Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious if we find any similarities. What are some jobs you've had in the past or currently hold? Which ones have you really enjoyed? Which jobs have you despised?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I loved being a camp counselor in my later teens/early twenties. Good fun, shit pay. Food service industry was fun too. Being self employed is the best as an adult. Yet can be difficult if you have responsibilities other than yourself to take care of.

My least favorite was for a nonprofit community development corporation. It in involved a lot of paper and desk work along with a bunch of political type meetings. Lots of talk, little progress.

·
Registered
Beta Gang - EIE 3w4 - 368 sx/so
4,750 Posts
Salesman - Holiday Camp - Village monitor, I ve worked in a state agency that basically help people to find a job when they re unemployed and also give them some $$ for some time depending of how longed they worked before.

Overall, holiday village monitor is the best. Always something to do somewhere and you can motivate people to do the silliest and most spontaneous things, they ll always be up for it.

Its funny and awesome how adults can be more childlike than their kids. Think its the whole human interaction, fathomin that imperceptible connection, that little something that feed you with joy, not because of the sensations, but because of the beauty of the vibe. Its all about good karma and energy, dope shit.

Salesman is hilarious. Tho there are so many dicks in this line of work that just don't respect the customer at all and only do things so they get a bigger pay at the end of the month, it disgusted me kinda quickly

·
Registered
1 Posts
The job title was Researcher

My job consisted of calling Corporate Jet owners and their Chief Pilots and finding out if their aircraft was for sale now or in the near future. Now, most people have no idea how many different types of Corporate jets there are on the market. They are many more since I was in the business but I would say around 50 different ones. Crazy hah....

After you call 300 Citation II owners and chief pilots you know the aircraft from the front nose to tail and all the equipment inside as well. I got this job because I started out working for another jet broker who 's main purpose was to get listings on jets and turbo props which are corporate aircraft but the only difference is they have propellers that are actually run by the jet engines.

My job there was to get a 3 month exclusive right to sell, we would do all the advertising and receive a 6% commission when the jet sold. This was very similar to a real estate deal. We brokered anything with wings and a engine. After a couple years of that I took a job at a corporate jet dealer which had about 15-17 jets in inventory.

We had beautiful hangers with four to five jets parked inside on spotless floors that sparkled. I had a beautiful office with a green and yellow amazon parrot in my office who had a 250 word vocabulary and would sing opera at all the wrong times mainly when I was on the phone with a CEO of some multi-million dollar business.

Now the fun part..... I got to ride in these jets all over the country while most of the time flying in the right seat which is the co-pilot seat. I was very eager to learn everything I could about flying so the pilots would let me fly almost every time we flew somewhere. When I sold my first jet, we gave the new owner a ride back to Ft. Lauderdale from Venice Florida which is basically straight across the state from coast to coast. Venice airport was directly next to Venice beach.

My Jet Landing Story

He let me fly the Citation II from the minute after take off from Ft. Lauderdale airport off back across the state at night flying IFR ( Instrument flight rating). I had about 2 hours of IFR training but I considered myself a pretty fast learner and very confident. My V.P. of sales was a great pilot and was sitting in the left seat watching over me. I flew it all the way back and then set up for the landing. This was the point at which I said "OK it's all yours". he said drop the flaps, maintain this airspeed and click the mic from the radio to make the lights brighter on the runway.

At this point I understood he was letting me bring this baby in for a landing. I never felt so focused and busy at the same time in my life. It was awesome...I remember him saying keep that airspeed at 132 knots because we stop flying at 126 knots or so.

This was the stall speed at which the plane stops creating lift over the wings. As we approached the runway seeing just two rows of lights on each side I line up the plane and let it start settling down which seemed like an eternity and then as we were almost touching down he said pull up and pretend your a duck coming in for a smooth water landing and at the same time I lost sight of the runway because the nose was up waiting patiently for the wheels to touch.

Your focus now goes to looking out the side window watching the lights get closer and closer. Finally the wheels touched down and he immediately said push the nose down and hit the reversers. The reversers clamp off the exhaust coming out of the back of the engines and force all that exhaust forward helping to slow you down very quickly.

We were landing on a 5000 foot runway and did not have much room left after we had finally touched down. The reversers slowed us down very quickly and he grabbed the yoke and said Ok, i get us back to the hanger. I did not know at the time if he was helping me or not because I was so in the zone, but I did ask after we were taxing back. I said, how much of the plane did I have coming in on the landing. He said. You had it all and did a great job..Phew........I was high for two weeks after that. It really was some kind of feeling doing something I had never done before while knowing our lives depending on the outcome while doing it.

Sorry for the long post but I had to tell that story. It was one of the special things I have done in my life. I can also fly the small single prop planes like a 172 Cessna which I practiced all the time doing take off and landings at lunch time when I worked there. I guess it was a thrill for him to let me bring that jet in.

He knew I was really good at landing the little planes. I am glad he let me do it. He's gone now but he was a cool V.P. So that was a cool job and one thing is for sure.. You have no idea how small the country is until you have a corporate jet at your disposal. No lines, no terminals, no tickets or checks. Drive up, put your stuff in and take off.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I loved being a pilot. Before it was security transporting thousands of dollars of cargo. After that was working in a warehouse, rehabbing computers, but routinely hauling 170lb+ boxes around, sometimes carrying 80 pound boxes down aisles, jokingly earning me the nickname "Mr Muscle". Piloting was far the best though. Training for engine failures and undesirable flight conditions wasn't fun though. And it is true - once you're a pilot, you're always a pilot. Aviation just does not leave you. Ever.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm only 21 and haven't had any "real" jobs yet. My favorite thus far has been car salesman and my least favorite has been deli worker at firehouse subs.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'm young, and haven't had any "real" jobs because of it. Although, now I'm in the process of looking for one.

All I know is, customer service anything is out of the question. I worked customer service something since I was 15 and I just really don't care for people anymore. :dry:

If it's on the side....maybe. If it's my primary role in a job, no thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts