Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to decide what job i should be going 100% into, though both have some cons to consider.

I am trying to decide between:

Fitness trainer : or : Maintenance mechanic

-----
Short history:

At 18, graduating from highschool my senior project was assistant teaching at a karate class, which was easy because thats what i was doing anyways . :wink: I said that after highschool i was probably going to go into fitness training.

Parents thought i should go into a physical therapy assisting program at the community college.

After a year of doing pre-reqs, i dont remember exactly how it went down but we thought it would be smarter for me to enroll in the Industrial Instrumenation program at the tech college because the pay would typically be very good , and we have a couple of large refineries in the area.

Went through this program, got a job right out of school at a window factory as a maintenance tech, worked there 2 years, got fired. My boss told me that he would be a good reference for me and said that my skills were OK.

I attempted to enlist in the army at this point, but i had alot of speeding tickets which prompted a psyche eval that i failed , so i couldnt go into the military...(which might have been a good thing, lots of people have gotten important bodyparts blown off by random explosives and stupid things over there.)

Moved back home with my parents.

Been working at a temp agency for a bit, doing low skilled labor. Two things that have become very apparent with this type of work:

1. Low skill temp labor is not going to help you go anywhere personally or financially. Its pretty much a dead end.

2. They insist on having you work stupid long hours and just run you into the ground because you are a worthless temp with no skills. If i spend all my waking hours doing sh1t work as a worthless temp it makes me ponder the meaning of life......:bored:

Recently i got myself a fitness training certification and thought i should probably do this for a job because its typically part of my everyday life as it is.
---------------------------------

So comparing the two occupations:

1.Maintenance mechanic
+I have 2 years of work experience and a 2 year degree in a related field.
- I got fired from this job, and sometimes it drove me nuts.

2.Fitness trainer
+Its part of my life already, and its something i spend most of my reading time on. I have 3 years of karate experience, and spent 2 solid years in USPSA competitive pistol shooting. I strive to be a prototypical athlete but enjoy solo sports the most.(maestro)

- I do not have a related degree in this field or any experience, my skills are unproven. I do not have a silver tongue or extremely excellent social skills required for this position.

Money is not a HUGE part of the choice. I am simply seeking something where you work reasonable hours and are getting paid at least $15/hrly.

Any replies would be nice.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well I have similar problem to yours regarding my future job. Two options, both with pros and cons, hard to decide.

It has to be your own choice you know, though I know how hard it is.
Personally, I'd choose fitness job, because 1. you can earn more, 2. you can make somewhat of a career, 3. work in fitness training seems more cool and fun job than working in factory.
If you really want it, then you can do it - the experience or whatever certificates you need can be obrained. If no, then just choose first option.

Btw you sure you aren't ISTP since you prefer more solo sports and ' do not have a silver tongue or extremely excellent social skills '?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3. work in fitness training seems more cool and fun job than working in factory.
I encountered a few people whose faces you could see just light the hell up when talking about different kinds of thread on a bolt ....or comparing a contact relay with a sold state relay for motor control.....

I didnt share the same enthusiasm. (YEAH WHATEVER BRO COOL BEANZ)

Btw you sure you aren't ISTP since you prefer more solo sports and ' do not have a silver tongue or extremely excellent social skills '?
All i know is im DEfinitely in the 'SP' category.

1. Im NOT good at dreaming/imagining/creating.
2. My goals and ideals are not entirely set in stone. Things change.
3. I havent met a single person that really bothered me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Okay, so I haven't really read your post in its entirety (sorry), but I'd say go for maintenance mechanic as a primary, and as time allows, you can do fitness training in any spare time (evenings, weekends, other days off). That's when a lot of people work out anyway, when they're off work... :shrug:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mechanical work can be really hard but also very rewarding. If you have a knack for it, and have experience, you may have more upward mobility than a fitness trainer. And like Mokek said, you could do the training on the side or visa versa.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tend to agree with you guys on maintenance being the smarter job to go after. I see more longevity with a career like that. Though i am knowledgable with exercise/nutrition stuff to an extent, i dont have a related degree, then the job just seems kind of ...deuchey(?) and ..superficial.

One thing that has irritated me with certain jobs is the aura of intrigue, mysticism and general smoke blowing people might employ to make it look like they are working (when in fact there is nothing to do) or to make them look more skilled/valuable than they actually are. I have personally never bought into it. If there is nothing to do, i am probably going to look idle. If a problem was simple, i explain how simple it was, and speak very plainly so as to spread knowledge and help "the team."

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think on one level the mechanic jobs could be smarter-maybe more secure, but if you are more passionate about fitness and it makes you happy go for it! Your passion will help to keep you happy in the long term. I've seen people destroyed stable careers that don't make them happy. Heartattacks, stroke, divorce, alcoholism, suicide.

I agree with the job market BS. You have to blow so much smoke about yourself that it's sickening. Its funny to, it almost seems like employers want you to say all this grandiose stuff about yourself.

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
Then just go for fitness trainer, if that fails or you grow tired you still have your mechanic education AND experience to rely on. Don't second-guess yourself, just do it already.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a couple interviews last week and one this week for maintenance tech positions. I didnt get a slam dunk on any of them. Its alot more encouraging compared to if i was getting no calls at all, but it makes me wonder what company would be willing to hire me.

Kind of funny but it seems like getting hired is kind of the same skill/trait as 'making friends' or 'picking up chicks.' Lol this is bad for me because i think i am more the type that likes to slowly prove to someone that i indeed have good skills rather than getting all up in thier face and stuff.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Go for fitness trainer and see what happens. You could always fall back on mechanic later, if need be. Or some new opportunity may arise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts