Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no intention of offending any INTJ or drawing certain undesirable characteristics to you guys. This post is about our 39th President, Jimmy Carter and leadership.

Mr. Jimmy Carter, the 39th President of the United States

Jimmy Carter ran for President in 1976 as an outsider, stressing Washington's defects and his own virtues, not on any ideological issue. He instead promised to restore the nation morally, promising to better the lives of the American people and restore faith in the Presidency. He managed to defeat Gerald Ford by a tight margin.

He was
-Honest, sincere, secure
-Intelligent and hardworking
-A good mediator, having negotiated the Camp David Accords between Egypt and Israel

He was also
-Indecisive
-Made too many proposals at a time, did not define priorities, did not have a particular philosophical compass
-Uninterested in working with others, even his own party which controlled Congress
-Seemed weak in dealings and retreated too readily under pressure
-Often expressed a limit on things, from his own abilities to what the American people could expect
-Soviets invaded Afghanistan and Americans were taken hostage in Iran, implying weakness in leadership

Mr. Carter was defeated in a landslide by Ronald Reagan in 1980, with a popular vote of Regan's 43.9 million to Carter's 35.5 million and an electoral vote of 489 to 49.

Mr Carter has seen been a advocate for peace, traveling to nations such as Palestine and North Korea in the pursuit of the Carter Center's objectives.

What do you see in INTJ leadership? What are your styles of management and leadership? Do you see any similarities or differences in Carter and INTJ leadership?

P.S.: I have no intention to put down anyone. I hope that you can give me an honest and objective analysis of Mr. Carter and INTJ leadership.

·
MOTM Mar 2012
613 Posts
I don't really see many similarities. Running for president of the United States on the basis of 'virtues' has always seemed absurd to me. As an INTJ, I would run on competence all the way. Jimmy Carter is widely considered to have been a failure as president on a wide number of issues which relate directly to his competence. Quite simply, he wasn't able to make the necessary people respect him, and consequently, he struggled. I don't relate to that.

I have also found a couple sites that list him as an INFJ, which would explain why he was so good at mediation and so bad at decisions and unilateral leadership. The classic Cassandra situation. No offense to INFJs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really see many similarities. Running for president of the United States on the basis of 'virtues' has always seemed absurd to me. As an INTJ, I would run on competence all the way. Jimmy Carter is widely considered to have been a failure as president on a wide number of issues which relate directly to his competence. Quite simply, he wasn't able to make the necessary people respect him, and consequently, he struggled. I don't relate to that.

I have also found a couple sites that list him as an INFJ, which would explain why he was so good at mediation and so bad at decisions and unilateral leadership. The classic Cassandra situation. No offense to INFJs.
I still think he's a T having read 'White House Diary' and noticing how often he tries to analyze the situation objectively, wants to be fair and was also a nuclear physicist.

·
MOTM Mar 2012
613 Posts
I still think he's a T having read 'White House Diary' and noticing how often he tries to analyze the situation objectively, wants to be fair and was also a nuclear physicist.
'Objective analysis' is something that Introverted Intuition longs for, which can be INTJ or INFJ. Fairness is included in that.

The 'Feeling' functions are still thinking styles. And anyone can be a nuclear physicist, regardless of type.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
-Indecisive
Not an INTJ. I am very decisive and I make decisions based on practicality over ideals. I do value ideals but I also understand that they don't always get results. I believe his weaknesses can actually be attributed to a weak Te! Ignoring administrative and political realities and hoping everyone on the world stage will hold hands and sing Kumbayah is not Te.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Not an INTJ. I am very decisive and I make decisions based on practicality over ideals. I do value ideals but I also understand that they don't always get results. I believe his weaknesses can actually be attributed to a weak Te!
Not sure what type he is, I have heard INFJ and ISFJ.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
As others have said, I think that an INTJ president would be no-nonsense, but straightforward in their leadership style. Jimmy Carter was more of a moral individual -a fact that makes him a good person, but not efficient as a Head of State due to the fact that the rest of the world is not as morally upright as Carter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For examples of INTJ Presidents, look at Kennedy, Jefferson, and Wilson, all of which are notable, and Arthur, Coolidge, and Polk, which are not at all notable. The point: MBTI type is not at all a good predictor of how good a President someone will be, whether they're INTJ or not. Of the types, INTJ probably has one of the best chances of being a great President, but it mostly comes down to the individual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts