Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking firearms have the potential to be pretty appealing to the INTP. I have a budding collection, myself. Is this the same for anyone else?

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
I don't own any. The closest I've had is a BB gun which are cool always. But, I really do love guns yes.

The desert eagle .50

And the Smith and Wesson 500.

^ The hand cannons! Two of my favourites amongst pump action shotguns. But there are many I like.

I used to go hunting with a friend back in the day with a .22 air rifle and I've had a go on a 410. Exhilarating. But I must say I'm more into the look of a gun than firing it. I think :tongue:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't have a collection, but I do find them fascinating in their mechanics. What they do on the other hand, I have no use for. Though I might get a permit if I go back to the States ...or to Australia. I've heard Kangaroos are tasty y'see and so if I... *tangent*

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't own any. The closest I've had is a BB gun which are cool always. But, I really do love guns yes.

The desert eagle .50

Ah yes, a thing of beauty 'tis. I think the Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum is my ideal "for fun" handgun.

^ Two of my favourites amongst pump action shotguns. But there are many I like.
If there were ever any doubt that you were an INTP, it is now gone. I do this all the time. :crazy:

I used to go hunting with a friend back in the day with a .22 air rifle and I've had a go on a 410. Exhilarating. But I must say I'm more into the look of a gun than firing it. I think :tongue:
Heheh, well, I like to take my rifles out every now and again, but ammo isn't really cheap. So yes, they mostly sit in the corner and look cool. But they're there, with some ammo reserves, should I ever need them.

Don't have a collection, but I do find them fascinating in their mechanics. What they do on the other hand, I have no use for. Though I might get a permit if I go back to the States ...or to Australia. I've heard Kangaroos are tasty y'see and so if I... *tangent*
Brilliant. If you find the mechanics fascinating, compare the mechanism of the Desert Eagle pictured above to that of most other automatic pistols. Also, I lol'd.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I grew up on a farm and learned gun safety at about 7 years old. I have owned a gun since then and it is the same gun. A .22 rifle. I own a 12 gauge also. I have not fired ether gun in 10 years or so, but I keep them from deteriorating.

I do not like handguns and never really have. I had a .22 pistol I used to hunt raccoons with when I was young, but I gave it to my father. I don't see the purpose. If you own a handgun your changes of dying by gunshot go up dramatically. This is not necessary because you will act the lone ranger when you see bad guys. Something like 55% of all suicides are by guns. I have read that there is only a 10% chance of survival with an attempted suicide by gun. You will know more people with guns, your spouse may carry a gun or know where yours is.

One of my friends in high school used to sleep with a gun under his pillow, thinking he was cool or something. We ate mushrooms one night at his house and he killed himself in the morning. It was weird, he was popular and many girls liked him. I had another friend Matt who I used to hang out with when I was younger. We both smoked weed and rode to work together. One day he was at a 'friend' of his house, and his friend couldn't find his drugs. He thought Matt stole them so he shot Matt in the leg with a 12 gauge. Now Matt doesn't do construction and walks with a cane.

There are too many dumb asses out there with hand guns for me to really like them. The former vice-president of the US was too stupid to understand gun safety, why should I think the mailman is any smarter? I do not fear these dumb asses, I avoid them buy living in a nice neighborhood and hanging out with good people. If I thought that I needed a gun for protection, I would move back to the county or a better neighborhood.

·
Registered
71 Posts
^You have some fantastic points as to why I'd probably dislike owning a gun. Granted, I still do fancy the idea of target practice. My uncle once got smashed and fired and illegally obtained [forgot the make] rifle off his balcony back in the 70s, so yeah...

As for Tarkin's quiz: Desert Eagle, a gas-operated loading system semi-automatic Pistol that, while strong and gives leeway to the use of much stronger cartridges than a standard semi-automatic, requires a much much stronger frame than my own to wield. And that sort of makes me sad despite having no intention of wielding or purchasing one. I once saw a chart detailing the gas reload, but I can't be bothered to look for it.

I mainly developed an interest in guns after finding a wiki that listed all the gun types used in various movies and games and their real names. I'm nothing brilliant, but I do like looking at the schematics and seeing what I can figure out. I really like the systems, all the little parts that I don't know the names of quite yet that move just to fire one shot.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,611 Posts
I do, actually.

I have no real knowledge of how they work and have never used one but I love the appeal.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Don't own any myself, the regs in my country are rather strict and pretty much require a trip to the range every two, three weeks just to keep the licence.
Besides, there is no real pressing reason to own one in my country. In fact I would most likely feel less safe, not more, with one in the house.

But I still do go to the indoors range occasionally. I have fired quite a few different guns. Among which are: Colt Python 357, Walther PPS, Sig P210, Zastava M76 sniper(german 7.92 JS mauser ammo), Steyr AUG semi auto, Karabiner 98k, even a shotgun w/slugs(buckshot is not available in my country) on occasion

·
Registered
659 Posts
i love guns. i go to the shooting range a few times a month during the summer.. i haven't shot any handguns, though. just a .22, 12 gauge and a mosin nagant. i don't know if i could go hunting unless i were to actually eat what i shot afterwards. for now i'll just stick to targets and watermelons..

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I like them in video games and I`d love to go to a shooting range some time because I think it would be great fun, especially if you do it with a couple of good friends. However, I don´t see the point in owning any weapons... it would be too troublesome because of the responsibility that comes with it and there´s also no reason for me to own a weapon for safety purposes because I am living in a relatively safe part of a relatively safe country.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I find guns highly fascinating on several levels. They are interesting mechanically, and aesthetically pleasing to my eye. But beyond that the idea of gun also is appealing from the power it signifies, the power to survive. And yes, I am talking literally here as survivalism is one of my many interests. I'd love to own a good AK variant, a compact .22 like the Marlin Papoose for survival purposes and or target practice(.22 ammo is cheap), and a Mosin Nagant for fun.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I do not currently own any guns. I have in the past and consider myself a decent shot. I would like to get my hands on one of these just to see what it's like to shoot a .500 handgun.

Reactions: The Phantom

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I find guns highly fascinating on several levels. They are interesting mechanically, and aesthetically pleasing to my eye. But beyond that the idea of gun also is appealing from the power it signifies, the power to survive. And yes, I am talking literally here as survivalism is one of my many interests. I'd love to own a good AK variant, a compact .22 like the Marlin Papoose for survival purposes and or target practice(.22 ammo is cheap), and a Mosin Nagant for fun.
Here we go. :crazy: This just about sums up why I like firearms. I suppose I'm a bit more paranoid than other INTPs (though paranoia really isn't the best way to describe it...). I want to be prepared in the case that I ever would need to defend myself or my family. Also, I live in a rural area, so I can pretty much take my 91/30 out back whenever I like, as long as I have the ammo. I suppose that would give me more incentive to own than if I lived in a city or something, where one must go to an indoor range to fire their weapons.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
I own 5 handguns now and go to the range every other month or so. I learned to appreciate firearms in the military and then learned to appreciate carrying them after having a large mammal stiff around my tent when out on a back packing adventure. When it's just you, your wife and Mr. Bear, it's kinda nice having a .357 around. The S&W 60-15 makes for a nice carry gun. I also have a S&W 317 which is the light weight .22 version with the same grip, trigger and sights. Makes range time a hell of a lot cheaper too. I've got an M9 and a PPK clone from Bersa too.

I should say, the .50 Desert Eagle is rubbish. Have you ever fired one? It weighs as much as a small rifle, you can barely fit your hands around the grip and it's rounds are expensive as hell. I can see no other practical use for this other than for the coolness as it is about as inefficient as they come.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I should say, the .50 Desert Eagle is rubbish. Have you ever fired one? It weighs as much as a small rifle, you can barely fit your hands around the grip and it's rounds are expensive as hell. I can see no other practical use for this other than for the coolness as it is about as inefficient as they come.
And the ammo is expensive. Ah well, I'm a big guy. Like really big. 6'2" 350 lbs. Mesomorph. I have huge hands. That's why I'm saying that it's ideal for me, though I realize that to you it just seems like wankery. :crazy: Oh yeah, and it can also do this:

·
Registered
749 Posts
I refuse to ever buy myself a gun because there are too many people I want to shoot and I fear that just one lapse in will power, and BAM! BLAMMO! KAPOWZA! (Jewish gun): that guy who glowered at me, the tailgater, and that guy riding his bike during rush hour in the middle of a busy road are all dead leaving me to have it out with the police. :confused:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts