Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If that title annoyed you, then you and I may just get along :)

Words that lose their meanings due to colloquial uses, and idioms and cliches that have outlived their expiry dates really get to me. Sometimes I use them myself, sometimes there's no way around them. I mean, how can you explain yourself if you can't use the syntax of the person you're speaking to, so that they can understand you?

And 'synonyms' that have separate connotations...?
For example:
tiff, argument, bickering, discussion, disagreement, squabble....
They all mean the same thing, right? They probably do... in some universe, but they denote varying levels of gravity concerning the situation. I mean, if someone were to tell me that he/she just had a 'tiff' with a friend, I'd blow it off as something that won't matter in the next minute or two. But if they said they 'argued' with their friend, I might be concerned on some level.

So, if you're wondering, the title would have been: "Do You Prefer Specified Speech?" or something along those lines if I wasn't too lazy to actually think of something catchy that said exactly what I was trying to say in this post.

Am I just ranting to myself or does someone else get like this about the words they use?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That's right, I feel the same way.

Also, with the recent influx of rage comics, people seem to have lost the ability to communicate without saying "TROLL" every 10 minutes on social networking websites. Same can be applied to emoticons, and shit.

I want to come up with a phrase just like your title but I can't think of anything witty. Feh.

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
My boyfriend and I are both INTPs. We are both in careers or career paths that involve lots and lots of writing. If we end up in an argument it ends up devolving into a "spat" about the other person using such-and-such word or phrase incorrectly. Unfortunately (or maybe it's actually fortunate), half of the time we forget what we were arguing about in the first place.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Aren't all Ti users anal about their word choices?

Personally, it depend on my mood. I'm very precise when expressing myself if I'm serious and interested about something, otherwise I'm extremely vague and inaccurate and way too lazy to care.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My boyfriend and I are both INTPs. We are both in careers or career paths that involve lots and lots of writing. If we end up in an argument it ends up devolving into a "spat" about the other person using such-and-such word or phrase incorrectly. Unfortunately (or maybe it's actually fortunate), half of the time we forget what we were arguing about in the first place.
SPAT!! There are so many words used to refer to 'heated discourse' ... I don't even know them all, but I definitely missed that one!

I'm like that when I argue too... I like details, and I get so frustrated when someone uses a word that doesn't mean what they think it does, or doesn't fit in with their intended purpose -- and they get offended/upset when I try to explain that what they're saying can be said differently, more precisely. *shrug*

If those arguments were discussions I bet they'd be fun...

Wait...
Why am I romanticizing that....?

Reactions: koalaroo

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
If two people are trying to converse with each other efficiently than the language employed should be as specific and recognizable as possible, though I'm not one for efficiency so I could care less.

When it comes to mediums such as literature all is fair game. Personally I like highly subjective language when reading fiction.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Everyone is thinking it, I'm just saying it.

*Tried it once, not for me*...
I was totally about to post something similer until I realized I had been beaten to it. Gah.

As for me, as long as the actual point gets across, I don't really worry much about it. If the word has dual meanings, I imagine the new meaning and may chuckle depending on what it is.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I was totally about to post something similer until I realized I had been beaten to it. Gah.

As for me, as long as the actual point gets across, I don't really worry much about it. If the word has dual meanings, I imagine the new meaning and may chuckle depending on what it is.

I was actually a bit surprised to see that no one had yet. And "anal" is always funny, no matter the context.

·
Banned
395 Posts
It depends on who I'm speaking with. As long as they can make a coherent sentence, I usually don't care. Provided...they aren't attempting to use a bunch of 'big' words simply to sound smart, and/or not even knowing the context definition of the word.
But, even then it's only slightly annoying.
Somewhere in my school years, I forced myself to dumb down my speech in an attempt to fit in. It had lasting effects and even now I use a lot of slang and use phrases that I know are grammatically incorrect.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Hopefully, that's because makeup sex can have that effect... as well as causing a pleasant affect.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
It depends on who I'm speaking with. As long as they can make a coherent sentence, I usually don't care. Provided...they aren't attempting to use a bunch of 'big' words simply to sound smart, and/or not even knowing the context definition of the word.
But, even then it's only slightly annoying.
I have to grade freshman philosophy papers. I'm sure there's a quicker way to get on my bad side, but if so, I don't know what it is right at the moment. <twitch>

Somewhere in my school years, I forced myself to dumb down my speech in an attempt to fit in. It had lasting effects and even now I use a lot of slang and use phrases that I know are grammatically incorrect.
I love it how when I get tired, my vocabulary expands. I guess it's kinda like the reason in Fruits Basket why Cat-boy doesn't try to fight Rat-boy first thing in the morning. (Sorry, forgot their names.)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Language is something that I have always appreciated. There are many ways to communicate though and by using different gestures and tones in your voice you can change the meaning of what you're saying. So I consider language to be an art meant for entertainment and though I appreciate precision in grammar it is still possible to convey a very intriguing sentence without it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm anal about everything. Everything must be done properly. I'm sure it drives everyone nuts, however according to my Give-A-Fuck-O-Meter, none have been given:

·
Banned
34 Posts
I AM "OBSESSIVELY ORDERLY" WITH "THINGS" THAT I CARE, OR "THINGS" THAT I THINK IT IS "NECESSARY" TO "OBSESSIVELY ORDER".

I CARE FOR SOME "THINGS" BECAUSE I THINK THAT ARE "NECESSARY", I THINK THAT SOME "THINGS" ARE "NECESSARY" BECAUSE I CARE FOR THEM.

I NEGLECT "THINGS" THAT I THINK THAT ARE "IRRELEVANT".

I COULD LIVE IN MY OWN ISOLATED SPACE, HAVING EVERYTHING THAT I NEED & WANT, AND NOT "CARE" FOR THE WORLD BEYOND.

EVERYTHING IN MY SPACE WOULD BE ORGANIZED EXACTLY AS I WANT IT TO BE ORGANIZED.

I AM NOT "OBSESSIVELY ORDERLY" WITH "THINGS" THAT I THINK THAT ARE "IRRELEVANT".

:dry:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I like the wide variety of descriptive words that are at my disposal, it makes life a lot more interesting. It bothers me a little when people use words in ways that conflict with my personal definitions (even when my definitions are factually incorrect lol) but not enough for me to want to rant about it or anything.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The word democracy is overused and misused by todays so called democracies. Just because you can vote in the dictator once every forth year in an election based on unlimited lies with no obligations of fulfilment whatsoever, in political oligopoly, does not mean we are a democracy that have no need for further improvement - it means we are less undemocratic than dictatorships, nothing more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts