Personality Cafe banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
142 Posts
I highly recommend everyone here reading one of the books my doctor recommended to me called "The Ultramind Solution" by Dr Mark Hyman MD. It's really a great book and looks at things in a way that your doctor likely hasn't or wasn't taught about.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
This is more of a confession but its a result from my rather recent experiance with my anxiety.

Today was the first day of classes for the spring semester at my college, i just got out of my first class for the day. Right not i feel way better than i did in the middle of class less than a hour ago. I dont like this experiance and am not to sure how the reest of the week will goo. I need to schedual an appointment with my therapist and doc to talk about moving from lexapro to something else :unsure:.

This sucks, i hate anxiety.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Idealist Types

I have been recently diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. This is hard cause I also have ADHD. Do any of you have experience with anxiety, or even anxiety med? I don't know what to think I could really use some advice! Thank you
When the Idealism of the NF comes into conflict with reality (other types especially SJ), anxiety occurs. Keirsey has this down as the Divided Self of R D Laing.

Try to avoid the more violent types especially ESTJ who can be Bullies and these cause anxiety.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Never been diagnosed with anything, but I find avoidant personality disorder describes me pretty well.

I have no intention of taking any drugs. Even if they help me cope, that's not good enough. Certainly not when considering all the risks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm on Lexapro for anxiety. Its a good med, as long as you don't miss it. (Very unforgiving :S)

So yes, I do have anxiety disorder, I suppose. As a child, I also was diagnosed with ADHD. Hmm... *resolves to watch the thread closely*

As for dealing with it, just take it day by day. Find something that calms you, and take advantage of it when you feel like you're getting anxious. A big thing that helped me at first was showers. I'd take two a day, every day. Usually I played music, and almost always had either a candle or incense burning. Yes, this is an extremely Si thing.

If you ever want to talk, I'm sure we all would listen. ^^

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I'm on Lexapro for anxiety. Its a good med, as long as you don't miss it. (Very unforgiving :S)

^^
I am on the same thing for the same reason and i feel as if it really isn't helping me that much. It made a difference for me but i would like to attribute that to the semester break more than the lexapro. I take 20mg daily and I am almost done with week 6. I feel more paranoid and more overwhelmed now when i attend classes that are crowded.:unsure:

·
Banned
466 Posts
I had/have Social Anxiety Disorder, I'd say at it's highest point it was quite debilitating. I stopped working (just part time by the way) due to being too nervous around my co-workers for about 2 months. I had no friends, and had figured I'd be alone for life, figured every single person in the world could notice how much of a loser I was and tried to hide away from everyone. My big work meltdown came about a year ago and since then I've gone on antidepressants, been through alot of one on one therapy and some group therapy, and most importantly had alot of time away from social structures which really drained me and clouded my view of myself making me feel very negative towards myself and others.

Now I feel much better about life,started college after avoiding it for the first 2 years after highschool. I have a couple friends, have been dating and feel more at peace with others. I've had several anxiety attacks in my life, but not since over a year ago. The anti-depressants initially negated the self hatred I had, and provided consistent impartial thoughts which helped me gain a better perception of myself and those around me. I now realize the bad things I experience in life aren't all my fault, and neither are they completely others fault. Also I don't see fault as such a negative thing anymore, and that I bring an interesting perspective with plenty of good qualities that I once hadn't realized.

Ramble over, hope you realize anxiety disorders aren't that bad. It just shows you are perceiving things on a much higher level and unfortunately are being overly conscious of the negative possibilities in life.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have panic attacks, too, but it's usually either in social situations (I'm an introvert, I should know better) or when I'm overwhelmed with life and everyone's expectations of me. Raised by an ESTJ, married to an ISTJ, and not doing the things "everyone is supposed to do." There's a place I go in my memory to calm me - it's even better when I have my music. I find Celtic music to be particularly healing. Anyway, I will pull my shopping cart to the side of the aisle or find a corner out of the way and lean against the wall (or whatever), and I will close my eyes, and remember a particularly healing event where my special one held me for a long time and told me how wonderful I was, and shared her healing energy with me. Sometimes I imagine myself as an elf dancing in a forest - whatever memory or daydream heals me.

I was diagnosed with moderate depression as a teenager, and anxiety disorder as an adult, but meds never, ever helped. And they had me on some really high doses. Nath is right about nutrition. Nutrition, exercise, and finding out and understanding that I am INFP - especially the introvert part - have really helped me.

Just my experiences. Maybe they can help you?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am on the same thing for the same reason and i feel as if it really isn't helping me that much. It made a difference for me but i would like to attribute that to the semester break more than the lexapro. I take 20mg daily and I am almost done with week 6. I feel more paranoid and more overwhelmed now when i attend classes that are crowded.:unsure:
Oh, another downside. It took me over 2 months to get the full effects regularly... Darn pill takes FOREVER.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts