Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody
I have just graduated and can't seem to find any job that is related to what I studied in college (Economics and Political Economy). All the jobs that are offered are either sales or customer service, and both are not a real preference for me and unenjoyable for me (INTP). I want to have a job that have a positive difference on society, where I can apply what I have learned in college. I want to work as a researcher or something related to the government.

Problem here is that I screwed up badly in college and graduated with a very low GPA (2.75) and it seems that no organization will hire me in my field. I also want to make graduate studies in Europe where college is really cheap there.

So fellow economist any help or advice on how to land a job in the economics field or making graduate studies in Europe ?
Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Whilst I am not a terminal degree holder(soon enough though), here is some wisdom.

First things first is to really be be adamant that you want to land a job in researching. Due to the lack of 3.0+ GPA, you will undoubtedly(as you noted) be pushed off into the rejection pile. I do believe a good course of action will be to take community college courses to raise that gpa as much as possible(lets say, for a year or so). That way a 3.8-4.0 gpa for 24-30 credits will show hr managers/admission committees that you are now serious about an advanced study.

Like yourself, when I graduated from my undergrad, I did not have the stellar gpa that I wanted. So I had to make some changes to my plan I had(instead of joining an elite ibank, I got recruited/applied into quant auditing). So, my advice to you would be to take any position that loosely relates to your area. This way when you put at least one year in you can start job hunting again to have a better shot. With an economics degree, you can at least do some sort of finance work(it will not be research related, but it will be a great full time work to have to boost what you want to show). In the beginning we all may have had to take a position which wasn't what we wanted. But after a year, more doors will open up for you as this shows employers you can handle a higher workload.

Keep your head up though. A position you like will come along.

ps - customer service always looks good. Shows you can handle insanity while keeping a botox looking smile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts