Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing is certain: JK Rowling is an introvert and is in the Si/Ne axis, given the characteristics of the fantastic and mythical world she created. She wrongly self-types as INFJ, but I'm not buying it (I don't think anybody is).

I used to think Rowling was more of an ISFJ, but the recent posts of a forum member (@bmuddy120 I'm mentioning you here haha) made me rethink this typing and now I'm strongly considering INFP 9.

One thing is certain: from the few interviews I've watched, she shares one core characteristic that is very common in all the INFPs I've observed: the lack of vigorous external self-expression. You can't tell what she is feeling. She doesn't wear her emotions on her sleeves; everything is very subtle and internalized with this woman.

Reactions: bmuddy120

·
Registered
421 Posts
One thing is certain: JK Rowling is an introvert and is in the Si/Ne axis, given the characteristics of the fantastic and mythical world she created. She wrongly self-types as INFJ, but I'm not buying it (I don't think anybody is).

I used to think Rowling was more of an ISFJ, but the recent posts of a forum member (@bmuddy120 I'm mentioning you here haha) made me rethink this typing and now I'm strongly considering INFP 9.

One thing is certain: from the few interviews I've watched, she shares one core characteristic that is very common in all the INFPs I've observed: the lack of vigorous external self-expression. You can't tell what she is feeling. She doesn't wear her emotions on her sleeves; everything is very subtle and internalized with this woman.
Thanks for the mention, and yes in my opinion I think calling JK Rowling a Fe user is very off. She's almost Fi so much to a fault, she even has this strong inner immature Fi vibe to her even as a mature older women by appearance. Whenever I think of JK Rowling now even if its been a few months since I've her twitter posts I think of an emotionally sensitive INFP lady feeling very strongly about the world and its actions in a very Fi dom and deep inner value angered and sensitive way. She has the typical Fi INFP activist mindset even though Fe users and any type can be activist, she feels so strongly about everything and has such strong Fi empathy for things, people, and children that she can't help but want to give and help them, yes Fe users are more often more emotionally supportive and giving but Fi doms also care strongly about things and care deeply for everything and what's going on in society too. She doesn't do this in a Fe way but Fi way if that makes sense, the nuance between the too is tricky I'll admit when an Fi user wants to help people and a Fe user wants to help people, they both care about this and others its not exclusive to Fe like people think. Curiosity and imagination and seeing multiple possibilities and perspectives with Rowling's Ne aux is everything to her, her writing style with Happy potter also reflects this because its the ultimate imaginative INFP story and has a huge wacky world with tons of unique ideas and possibilities realized in the world of happy potter, with a ISFP main character in Harry himself.

Also my bad this post wasn't just responding to you but also just the thread in general, haha.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Lol I also have a new question. Why are INFPs and ISFJs mixed up so much? It's hilarious cause the types are so different and have different functions haha. I type Hinata Hyuga, Chopper, and Gohan INFP in my opinion for example. I made posts on each of them that you can see here. You know what? I'm even gonna post them and share my opinion here on the INFP forums section too for each of them like I did with the ENFP anime characters here and some ISTJ and ENFJ characters too and for Sokka ENTP I also shared here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/infp/comments/hyfrll

·
Registered
421 Posts
Also be prepared for people arguing Rowling is INFJ btw, I disagree with that typing and type her INFP but to each their own.

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also be prepared for people arguing Rowling is INFJ btw, I disagree with that typing and type her INFP but to each their own.
Pretty sure Rowling is not an INFJ. Few people buy the INFJ typing for her lol. Not even CelebrityTypes did. I find her way too soft to be INFJ or to have Se in her stack (even inferior Se).

One interesting thing Socionics covers, is that INFPs in MBTI are actually Judgers/judging dominants. They see everything through Ji. This is why Fi-Ne in Socionics is spelled INFj.

I think this makes sense for Rowling. As you mentioned, she is always judging the world through her moral glasses. I think this is what you called “sensitive inner values”. INFJs aren’t like this, really. Ni-Fe is way more amoral than Fi-Ne.

I think people often make a confusion between INFP and ISFJ because both are the softest types IMO. They are introverts, feelers and value Si, so they have low impact and presence on the environment.

The only significant difference I can think of is INFPs are slightly more serious.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Pretty sure Rowling is not an INFJ. Few people buy the INFJ typing for her lol. Not even CelebrityTypes did. I find her way too soft to be INFJ or to have Se in her stack (even inferior Se).

One interesting thing Socionics covers, is that INFPs in MBTI are actually Judgers/judging dominants. They see everything through Ji. This is why Fi-Ne in Socionics is spelled INFj.

I think this makes sense for Rowling. As you mentioned, she is always judging the world through her moral glasses. I think this is what you called “sensitive inner values”. INFJs aren’t like this, really. Ni-Fe is way more amoral than Fi-Ne.

I think people often make a confusion between INFP and ISFJ because both are the softest types IMO. They are introverts, feelers and value Si, so they have low impact and presence on the environment.

The only significant difference I can think of is INFPs are slightly more serious.
Well I agree with you but we shouldn't say the word moral too much as any type is capable of being moral or amoral/immoral. Fi or Fe or not. But yes in general Fi users are very moral driven and driven by inner values while Fe users can be and are very moral too but there morals are sometimes a bit flawed since they focus on the group dynamic and society and might sometimes be swayed by public opinion a lot on things regardless of good or bad. Fi lives by inner values completely separate from society completely. Fi users think Fe users are shallow and Fe users think Fi users are selfish even if there both just stereotyping each other at the end of the day.

And yeah that socionics things I know about and is dope and interesting. I'm learning about socionics right now with the shadow functions and the quadras. I'm loving it so far, if we learn the quadras someone told me who introduced it to me said knowing the quadras fully would lead to less mistypes and make typing characters and people much easier.

And yes INFPs are soft and sweet and sensitive but they hate these stereotypes and remember that have Te in their stack even if inferior, when that Te comes out their not too soft anymore...lol, they act way harder than INFJs like me in my opinion, Deku as an INFJ isn't really hard at all and he uses Ni and Fe all the time.

·
Registered
421 Posts

INFJ is winning for JK Rowling here and I had to argue here as well here at Typologycentral why JK Rowling is INFP instead in my opinion again here in this Typology thread:

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I agree with you but we shouldn't say the word moral too much as any type is capable of being moral or amoral/immoral. Fi or Fe or not. But yes in general Fi users are very moral driven and driven by inner values while Fe users can be and are very moral too but there morals are sometimes a bit flawed since they focus on the group dynamic and society and might sometimes be swayed by public opinion a lot on things regardless of good or bad. Fi lives by inner values completely separate from society completely. Fi users think Fe users are shallow and Fe users think Fi users are selfish even if there both just stereotyping each other at the end of the day.

And yeah that socionics things I know about and is dope and interesting. I'm learning about socionics right now with the shadow functions and the quadras. I'm loving it so far, if we learn the quadras someone told me who introduced it to me said knowing the quadras fully would lead to less mistypes and make typing characters and people much easier.

And yes INFPs are soft and sweet and sensitive but they hate these stereotypes and remember that have Te in their stack even if inferior, when that Te comes out their not too soft anymore...lol, they act way harder than INFJs like me in my opinion, Deku as an INFJ isn't really hard at all and he uses Ni and Fe all the time.
I gotta say I dunno who Deku is. Maybe INFPs are capable of coming across as "tough" with inferior Te, but I think some INFJs can come across as hard too with inferior Se. I see Se as a "tough" function, maybe as much as Te is.

ENFJ for example is INFJ on steroids. What makes them assertive is tertiary Se for sure.

If most people here and TypologyCentral think Rowling is INFJ, it is proof that their typing skills kind of suck lol. The Reddit MBTI community seems to have better typists.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I gotta say I dunno who Deku is. Maybe INFPs are capable of coming across as "tough" with inferior Te, but I think some INFJs can come across as hard too with inferior Se. I see Se as a "tough" function, maybe as much as Te is.

ENFJ for example is INFJ on steroids. What makes them assertive is tertiary Se for sure.

If most people here and TypologyCentral think Rowling is INFJ, it is proof that their typing skills kind of suck lol. The Reddit MBTI community seems to have better typists.
Nah the mbti reddit mistypes people and characters all the time too, the MBTI community kinda sucks in general including me sometimes as I've mistyped in the past, my dumbass thought Taylor Swift was a Fi dom remember, smh. We all suck, everywhere on reddit, here on PerC, Typology, we all gotta grow and improve as humans and type correctly and better through the discussions like this. One thing we can all agree on though, Personality Database is complete trash and the worst community full of negative trolls and fools who misunderstand characters and functions all the time.

And Deku is from My Hero Academia, an anime that's very popular today if you've heard of it.

·
Registered
421 Posts

https://www.reddit.com/r/mbti/comments/hdxp8q

·
Registered
ISFP
2,538 Posts
Her name makes me think, Just Kidding ROFL.

Reactions: Aiwass

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,196 Posts
That's how she comes across? Well, she is British. Subtlety and being emotionally reserved is just keeping to the cultural norms of British society. From my (also British) standards anyway, she's emotionally expressive enough (I can tell how she's feeling) and she has a strong Ni-Fe focus.

Also,
and is in the Si/Ne axis, given the characteristics of the fantastic and mythical world she created.
Need more elaboration here what these characteristics are which translates to her being Si/Ne or Ne/Si.
Ni/Se users can obviously write fantasy as well, so this argument would need to be expanded upon rather than it just being accepted as a given.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That's how she comes across? Well, she is British. Subtlety and being emotionally reserved is just keeping to the cultural norms of British society. From my (also British) standards anyway, she's emotionally expressive enough (I can tell how she's feeling) and she has a strong Ni-Fe focus.

Also,

Need more elaboration here what these characteristics are which translates to her being Si/Ne or Ne/Si.
Ni/Se users can obviously write fantasy as well, so this argument would need to be expanded upon rather than it just being accepted as a given.
I saw that interview and I saw more Fi and Ne here in her.

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Also,

Jung basically wrote Si is the “mythology” function (you can read his Introverted Sensing description for yourself if you doubt me), and I believe this is true. Not saying Ni isn’t capable of being creative (it is), it is just creative in a different way. Ne-Si is the kind of imagination that will create a whole different world. A fantastic, detached from reality, fairy-tale like world. And this is what Harry Potter is. A fantastic, mythologized world. I think Ne types are much more likely to create stories like this than Ni types.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
where would an ISFJ gather the imagination to create such a deep universe? She is obviously intuitive.
this kind of blatantly typist thinking is why i don't spend time here anymore
intuitives aren't the only people with imagination
ISFJs are perfectly capable of creating rich worlds for stories
in fact, Si is probably the most stereotypical storytelling/worldbuilding function, if you're going to insist on relying on typist stereotypes

that being said, JKR sucks and i dislike her personally, so the INFPs can take her for all i care

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this kind of blatantly typist thinking is why i don't spend time here anymore
intuitives aren't the only people with imagination
ISFJs are perfectly capable of creating rich worlds for stories
in fact, Si is probably the most stereotypical storytelling/worldbuilding function, if you're going to insist on relying on typist stereotypes

that being said, JKR sucks and i dislike her personally, so the INFPs can take her for all i care
Agree with everything you said about typism, but why do you think JKR sucks? Does it have something to do with that “transphobic” controversy?

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,196 Posts
Jung basically wrote Si is the “mythology” function (you can read his Introverted Sensing description for yourself if you doubt me), and I believe this is true. Not saying Ni isn’t capable of being creative (it is), it is just creative in a different way. Ne-Si is the kind of imagination that will create a whole different world. A fantastic, detached from reality, fairy-tale like world. And this is what Harry Potter is. A fantastic, mythologized world. I think Ne types are much more likely to create stories like this than Ni types.
I don't doubt that, but Ni itself is highly preferential to the mythical, archetypal and symbolic.
Really? Is there some Ni brand of fantasy fiction then in comparison?

·
Registered
421 Posts

Sorry I fell asleep, so "I've always said I'm not gonna say I definitely won't because I don't see why I should say that" - JK Rowling Ne aux keeping the possibilities open with things she does and never saying no too quickly and not being close minded to things and rather being open to the possibility writing more or doing more of something she does and still working on projects in the future and keeping the possibility open at all times.

"The image was so disturbing I wanted to turn the page infact I have turned the page" Having insanely strong inner Fi feelings about things and horrible things she sees in the world and having her deep inner Fi values being hurt and offended." Fi coming out in JK Rowling as a very sensitive and idealistic INFP with her here.

"And I felt very ashamed myself" - Si feeling bad with what she did and holding onto to the past bad experience and going back to it and tackling it after all, "And I thought no, if its as bad as it looks you need to do something about it" After being hung up on her Si tertiary experience here and holding onto a very bad past experience with her she tackled her inferior Te confidence and efficiency and decided to be confident with her Te inferior and face her fears and get something done and do something about the problem instead of feeling emotional strongly with her Fi and trying to brush it under the rug in a sensitive stereotypical INFP NF sensitive idealistic way, I know I'm stereotyping here but I think the stereotypes of NFs and INFPs apply well for this particular example, scenario, and interview. Along with dealing with her strong Fi dom feelings on the topics and issues her Fi feels so strongly about here and with other social things and things she wants to change and help with children and people she wants to help out so strongly with her Fi empathy for them and strong feelings to help people in need at all cost, remember Fe isn't the helping people function and Fi users feel just as strongly about things and people in need and even a lot of the time want to help people even more than Fe users even. Rowling is tackling her inferior Te confidence and lack of efficiency here and is facing her fears of seeing bad things happen to people and is trying to stop her inferior Te from holding her back and is trying to do something about this and these issues and help them finally and be more confident and efficient and help these people even if she struggles with Te inferior constantly usually and wants to brush negative things she sees normally under the rug as a sensitive and empathetic and idealistic INFP women here as she shows to us in this interview.

She's also open to the possibility of writing for children again with her Ne aux, Rowling this entire interview was open to possibilities of doing things with her Ne aux and kept possibilities open the whole interview with her Ne which led to the interviewer saying "Well it sounds like the chance of you coming back to Harry Potter is open then!" And Rowling laughed and admitted yeah that's basically what I said didn't I.

She also showed Ne indecision when going back in forth on if she should write more harry potter or not and then ended it off on again I'll never say I won't ever do something again so yes the possibility does exist still to explore and write some of the Harry Potter universe again someday in the future, she also was indecisive with her Ne aux again when she struggled with the wording on how to say never say never and decided instead to say "I've always said I'm not gonna say I definitely won't because I don't see why I should say that" again. Ni users also struggle with their words a lot but Ne users do this kind of thing more often because they have Ne indecision on things and think of all possibilities in their mind when doing something or making a decision which leads to delays and time wasted and being spent when there forced to make sudden decisions on the spot, JK Rowling clearly showed Ne brainstorming here in this interview and Ne indecision as well. JK Rowling is definitely INFP and a Fi dom and Ne aux user.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts