Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, interested to know what is your type and do you often quickly decide whether a person is "good" or "not good" (based on criteria personally believed to make a difference), and decide whether you would like them or not based on that? "Quickly" would mean the amount of time that has passed that you wouldn't personally believe to be enough time to really get to know a person well.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hmmm.... I don't judge people completely. My view of people is always changing depending on their actions and motives. People change constantly and so does my opinion of them.

Initially, I judge a person by the tone of their voice, initial confidence, body language and sometimes their intellect. And by intellect I don't mean how many fancy words they know, I mean their understanding of the world, things they like and whatever situations we happen to be in.

I don't judge people by 'good' and 'bad', more a scale of how much I like them and how open they are. If they're not very open or easy to read, I'm very good at pressing people to get what I want from them. It's not even something I do consciously, I just like to know other peoples' motivations and what interests them.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Hi, interested to know what is your type
Which typology? I'm an INTP.

and do you often quickly decide whether a person is "good" or "not good" (based on criteria personally believed to make a difference),
I don't have "good"/"not good" criteria because those categories are too vague and broad to be useful. I have "trustworthy," "interesting to me," "understanding," etc. categories. They pertain to individual traits, not the whole person (as good/not good seem to).

I can't apply them quickly because I have no immediate basis for judging. In fact, you could say that I never really apply some of them: rather than simply deciding that a person is uninteresting, for example, I may decide that the person doesn't supply enough personal information for me to decide, or that I'm too tired/jaded/etc. to bother getting to know her more. But the end result is the same: I act as if the person isn't interesting in the sense that I cease seeking or expecting to be interested in her.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a fast gut feel for people and get along with most people. I can find something about most people to like or a way to converse and connect with them. Yeah I know that is an ENFJ thing. On the rare occasions I have an instant intuitive/gut recoil from someone I listen to it and stay away from them. Aside from that, if people deliberately or repeatedly carelessly harm those I love I can decide I can don't like them as I can be really protective of my people.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. I myself (INFP) tend to decide rather quickly whether I like someone, am neutral about them, or dislike them using certain important principles. I don't care about superficial stuff like looks, nasty yet unimportant habits, etc. I care about stuff like gossiping, respect, manners and such. Things that tell about the "goodness" of their heart I suppose. However, people do change and my views might change too because of this.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I don't really judge people based on those terms. Good or bad feels too black and white for me. I'm more likely to judge someone as toxic or not toxic based on their current actions/personal issues and then I foresee where they are going based on how they are acting now. I don't believe anyone is all good or all bad anyway. People are many shades of gray. As for deciding things quickly --- not really...I don't think so anyway? My impressions are always subject to change but once I have a good grip for the person's behavioral patterns, I'll be more inclined to make a judgment. So how fast that happens is dependent on how much information about them I have to go on.

When I first meet someone though, I can't help but form immediate impressions (example: this person has a gentle spirit or this person is controlling etc. etc.) but I don't consider these judgments about their overall character...more like personalty traits. I'm sure there have been exceptions to this though. There have been a few times when certain words or actions make me feel literally sick to my stomach. If a person has less than honorable intentions that is another thing entirely I suppose.

I think a better way to describe my whole process is that I collect impressions and they add up over time based on actions and things the person says. All of the impressions build up to create one full picture of who the person is to me. Sort of like a puzzle.

I'm not sure if I made any sense at all and as for my type, I'm INFJ.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
INFP - Yes, I get a pretty quick sense of how comfortable I feel around a person. I think it is usually a rapid, subconscious read of their body language and tone. It seems like a body/instinctual thing. In general, I find that the people who I feel comfortable around are conscientious and engaging, while the people I don't feel comfortable around tend to be self-absorbed and pushy.

·
MOTM June 2015
4,384 Posts
Hi, interested to know what is your type
I've sort of given up on figuring out my type, but I'm probably either an ISTJ or an ISTP.

and do you often quickly decide whether a person is "good" or "not good" (based on criteria personally believed to make a difference), and decide whether you would like them or not based on that?
Unfortunately I don't decide much of anything quickly. Of course when I first meet someone there are some initial impressions, but I tend to argue myself out of most quickly drawn negative assumptions. I dislike when people make assumptions about me and I try to extend the benefit of the doubt to most. I try to keep my opinions fairly neutral until sufficient information is gained to make a fair assessment. Sometimes that takes a very long time and I tend to go back and forth on some.

Even when I encounter someone who holds an opinion that I find detestable or troublesome I sometimes get caught up in trying to determine how they got there rather than forming an absolute opinion about them. Even when I find myself totally disliking someone I almost immediately find myself questioning whether I am being just or compassionate. (that little voice in my head won't shut up)

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Hi, interested to know what is your type and do you often quickly decide whether a person is "good" or "not good" (based on criteria personally believed to make a difference), and decide whether you would like them or not based on that? "Quickly" would mean the amount of time that has passed that you wouldn't personally believe to be enough time to really get to know a person well.
It's a great question. I am enneatype 8 ENTP sx/so/ ..............................................................sp (1%)

So first of all NO ONE is EVER good or bad. That is labeling and labelling is mostly bad, e.g. people who label are not BEHAVING good.

Anytime you use the verb to be you should use the verb behaving when you are talking good and evil.

NO ONE is EVER good or bad. They only behave that way in certain instances.

It is the erroneous belief that people are good or bad which makes people judge others and judge themselves and judge themselves by the judgement of others. All of this is in error. You judge the behavior only.

Free will burdens us all with choice. Nothing about a person's past choices demands that current and future choices will be equally bad. We all know that the best predictor of the future is the past. This does not prevent growth and change. The religious example that is best known is Christ on the cross offering redemption and forgiveness to the other two sinners there with him. All they had to do was repent genuinely within themselves and they were forgiven. The truth is, that grace is given to all living beings. That grace is nothing more than the presence of free will. If you choose to behave in good ways, you will find happiness and salvation. If you choose not to behave in good ways, but instead in bad ways, you ARE NOT genuine with your redemption. That is perhaps the missing issue amid Christian doctrine. Most Christians think that merely asking forgiveness is enough. I contend it is not. The redemption must be genuine. If you do not choose to regret and ask forgiveness truly for your sins, if you do not commit to behaving wisely (goodly) in the future, then your redemption is hollow (for now). But you can ALWAYS choose genuine redemption at any point. Happiness lies beyond that choice only.

---

Now as to your title, Judgments, what is actually morally judged? The behavior as I indicated. And when we judge behavior we actually are judging the wisdom of the motivation used in the behavior. So all judgement is based on the target's motivation. This is precisely what is meant by deontological intent (Emanuel Kant). This is first order morality.

Since I am aware of moral duty, I cannot not like everyone. It is required to like everyone to be moral. But this does not mean that everyone's behaviors are good or bad. They are usually a mix of both.

EVERY SINGLE ACTION everyone does is part bad. We are not perfect. That is the result of imperfection. EVERYTHING we do is part bad. But being aware of this, and aware of the motivational map of humanity, the enneagram, I am usually able to determine a person's likely 'bad' motivations within a few moments of them expressing themselves. Further, a person's body is affected over time by their choices. This means people in some ways and often wear their morality. A person's type comes out in their facial expression and physical features, like how they hold their mouth, their shoulders, their level of obesity, and more. Granted there are conflations here. Some physiological issues come to bear that are not directly personality related. But by far, more than two standard deviations worth of the time (95%) you can tell a person's type by looking at a series of pictures of them if you know what you are doing, especially the face.

I do typing at parties and it is so much fun. The people are stunned. When you know the enneagram well you can make sweeping guesses about people's past and be very often spot on. It's scarier than voodoo because it's real.

But remember, the law of change. Judgement is to determine how something is ONLY currently. Judgement SHOULD NEVER deny the possibility of change.

·
Registered
ENTP 8w7 sx/so
965 Posts
I judge whether I like someone/will get along with someone, and whether they have attributes I value immediately (within 2-5 minutes). To be honest, upon knowing them for longer, I am almost never wrong about my initial judgement. It isn't that I am not open to new information (with theories and ideas I am always open to learning something new and modifying my thought process and opinion). I just - well, my gut feeling is spot on. I really liked the book Blink because it talked about some of these instinctual decisions.

I can often do it with pictures too.

ENTP

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Good= being respectful of others Not good=passive aggressive or disrespectful. Being super opinionated, everyones entitled to their opinion.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
If we're looking at pure morality in here and whether someone is good or evil, I will not judge that until I have a clear understanding of the actual motives or actions of the person. Appearance in the way they dress or groom themselves would also play a factor,although I wouldn't instantly assume that there 'that' and 'that' but rather speculate that they could have a few traits relating to their stigma.

Ok let's just say I saw two people in public. One would be the average steve looking guy, you know with the typical green shirt,jeans and a 'standard haircut'. The other person would those be a bikey gang member with an overgrown beard,tattoos all over his shoulder, clothes look really dirty. I would assume the normal looking person to be some 'decent' while I would potentially assume the bikey to be possibly 'dangerous'. Now of course my judgement would be skewed, however I wouldn't automatically confirm that the bikey would be a bad person, I have no absolute proof of that since I have no knowledge of his life or not. It could be a possibility that he's a good Samaritan and has donated to charity several and has supported others. The bikey could also possibly be some raging alcoholic who has physically assaulted a number of people. I would have absolute zero knowledge of this at all and cannot fully judge a person. In order for me to fully judge someone, I would need to know there backstory and their deeds and what the main ideal purpose of their deeds. While I'll never fully judge someone without lack of information and confirm 'so and so' is 'this and that', appearance will play a bit of a factor in where I can speculate someone will possibly have those traits.

And just for a clear up, when I mean a fully judging, I mean as in this person is certainly 'this'. When I assume, I mean as in this person could be potentially 'this' but I wouldn't say for sure.

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
I don't think I think in terms of good or bad usually analyzing people. It's very rare I think most people even are exceptionally great or 'bad'. Even there when I have thought of the people being really great or bad I tend to wonder the back story and account it for the instance rather than a permanent position.

·
Registered
ENTP 8w7 sx/so
965 Posts
I think you have to divorce stereotypes from sensibility about whether you perceive that person as instinctually good or bad or someone you would get along with. I get along with bikers, accountants, musicians, poets, lawyers, farmers, and even former/current criminals. I'm pretty open. In the same way, if I am judging someone immediately, I am as likely to have an immediately negative response to someone who is a professor or banker or electrician or messenger or dog trainer as anyone else. They can be in conventionally accepted or devalued careers, look straight-laced or unique - that is not what my senses respond to. I think this is partly because I like taking on personality traits like a chameleon and trying them out, and enjoy people and experiences from different walks of life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My inituition tells me wether people have good or bad intentions relatively fast. Thats my main judgement. Bad intentions, fuck off.

There are a lot of people I like somewhat but I dont really click with. Some I dislike somewhat, I feel that they are judegmental. But as long as they avoid me I dont care

To find out wether I am fond of people, can go slow or really fast. Sometimes the click is instantly, some people you need to get to learn beter to appreciate them.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

Hah.. this makes me think of... Innocent until proven guilty VS. Guilty until proven innocent.

I would be the first.. not that I can't go onto the next.. I think..

I think I am pretty tolerant and open to others.. there is usually a open mind.. or benefit of doudt.. But I know I also can pass judgement fast on some people.
.. But not as fast as i see some other people do it, and some are more rigid than others.. and some flip-flop all around.
Usually I like to say "Well look at it this way... and that point of view..".

INFJ.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts