Personality Cafe banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
this kind of blatantly typist thinking is why i don't spend time here anymore
intuitives aren't the only people with imagination
ISFJs are perfectly capable of creating rich worlds for stories
in fact, Si is probably the most stereotypical storytelling/worldbuilding function, if you're going to insist on relying on typist stereotypes

that being said, JKR sucks and i dislike her personally, so the INFPs can take her for all i care
I agree on the typism and can understand your pain. Your right its bad and shouldn't happen in the community, ISFJs can make rich worlds too, I think both Si and Ne both can make rich and amazing imaginative worlds. And their connected as functions anyway so you can't have one without the other with Si and Ne, so in way a ISFJ is no different than a INFP fundamentally in terms of Si and Ne in their stack, its just about which function they use more often. I will admit though I do think high Ne users have an easier time making rich imaginative worlds because of Ne high up in their stack, a lot of the best writers of all time are INFP, theres like no contest so many INFP amazing writers out there like our debate with Rowling here, JRR Tolkien, Edgar Allan Poe, Shakespeare, Ray Bradbury and more. But yeah your right Si doms and ISFJs can also make rich and amazing imaginative worlds too, especially with their amazing Si dom memory with things. I love my ISFJ friend and he has an amazing memory and great detail in his mind and has tons of richness in him. Also for Rowling we shouldn't get triggered when typing, we have to use function and behavior to type. Not emotion on liking them or not and saying you can have them lol, I'm not a fan of that logic when typing someone personally in my opinion. I don't like the character or person so there not my type so you can have them, that logic is very flawed and wrong in my opinion lol. I hate Hitler for instance with all my might and think he was a terrible person for all the wrongdoing he did, but he's still INFJ at the end of the day unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't doubt that, but Ni itself is highly preferential to the mythical, archetypal and symbolic.
Really? Is there some Ni brand of fantasy fiction then in comparison?
I don’t remember Ni being associated with the mythical. With the archetypal and the symbolic? Yes, but not with the mythical.

I think Stephen King is a good example of INxJ novelist. INTJ, in his case. Even though his novels are highly creative and have supernatural elements, they’re all set in some setting that is very close or even identical to the real world (Se). He doesn’t do the Ne/Si “creating a whole new fantastic world” thing. He makes his plot interesting, mysterious, disturbing and curious in the real world, which I think is more in line with the Ni/Se cognition.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don’t remember Ni being associated with the mythical. With the archetypal and the symbolic? Yes, but not with the mythical.

I think Stephen King is a good example of INxJ novelist. INTJ, in his case. Even though his novels are highly creative and have supernatural elements, they’re all set in some setting that is very close or even identical to the real world (Se). He doesn’t do the Ne/Si “creating a whole new fantastic world” thing. He makes his plot interesting, mysterious, disturbing and curious in the real world, which I think is more in line with the Ni/Se cognition.
I disagree and type Stephen King, INTP, I used to think INFP but people said INTP and Ti dom with him and I can see it. He's definitely a Ne aux and NP too, he hates planning out things also and planning the ending of books he makes, he loves coming up with ideas as he goes and going with the flowing and being open ended, classic perciever traits.

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I disagree and type Stephen King, INTP, I used to think INFP but people said INTP and Ti dom with him and I can see it. He's definitely a Ne aux and NP too, he hates planning out things also and planning the ending of books he makes, he loves coming up with ideas as he goes and going with the flowing and being open ended, classic perciever traits.
King’s definitely a thinker and an Enneagram 5. I don’t buy INTP. I can see why some people think INTP but I believe INTJ makes MUCH more sense.

I’m going to create a thread in the INTJ forum latter explaining why I think he is such a good example of the INTJ cognition.

Don’t forget, INTJs (Ni-Te) are actually perceiving dominants. They perceive first with Ni and judge last. INTPs are the actual judging dominants - they judge first with Ji and perceive last with Ne. Socionics covers that.

·
Registered
420 Posts
King’s definitely a thinker and an Enneagram 5. I don’t buy INTP. I can see why some people think INTP but I believe INTJ makes MUCH more sense.

I’m going to create a thread in the INTJ forum latter explaining why I think he is such a good example of the INTJ cognition.

Don’t forget, INTJs (Ni-Te) are actually perceiving dominants. They perceive first with Ni and judge last. INTPs are the actual judging dominants - they judge first with Ji and perceive last with Ne. Socionics covers that.
Yes I know that, I meant perceiver traits in the open ended laid back spontaneous way, not percieving taking information which is what intuition and sensing is. And yes go make it, we can debate on King as INTJ vs INTP here. I'll gather my evidence and debates to argue and threads I know he's talked about in. Lets do it haha. I love a challenge, loool.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,195 Posts
Well, what is mythology? It's passed-down archetypal narrative with symbolic archetypal characters (such as deities who represent the elements or other various concepts) that shape society in a certain direction and tell some mystical "truth" or moral lesson usually.
Jung himself believed the similarities between different culture's myths expressed the existence of universal archetypes
The archetypal and mythical go hand in hand.

Well okay, I don't know King's type, but even if this was true, Harry Potter itself is set in modern Britain.
It isn't really creating a whole brand new world like Tolkien did with Middle Earth, it's taking the real world and adding a layer of fantasy worldbuilding and supernatural elements to it.

Sorry I fell asleep, so "I've always said I'm not gonna say I definitely won't because I don't see why I should say that" - JK Rowling Ne aux keeping the possibilities open with things she does and never saying no too quickly and not being close minded to things and rather being open to the possibility writing more or doing more of something she does and still working on projects in the future and keeping the possibility open at all times.
It's alright, but no, that is not particularly indicative of Ne. It just means she's reasonably open-minded enough to realize she might come up with some additional material in the future that she wants to write. She's a writer, so of course she probably will want to write more in the future. It's a reasonable assumption to have. So she doesn't want to be too absolutist about not doing anymore and then having to eat her words later on (plus she knows its what her fans want to hear).
But overall she's seems perfectly content with how the series wrapped up that even if she never wrote any further content to Harry Potter it would be fine to her because the main story has been told.

"The image was so disturbing I wanted to turn the page infact I have turned the page" Having insanely strong inner Fi feelings about things and horrible things she sees in the world and having her deep inner Fi values being hurt and offended." Fi coming out in JK Rowling as a very sensitive and idealistic INFP with her here.
Being disturbed by a horrible picture doesn't automatically equal a Fi user. Would an Fe user look at a disturbing picture of a suffering child and just shrug in indifference by comparison?
Strong Fe despises external disharmony and suffering. Fe can easily make you feel guilty if you try to ignore it.

"And I felt very ashamed myself" - Si feeling bad with what she did and holding onto to the past bad experience and going back to it and tackling it after all, "And I thought no, if its as bad as it looks you need to do something about it" After being hung up on her Si tertiary experience here and holding onto a very bad past experience with her she tackled her inferior Te confidence and efficiency and decided to be confident with her Te inferior and face her fears and get something done and do something about the problem instead of feeling emotional strongly with her Fi and trying to brush it under the rug in a sensitive stereotypical INFP NF sensitive idealistic way, I know I'm stereotyping here but I think the stereotypes of NFs and INFPs apply well for this particular example, scenario, and interview. Along with dealing with her strong Fi dom feelings on the topics and issues her Fi feels so strongly about here and with other social things and things she wants to change and help with children and people she wants to help out so strongly with her Fi empathy for them and strong feelings to help people in need at all cost, remember Fe isn't the helping people function and Fi users feel just as strongly about things and people in need and even a lot of the time want to help people even more than Fe users even. Rowling is tackling her inferior Te confidence and lack of efficiency here and is facing her fears of seeing bad things happen to people and is trying to stop her inferior Te from holding her back and is trying to do something about this and these issues and help them finally and be more confident and efficient and help these people even if she struggles with Te inferior constantly usually and wants to brush negative things she sees normally under the rug as a sensitive and empathetic and idealistic INFP women here as she shows to us in this interview.
shrugs Well if that's how you view it. At least you admit you're basing the Fi conclusion on a stereotype.

She's also open to the possibility of writing for children again with her Ne aux, Rowling this entire interview was open to possibilities of doing things with her Ne aux and kept possibilities open the whole interview with her Ne which led to the interviewer saying "Well it sounds like the chance of you coming back to Harry Potter is open then!" And Rowling laughed and admitted yeah that's basically what I said didn't I.
Like before, I don't see this as a strong case for Ne-aux. Being open to the possibility of writing more children's fiction in the future doesn't mean much of anything function wise, let alone tell of the position of the function. It doesn't indicate Ne or Ni. You have to stop being so overly-simplistic here.

She also showed Ne indecision when going back in forth on if she should write more harry potter or not and then ended it off on again I'll never say I won't ever do something again so yes the possibility does exist still to explore and write some of the Harry Potter universe again someday in the future, she also was indecisive with her Ne aux again when she struggled with the wording on how to say never say never and decided instead to say "I've always said I'm not gonna say I definitely won't because I don't see why I should say that" again. Ni users also struggle with their words a lot but Ne users do this kind of thing more often because they have Ne indecision on things and think of all possibilities in their mind when doing something or making a decision which leads to delays and time wasted and being spent when there forced to make sudden decisions on the spot, JK Rowling clearly showed Ne brainstorming here in this interview and Ne indecision as well. JK Rowling is definitely INFP and a Fi dom and Ne aux user.
Anyone can brainstorm and be indecisive; not that I view her as being particularly indecisive here since she's being pretty clear that she's not going to outright reject the possibility of future works.
If I was JK Rowling I would make the same basic argument of: "Well look, I'm happy with how things concluded, I'm not looking to make any further sequels or spin offs, but if I come up with something insightful that adds further depth and meaning to the original work in the future then so be it, I'll definitely consider writing that. I'm not opposed to working on additional content if it's at least purposeful."

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well, what is mythology? It's passed-down archetypal narrative with symbolic archetypal characters (such as deities who represent the elements or other various concepts) that shape society in a certain direction and tell some mystical "truth" or moral lesson usually.
Jung himself believed the similarities between different culture's myths expressed the existence of universal archetypes
The archetypal and mythical go hand in hand.

Well okay, I don't know King's type, but even if this was true, Harry Potter itself is set in modern Britain.
It isn't really creating a whole brand new world like Tolkien did with Middle Earth, it's taking the real world and adding a layer of fantasy worldbuilding and supernatural elements to it.

It's alright, but no, that is not particularly indicative of Ne. It just means she's reasonably open-minded enough to realize she might come up with some additional material in the future that she wants to write. She's a writer, so of course she probably will want to write more in the future. It's a reasonable assumption to have. So she doesn't want to be too absolutist about not doing anymore and then having to eat her words later on (plus she knows its what her fans want to hear).
But overall she's seems perfectly content with how the series wrapped up that even if she never wrote any further content to Harry Potter it would be fine to her because the main story has been told.

Being disturbed by a horrible picture doesn't automatically equal a Fi user. Would an Fe user look at a disturbing picture of a suffering child and just shrug in indifference by comparison?
Strong Fe despises external disharmony and suffering. Fe can easily make you feel guilty if you try to ignore it.

shrugs Well if that's how you view it. At least you admit you're basing the Fi conclusion on a stereotype.

Like before, I don't see this as a strong case for Ne-aux. Being open to the possibility of writing more children's fiction in the future doesn't mean much of anything function wise, let alone tell of the position of the function. It doesn't indicate Ne or Ni. You have to stop being so overly-simplistic here.

Anyone can brainstorm and be indecisive; not that I view her as being particularly indecisive here since she's being pretty clear that she's not going to outright reject the possibility of future works.
If I was JK Rowling I would make the same basic argument of: "Well look, I'm happy with how things concluded, I'm not looking to make any further sequels or spin offs, but if I come up with something insightful that adds further depth and meaning to the original work in the future then so be it, I'll definitely consider writing that. I'm not opposed to working on additional content if it's at least purposeful."
Agree to disagree but I still stand by my points, yes there are exceptions but brainstorming multiple possibilities and being indecisive is an Ne trait not an Ni one, if a Ni user does this there using there Ne. Ni is way more decisive than Ne, Ni makes conclusions quickly and then tries to prove them with more information and evidence which Rowling never did here. And yes Fi and Fe can do those things, but high Fi users are always gonna have stronger inner deep feelings about things, INFJ for Rowling doesn’t make sense to me, she has the typical overly sensitive INFP stereotype going for her, even if yes to a degree I am stereotyping here I’ll admit but I think my points are still justified based on what I said.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts