Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know i was wondering why posts in these forum sounds so bitter and honestly i got an impression people who were typed as infp are just depressed and withdrawn due to trauma and cope by using fantasy. I realised when composing a reply to the what were you like as a child that i never actually had an inner world. I prefer to play outside, then i remember that in mid school i couldnt adapt bc i was considered ugly and quiet and my best friend got friends and kinda left me for her new friends and ive been withdrawn ever since it manifested as a personality.... i know i need a therapy probably but i really dont know i feel like majority of people who typed as infp isnt actyally an infp? I feel like i failed at life... and it forced me to act and feel as an infp....

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Well, I've been up and down and I still love to do things outside, regardless I enjoy my inner worlds? Depression may be more common in types like ours. Likely mainly because we don't often value the same as most other types. Also, we may focus inwards more, and express our dissatisfaction. We do not deny our feelings and often don't just try to make ourselves as busy as can be to avoid them.

Many think I am, or easily could be, successful. Yet, their definition of success usually revolves around money and things, and mine is different. Not that material things are bad, just far from my main priority once a certain point is reached.

Of course in my self assessment I am doing alright. I'm not a failure by any means, but probably . . . an underachiever. Partly because I went down the usual materialistic road early on and have responsibilities and partly because I need to step up my game on what I really want in life as the opportunities are there. But, I have a lot in my life that I love, so it's hard to think I'm failing. But I have a few days now and them I'm so unsatisfied and restless you would think my life was horrible.

I think you are dancing around the whole "chicken or egg" thing. But regardless, we are all accountable for our own decisions, and we can all do things to improve our situations, our attitudes. That's what's in our control.

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629 sp/sx
2,570 Posts
Those that type as INFP will also self-describe as moody, sad, and depressed as compared to the general population of test takers.

If you stick around long enough and employ your Powers of Observation! (just your regular skill will do) you'll be able to pick out who is and who isn't an INFP and how each one doesn't relate to the norm of what an INFP is. You won't find too many mistyped INFPs among the regulars. There are only a couple ISFPs and one INFJ.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Dunno if that is more insulting to "actual" INFPs or the people who just type as INFPs, but you might be onto something there.

·
Registered
INFP
2,376 Posts
There are healthy INFPs and unhealthy ones.
The healthy ones are not suffering from depression or exhibiting bipolar tendencies.

The ones with the most troubled minds post frequently and usually talk about themselves far too much. They seem to be looking for free therapy.

The healthy ones don't post nearly as often and they have the ability to focus outside of themselves.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i feel like majority of people who typed as infp isnt actyally an infp?
Type is difficult to figure out accurately online solely through text even with mighty powers of observation, all it is is guessing. You'd have much better luck figuring people out when you spend a lot of time with them in person, and even then you might interpret things falsely. So, the rule is not to trust everything you see online, and not to start believing you know something for certain.

The ones with the most troubled minds post frequently and usually talk about themselves far too much. They seem to be looking for free therapy.

The healthy ones don't post nearly as often and they have the ability to focus outside of themselves.
It's not really such an uncommon thing to find in a forum dedicated to first discovering yourself and then others.

·
Registered
338 Posts

Raminan88 said:
i was wondering why posts in these forum sounds so bitter and honestly i got an impression people who were typed as infp are just depressed and withdrawn due to trauma and cope by using fantasy
Is (I) + (N) + (F) + (P) + (IN) + (IF) + (IP) + (NF) + (NP) + (FP) +(INF) + (INP) + (IFP) + (NFP) +(INFP) a recipe for Happy-Go-Lucky?

“A person who is incredibly optimistic and high on life. They are usually peppy and make the best out of every situation. They’re fun to be around and can brighten anyone’s day. Wouldn't we all want to be as Happy-Go-Lucky as her?” (Urban Dictionary) Lucky people meet their perfect partners, achieve their lifelong ambitions, find fulfilling careers, and live happy and meaningful lives. Their success is not due to their working especially hard, being amazingly talented, or being exceptionally intelligent. Instead, they appear to have an uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time and enjoy more than their fair share of lucky breaks.” (Richard Wiseman)

The MBTI Manual (1998, p. 96) answers this question in the following way:

Table 4.39 summarizes relevant research results for INFPs. Several of the research results reported for ISFPs appear for the companion dominant introverted Feeling types, the INFPs. Males are overrepresented in several substance abuse studies. INFPs in general tend to be low in assertiveness and positive affectivity, while being the highest type on the negative affectivity scale. They appear infrequently as working MBA students and as owners of small businesses, have an easygoing leadership style like the ISFPs, and tend to avoid conflict when presented with it.

A number of dissimilarities to ISFPs are also evident in comparing Tables 4.39 and 4.38. Though ISFP males were not very high or low on the “Soundness” and “Efficacy” (they were fourth lowest on "Efficacy") adaptation measures, INFP males were the lowest on both of these measures. INFP males also showed the highest levels of depression and high levels of anger and frustration with chronic pain, although they were underrepresented as chronic pain patients. They also were second lowest in reporting having heart disease or hypertension, perhaps suggesting some selectivity of this type in their stress-related responses. As a type typically seen as serious, contemplative, and with high ideals, it is not surprising that they are the most likely to report suicidal thoughts in college. In contrast to ISFP college students, and no doubt related to their auxiliary Intuition preference, INFPs' use of leisure time is overrepresented in activities such as writing, appreciating art, reading, and listening to music. INFP career interests and values are also different from those of ISFPs. Creativity is the most important feature of an ideal job, and they are among the three highest in wanting independence and achievement in their work, as well as autonomy. These career characteristics may not be readily available to them, in that they, like INTPs, report the most dissatisfaction with most aspects of their jobs and report the intention of leaving these jobs.

INFPs are higher on the CPI scales Achievement via Independence and Flexibility, and like the ISFPs they are higher on Femininity/Masculinity and lower on Dominance, Sociability, Social Presence, Self-Acceptance, Weil-Being, Good Impression, and Achievement via Conformity. Unlike the ISFPs, they are also lower on Socialization, Self-Control, and Communality and are not lower on Intellectual Efficiency, Psychological-Mindedness, Independence, and Empathy.

Mara: The 4 INFP (Fi-Ne-Si-Te) Mistypes

Any Depressed Type

Did I say 4 mistypes? Well, I guess that was kind of a lie. While there are 4 specific personality types that commonly mistype as INFPs, there’s actually one other issue that can cause just about any other type to mistype as one. Namely, INFPs are often prone to bouts of melancholy, which gets conflated with depression. I don’t want to dive deeply into why here… Suffice it to say that INFPs tend to have high, idealistic standards for themselves and others, which can lead to frequent disappoint. Furthermore, INFPs typically process their feelings by deeply introspecting on them, which can lead to them being somewhat melancholic, at least at times.

Now, let’s think about someone who is depressed. What does depression often lead people to do? Well, many retreat inside their minds, go into isolation (hyper-introversion), get far more emotional than they would otherwise be, stop caring about their surroundings or their physical state, etc. Someone taking a personality test in this frame of mind could easily score as an Introverted, iNtuitive, Feeling, Perceiver. They’d then check out the INFP descriptions and easily find ways to relate to it. You see what I’m saying? That’s why it’s incredibly important to take into account your current mental state when trying to type yourself. If this is not a healthy state for you, think back to a time when you were healthy and consider the personality implications for that period in your life.

4 Types That Mistype As The INFP

Beck Depression Inventory (BDI): “The Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) is widely used to screen for depression and to measure behavioral manifestations and severity of depression. The BDI can be used for ages 13 to 80. The inventory contains 21 self-report items which individuals complete using multiple choice response formats. The BDI takes approximately 10 minutes to complete. Validity and reliability of the BDI has been tested across populations, worldwide.” Depression Assessment Instruments

https://www.ismanet.org/doctoryourspirit/pdfs/Beck-Depression-Inventory-BDI.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts