Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to this site, so sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place or whatever! Basically I've got into personality typing quite a lot recently, I used to do tests as a kid but thought nothing of it. I've figured out the cognitive functions and am like 90% certain I use Ti, Ni, Se and Fe. There's vague flashes of the shadow types (Ne, Si, Te, Fi) but only occasionally and not much.

I'm definitely an introvert, so that leaves ISTP and INFJ. My issue is that I use both Ni and Ti so much either could pass as my dominant function (I've read into dominant function posts for both and identify strongly with both) and my Se and Fe manifest themselves in unhealthy ways ie recklessness, thrill seeking, manipulating people emotionally and needing to be in control of situations, wanting to keep the peace and people to like me etc. No one I've ever met would class me as a 'feeler' which is why initially I thought I couldn't be INFJ as I'm not emotional really at all except relating to other people's perceptions. And often I am quite blunt and awkward in situations where you are supposed to be sympathetic.. surely auxiliary Fe should be better than that? But at the same time I don't really see myself as your typical ISTP either.

What does this seem like? Detached INFJ or sensitive ISTP? Sometimes I find myself appearing more like one or the other depending on who I'm with.

Cheers for any help x

·
Registered
775 Posts
Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah I test as that a lot. As an INFJ, why do you get that impression?
ISTPs can come across are extremely warm and receptive, but I don't know how common it is for INFJs to come across as NOT feelers. ISTPs have Fe as their inferior function, right? I would expect that to show through, making an ISTP seem warm and seeking connection, but not necessarily seeming like a feeler. Meanwhile an INFJ has Se as their inferior function, so we can seem passive, impractical, and (sometimes) power-hungry.

·
Registered
775 Posts
This is how socionics describes an ISTP's relationship to Fe:

Being entrenched in logical, systematic thinking processes, LSIs need others to create an emotionally inclusive atmosphere where they know they are accepted and liked. Left to themselves, are usually quiet, reserved, and often relatively formal in their behavior, and frequently are not highly aware of how they might enliven the atmosphere or develop camaraderie and connections with others. LSIs might prototypically organize group events or precipitate a situation where emotional bonding might occur, but they are almost unable to create the bonding themselves; they need others to fill the situation with feeling, laughter, and fun.As LSIs sometimes devote themselves extensively to whatever they do, they may tend to build up a lot of emotional tension, which can only be released when somebody gives them a vivid reminder that there is more to life than their responsibilities.LSIs respect and admire people who are deeply passionate about things and care enough about them to instill their attitudes in others and try to get them involved. They can forgive a little unruliness, impulsivity, and disorderliness for the emotional value such people give them. LSIs sometimes tend to suffer from a deficit of passion and feel emotionally connected to the world mainly when they are around lively and emotional people who can generate a sense of kinship and group activity. Indeed, LSIs around passionate individuals can loosen up and moderate their usually stern lifestyle.Like other beta quadra types, LSIs can show a preference for environments of where free and sometimes crude expression is permissible, and where they will be not be judged harshly or negatively perceived for their viewpoints, insensitivity, or humorous expression. More than other beta types, they may tend to monitor themselves excessively to avoid appearing rude or being so evaluated if they do not feel accepted and safe from chastisement.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,202 Posts
Maybe you should look at the differences with their Se? ISTPs are going to be much better at using it than INFJs. You could watch videos on the two types and see which one you relate to more, I think that could help you.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
ISTP with an atypical Enneagram?

Just in case you haven't heard of Michael Pierce:

Also, if you know about loops, here's a comparison between ISTP's and INFJ's:

ISTP: Ti-Ni loop:

The ISTP will go out of their way to break all rules and purposely mess up people’s lives. They may become destructive and will also develop a sense of superiority. They will think they are above all emotional sources of stress and thusly neglect their feelings and the feelings of others.

INFJ: Ni-Ti

The INFJ in the loop will spend a lot of time jumping to conclusions about how things work and making assumptions without enough evidence. This may be predicting what other people need or how an event will play out but it is not reliable. They may also become extremely cold and seclusive but lonely at the same time. If people do not approach them they may become bitter.

Source: PSYCH — Each Type In The Loop

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, all really helpful :) yeah my problem is I only use both Se and Fe in unhealthy ways so can't really see any of them as a particularly developed auxiliary function.

·
Banned
5,877 Posts
Can you expand on how you use Se and Fe in an unhealthy way?
What motivates your actions and what kind of behavior they trigger?

It'd help to have a filled questionnaire but it's not necessary.
Sometimes all it takes is figuring out patterns and cognitive drives, to understand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Se isn't really 'unhealthy' per se, just under developed. I'm really not the typical Se user at all. I can be quite oblivious to my surroundings when I'm fixated on something, am ridiculously clumsy, and not especially co ordinated in the way typical Se users are. I also have a number of friends who use dominant Se who basically define the term 'act first, think later' whereas I generally don't, unless I'm drunk and/or upset. However I can be quite reckless, and enjoy adventurous pursuits when they won't cause me any danger (for example I would jump out of a parachute thousands of feet into mid air, but wouldn't run down a steep hill, because I know I'm likely to make myself fall which takes the rush away for me). I do enjoy sensory pleasures in excess sometimes too.

If I'm being honest with myself my Fe is actually really unhealthy. I divert from being socially awkward to manipulative depending on who I'm with. I've never actually figured out how to behave in a crowd, and I've always secretly craved to be 'normal' and liked reasonably well, both of which are normal healthy inferior Fe traits I guess. But then sometimes I can be very emotionally awful with people's emotions, and I think perhaps it could be unhealthy aux Fe instead. And occasionally I think there may be healthy aux Fe in there, as I can be unusually perceptive with how people are feeling in ways in which some of my dominant feeling friends cannot. Also all my feelings for people in any way are based on their feelings and reactions towards me. Like ALL of them. I'm definitely not a Fi user, anyway.

Not sure unhealthy was the correct word, however if I had to order my functions, Ti and Ni would be way at the top, and Se and Fe way down below, which is why in my case they come across as underdeveloped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.