Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I've already asked this before, but I think it's worth asking again, since I want to know everyone's stories, hopefully it could help clear my current life dilemma:

(Note: this thread is only for those INFPs who've worked in a job):

1) What's ur job now? and how did you get it? (through applying route, connections, or?..)

2) Is it ur dream job, or not?

3) Is your current job now related with your uni degree, or not necessarily?

4) So, let's say if this job is not ur current dream job, and you want to pursue your true, real dream job, but it somehow does require another uni degree, will you go back to school and spend like perhaps min. 2 years? how about the money?

thank you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Im unemployed. it would be my dream job except for the fact it doesn't pay well. i have a business degree and am currently an MBA student.

·
Registered
365 Posts
1) I have a couple different jobs right now: My main job is working as a receptionist/assistant at an arts organization (museum type thing). I also work a few shifts a week as a barista, and sometimes I teach extra-curricular art classes to middle schoolers.

I got the receptionist job by first doing an unpaid internship there, for class credit. I worked really hard and they decided to hire me once my time was up. I came so close to not applying for that internship it's actually silly! There was a bulletin on my college's website about it, asking for applications, and I thought there was no way I'd get it, because so many people would probably apply, etc. Obviously it really doesn't hurt to try in these situations!

I got the job as a barista by walking into the coffee shop and asking if they were hiring. They weren't, but had me fill out an application. I made sure to introduce myself to the owner and tell her I was very interested in working there sometime. Two months later, someone quit, and they called me.

I got the teaching job by being recommended by my friend, who taught through that program and was recommended by someone else, who was recommended by someone else, etc. All about the networking on that one. The woman in charge didn't even bother finding out how good of a teacher I was, just assumed based on who I knew.

2) None of these jobs are my dream job, but that's okay right now. I love having three different jobs because I get bored very easily, and this way I am constantly slipping into different roles, environments, and skill sets. My receptionist job can be very stressful and draining, but then the next day I get to spend time at the super-relaxed coffee shop, saying hi to all my friends and regulars, and basically put myself on auto-pilot. Full time at the coffee shop is very boring, but once or twice a week is fun and boosts my feelings of competence.

3) The receptionist job and the teaching job, yes. I have a bachelor of fine arts in painting.

4) Well... I mean, that would really depend. There are some other things I can imagine myself wanting to do, but I definitely don't hold too much stock in the idea of an actual "dream job." I am different from most people in the sense that the things I do want to do with my life don't require a university degree - they tend to be artsy things, or things that take me further and further away from "the system." I don't know where you live, but at least in America, way too much weight is given to the idea that one should have a defined, set Career, and that is who they are, and that is what they do, period. A job is just a fraction of your life, and it can be as big or little of a thing as you want it to be.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My official "grown up job" is senior network engineer, for a fortune 100 company. I design all of their wireless networks and deal with their secure communications and firewalls. I started going to college to become a aeronautical engineer a long time ago. I ran out of money and was forced to get a job to pay for school and never went back. I've worked for a number of computer companies, a couple of big defense contractors and now work for a global systems integration firm.

It was never really my dream job it was just something that I was naturally good at and paid well. The job I have now I got by being persistent about wanting to work for this particular manager. He was someone who was known pretty well in this facet of the IT industry and once I was able to get in touch with him, shared a few of my ideas and goals (as well as floated several resume's) and he eventually hired me.

I'm in my mid 40's and don't have a college degree, even though I've gone back a number of times, in an attempt to at least get a bachelors degree. Unfortunately, the dynamics of my job keep me moving and quite busy. And since I've reached pretty much every goal I've set for myself (not many, but still important ones to me), I doubt I'd bother going back to school, even if they threw boatloads of money at me.

As for my dream job, there's not a big call for "old school" black & white photography. Everybody wants digital experience. Yeah I can do it, but my true passion was working with films, papers and chemicals, to make real photographs. I'd love to find a job doing that, hell I'd probably work for 60% less than what I'm getting paid now and still be happy.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all the comments, really appreciate it!

so, any other else who have this job-related and "Make a Living" dilemma, daily/everyday?..
please share here~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts