Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The point of this game is to test your tolerance, and creativity, towards certain topics. In -all- cases I want you to give an explanation as to when that behavior may be 'acceptable,' in your eyes, under certain circumstances. If you are strongggggly morally opposed, then tough luck, :p, but rely more-so on your creativity to help you Justify It! (aliens!? possession!? -- we'll get the hint).

When is it okay...

(Copy and paste into your response for easier reading)

HTML:
[B]1. to hunt animals?[/B]

[B]2. to rob a bank?[/B]

[B]3. to have sex with someone you do not have romantic feelings for?[/B]

[B]4. for a nation to declare war on another[/B]?

[B]5. to kill your spouse?[/B]

[B]6. to kidnap somebody?[/B]

[B]7. to spank your child?[/B]

[B]8. to lie in court while on the witness stand?[/B]

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
1. to hunt animals? When there isn't a less murderous way of "testing" myself, or the need to test myself becomes greater than the need to avoid seeing poor pain in the innocent creatures eyes.2. to rob a bank? If we were about to have a civil war, and I was on the wrong side.3. to have sex with someone you do not have romantic feelings for? This has happened before.4. for a nation to declare war on another? Being human is not justifiable, but here we are.5. to kill your spouse? This extends our version of reality IMO.6. to kidnap somebody? To prevent something worse. I put it around the same as robbing a bank (without injury).7. to spank your child? When I fail to raise the kid without spanking. Yes punishment scars the child, however, we can't grow simply mentally healthy children, we also have to grow children that will be able to function in this society, or else something worse than spanking will happen, and they will either be dead, in jail, or even worse off than with the spanking. 8. to lie in court while on the witness stand? Obviously this would have to be to help out a friend, but it would also have to be morally something akin to Robin Hood Prince of Theives or something. "The words would not be a lie."

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
1. to hunt animals?

Humans are omnivores. Truly, we started as scavengers and turned hunter. Just because it isn't how things are done anymore, this is truly only a recent innovation for us NOT to get our primary source of protein from animals which we have hunted, killed, and dressed ourselves.

2. to rob a bank?

I would do so pretty much only under the condition of blackmail - severe bodily harm or murder toward a loved one. Honestly, depending upon the person being held hostage, someone could get me to do just about anything.

3. to have sex with someone you do not have romantic feelings for?

I have done this when I have wanted to have romantic feelings for someone or when I was unable to differentiate between lust and caring/desire/love. I'm not proud of that, but I have fooled myself.

4. for a nation to declare war on another?

Only if the 2nd nation is seriously violating human rights and the 1st nation has the power and ability to enforce global/universal human rights.

5. to kill your spouse?

Only if they are in a position where they are already dying and in pain and have asked for their life to end. :-(

6. to kidnap somebody?

If they are going to do something so royally screwed up or have managed to be "brainwashed" somehow and are not acting themselves, then I would kidnap someone and try to force them to counseling of some sort. Though, to be fair, I work for a company that "kidnaps" people on a pretty regular basis. We take people who are a danger to themselves, others, or gravely disabled and force them to get treatment in an inpatient hospital setting.

7. to spank your child?

Honestly, very young children do not understand more complex forms of punishment, and need immediate consequences for their actions in order to learn. While I'm not an advocate for it, I can understand spanking them. Mind you, not with anything beyond your hand and not with force enough to truly hurt the child.

8. to lie in court while on the witness stand?

If I know my testimony will get someone wrongly incarcerated, I would lie. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I cannot tolerate the thought that because of my testimony someone would wrongly be found guilty.

·
Registered
607 Posts
1. to hunt animals? What's more natural? Better than buying pre-packaged if you're going to eat meat.

2. to rob a bank? not in my world, but acceptable in movies. (?)

3. to have sex with someone you do not have romantic feelings for? for the experience, but then I *would have romantic feelings, so... I guess if I were a spy or something

4. for a nation to declare war on another? when your rights are being infringed and threatened

5. to kill your spouse? umm...no. there are alternatives to this.

6. to kidnap somebody? jaja I'd like to see a justification on this

7. to spank your child? Not sure about this one... rare, too often used in my world

8. to lie in court while on the witness stand? go with your gut... this is tough, but you have to do what you think is right

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
1. to hunt animals?

Questions on Islam | Could you please give information about Hunting in Islam?

2. to rob a bank?

Never

None

Self defense (on logical grounds though, none of the neo con Western bullshit that's been bursting in today's world)

5. to kill your spouse?

None, I will never be strong enough to do so anyway for whatever reason

6. to kidnap somebody?
A hot actor I like like Kim Hyun Joong?Lol kidding

None

7. to spank your child?

Only if he/she committed a most serious almost inhuman crime.

Giving false witness is one of the biggest sin in religion...

I'd probably only lie if it were more on the side of human rights, regardless of what the law says.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Noticed I'm getting tainted (persuaded) while I read the responses, so I better post my own thoughts :D.

p.s. Some of you are major failing and not using any creativity to create a 'justifiable' response.

1. to hunt animals?
'Humanely' killing to limit suffering and attempting to utilize as much of the remains as possible.

2. to rob a bank?
If the money was going to be used with just-cause ie: a sick loved one that needs treatment asap.

(Objective) If both people are fully aware of it and are still consenting.

If another nation becomes a serious threat to the rest of the world or itself (its own people). This also assumes all other options were exhausted.

5. to kill your spouse?
(Subjective) I believe that loving someone on a deeper level eventually leads to you having a 2nd conscience (as if their thoughts exist within you). With that in mind, if she were in in a state of disarray which would lead to the harm of 'our' family (children) and it was a 'kill or be killed' situation, I'd do what she would have wanted me to do...

6. to kidnap somebody?
If you don't have custody rights to your children and they are in a terrible environment.

7. to spank your child?
Toughy for me, but I'd say an accidental spanking from trying to quickly swat a fork out of the child's hand as it's trying to poke an electrical socket.

Whenever you feel like it :p. I don't believe in anyone being bound to tell the truth, although I'd naturally prefer it when they interacted with me.

·
Registered
951 Posts
1. to hunt animals?

While this is something I wouldn't feel comfortable doing, I don't see how this is worse than eating meat prepared by others.

2. to rob a bank?

The banking system itself engages in theft as a matter of course. But I don't think would ever be necessary.

I don't think is ever desirable.

I believe strongly in the non-initiation of force. Only in self defense. Any other stated reason is almost always just a cover for the real reason.

5. to kill your spouse?

Only in self defense.

6. to kidnap somebody?

This is an initiation of force.

7. to spank your child?

This isn't something I support under any circumstances.

Courts are nearly universally corrupt. Truth and justice have no meaning there.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
1. to hunt animals?
Some people need to hunt for food in order to survive. For some cultures, this is a major way of obtaining their food. If there was no other way to obtain food, I would hunt animals.
2. to rob a bank?
Some people turn to criminal acts when material conditions look rough. If I desperately needed money to survive and there was no other way of obtaining it, I would rob a bank.
Negative social stigmas towards sex need to go away. So this is fine.
This is capitalism at work. So this is natural under capitalism for imperialistic conquest. Not that I'm okay with it...
5. to kill your spouse?
If ending their life meant ending their suffering and they deeply express want for it (i.e. in terminal illness, etc.);
6. to kidnap somebody?
If my child was in the wrong hands; i.e. losing custody battles
7. to spank your child?
Spanking is REACTIONARY and ABUSIVE and is NEVER okay.
I shall objectively tell the truth as much as possible.

·
Registered
622 Posts
1. to hunt animals?

If your also an animal lol.

2. to rob a bank?

Robin Hood ?

Biology. Its in my jeans! I mean... my genes.

Dont really want to think of a reason to justify war. So ill pass.

5. to kill your spouse?

Euthanasia maybe ?

6. to kidnap somebody?

Maybe like one of those twisted movie plot scenes where the kidnapee has consensually agreed to be kidnapped to escape a greater fate.

7. to spank your child?

Violence as a means of discipline ? what am I disciplining an animal ? no.

If your omnipotent.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I can't help but feel I've going to be viewed in a negative light here....but oh well, my opinion and first amendment comes to mind.

1. to hunt animals?
Considering I want my steak to moo when I eat it, I don't have any real objection to it. But for this quiz, I'll say necessity and survival. I really don't like hearing about torture to animals though.

2. to rob a bank?
Hmmmm I'll go with if you've been already framed for it by an evil twin, then you might as well commit the crime you're going to jail for.

Already had a couple one night stands, didn't care for it. Give me cuddling, wine, and all night with a girlfriend instead. My bestfriend is a legit manwhore, so in his case, extremely hyper active sex drive.

Bagh, already in a profession for war. Self defense from invasion is justified however.

5. to kill your spouse?
If they're in a vegetative coma with little hope of coming out of it. It's more painful to watch them waste away on life support.

6. to kidnap somebody?
If they live under a rock with no social contact whatsoever. Kidnap em and take them to disney world.

7. to spank your child?
If you're abusive then you really don't see it as immoral.

If the court system is completely unfair, then flip the bird to the man dude:tongue:.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Oooh this is fun :) I almost read the others' answers first, but I don't want mine to be influenced ..

1. to hunt animals?
For food. If they endanger mankind. Catch and release. Hmm. Overpopulation

2. to rob a bank?
If they won't give you your money when you try to withdraw it all :p Umm...if someone you love has a terminal illness that can be cured with large sums of money that you can't get any other way. If you're starving and have no other way to get some food and shelter. If you're doing a Robin Hood-esque type thing.

Blah. Ummmm...if it was their last day and you want to help them go out happy. You were drunk.

If the government is killing off innocent people. If they attack us.

5. to kill your spouse?
Oh Jesus. Euthanasia, if they're in pain and about to die, and there's no cure and it's their wish. If they turned into a zombie. If they were about to kill you (self defense).

6. to kidnap somebody?
If they were being abused.

7. to spank your child?
Hahaha. Um, if they do something that could hurt them. Like running across the street without looking for instance...spanking them kind of shows that there's pain associated with things that could hurt them. Or if timeouts or nothing else works.

If it was a "no good deed goes unpunished" type scenario.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I feel like an asshole being the only one(?) to think spanking isn't a bad thing. I think it has its uses and is effective when it's used right, WITHOUT anger. I was spanked growing up and it was no big deal. In fact my parents produced a bunch of model citizens, and none of us were the least bit abused. But I still feel like an asshole :p

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I agree. It doesn't mean it won't break my heart to do it. It breaks my heart to kill insects lol.

You guys are missing the point with spanking. The point of spanking is to prepare them for the real world, which is "a spanking."

That being said, punishment has to be within the circle of "trust."

Otherwise, the child will never know the seriousness of possible punishment in the real world.

You guys are raising loving children, but not giving them any self defense knowledge.

You would kill someone in self defense, but not teach your child to?

That being said. If we are going to soley rely on a humanitarian type of faith rather than an equal amount of defensive measures, then I dare say, we should sell our house, rely on nothing except for our spiritual humanitarian faith.

Otherwise yes it is "ideal," as an isolated unit, but in the general scheme of things, I feel I'd be a hypocrite to consider it as bad as some are saying.

Is it any better to ignore someone when you are tired?

Sparta kids got sent in the wild at age 7!

Now we will wait till age 18 and send them instead to Mcdonalds and a 4 year degree of little but alcohol?

:D

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't know how creative I can get because all of these things seem easily justifiable to me...

1. to hunt animals?

For food? I'm not against hunting... I don't prefer to do it as sport, but I'd like to learn to do it well for emergency situations.

2. to rob a bank?

I need money to pay for a life-saving operation for my child.

When you are still stuck in the marriage and haven't decided to get out yet :wink:

If that nation that has war being declared against it is North Korea :happy:

5. to kill your spouse?

When they are in pain and dying and want it to end sooner rather than keep living until the bitter end.

6. to kidnap somebody?

Surprise bachelor party :tongue:

7. to spank your child?

I actually believe spanking is appropriate when raising a child. I think we have a nation full of spoiled brats because not enough of them got hit on the ass. And no, I was never spanked and actually had to ask to be grounded as I was growing up just so I knew what it was like.

The movie "Sleepers" comes to mind.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
I actually believe spanking is appropriate when raising a child. I think we have a nation full of spoiled brats because not enough of them got hit on the ass. And no, I was never spanked and actually had to ask to be grounded as I was growing up just so I knew what it was like.
What a masochist. XD

·
Registered
687 Posts
1. to hunt animals?I need the food and I plan to utilize as much as the animal as possible.

2. to rob a bank?A close familiy member/friend is in some serious trouble with loan sharks.

3. to have sex with someone you do not have romantic feelings for?.... I'm horny?

4. for a nation to declare war on another? One of the nations is planning on taking over many smaller defenseless nations and taking their resources.

5. to kill your spouse?He tried to kill me first. HIS FAULT.

6. to kidnap somebody?They're better off with me. -eye twitch-

7. to spank your child?I think that as long as people don't spank their kids all of the time it's alright. Especially if they did something like run away and endanger their life.

8. to lie in court while on the witness stand?I'm defending my friend/family.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
I feel like an asshole being the only one(?) to think spanking isn't a bad thing. I think it has its uses and is effective when it's used right, WITHOUT anger. I was spanked growing up and it was no big deal. In fact my parents produced a bunch of model citizens, and none of us were the least bit abused. But I still feel like an asshole :p
It may not have seemed like abuse to you, but repression can go a long, long way.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Of course it is based on past repression, and it is always the goal to grow to a better and more balanced character.

However, to ask someone not to raise their children the best way they think, is to ask them to be a hypocrite.

There are positives for spanking as well, just like anything.

That being said, when the norm of "not spanking" catches up, and a law is created, we as a culture will keep adjusting to figure out how to raise children without spanking.

There really aren't enough studies to show that it doesn't result in laziness, or various versions of neuroticism.

This may not be a great culture, but when a child goes into the world with false assumptions, dualistic needs come at conflict, and various types of neurotic behaviors can often develop. That's what I read last night in the Portable Jung at least.

If you can raise your kid without any punishment, then I'll look up to you.

But punishment is still punishment.. based on your past repression.

You can say your way is better than mine.. if you really want to create conflict, which might be necessary to some degree.

I however, am not saying that about your way, or mine.

In a way, I want to love and raise a family based on what I love and know. How could I do any differently with any determination?

Ya might not like the way I raise the kids, or my kids, or me for that matter, but at least I've still got my family, that I raised. *shrugs..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts