Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think in other Gen subforums there was discussion to how specific things were in defining each generation and it seems pretty lax with people drawing the line at different points.
Gotcha, yeah if I remember correctly, I read somewhere that some people believe anything after like 1990 is generation z.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Gotcha, yeah if I remember correctly, I read somewhere that some people believe anything after like 1990 is generation z.
I think they just want to conveniently cut it off at the decade boundary, but there's no real reason to do so. To them being born in the 80s and being a Millennial are the same thing, which is pretty ridiculous. A generation should last longer than just 10 years.

I would say Gen Y/Millennials would include anyone born from roughly 1982 to 1997, though you could argue for an "earlier" Y going from 1977-1994 like this site defines it and I wouldn't protest too much. Being a "Gen Z" to me would mean you're young enough that you might have had a smartphone and a Facebook/Myspace account when you were 9 years old and I'd say if you were born before 1996 you're safely outside of that category.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That's a border year. You get to choose. At that point, if your bday is more than half the year then go 1995 etc.
Early 1994. I also remember having to run up to the TV to change channels, I think we only had three. I was also about ten when our household got our first computer, I feel like I belong here! Oh, and those phones you had to spin, those were fun...

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Early 1994. I also remember having to run up to the TV to change channels, I think we only had three. I was also about ten when our household got our first computer, I feel like I belong here! Oh, and those phones you had to spin, those were fun...

Yeah, it's kind of silly, seeing as most of the changes were really implemented around 2004ish. You're always welcome in the Gen Y forum. We're almost as liberal as Gen Z...almost :tongue:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'm 1993 and in no case do I ever consider myself generation z. I can actually remember not being as reliant as technology when I was little as gen z kids are. One of my sisters was born in 1994 and I know she can even remember

If you can remember what a 56k sounds like
Many really annoying as hell memories...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I actually have a brother born in 2004, and it's almost scary seeing how obsessed he is with the iPad. I was obsessed with books at that age, not sure if it's equivalent.
Oh my gosh, me too. I'm a young Gen Y (1991), and my brother was born in 2003. He seems to expect that his first phone will be an iPhone.
My response is always:
"Child........ Mobile phone Electronic device Gadget Communication Device Technology
"

That was the first cell model I ever saw. xD It was my parents' cell phone, but when my sister and I would go walk someplace we got to take it with.
Trying to tell him that you don't need a cell phone until you're 16 is also a hard discussion. He's always trying to convince people my age that his iPod is actually a phone, and he's obsessed with making calls on it with the new facebook app thing when he's in a WiFi zone.

He has his own XBox 360, Playstation 2, Wii, DSIXL, 3DS, Computer and an iPod, and I just marvel at that. It definitely makes me feel old to know that when I was his age we had two shared computers (and only because my parents were Computer Techs!), a family NES, a Playstation, a GameBoy Color and a CD player. LOL

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh my gosh, me too. I'm a young Gen Y (1991), and my brother was born in 2003. He seems to expect that his first phone will be an iPhone.
My response is always:
"Child........ View attachment 79488 "

That was the first cell model I ever saw. xD It was my parents' cell phone, but when my sister and I would go walk someplace we got to take it with.
Trying to tell him that you don't need a cell phone until you're 16 is also a hard discussion. He's always trying to convince people my age that his iPod is actually a phone, and he's obsessed with making calls on it with the new facebook app thing when he's in a WiFi zone.

He has his own XBox 360, Playstation 2, Wii, DSIXL, 3DS, Computer and an iPod, and I just marvel at that. It definitely makes me feel old to know that when I was his age we had two shared computers (and only because my parents were Computer Techs!), a family NES, a Playstation, a GameBoy Color and a CD player. LOL
Oh man, I seriously loled about the iPod phone thing.
It's scary how quickly little kids are learning how to use technology. One of my good friends has two baby cousins, one was just born in July so she doesn't count but the other will be two in November and she already knows how to use an iPad. It's crazy.

Makes me miss the old days and that phone you posted, oh man I remember playing Snake on that thing.

I think I still have it some where...

Also speaking on cell phones, my first cell phone was

but in white. Didn't even have a camera. XD

edit:
WAIT I found it

http://www.wirefly.com/product/t-mobile/samsung/x495

·
Registered
816 Posts
These long generations are weird. I'm 27 and already feel very little connection with 18-year-olds. If I was a few years older, I could be their mother. They're going to have to come up soon with a new generation after Z for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These long generations are weird. I'm 27 and already feel very little connection with 18-year-olds. If I was a few years older, I could be their mother. They're going to have to come up soon with a new generation after Z for the same reason.
I agree, but for some reason I feel like I was born about 10 years too late. I have always felt this way. I'm weird though so ignore me.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
If you were a few years older, you would almost be eligible for the words "teen pregnancy".. If those few years are only 3, you would be 12.

Oh, as far as generational naming goes, we could always dub the generation after "Z", Generation Alpha, and then progress through the Greek alphabet. Why? Because that's what they do with hurricanes, if there are so many hurricanes we run out of letters.

P.S. PerC, I was GenY a couple months ago, I was born in January of 1994. Why have you changed?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts