constructing a picture of what it is to be you.

Maybe overall, the image will be a wide, dreamy landscape, or waves, or constellations, or something fantastical, or familiar details washed in warm sunlight, or something you can't even quite make out. But that overall feeling of "you" is all the pieces that fit together with your piece and what you found before. Maybe the final shape won't be an even rectangle, but something with somewhat jagged edges and even wholes--but it's still beautiful. And you still have to keep searching for pieces that fit. It is a puzzle, after all.

What might your jigsaw puzzle look like?

What might be some of pieces? What are some big ones? Little ones?

What pieces fit most closely to you?

What pieces have you added lately?

What is the overall color scheme or feel of the puzzle? What sort of image, if any?

What is it like now...are there holes, is there one area with more pieces than others, are there empty places you especially want to explore? Or are the edges fairly regular?

Feel free to post images too!

Answer any or none of the above, and add whatever you'd like:)

(me briefly)

My color scheme would be deep blues.

Some important pieces (in no particular order): my closest family, music, architecture, the natural landscape of my home area, venice, mozart, violin, nature, italy, a wonderful cat, creeks/canals, cold sunny winter days, . . .

Some I've added recently: my university, my university's city, boston terrier, studio, more architecture, turandot, the owner of some wonderful green eyes who, whether or not I'll end up with now or in a few years, will be in this puzzle forever now I know, a faint dream of conducting, new/somewhat changed style, new music, . . .

Areas I want to explore more: I'm currently very eager to find more pieces for the architecture section:). I feel like that side might grow more intensely for the next few years, and then i'll have to go back and puzzle in the missing spaces.

There are defiantly holes now, but overall I'm happy with that. I don't think I want a perfectly rectangular puzzle in the end. Just so long as the important areas are pieces together elegantly by the time I'm old, it doesn't matter one bit if they are reaching out in all possible directions.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
What a great idea for a thread!

Hm, I’d say it’s hard to see what image or pattern my jigsaw puzzle is following now. I would describe not as an image or color, but really just a wide range of colors that don’t really follow any discernible pattern. I can see each corner and side as different eras that will eventually make the center much more clear. Maybe there is a clear pattern, but it's impossible to see until it's at least 2/3 complete.

I didn’t start at the center of the puzzle and expand, but on the upper corner and worked downwards, following more of a spiral pattern towards the center.

Some pieces are family, eras, friends, different memories, pets, books, hobbies, locations. Schools and colleges I’ve been to, jobs I’ve had, places I’ve lived, opinions I’ve held, opinions I’ve abandoned. There are portions for the way I saw myself and others at different times, the way I see different past selves now, different ways I’ve hoped to be, how I think I'm seen, how I want to be seen, how these have evolved, potential outcomes I’ve wanted to avoid.

There are plenty of holes, and I also like it that way and don't plan to fill all holes. Though, some pieces were completely left out of the box and the different times I’ve gone to therapy is like calling the customer service number. My puzzle was supposed to come with 10000 pieces, but only came with 9983, so I've had to contact customer service to order replacement pieces, which can then allow me to keep fitting pieces at a steady pace.

Though some are still missing that weren’t in the box, but I’m still putting off calling customer service since it’s such a drag and I’m afraid I’ll just get put on hold again. Plus, I can always find the same pieces elsewhere for a much better price if I know where to look.

Other pieces I crammed in the wrong place for some time. Though, this does explain why the piece was really hard to fit, but I just assumed that maybe that part of the puzzle was designed poorly. But then I come across a missing piece and realize how much better the piece I already used fits there. Then I can search for the piece to fill the new vacancy held by the incorrect piece for so long, and it all starts to come together.

Some portions of the puzzle reserved for people I’ve known will always be empty. Once I come to a point where I know I'll never see someone again, that portion of the puzzle is complete, even with a few holes.

Though I don’t like the way holes look sometimes, so I’ll usually place some other little thing in the hole, a note, a coin, some other small object, something, just to take up space. This also prevents me from mistakenly trying to cram a piece that doesn’t belong in that spot. Then, in the rare events where I do encounter someone I thought I’d never see again, it will be easy to find that portion and fill in some of the missing pieces.

It hasn’t been a steady process, there have been a couple of times where I accidentally knocked the coffee table holding the puzzle over, disassembling most of the puzzle and having to start over. Though, this time I just started over on the floor, as it can’t be knocked over this way and should really help keep the process going, as long as I don't step on it. And I can still roughly remember how everything fit together before I knocked it over, so it doesn’t even take half the time to reassemble the disassembled portions.

Some pieces I’ve lost, because I never thought I’d really need them and thought they may have just been duplicates or pieces to another puzzle, but now I know they’re essential pieces. That’s ok though, I know they’ll probably turn up somewhere. :proud:

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
My puzzle would be rainbow to represent the highs and lows of life but I've also always been drawn to rainbows and I use colors to symbolize different things a lot in my poetry so that's why I chose rainbow. I imagine I'd have pieces that represent things that have shaped me from my past lives (assuming this isn't my first) and lessons, experiences and themes that have come up in my current life. Lessons I've learned would be filled and things I have yet to learn and accomplish would be currently empty. The themes I've chosen to major in, in all of my lives would probably be the biggest pieces. I would have different symbols to represent my different personas or aspects of myself. I would use animals like a dolphin (represents my more extroverted self) and the cat to represent my more introverted self. There's so much more than all of this so this isn't that in depth or an exhaustive list by any means.

Now lets get to the pictures since they're worth a thousand words. But even these would probably only be a fraction of what it would look like in reality. There's a picture limit, after all! ;)

So this is a vision board I created in the past that represented different aspects of myself:

And here's one I just made. So imagine it all being one connected puzzle. As you can see, I've used some avatars I had in the past:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both so much for sharing!! I loved reading your responses:) And @Vivid Melody, what amazing images!! I may have to try and do that now too:)

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Those images are amazing @Vivid Melody ! I especially loved the inclusion of Garfield in the second one. :laughing: Especially because of the way I noticed it last.

I scanned it as a whole a few times, then looked at each block individually, then scanned it as a whole again, then individually, then did this a few more times, (because they're all great images that draw attention), and then it all ended with finally noticing Garfield to draw it all together at the very end. I don't know if that's what you intended, but either way, :applause:

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Those images are amazing! I especially loved the inclusion of Garfield in the second one. :laughing: Especially because of the way I noticed it last.

I scanned it as a whole a few times, then looked at each block individually, then scanned it as a whole again, then individually, then did this a few more times, (because they're all great images that draw attention), and then it all ended with finally noticing Garfield to draw it all together at the very end. I don't know if that's what you intended, but either way, :applause:
Aw, I'm glad you and Snowflake Minuet liked them so much :) Lol, I thought you might appreciate the little cartoon characters hidden in there. So it turned out to be like a Where's Waldo? for you haha. And no, I didn't intentionally hide Garfield like that, he just sort of got buried underneath all of my other images lol. Poor Garfield. I messed around with it, trying to get him to show up better but then got frustrated because I couldn't get it to look right so was like "screw it. good enough!" lol However, Daffy Duck in my first collage was sort of meant to be camouflaged within the black of that other image because I thought that would be funny. He was supposed to represent my more goofy side in that collage, if I'm remembering correctly :D

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Aw, I'm glad you and Snowflake Minuet liked them so much :) Lol, I thought you might appreciate the little cartoon characters hidden in there. So it turned out to be like a Where's Waldo? for you haha. And no, I didn't intentionally hide Garfield like that, he just sort of got buried underneath all of my other images lol. Poor Garfield. I messed around with it, trying to get him to show up better but then got frustrated because I couldn't get it to look right so was like "screw it. good enough!" lol However, Daffy Duck in my first collage was sort of meant to be camouflaged within the black of that other image because I thought that would be funny. He was supposed to represent my more goofy side in that collage, if I'm remembering correctly :D
Haha, it was like a Where's Waldo? but even better because I didn't even know I was looking for Waldo. :shocked: Oh yeah, I didn't notice Daffy Duck in the first image until I saw Garfield in the second and went back to the first one. I think it's better that Garfield is sort of hidden and covered partially by the upper right image. I especially like how he's right under the dolphin. Since you explain the dolphin represents your more extroverted self, I love seeing the majestic, jumping dolphin of extroversion and then right below seeing Garfield face-planting a tray of lasagna in a way that reminds me of the comedown resulting from too much extroversion.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Haha, it was like a Where's Waldo? but even better because I didn't even know I was looking for Waldo. :shocked: Oh yeah, I didn't notice Daffy Duck in the first image until I saw Garfield in the second and went back to the first one. I think it's better that Garfield is sort of hidden and covered partially by the upper right image. I especially like how he's right under the dolphin. Since you explain the dolphin represents your more extroverted self, I love seeing the majestic, jumping dolphin of extroversion and then right below seeing Garfield face-planting a tray of lasagna in a way that reminds me of the comedown resulting from too much extroversion.
Surprise!!!! haha Or it's like finding Nemo but you didn't know you were trying to find him :p Ya, it's more like an Easter Egg :)

Lol, only you would think of that! That's perfect. And here I thought it merely represented my foodie ways! :D

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, I had a little fun doing a collage/puzzle thing for myself:). Many improvements needed, but thought I'd share anyway!

edit: did an old avatar one too. All of them? Definitely not, but a good many at least!!

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Oooh, they look great, Snowflake! I love the mood that you get from each of them.

Reactions: Snowflake Minuet

·
Registered
17 Posts
Its cool you wrote this snowflake Minuet :)
I wrote something very similar to this recently.
Reflecting on life as a jigsaw.
It started as lyrics for a song i was writing.
Imagining this jigsaw becoming a painting or mural that tells the story of your life.
Imagining what you want that painting/mural to look like.
Imagining the soundtrack that might be heard whilst viewing this mural.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts