• NF - Unsure / No preference

Votes: 7 6.6%

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
They'd make a good couple. Two super narcissists
I think narcissism is an essential component in anyone seeking election to political office. Sadly.

·
Banned
2,345 Posts
Now that Trump is being impeached I could say Biden, but I don't think either one of them are good. Trump is openly bad, Uncle Joe is secretly bad (hilarious that his "affectionate" title is Uncle....anyway...).

Objectively I don't like anyone except Bernie Sanders and Tulsi Gabbard. Actually Tulsi Gabbard is the only politician I morally align with - she's vegan, a veteran, she understands real life but still has morals - but I don't expect her to get elected, which is why I still love Bernie. I almost want to say "settle for" Bernie because although he was more than enough for me in 2016, I don't like the fact that he didn't stand up for the environment at or after the Steak Fry. The Steak Fry was a damning and ridiculous act of hypocrisy on the part of the Democrats, even though they offered veggie burgers and yams, most of them ate red meat. Cory Booker openly approached the veggie burger grill, but he's backed away from every opportunity to talk about how meat relates to climate change, because he's afraid people won't vote for him. He stumbles on the tired "factory farms" narrative that all vegan Uncle Toms revert to under pressure (I do it myself, please don't eat factory farmed products, please just not that) ....but he's missed opportunities to talk about how even grassfed cattle harm the environment. Because he's afraid of being the Catholic, Mormon, weirdo in the race. I can't really blame him, also being Black, but I find it hard to forgive him because he's such a disgusting Centrist.

So yeah I guess I'm saying no Cory Booker for me even though eating veggie burger at Steak Fry, because overall, I only think Tulsi Gabbard is the best person, but Bernie Sanders is the closest to my morals and likely to get elected by the populist vote.

Fuck you, Uncle Joe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If I have to choose between the two I'd still vote Trump over Biden because it's a fact that Biden's son has some direct business ties with the CCP, therefore making it more likely that Biden's going to be soft on the CCP. Trump has not been hard enough on the CCP as he's a businessman at heart, if I were him I would not give AF about the trade deal and do everything I can to counter the CCP militarily, politically, and economically. US is not an angel but it's the lesser of two monsters when compared to the CCP and if I had to choose which country to remain the superpower in the world I'd much prefer America over the CCP. The CCP has got no regard for fundamental political, civil, and social freedoms, not only is it a threat to my people but it actively seeks to export its system to the world, a system that stands against democracy and liberty.

If the monumental task of bringing down the CCP can be achieved, I believe we would have much more confidence bringing down other authoritarian regimes including Kim, Putin, Iran, Syria, Cuba, Laos, Turkey etc. I even hope that one day the Middle East will have its monarchies removed and replaced by electoral democracies but for now I know the US won't do anything because Turkey's a key ally and the Gulf states, well, oil.

I am not a fan of US foreign policy, but for a country of its power and influence, I believe the US has been a relatively idealistic regime (in terms of some principles) that, while having committed its fair share of atrocities, is still relatively benign when compared to other superpowers in world history. Had it not been for US involvement, the world could have turned out far worse at critical junctures such as World War 2. Like, would anyone really want to live under Nazi or imperial Japanese domination? Sure the Soviets were by far the largest force holding back Hitler in Europe and Russia suffered greatly for it, but the US was by far the most technologically innovative in the mid-to-late stages of the war when it comes to the technologies that played a decisive role.

I long to see a democratic China that can really uphold Sun's Three Principles of the People, so I'd naturally be against any force in the world that supports or tries to appease the CCP. We're seeing media outlets across the world censor themselves due to the wishes of the CCP / because they're afraid of offending the CCP. I'm Han but I feel very sorry for the cultural genocide being conducted against Uyghurs and Tibetans (in the former it's not just the Muslim extremists, the CCP can find just about anyone or anything "unacceptable", and since mainland China has no rule of law and the Party is above everything, they are unstoppable if you get on the wrong side), not just them, but a subtle war is being waged against Cantonese language and culture.

Add to that forced demolitions, human organ harvesting, the soon-to-be widely implemented Social Credit System, how the CCP already possesses some of the world's most advanced technologies in the areas of surveillance and population control but mainlanders are either too brainwashed (and therefore support it), too apathetic, or too afraid to speak out and generate resistance, the Cultural Revolution (one of the worse things to happen to mankind), 1989, the current events in Hong Kong etc.

Mister / Mrs. President, I may not agree with everything your country says and does, but please do a favor for the world: GO TOUGH ON THE CCP! We cannot afford to wait and let the CCP become the most powerful in the world. If there's got to be a "world policeman" I'd rather have America than the CCP.

Some ultra-liberal types believe any regime, just about anything that opposes the US must be good and just. Classic "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" way of thinking. What they don't realize is the enemy of the enemy may very well be a far more dangerous enemy. A CCP (note, CCP, I do not conflate CCP with China or the Chinese people / culture, though that's what many of my fellow mainlanders believe due to decades of brainwashing) and Russian dominated world would be far more scary. Anyone who actually says they support these sick regimes, who believe they're willing to give up fundamental freedoms (even little, everyday things) for greater protection and security have obviously never lived under an authoritarian regime.

Before debating all of these social issues (which of course matter), I'd like to bring the focus to some of the broader issues we face in the world today. Not saying these social causes don't matter, but in the grand view of things we've got more important values to defend against the forces that want to undermine or even destroy these values in favor of their far less desirable values. We have to look and play big, and realize what's at stake. Once these bigger geopolitical issues are tackled, then we can slowly make progress in these social issues.

As a non-American / non-Westerner, I feel that these days the youth in America and other Western countries have lost sight of the things that really matter. Many living in Western countries have the time, and the freedom to debate over many of these social issues because as flawed as democracy might be, it's still the best compared to any of its less democratic alternatives and with refinement, is and will remain the best system that's realistically achievable when it comes to managing at least somewhat sizable populations. Many people from other countries (such as mine) have no freedom whatsoever to even bring up a somewhat different voice, much less CAMPAIGN and DEMAND these views and preferences to have a foothold in the country and society.

You're a bunch of lucky bastards (I don't mean to offend / insult, but to praise) compared to some of your peers living in non-Western countries, it would be wise for you to cherish these freedoms and realize that despite your differences that often make you argumentative, it's because of some basic democratic foundations that make it possible for you all to raise your voices and differences in the first place. You have separation of government and party, we don't. You have the separation of powers, we don't. You have an independent judiciary and legislative branch, we don't. You can vote at the national level, we can't. If you own a piece of property then it's yours unless you decide to sell it, we technically never "own" our property, we just lease it for 70 years because CCP said so and we have no guarantee as to what happens to it once the lease reaches the 70th year. And the CCP can just come in and take property whenever they want to support a real estate tycoon in the area, they won't hesitate to resort to thugs and blackmail if they deem necessary.

Wake up! Instead of engaging in SJW activities all the time, a piece of wisdom would be that despite all the injustices there might be in your society / societies, you have far more freedoms that some other countries' inhabitants can only dream of! There are causes on a global scale FAR more worthy of concern and reflection, once that's taken care of you there's going to be time to take care of these other concerns.

I often see that this group or that group are fighting against the injustices perpetrated against them in society, it's usually this or that particular group of people. I feel for some of them and not for others, but at the same time there are entire groups of people in other parts of the world who are fighting just to establish or to preserve their most basic rights and freedoms from oppressive governments and it's an ongoing fight for them. Do you think being a Christian under the CCP or the Kim regime is more or less the same experience as being a Christian in the States? So many of the freedoms the Western world (and non-Western countries that are democratic) believe and seemingly take for granted are out-of-reach luxuries for other peoples in the world.

You may care about issues affecting gender rights, animals, the environment etc. Sure, progress needs to be made in all of these areas and more. However, I'd urge more attention to be paid to a much larger struggle with an inconvenient truth: The struggle of freedom and democracy versus authoritarianism. That if given enough time and opportunity, these authoritarian regimes may well surpass us in power and influence. What kind of world would humanity ultimately want to live in? I'd pick a liberal democratic world order any day.

Just try living a life being effectively shut out from the world internet and having to gain access to a lot of information using a VPN, which is often unreliable and is constantly under attack.

Regardless of whether you're S or N, regardless of your Enneagram type or Socionics type or whatever, I think we can all agree that there are fundamental rights and freedoms that all should be defending.

·
Banned
5,408 Posts
If I have to choose between the two I'd still vote Trump over Biden because it's a fact that Biden's son has some direct business ties with the CCP, therefore making it more likely that Biden's going to be soft on the CCP. Trump has not been hard enough on the CCP as he's a businessman at heart, if I were him I would not give AF about the trade deal and do everything I can to counter the CCP militarily, politically, and economically. US is not an angel but it's the lesser of two monsters when compared to the CCP and if I had to choose which country to remain the superpower in the world I'd much prefer America over the CCP. The CCP has got no regard for fundamental political, civil, and social freedoms, not only is it a threat to my people but it actively seeks to export its system to the world, a system that stands against democracy and liberty.

If the monumental task of bringing down the CCP can be achieved, I believe we would have much more confidence bringing down other authoritarian regimes including Kim, Putin, Iran, Syria, Cuba, Laos, Turkey etc. I even hope that one day the Middle East will have its monarchies removed and replaced by electoral democracies but for now I know the US won't do anything because Turkey's a key ally and the Gulf states, well, oil.

I am not a fan of US foreign policy, but for a country of its power and influence, I believe the US has been a relatively idealistic regime (in terms of some principles) that, while having committed its fair share of atrocities, is still relatively benign when compared to other superpowers in world history. Had it not been for US involvement, the world could have turned out far worse at critical junctures such as World War 2. Like, would anyone really want to live under Nazi or imperial Japanese domination? Sure the Soviets were by far the largest force holding back Hitler in Europe and Russia suffered greatly for it, but the US was by far the most technologically innovative in the mid-to-late stages of the war when it comes to the technologies that played a decisive role.

I long to see a democratic China that can really uphold Sun's Three Principles of the People, so I'd naturally be against any force in the world that supports or tries to appease the CCP. We're seeing media outlets across the world censor themselves due to the wishes of the CCP / because they're afraid of offending the CCP. I'm Han but I feel very sorry for the cultural genocide being conducted against Uyghurs and Tibetans (in the former it's not just the Muslim extremists, the CCP can find just about anyone or anything "unacceptable", and since mainland China has no rule of law and the Party is above everything, they are unstoppable if you get on the wrong side), not just them, but a subtle war is being waged against Cantonese language and culture.

Add to that forced demolitions, human organ harvesting, the soon-to-be widely implemented Social Credit System, how the CCP already possesses some of the world's most advanced technologies in the areas of surveillance and population control but mainlanders are either too brainwashed (and therefore support it), too apathetic, or too afraid to speak out and generate resistance, the Cultural Revolution (one of the worse things to happen to mankind), 1989, the current events in Hong Kong etc.

Mister / Mrs. President, I may not agree with everything your country says and does, but please do a favor for the world: GO TOUGH ON THE CCP! We cannot afford to wait and let the CCP become the most powerful in the world. If there's got to be a "world policeman" I'd rather have America than the CCP.

Some ultra-liberal types believe any regime, just about anything that opposes the US must be good and just. Classic "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" way of thinking. What they don't realize is the enemy of the enemy may very well be a far more dangerous enemy. A CCP (note, CCP, I do not conflate CCP with China or the Chinese people / culture, though that's what many of my fellow mainlanders believe due to decades of brainwashing) and Russian dominated world would be far more scary. Anyone who actually says they support these sick regimes, who believe they're willing to give up fundamental freedoms (even little, everyday things) for greater protection and security have obviously never lived under an authoritarian regime.

Before debating all of these social issues (which of course matter), I'd like to bring the focus to some of the broader issues we face in the world today. Not saying these social causes don't matter, but in the grand view of things we've got more important values to defend against the forces that want to undermine or even destroy these values in favor of their far less desirable values. We have to look and play big, and realize what's at stake. Once these bigger geopolitical issues are tackled, then we can slowly make progress in these social issues.

As a non-American / non-Westerner, I feel that these days the youth in America and other Western countries have lost sight of the things that really matter. Many living in Western countries have the time, and the freedom to debate over many of these social issues because as flawed as democracy might be, it's still the best compared to any of its less democratic alternatives and with refinement, is and will remain the best system that's realistically achievable when it comes to managing at least somewhat sizable populations. Many people from other countries (such as mine) have no freedom whatsoever to even bring up a somewhat different voice, much less CAMPAIGN and DEMAND these views and preferences to have a foothold in the country and society.

You're a bunch of lucky bastards (I don't mean to offend / insult, but to praise) compared to some of your peers living in non-Western countries, it would be wise for you to cherish these freedoms and realize that despite your differences that often make you argumentative, it's because of some basic democratic foundations that make it possible for you all to raise your voices and differences in the first place. You have separation of government and party, we don't. You have the separation of powers, we don't. You have an independent judiciary and legislative branch, we don't. You can vote at the national level, we can't. If you own a piece of property then it's yours unless you decide to sell it, we technically never "own" our property, we just lease it for 70 years because CCP said so and we have no guarantee as to what happens to it once the lease reaches the 70th year. And the CCP can just come in and take property whenever they want to support a real estate tycoon in the area, they won't hesitate to resort to thugs and blackmail if they deem necessary.

Wake up! Instead of engaging in SJW activities all the time, a piece of wisdom would be that despite all the injustices there might be in your society / societies, you have far more freedoms that some other countries' inhabitants can only dream of! There are causes on a global scale FAR more worthy of concern and reflection, once that's taken care of you there's going to be time to take care of these other concerns.

I often see that this group or that group are fighting against the injustices perpetrated against them in society, it's usually this or that particular group of people. I feel for some of them and not for others, but at the same time there are entire groups of people in other parts of the world who are fighting just to establish or to preserve their most basic rights and freedoms from oppressive governments and it's an ongoing fight for them. Do you think being a Christian under the CCP or the Kim regime is more or less the same experience as being a Christian in the States? So many of the freedoms the Western world (and non-Western countries that are democratic) believe and seemingly take for granted are out-of-reach luxuries for other peoples in the world.

You may care about issues affecting gender rights, animals, the environment etc. Sure, progress needs to be made in all of these areas and more. However, I'd urge more attention to be paid to a much larger struggle with an inconvenient truth: The struggle of freedom and democracy versus authoritarianism. That if given enough time and opportunity, these authoritarian regimes may well surpass us in power and influence. What kind of world would humanity ultimately want to live in? I'd pick a liberal democratic world order any day.

Just try living a life being effectively shut out from the world internet and having to gain access to a lot of information using a VPN, which is often unreliable and is constantly under attack.

Regardless of whether you're S or N, regardless of your Enneagram type or Socionics type or whatever, I think we can all agree that there are fundamental rights and freedoms that all should be defending.
"You're a bunch of lucky baizuo!", you mean. Hehe. You nailed it dude, these people has no slightest clue that they are infact, very privileged.

Sent from my SO-03J sans PC

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I would vote for Trump.

The first reason that comes to mind is his energy policy. Trump understands that cheap, readily available energy and carbon are both vital conditions for a healthy economy. Anyone with even a basic understanding of chemistry will know that oxidizable carbon is essential for making steel, plastics, roads, tyres, pharmaceuticals, clothes and much more besides. Also, cheap energy, in the form of coal, allows these products to be produced at an internationally competitive price, meaning more jobs and greater prosperity. Bans on fracking and coal mining would wipe out some of the most productive sectors of the American economy and remove much of our economic leverage over other countries.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
@WraithOfNightmare Excellent summary of communism and what it's like. Also, you do make an excellent point regarding the West... I see these things the same way, although... there is a kernel of truth there, but it's blown out of proportion (I do see some things that are genuinely bad). I see that in the decades between the fall of communism in my country and now, they're still the same (of course, under a veil of capitalist entrepreneur respectability nowadays, but I assume they're still the same butchers). I also assume that a lot of economic miracles are made up (communists loved to invent numbers to show off imaginary achievements).

But I'm not sure I agree on the way you see Trump... From my point of view he's too friendly to people like Kim, Putin, Xi, etc. I see him as weak. Even weaker than Obama before him. He talks tough, but... does nothing effective. Also, he seems to be too chummy with people in my country who pretty much want to drag us back in the past, back towards dictatorship, to become once more a satellite state of Russia, with corruption running rampant. Also, he spreads lies about us, Europeans... I mean I have 2 cousins who went on multiple tours in Afghanistan to fight wars started by the US and Trump says about us that we're leeching off of them, that the EU and NATO exist to leech off of the US? Those are lies! And I can't support that!

My ideal would be someone... either Republican, but not Trump, or a Democrat with conservative views. Which brings me to Biden (he seems to fit the bill)... who just might be the only one worse than Trump in my eyes. This may seem a narrow concern, but he instigated a war against our brothers, the Serbs, in the 1990s. He was taking money from Albanians (supporting the UCK, a terrorist organisation in Kosovo) and encouraging the bombing of Serbia and the killing of Serb civilians. Why do I call Serbs brothers? We share our Orthodox faith with them and we never fought against each other... even when we were on opposite sides, we never attacked each other. During the 1990s, the UN had imposed an embargo on them and we were still doing business with them, ignoring the UN sanctions :) After Kosovo proclaimed its independence, we, along with Spain, Greece (also part of the Orthodox brotherhood) and Slovakia are the only EU countries not to recognise their independence. Kosovo is Serbia! And Serbia decides what to do with its territory. Our official position is: we will be the first to recognise Kosovo's independence after Serbia. This isn't a matter of hostility towards Albanians, but a matter of respecting the territorial integrity of a country. It's one of our few foreign policies that genuinely make me proud. And Biden was instigating war all along... so yes, I do hate him.

But I really want to thank you for sharing your experience and your views! This place definitely needs more voices like yours, that would present informative, first-hand experiences about political regimes that people in the West only experience on TV or in books and even then, they get a filtered selection of information. And hopefully your 1989 (the year of our revolution that brought down communism) will come sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Tires, foreigner.
Clearly the less someone knows, the more confident they are about being right. You are walking proof of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

"Tires" is a less acceptable spelling than "tyres" for two reasons. Firstly, the "ai" in the former is stressed and held for longer than in, say, "tired", whose "r" is silent. This creates an audible difference that needs to be recognized in the grammar if people are to avoid mistakes. In English, "y" is often used as a stand-in to make the stressed vs unstressed "ai" distinction clear. Another similar example would be "lyre" vs "liar". Secondly, the word "tires", as in "he tires of life" is a verb and it has a completely different meaning to "tyres".

·
chicken chaser
10,118 Posts
Clearly the less someone knows, the more confident they are about being right. You are walking proof of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

"Tires" is a less acceptable spelling than "tyres" for two reasons. Firstly, the "ai" in the former is stressed and held for longer than in, say, "tired", whose "r" is silent. This creates an audible difference that needs to be recognized in the grammar if people are to avoid mistakes. In English, "y" is often used as a stand-in to make the stressed vs unstressed "ai" distinction clear. Another similar example would be "lyre" vs "liar". Secondly, the word "tires", as in "he tires of life" is a verb and it has a completely different meaning to "tyres".
:rolleyes: blah blah piss in the wind.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I thought it would be good to inform that China isn't communist, it's an authoritarian capitalist state, like Russia, the USSR, Nazi germany, and many other authoritarian state of the modern era.

Communism and capitalism are two opposed economical systems, one allowing private property and the possibility to capitalize on it, the other forbiding private property. The public property is a mix of capitalism and communism, thus it isn't more communist than it is capitalist, in theory.

The second principle of communism is more political, it's that the means of productions belong to the workers. This is kind of a more detailed first principle as if this is realised, private property simply cannot exist. It's materialisation of the abolition of private property.

Public property can be seen as a private property unless the "workers", the citizen, have the means of the public institutions into their hands. A representative "democracy" is a delegation of the power of the citizen to a small number of representative, thus the second principle of communism if applied to a state, isn't respected. So the political system akin to communism is a more direct democracy, an actual democracy. Authoritarianism can't be, in theory, a system akin to communism as this require to trample the second principle. That doesn't exclude the possibility for a governement to not be communist and still brandish communism like China.

We have to understand that the people who established the USSR never respected the second principle, even for the firms, so even on an economical point of view, the USSR never have been a communist state. It's also very clear that the firms of China doesn't respect either the second principle.

In conclusion, it's false to see any of current presidential candidate of the entire world, US included, as willing to establish any form of communism as none, as of now, had ever been willing to establish, and if they have been, never realised it, even in the first steps. We have in front of our eyes a fight, with the political forces in the present, between capitalist-conservative authoritarian to representative republican (republic stand here for "res", a thing, and "publica", public, so a public thing), ultra-capitalist-liberal authoritarian to representative republican, to a social-liberal authoritarian to representative republican. The social-liberal, often called by the name of social-democrats, more often than not, more on the side of a representative republic, than the capitalist-conservative or the ultra-capitalist-liberal. I use the term republic as a representative democracy isn't a democracy but what the first republicans and liberals wanted, everything but a democracy. The representative system has been put in place only to appease a part of the democrats (I'm speaking from an european history point view, which have been imported and exported many times across the atlantic). Communist and more democratic political forces are simply not there, or only at the margin of some countries. That is, if we use the terms in a logical and clear manner, not distorted by the politicians and their interests, and all the rebranding they've done.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I don't see how Biden is a solution to anything.

If it was between him or Trump I would be compelled to vote for Trump.
Most of the things that I was afraid of or were frightening in Trump were disproven or don't matter anymore and Biden is just wasted time.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I don't see how Biden is a solution to anything.

Well, it depends on what you want. I was talking earlier today (it's evening here) to a friend of mine and she was sad because Sanders is almost decisively beaten (now Bloomberg has dropped out and is supporting Biden). And the thing is... Biden is a solution for people who have a good life, I don't mean outstanding prosperity, just a safe life with a reasonable income and who don't want the boat rocked. The thing is people like Trump or Sanders... they are revolutionaries... and revolutions mean death, blood, destruction, war, they mean innocent people lynched in the streets... chaos. How does this translate for the aforementioned people? It means their livelihood for which they worked all their life is about to be destroyed. Trump or Sanders are instability, they are danger.

Biden is the solution, because he is the familiar, they know him, he doesn't behave in random ways, with him they can trust that he won't start some random war because someone dissed him on Twitter, he is stable and predictable... which is good. And I can relate to this group. I was born in a working class family and now I'm doing well for the first time in my life. Destroying institutions like the EU or NATO would very likely mean I would have to return to poverty, maybe even be politically persecuted, as we would be forced by the Russian influence to return to corruption and dictatorship. How? Because people like Trump basically say: NATO is bad, we won't intervene in Europe, which tells Russia: invade, attack and enslave Europe. Do whatever you want with tens of millions of people! I have a good thing going... and someone like Trump, playing with the world based on his whims, is an existential threat to my well being. So I would just prefer stability and the old order. So Biden would be the solution of return to stability and safety.

101 - 120 of 170 Posts