Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone keep a journal? I started one last year during a period of extreme work-related stress and have since stopped journaling. Going back and reviewing my past entries infuriated me. I felt uncomfortable reading my thoughts on people and projects. It felt very narcissistic. I feel my energy would have been better used on other projects than trying to record my inner thoughts. I did not find the journaling at all therapeutic and actually felt it increased my anxiety and anger. What are others, especially dominant Ni, experience with journaling?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I call my art "thought journalism" Draw pictures write poetry... Or title photos that i've taken in such a way to record passing thoughts/ feelings... :p

I've got a nice collection of old journals from high school, and ... they are basically whiney crap. I like to think my art is at least interesting.

This is something that I drew when I was really really lonely :(
http://disownedself.deviantart.com/art/Desolation-Complete-399954908

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I call my art "thought journalism" Draw pictures write poetry... Or title photos that i've taken in such a way to record passing thoughts/ feelings... :p

I've got a nice collection of old journals from high school, and ... they are basically whiney crap. I like to think my art is at least interesting.

This is something that I drew when I was really really lonely :(
Desolation Complete by DisownedSelf on deviantART

I personally have no artistic talent, which you clearly possess, but I would like to find some kind of project to channel my anger and anxiety. Journaling just seemed to be self-indulgent and counterproductive. I could channel my anger and anxiety into more work, but that can also be counterproductive in the long run due to burn out. I will try some different things and see what works best to redirect my attention.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Does anyone keep a journal? I started one last year during a period of extreme work-related stress and have since stopped journaling. Going back and reviewing my past entries infuriated me. I felt uncomfortable reading my thoughts on people and projects. It felt very narcissistic. I feel my energy would have been better used on other projects than trying to record my inner thoughts. I did not find the journaling at all therapeutic and actually felt it increased my anxiety and anger. What are others, especially dominant Ni, experience with journaling?
Would you still have felt this anger and anxiety had you not reviewed your old entries?

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
I kept a journal off and on from age nine until a couple of years ago.

Only 25% or so is my feelings; the rest is records of what happened that day, goofy inside jokes that only I can understand, plans and diagrams for forts, treehouses, gardens, maps of trails, ideas for stories, live blogging the news/current events, etc.

It helped me work out things that had me confused. For dealing with stress, I find exercise works better.

Reactions: iceblock

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you still have felt this anger and anxiety had you not reviewed your old entries?
I would have felt it to a lesser extent, but thinking of the time wasted complaining to myself angered me. If the journaling had been a positive experience, I would not have been angered by using the time for journaling; however, I am angry any time I spend time on something that is not productive.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I would have felt it to a lesser extent, but thinking of the time wasted complaining to myself angered me. If the journaling had been a positive experience, I would not have been angered by using the time for journaling; however, I am angry any time I spend time on something that is not productive.
I used to keep a journal way back when, but I couldn't keep up with it anymore. It lost purpose for me after a while. I couldn't see myself doing anything more productive in it than usual, so I put it into The Closet Of No Return, and I'm pretty sure it's still in there.

I guess journaling is not for everyone, and that's ok. I'm sure you have other methods through which to relieve your stress.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
it did a lot for me a good number of years ago. i got into the habit of it and kept up that habit for years. internet and having email friends who i spend a lot of time writing to now has taken me away from it, but a few years ago i started 'making' myself keep up with it again.

it ain't literature, but it keeps me honest in a way that i've decided is good for me. it's a bit of a hedge against my tendency towards selective attention to things (aka mental air-brushing of my own life). if i set myself this rule that i 'have to' write for a while before i can go to sleep, then just to fill in the time, i often tend to come out with stuff i might otherwise have shoved to the back of some shelf in my mind and left to rot while i try to pretend it's not there.

in general, re-reading isn't worth very much and i don't tend to do it. journals to me are not written for the sake of posterity, they're written for 'now'. i do have most of mine in a cabinet somewhere, but i don't look back over them. the stuff they describe can be painful and complicated, and it's hard at times to look back on someone who was so neck-deep in troubles i still remember, but so different from who i am now that it's hard to relate.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I've kept a journal on and off since about 10th grade. I find it to be helpful when trying to sort out something internally. I use a directed free writing method where the journal entry tends to start with a question, series of related questions, or in some cases reflection on an event during the day, but usually a question. I think for me, writing allows for a mental/emotional release where I can write all the things that I think no one wants to hear or will understand, and it acts as a mental processing mechanism. It's sort of like what @lilysocks said about keeping her honest, but I think for me, it's more about be being able to be honest in the first place, if only with myself, about how I really think or feel about something, rather than the rationalized version of what I think I should think or feel that tends to get externalized. When things are going well, I don't journal; when things aren't going so well, I write a lot. Keeping a journal is not something that works for everyone, but for me it seems to work.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I have tried, I have tried, I have tried. Every now and again - while cleaning, I'll stumble on an old journal attempt, read for the few pages it lasted, and decide to start another. /facepalm

like @TrippedOnReality, mine usually begin when I need to sort something out in my life.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
@iceblock I understand how it can look narcissistic. The way I avoid that is to become selfless in active life. That helps. It is an outlook not easily obtained, but worth aiming for.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yep...I love me some journaling. I've not been keeping up with it so much lately, not because I don't want to, but because I have been trying to rebuild my house. Without help. Not conducive to writing down one's thoughts. When the day is over, I pretty much want to screw around online for an hour or two and then fall on my face. Nevertheless, yes, I adore journals. It's the one extended conversation I've had in my life that hasn't ended in a total s**tstorm. To that end, a good journal (I'm quite fond of the Moleskines...but I will gleefully take any leather journal that is simple and sexy) has no peer.

·
Banned
2,064 Posts
Relieving the same shit over and over again, yeah, I can see how that can be a good idea (NOT). I mean if I had things that I like in my past, I could see a point in keeping a journal, but since I don't, all my journal can be summed up in one phrase:
"For 33 years no-one gave a fuck, why did I?"

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
I did not find the journaling at all therapeutic and actually felt it increased my anxiety and anger.
i guess that's a point (i'm procrastinating on going to bed, so i'm back). i don't think of my own journal as just a place to write it down, then it's 'out'. it's more like a form of discipline, in the sense that it requires me to try and think about whatever i'm writing down, feelings-wise. 'i'm happy/sad/mad/whatever' isn't worth much even to me; it's irritating even during the session i'm writing it. journalling makes me try and explain myself to myself, and that makes me more honest and gets me past those really simplistic primary-colours descriptions of stuff.

i find myself writing down why. and the what, in a more minor-key, descriptive way. if i can't find any way of describing something except with a vent, then i'll vent to start with. but i'm looking for definitions, something that's going to mean something to me, not just a string of curse words. so if you pick an emotion, it might go something like 'i'm anxious because . . . and that makes me think . . . and so it feels like . . . '

<shrug> i dunno. it kind of exposes to me the actual mechanisms of how emotions influence my view of my world and my life, and vice-versa. it takes the lid off my machinery. for me it's useful, because left to myself i think i'd go around in a kind of soup of emotion, but the emotional life its own self would remain so abstract for me i wouldn't have any words or conscious access to most of it, and it would all happen on some separate layer from the one where i do most of my conscious living.

there was a stage in my life where writing all this kind of stuff down did provide me with regular revelations and thunderbolts, real realizations about how my internal self is wired up.

i never found that keeping a journal was any good at curing any of the feelings i had. but there were plenty of places where the emotions were actually symptoms of my perspective on life. and exploring the symptoms did lead me back to new insights about my perspective, and some of those . . . yeah. some of those could be cured :tongue:

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have one. I go through periods of daily journaling, then it falls off and starts up again when I have something personal that I really want to record. I would say that my day planner is a better example of my day-to-day activities, as I record everything I do/ things I have to do later in it, with doodles, song lyrics, and quotes intermittently included.

My consistency is based on how much time I have to simply sit and think, which hasn't been enough lately. It's a disaster.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I do journal and I do it every night. Is it therapeutic? Yes and no, but mostly no so I do agree with you. But what it does do is permit me to get my thoughts out, somewhere, rather than have them jockey for position in my head. I can see how it might build upon your anxiety, as I too had that issue. Overall though my journals are for me just nice, somewhat organized places to further develop thoughts and inquires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts