Personality Cafe banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
~~Trying to figure out Hank~~~
Defiantly not an ISTP, ISTP's are generally stereotyped as looking jock like. Stern. Pretty serious, but jokes around at the expense of you. I was watching a video and they described it as "they'd pin you up against the wall, and stare you right in the eyes" and it'd be their way of joking around.

He could be a shy extrovert. It sounds like he's extroverted, he works with so many different people in so many different projects.

The title of ENTP (The Visionary) sounds like him... however compared to my ENTP friend he's not like her at all, "People with the ENTP personality type are often called devil’s advocates—and for good reason. Forming around 3% of the population, ENTPs absolutely love to argue and do not really care that much what the argument is about, as long as it is fun. "

His enneagram is 7? maybe 7w6
"Basic Fear: Of being deprived and in pain
Basic Desire: To be satisfied and content—to have their needs
fulfilled
Enneagram Seven with a Six-Wing: "The Entertainer""

So generally ExxP. My bet would be on ENxP

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I've been a long time Vlogbrother's fan (since I was thirteen, so around 2007) and have always been able to relate far more to Hank than John.

I think I can believe that John uses enough of the functions in a stereotypical INFP to call that a fair typing, butttt I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if he was actually an INFJ.

Hank, on the other hand, is totally an ENTP.

As others have mentioned he is always coming up with ideas, making plans, looking for possibilities and to the future to see how he can change the world. His idea of change and his acceptance of it is very similar to my own, which is basically, "Well, this is happening!"

He talks about this in the video below:

I also believe he is an extrovert, especially in comparison with his brother. From less rehearsed videos (whether cameos in other Youtuber's videos or from his personal channel) he is constantly trying to get people to laugh by making (sometimes inappropriate) jokes and likes to communicate by bouncing ideas off of his friends and the Katherine, his wife. I can understand why some might point to him being an introvert considering he spends a lot of time on his computer, tablet, phone, whatever, but then again who doesn't? His use of the internet is also very much about his novel and spontaneous version of communication, too.

I can't comprehend him being a sensor because I read immense amounts of Ne off of him in all of his videos. He's very stream of consciousness and seems to brainstorm often as I noted above. But perhaps! I'm sure there are sensors out there that can do that as well.

As for J and P... it's not really a question, is it? I think he's had to adapt some J-tendencies because of working in a very SJ-oriented world and being essentially self employed, but his preferred style seems to be that of perceiving. He would much rather go with the flow, leave things for later and see what happens. You can see this confliction especially when he is playing video games with his wife -- their gaming styles (and I would wager their styles at going about life in general) are different. While Katherine is very much a completist and into the small details Hank is far more interested in the actual story of the game or 'the big picture' and this can sometimes lead to contradictory gameplay.

Anyway, I'll leave you all with this parting gift:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hank has actually addressed mbti on his tumblr but he didn't reveal any specific type. I think he is ENTP. John has said he is an INFP.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It bugs me when people try to correct someone's type. By that I mean when the person has directly said what their type is. Take John for example -- on his Tumblr he stated he's an INFP. But then other people, even after knowing this, will still say "Nah, I don't see it -- he's actually a..." Just stop it, dudes. You don't get to decide what someone's personality is, especially when they know it themselves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
John says himself that he is an INFP, and that makes sense.
I think Hank is an ENTP (but possibly INTP), he shows a lot of Ne and his expressiveness would be tertiary Fe. ENTPs are very likely to have introverted tendencies despite being an extrovert. When they're not using Ne to debate or experience new things, an ENTP would observe and think in a way similar to someone who is primarily an introvert.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
It bugs me when people try to correct someone's type. By that I mean when the person has directly said what their type is. Take John for example -- on his Tumblr he stated he's an INFP. But then other people, even after knowing this, will still say "Nah, I don't see it -- he's actually a..." Just stop it, dudes. You don't get to decide what someone's personality is, especially when they know it themselves.
Sometimes people are wrong about their type, especially if they were typed by those worthless tests. I thought I was INFP when I first started MBTI, but I'm not. You have to actually observe someone's thinking style, and look for cognitive functions to get an accurate typing of them. For example, I believe Lykke Li when she claims INFJ, but I don't believe JK Rowling when she claims the same thing, because Li shows Ni, whereas Rowling does not. Your post reeks of Fi, therefore I would assume that your INFP typing is correct. I have no reason to question Green's typing, but skepticism itself is healthy, for without it we would accept anything without question, and learn nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't understand, how come no one sees Hank as an INFJ. I am too lazy to search for proofs, but just his facial features (the stare + strong mimics, wide smile - typical crazy infj look), the dropped shoulders, what he talks about (The Overwhelmingness of Caring too Much - one example)... 100% INFJ. INFJs are chameleons and I just can easily see through his extraverted public persona, where there is an INFJ hiding inside.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sometimes people are wrong about their type, especially if they were typed by those worthless tests. I thought I was INFP when I first started MBTI, but I'm not. You have to actually observe someone's thinking style, and look for cognitive functions to get an accurate typing of them. For example, I believe Lykke Li when she claims INFJ, but I don't believe JK Rowling when she claims the same thing, because Li shows Ni, whereas Rowling does not. Your post reeks of Fi, therefore I would assume that your INFP typing is correct. I have no reason to question Green's typing, but skepticism itself is healthy, for without it we would accept anything without question, and learn nothing.
I agree. Johns Ni-Fe is clear as day, I don't even have to listen to him for long to see that he's an INFJ.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Where do you see any Ni or Fe?
Dude I wrote that months ago, how do you expect me to remember? Since then I have at least changed in the way that I don't claim to know the type of someone without explaining why, which is an improvement. I cannot type John Green because I don't watch his videos, last time was when I made that post.

·
Registered
235 Posts
John Green is INFP

And Hank Green is ENTP, I believe he mentioned ENFP but I believe that was a mistype since he seems very NT along with his interest in science and so forth

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will preface this by saying I know that this thread was made forever ago. I’m geeking over it as a longtime nerdfighter that loves personality assessments

John and hank are both super obviously Ne users. I would also argue that their strong moral codes and dedications to what they believe in (decreasing world suck) are examples of fi. John can at times appear J like but I think this has much more to do with him having ocd and a lot less to do with his actual personality. I can definitely see why people think hank is a T type but I don’t think this is a mistype. Again, they’re both pretty clearly fi users, but also it’s super clear hank has tertiary Te (actually very developed te considering all the projects he pulls off). He is a problem solver and practically oriented in that problem solving. With John, it’s super clear he has Si in his function stack considering his almost SJ like love of routine and stability and intense nostalgia.

With enneagram, I think John is a very phobic 6. Probably an self preserving 6, no idea on his wing. Hank honestly kinda gives me 7 vibes and 3 vibes but of course I see the 5 as well & most prominently, probably a 6 wing(?). For tritype I think John is a 641 (his books have so much 4 energy). Hank is a 539 possibly maybe a 528? Definitely not sure but he has this ambitious but loving nerd energy that I think is present in both.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I will preface this by saying I know that this thread was made forever ago. I’m geeking over it as a longtime nerdfighter that loves personality assessments

John and hank are both super obviously Ne users. I would also argue that their strong moral codes and dedications to what they believe in (decreasing world suck) are examples of fi. John can at times appear J like but I think this has much more to do with him having ocd and a lot less to do with his actual personality. I can definitely see why people think hank is a T type but I don’t think this is a mistype. Again, they’re both pretty clearly fi users, but also it’s super clear hank has tertiary Te (actually very developed te considering all the projects he pulls off). He is a problem solver and practically oriented in that problem solving. With John, it’s super clear he has Si in his function stack considering his almost SJ like love of routine and stability and intense nostalgia.

With enneagram, I think John is a very phobic 6. Probably an self preserving 6, no idea on his wing. Hank honestly kinda gives me 7 vibes and 3 vibes but of course I see the 5 as well & most prominently, probably a 6 wing(?). For tritype I think John is a 641 (his books have so much 4 energy). Hank is a 539 possibly maybe a 528? Definitely not sure but he has this ambitious but loving nerd energy that I think is present in both.
I disagree, I don't see Te in Hank at all. He's a clear Ti user breaking every logical detail and being less aggressive in a Te way even if it would be low for ENFP. Hank Green being ENTP makes more sense to me and him breaking down logical details and his style of deductive reasoning, Ti. And I see Fe in him. Hank seems to care more for accuracy over efficiency, but thanks for opinion anyways, here's mine to counter it and explain my reasoning. Remember that Ti problem solves to, if not more than Te at times because its to the point and finds answers to solutions very quickly with its breaking down the things it observes and trying to find solutions and be accurate as possible, Ti is one of the information gathering functions hence why percievers have it mostly and take longer to get answers and solutions. Ti users can get things done as well too, we shouldn't stereotype. Those are some reasons I vote Hank Green ENTP.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts