Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm currently in a Job that is really making me feel like i'm a downright scum for I just find it so hard to be precise and detail centered as it does come to me naturally and I'm just having so much fights and friction between myself and my Boss , Is it possible to change Jobs or Just quit when you really don't have much patience left .

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That must be awful for you @AwesomeDavid88... it is not easy being in a job to which you do not feel suited... and doubly awful when you don't get support and mentoring from your manager/leader.

Quitting your job is physically possible, but only you can decide whether it is the right course of action for you or not.

I have been in this situation twice. The first time I decided to stay and it marked one of the greatest self-improvement periods of my life. I literally taught myself how to use critical thinking, how to plan and how to lead in order to become better at my job. I set little goals for myself and over time my manager started to see improvements and actually started helping me rather than tell me off all the time. I won't lie to you... it was a LOT of effort, I was exhausted a lot of the time and frequently got sick but I still believe that I made the right decision. I wouldn't be where I am in my career without it.

The second time, I decided that the effort was not worth the pain because the gaps were too substantial and I wasn't really interested in gaining the skills I would need in order to do the job properly. But I made sure I had an exit strategy. I found myself a new job before quitting the old one and I made sure that I smoothed things over with my boss so that my reputation would remain intact.

In summary, I guess it comes down to considering a few key factors:
- How bad your current job is compared with other jobs you are qualified for;
- How unhappy you are;
- How likely it is you will be happy doing something else;
- How much effort you can afford to put into improving your skill gaps;
- Whether you think you can improve on your skill gaps;
- Whether it's possible to get another job before you leave this one; and
- How long you are able to survive materially without a job.

I find that although it feels great to follow my heart/gut/passion, in order to thrive, I have to temper it with logic.

I truly hope all goes well for you and if you ever need some suggestions for how to improve skills gaps please feel free to PM me and I will share what works for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sangoire,
I Read your reply and was keen on knowing what you meant by gaps and also what if you are intending to move into a totally different career line would it better to start on
things which are more relevant to that area rather than pursuing something that is of little or no importance to my future career . I'm also quite concerned as the career does involve a major shift from the diploma that i'm holding onto and something that i think i would love to do on a university level . I would certainly love to hear your thoughts on this and how I can progress from here . Thank you for the sound advice as well to keep the Job till I have secured the next Job .

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I was hesitant to reply on this because I think @Sangoire made such a comprehensive reply, but I'd like to offer help or at least support. I'm in the middle of career changing from Accounts Payable jobs to Elementary Teaching. While it's hard sometimes to distinguish between bad fit (boss, work culture) or bad career (my skills/attitudes don't match this) I failed enough AP jobs to realize it wasn't for me. I had toyed around with the idea of teaching for most of my life. I loved schools, loved teachers, even was curious about the process of teaching at a young age. I however took a temporary weakness (social anxiety, inability to identify with my peers) as a reason to not get into teaching.

I'd love to know specifics, either here or via PM, about your situation. How long are you into your current career? What do you like/dislike about the job? If your boss was out of the situation, how would the job go? What are you good/not good at your job? Lastly, and this is completely subjective, do you feel satisfaction from your job? That can be anything you like; wages/salary is valid, because you can use money to fund your passion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always liked english and literature of any kind and can see myself either doing teaching or also working with people as a social worker/psychologist .. its been 3 years in this Job that i'm currently holding onto as a desktop technician but i'm always under constant verbal and psychological abuse at work and its causing me a lot of stress . My Job would go fine if my Boss was out of the picture but in terms of Job and Salary balance is not there at all , But i do hear the fact on Money being used on Passion and I am doing that by learning music on the weekends and I'm grateful for that oppurtunity , However going through hell from monday to friday just to acheive that seems like a torture rack :(

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hi Sangoire,
I Read your reply and was keen on knowing what you meant by gaps and also what if you are intending to move into a totally different career line would it better to start on
things which are more relevant to that area rather than pursuing something that is of little or no importance to my future career . I'm also quite concerned as the career does involve a major shift from the diploma that i'm holding onto and something that i think i would love to do on a university level . I would certainly love to hear your thoughts on this and how I can progress from here . Thank you for the sound advice as well to keep the Job till I have secured the next Job .
I define skill gaps as areas that I need to improve upon. For instance, although I work in IT I am not particularly well versed in infrastructure knowledge. I know enough to get my job done and how to identify the right questions to ask so that I can pick the best test strategy and test scope. Technical knowledge - Infrastructure is a skill gap for me.

If I were thinking about shifting careers, I would look for skill gaps that are applicable to both careers first. If I were moving from a technical career to a humanities career, I would focus on soft skills (Soft skills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) because they are transferable (ie they are useful to have in any job). In your situation Conflict Resolution may be a great place to start.

If your boss is psychologically and verbally abusive to you then conflict exists in your current job... learning how to defuse it, resolve it and manage the impacts to your wellbeing may increase job satisfaction/decrease dissatisfaction and may change your bosses perception of your performance.

It is also applicable in teaching, because you may need to settle conflict in a classroom or "playground" setting (not to mention other teachers and admin staff... my Mum is a Head Mistress and some of the stories she has told me... sheesh!!).

As it happens I am considering a career change and am studying Psychology as an undergraduate. IT doesn't excite me, it is not something that I am passionate about. And as @bigstupidgrin so rightly identified passion is hugely important... especially to us INFP's. Much like you @AwesomeDavid88, my job is paying for my passion and it is getting old fast (and my bosses are pretty decent).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts