Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
LSI 5w4 5-9-4
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are the factors that go into making the perfect no brainer job?
• Relatively small amounts of communication required
• Predictable, repetitive tasks that can be performed in your sleep
• Speed is not a big issue
Can anyone think of entry-level-ish jobs meeting this description? I currently have a fast food job, but speed is usually a big issue.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
A Factory job sound like what your after.
Some of my friends work them and It sounds really chill at some of them.

One friend says that he docent haft to talk to anyone and just makes tools all day by himself.
He hast to keep up on his orders though, but by doing the same thing over and over again it would be hard for an INTP to not make a perfect system for it.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I here you man. Maybe try getting a job as an overnight stocker. at wal-mart or a chain grocery store that stocks all the shelves overnight. That's what I'm trying for. mindless, no customers to deal with, I can just do my job and not worry.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I here you man. Maybe try getting a job as an overnight stocker. at wal-mart or a chain grocery store that stocks all the shelves overnight. That's what I'm trying for. mindless, no customers to deal with, I can just do my job and not worry.
My reply is not related to the original poster's question, however I can relate to this. As a college freshman, I had a campus job working in the dish-room of the dining hall. The mindless, repetitive activity felt pretty therapeutic on a Sunday night (also, I'm rather OCD about cleaning) and was a great way to unwind and clear my head before the week ahead. This was my version of a "pamper" or "spa" evening.

The next year I moved onto much higher paying campus jobs, one with the university Writing Center and another with Career Services. I did miss my "spa" evenings though.

Reactions: grandpa2390

·
Registered
915 Posts
Huh, how'd you conclude that?
I mean like it is a waste of potential. Doing repetitive, routine work does not really stimulate one´s brain and the capacity is being wasted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why not go out of your comfort zone and try something... like an electronics salesman?

I did that for about 4-5 years. It's easy money, and doesn't require you to do shitty tasks.

It's also really helped me develop my people skills.

Reactions: Strelok

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have been a teacher for a good few years now. The thought was if I keep at it the fear/stress/strain will subside, and the interpersonal skills will develop. But guess what, nothing changed. I am not good dealing with people, and I don't know if I ever will be. But crucially, I never wanted to be. I'm giving the teaching one more year.

On the topic of what most people are talking about here, when I worked on an over-night ferry, doing random tasks on it, from cleaning the bar, to hoovering floors. I even cleaned stairs that went down to the engine room with a toothbrush. They gave us whacky jobs on there. But anyways, point is, I felt fantastic. At one point I remember the ship had docked, and I was scrubbing tables in the bar. I remember realizing how vital and fresh I felt, and then realizing that that vitality was a direct result of the physical activity of it all. I tried to force myself to think as I cleaned those tables that day, and saw that I couldn't think, it just wasn't possible. And therein, my suspicion is, is the answer to some of our problems. Being physically active will help deaden excessive thinking.

But these physically active jobs are generally fairly lousy jobs. So there's a problem going on. And maybe the only way to get round this problem is to create your own job, and customize it to suit your talents, needs, and ways.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well I'm not exactly sure how old you are but I'm guessing your in your early 20's? I realize you probably want a job where you can move up the ladder so to speak, so this probably won't interest you very much. But I'm a delivery driver for a local cheesesteak/pizza place and it is probably the most laid back job I've had so far, and it fits all the categories you listed.

Very minimal social contact, and it isn't hard at all to be polite and social when the customers answer the door. It's not like this at every place, especially places that specialize in deliveries (Dominos, Papa John's, etc.) but there is tons of down time and while I'm waiting for new orders my boss lets me read which is pretty awesome. I quit my old job since my boss was a complete tyrant and had his delivery drivers doing things that they weren't expected to do (answering phones and taking orders, which needless to say I was very bad at).

There's minimal communication, and delivering food is extremely repetitive but it's perfect for INTP's because you get to leave often and be alone in your car for a solid 15-30 minutes which is crucial for me. Speed is a non-issue only if the place you're working at is relatively small and only receives a handful of deliveries per day. It can be very stressful when you take multiple deliveries in one trip and you have to be on point, when there is absolutely no time for making a wrong turn somewhere.

But yeah, this could be a great side job if you're strapped for cash and want to do something on the side, although both places I've worked at have drivers that come in every day.

·
Registered
LSI 5w4 5-9-4
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A Factory job sound like what your after.
I thought those barely exist anymore.

Anyway, my brain isn't going to die because of having a boring job where I can think about whatever I want instead of worrying about stupid bullshit. I can stimulate my own mind.

I like the grocery store shelf-stocker suggestion most, although I wouldn't want to work nights.

Why not go out of your comfort zone and try something... like an electronics salesman
Well, doing something with computers (that doesn't require a degree and "connections") would be cool. I probably wouldn't cut it as a salesman, though.

Well I'm not exactly sure how old you are but I'm guessing your in your early 20's? I realize you probably want a job where you can move up the ladder so to speak, so this probably won't interest you very much. But I'm a delivery driver for a local cheesesteak/pizza place and it is probably the most laid back job I've had so far, and it fits all the categories you listed.
I'm not really concerned with climbing a corporate ladder or whatever. Mainly, I'd just like to earn more than minimum wage. If I could drive at the moment, I'd definitely consider delivery driver :)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Can anyone think of entry-level-ish jobs meeting this description? I currently have a fast food job, but speed is usually a big issue.
So you want to not really work hard at anything & get paid decently for doing it. Good luck...

“I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I worked at a warehouse for about six months a while back. I just loaded and unloaded trucks with a group of about five other guys. We didn't really talk at all, and as long as you can lift more than 50 pounds the work isn't too hard. I think I got something like 16 dollars an hour, which isn't bad.

Reactions: ADHR26

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I mean like it is a waste of potential. Doing repetitive, routine work does not really stimulate one´s brain and the capacity is being wasted.
I disagree. For me, doing mindless repetitive work becomes so automatic that I don't have to think about it anymore and can spend my time thinking about things that I am concerned about. Not always the height of scientific discovery or anything like that. But it gave me a chance to think about social interactions that went on through the day and stuff. Or I could listen to an audiobook about something that was interesting.
@finically
Yeah. When I worked at Taco Bell over the summer last year, I always fought to wash dishes. Not because I love washing dishes, but because back in the dishwashing area, I was my own boss. There was nobody back there to say I was moving to slow or do this and do that. just wash rinse dry. all the time I'd be listening to an audiobook or thinking about girls I was interested in and how I might attempt to woo her the next day. :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I disagree. For me, doing mindless repetitive work becomes so automatic that I don't have to think about it anymore and can spend my time thinking about things that I am concerned about.
I agree! Getting a low-scale, blue-collar job might not exactly be ambitious but it can buy you time to think, unwind, etc. (seriously, you can't be thinking ALL day. Brains need downtime too).

Albert Einstein comes to mind. In the early 1900s, his dull and mindless job at a patents office had a low workload. He devoted the downtime to making serious headway into his theories of space-time and the nature of light. Not bad for the man whose name is almost every person's reflexive association with the word "genius".

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
I agree! Getting a low-scale, blue-collar job might not exactly be ambitious but it can buy you time to think, unwind, etc. (seriously, you can't be thinking ALL day. Brains need downtime too).

Albert Einstein comes to mind. In the early 1900s, his dull and mindless job at a patents office had a low workload. He devoted the downtime to making serious headway into his theories of space-time and the nature of light. Not bad for the man whose name is almost every person's reflexive association with the word "genius".
I would be too obsessed with what I could be doing instead of that job, thus finding the job insulting to my pride and demeaning to my character. I wouldn't be able to think of theories or new ideas because I would be too upset with doing a job I saw as beneath me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.