Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love love love K-pop and Korean r&b music. So this thread is for anyone to post their favorite K-pop and Korean r&b songs. I prefer K-pop songs and Korean r&b songs that are from the 1990's up until now. If you can, try to find the english translations for the kpop and Korean r&b songs. Also, feel free to discuss how you got into listening to k-pop and korean r&b, why you like it, and to analyze the nature of k-pop and korean r&b music.

Reactions: Ewok City

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Here is another one of my favorite kpop songs. I used to play this song so much and I still love it. It is Drip Drop by Taemin, who is in the band Shinee. Taemin showcases his beautiful singing voice, great dance moves, and good lyrics in this song.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I know this was the first:

·
Registered
INFP
76 Posts
My favorite group of all time is Dreamcatcher! For those who love anime / rock / metal music, Dreamcatcher is often said to be a music that anime fans and metalhead can enjoy. So if you are interested you can check them out!

Mayday sounds like an anime opening song.

Scream mixes hard rock / metal with little bit of EDM.

Endless Night is a metal song, this is for their Japanese debut under Pony Canyon label.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My favorite group of all time is Dreamcatcher! For those who love anime / rock / metal music, Dreamcatcher is often said to be a music that anime fans and metalhead can enjoy. So if you are interested you can check them out!

Mayday sounds like an anime opening song.

Scream mixes hard rock / metal with little bit of EDM.

Endless Night is a metal song, this is for their Japanese debut under Pony Canyon label.

Dreamcatcher seems to be good. I like some rock/metal jrock songs, so I can relate to what you might get from these songs. In my opinion, they can kind of give you an exciting existential angst kind of feeling that makes you feel alive, as if you were a character in some emotional action anime. Do you ever feel anything like this when you listen to DreamCatcher or other korean rock/metal songs?

Personally, I prefer jpop or j r&b songs that have dreamy, spacey sounding instrumentals and that talk about love, emotions, feelings, or nature; but I like some fast paced metal sounding songs sometimes. I also listen to edm a lot and I used to listen to a couple of metal bands.

By the way, I'm a big anime fan.

·
Registered
INFP
76 Posts
In my opinion, they can kind of give you an exciting existential angst kind of feeling that makes you feel alive, as if you were a character in some emotional action anime. Do you ever feel anything like this when you listen to DreamCatcher or other korean rock/metal songs?
Yes, Dreamcatcher's "Fly High" in particular sounds like something that can be used as SAO's opening song in my opinion! But lately they have been doing quite a different genre, nowadays their music expresses more about social issues such as cyber-bullying, loneliness despite living in the middle of a crowded city, and unable to reach out help when you need it the most.

One of their latest comeback "Scream" is really filled with angst, as it likens the habit of the K-netizens to that of a witch hunt, where the idols are accused of being witches and being hunted down. As we all know, they like to find faults in the idols and even go as far as to send death threats.

Other K-pop song that I find to sound like anime song are GFriend's songs, a lot of people said that their songs sound like shoujo anime's opening song. My favorites from them are "Navillera", and "Rough".

Personally, I prefer jpop or j r&b songs that have dreamy, spacey sounding instrumentals and that talk about love, emotions, feelings, or nature; but I like some fast paced metal sounding songs sometimes. I also listen to edm a lot and I used to listen to a couple of metal bands.
Ahh yes on daily basis I also listen to softer music, these days I've been listening to a lot of Taeyeon and Sejeong. I listen to all kinds of genre out there, and I find that I listen to particular genre for particular situations. Have you ever listened to Taeyeon's "Rain"? I think you might love it, since it has R&B influences.

By the way, I'm a big anime fan.
There are a lot of good anime songs out there too aren't there? I used to have high school friends who would give me recommendations, but ever since I graduate I haven't been listening to any of them.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But lately they have been doing quite a different genre, nowadays their music expresses more about social issues such as cyber-bullying, loneliness despite living in the middle of a crowded city, and unable to reach out help when you need it the most.
Songs about social issues sounds really interesting. This is because it gives the music a sense of time and place. Also my interest in psychology and social issues relates to sociology which is somewhat of a similar field. Social issues also reminds of an anime from the 1990's called "Serial Experiments Lain" which was a good anime, but it was hard to understand. Do you have some examples of good songs by Dreamcatchers that deal with social issues?

Ahh yes on daily basis I also listen to softer music, these days I've been listening to a lot of Taeyeon and Sejeong. I listen to all kinds of genre out there, and I find that I listen to particular genre for particular situations. Have you ever listened to Taeyeon's "Rain"? I think you might love it, since it has R&B influences.
That song seems to be pretty good, but I prefer k pop and k r&b songs that sound less mainstream, and have a mysterious vibe to them. For example, this song.

Cherry Coke, "Blind"

Or this song.

Ripely, "Dream"

I found these two songs by listening to a korean underground indie, r&b, and hip hop live youtube stream. Here is the link to it.

There are a lot of good anime songs out there too aren't there? I used to have high school friends who would give me recommendations, but ever since I graduate I haven't been listening to any of them.
Yeah, anime has a lot of good songs. Watching anime is what got me into listening to Jpop and Jrock, and then got me into Kpop and Kr&b. I have a youtube page with a lot of jpop and jrock songs, mostly from animes. I could give you some good song recommendations, although I dont know if we have the same taste in anime music.

·
Registered
INFP
76 Posts
Do you have some examples of good songs by Dreamcatchers that deal with social issues?
Yes! A lot of their songs talk about social issues, but their latest comeback "BOCA" in particular is more direct about it. The song's concept is about cyber-bullying and its victim. "Too many angels are dying now", as quoted from the lyrics expresses about good people who have fallen victim to cyber bullies and have taken their own lives.

Cherry Coke, "Blind"

Or this song.

Ripely, "Dream"
These are good songs! I haven't really listened to much of these kind of mysterious R&B K-pop, so it was really refreshing.

Yeah, anime has a lot of good songs. Watching anime is what got me into listening to Jpop and Jrock, and then got me into Kpop and Kr&b. I have a youtube page with a lot of jpop and jrock songs, mostly from animes. I could give you some good song recommendations, although I dont know if we have the same taste in anime music.
I'd be more than happy to check it out! You can never have enough of good music after all. :LOL: My music taste also happens to be quite broad, being a Music major graduate, I listen to practically any kind of music possible.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are good songs! I haven't really listened to much of these kind of mysterious R&B K-pop, so it was really refreshing.
I'm glad that you like them. Seeing how korean r&b and k pop is something that I got into in the past couple years, I'm skeptical about my taste in that kind of music. I feel like you have to listen to different artists of a new genre for a while before you develop a good taste in music of that genre. It's also more difficult because I don't live in Korea so I don't know their sociocultural environment, which would give me some idea of what might have inspired their music.

I'd be more than happy to check it out! You can never have enough of good music after all. :LOL: My music taste also happens to be quite broad, being a Music major graduate, I listen to practically any kind of music possible.
Oh you are a music major graduate, that's really cool! I love music, and the different things that it can make you feel. I used to be into music when I was younger. I played the piano for about 5 years and I was in percussion in my school band. I went on to get a bachelors in psychology, so I like to analyze music, and pretty much anything, psychologically.

Here is a link to my youtube page with jpop and jrock songs. It also has some other music and other things that I like there.
Jpop &Jrock

·
Registered
INFP
76 Posts
I feel like you have to listen to different artists of a new genre for a while before you develop a good taste in music of that genre.
I agree, before I got into K-pop I was basically listening only to what everyone else is listening. But the more you listen to them, the more you start to see commonalities between them, and as a result develop an appreciation for the artists who are unique.

Oh you are a music major graduate, that's really cool! I love music, and the different things that it can make you feel. I used to be into music when I was younger. I played the piano for about 5 years and I was in percussion in my school band. I went on to get a bachelors in psychology, so I like to analyze music, and pretty much anything, psychologically.
Thanks! ☺ Being in a school band sounds like a really fun experience! I studied a lot of band music when I was in music school, and there was a point where my professor encouraged me to be a band composer. During those times, I do wonder what is it like to play in a band, they seem to be more carefree than the orchestra. At least that's the impression that I get.

Well psychology is cool too, and I think that people who study psychology tend to be interested in music, and vice versa. In my opinion, music is the most emotionally expressive art form, and there is a lot of human psyche and feelings that can be analysed, or simply to be admired. :)

Thanks for sharing the playlist! I'll be on a lookout on this thread, so if you find any good songs, please do share it here! We can exchange songs every now and then! 😄

Cheers~

P. S: Home Made Kazoku used to be my favourite artist when I was in middle school! I love "Nagareboshi" and "Hero" so much, I picked up guitar just to learn those songs. I used to think that they were underrated and not too popular, so glad to know that you like them too! ☺

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! ☺ Being in a school band sounds like a really fun experience! I studied a lot of band music when I was in music school, and there was a point where my professor encouraged me to be a band composer. During those times, I do wonder what is it like to play in a band, they seem to be more carefree than the orchestra. At least that's the impression that I get.

Well psychology is cool too, and I think that people who study psychology tend to be interested in music, and vice versa. In my opinion, music is the most emotionally expressive art form, and there is a lot of human psyche and feelings that can be analysed, or simply to be admired. :)

Thanks for sharing the playlist! I'll be on a lookout on this thread, so if you find any good songs, please do share it here! We can exchange songs every now and then! 😄

Cheers~

P. S: Home Made Kazoku used to be my favourite artist when I was in middle school! I love "Nagareboshi" and "Hero" so much, I picked up guitar just to learn those songs. I used to think that they were underrated and not too popular, so glad to know that you like them too! ☺
Your welcome.
Band was pretty fun, but I was really unmotivated in school so I didn't try my hardest in band and didn't practice much, except when I played the marimba. The marimba is similar to a piano except you hit the notes with a stick. Most of the songs played in my school band were pretty boring though.

I agree with you that imo music is the most emotionally expressive, but I wonder what people in the classic arts, like painting or sculpture, or people in other arts like acting, would have to say about that statement.

The reason why music has a lot of human psyche and feelings that can be analyzed is partially because, according to Kierkagaard, the ears are the most spiritually determined of the senses. I learned this from brainpickings.org. So I guess music is what speaks to our ears the most. This makes me wonder what determines what type of music speaks to someone, and what this says about the person's personality and psyche.

Your welcome. I'll try to share good kpop and k r&b songs if I find them, but I have a hard time finding them because its hard to find English translations to them, and I don't listen to it as much as I listen to other music. Also, most people who posted on my thread seem to have different taste in korean music than me. I actually prefer jpop and jrock music, and I have a thread on this website about jpop and jrock music.

I really love home made kazoku. I like their music, clothing, and hairstyles. Their songs "thank you" and "shounen heart" really have a "feel good" vibe to them. I'll have to check out their songs "Hero" and "Nagareboshi".

·
Registered
INFP
76 Posts
I agree with you that imo music is the most emotionally expressive, but I wonder what people in the classic arts, like painting or sculpture, or people in other arts like acting, would have to say about that statement.

The reason why music has a lot of human psyche and feelings that can be analyzed is partially because, according to Kierkagaard, the ears are the most spiritually determined of the senses. I learned this from brainpickings.org. So I guess music is what speaks to our ears the most. This makes me wonder what determines what type of music speaks to someone, and what this says about the person's personality and psyche.
That's really interesting, I haven't really heard about this theory before, but I can agree to it. Since hearing for humans play an important part for communication, and I think feelings and verbal communications are quite closely related, I think that what Kierkegaard said about it should be true.

Well...people from other art forms all have their own opinions on which art is the most expressive, so....this topic is quite debatable 😂

I really love home made kazoku. I like their music, clothing, and hairstyles. Their songs "thank you" and "shounen heart" really have a "feel good" vibe to them. I'll have to check out their songs "Hero" and "Nagareboshi".
Yes, do check them out! Nagareboshi was used as Naruto's ending song, but I'm not really sure which season was that. And there are two versions for "Hero", I like the strings version.

I'll try to share good kpop and k r&b songs if I find them, but I have a hard time finding them because its hard to find English translations to them, and I don't listen to it as much as I listen to other music.
I'll be looking forward! Cheers~ :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts