Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to make a good habit of keeping a journal, but I've never been able to stick with it for more than two months consistently (currently I have about...three entries over three months, but my best streak was about 70 entries over the same amount of days...many years ago). Do any other INFPs journal? What do you journal about? I feel like I can't focus to well on basic day to day things, so I'm trying to switch to more journaling based on frequent thoughts, or situations clouding my mind.

But I can't seem to stay with it, which is no fun, because it's pretty helpful whenever I do so! :frustrating:

Right now I'm using the Day One app on my laptop...perhaps I should make the move to my leuchtturm notebook..

·
Registered
897 Posts
I've written daily in a journal for over 10 years. They're very useful to look back on and the act of summarising my day at the very end gives me a sense of closure and valuable time to reflect on events and process my feelings about them. It's hard to get into at first though, and it can be hard to keep up. Sometimes, my entries are unreadable and only one line long.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have never been good at doing things regularly. I don't keep a journal, but I do have a blog I use as a journal. Or, I save them as notes on my iphone. There are days where my mind will be flooding with thoughts and/or inspirations that I will be posting and saving all throughout the day. There are times I am tied up in reality that no matter how much I want to sit and write, nothing comes to mind. On those days, I don't try. I used to try to keep a regular schedule, but I'd eventually get frustrated and give it all up. I used to be worried I would lose my imagination if I didn't keep a habit of writing something down. But I realized it to be a part of me. There are those days where I need to write something down. Otherwise I can't function because I am stuck in my head. Knowing that, I don't worry too much anymore and only write when I feel the need to do so.

But I am similar to you in content. Writing daily rituals is difficult for me. I think the reason is similar to my dislike of small talk. I mostly live in my head and that matters more. It flows much better when I focus on my stream of consciousness. Sometimes it will be rants, sometimes it will be more abstract and poetic.

Is there a reason you want to keep a journal?

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,690 Posts
Here is how I keep a journal:

Phase 1
1.) Acquire a blank journal/notebook
2.) Mark the first virgin page, christening it as a journal.
3.) Write about anything.
4.) Four entries in one day? Well that just counts as a really long entry.
5.) Skip a day or two because I can't think of anything worth writing.
6.) Repeat steps 3-5 until the book is half-filled.

Phase 2
7.) Realize how many life changes you've had and look through some of your old entries.
8.) Become appalled at your previous values and pessimistic ramblings. How dare you be so shortsighted?
9.) Become convinced that a malevolent spiritual entity is embodied by this journal.
10.) Eventually make good on your vow to destroy the journal's hold on you.
11.) Rip out all the pages and burn them outside, but you didn't plan it out very well and you can't completely burn them.

Phase 3
12.) Experience more life events and wish you could look back on your previous written experience.
13.) Vow to start a new journal, but the half-burnt remains of your last journal are still outside—over one year later.

I'm not much help with offering journal-keeping tips!

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I've kept a private journal on Livejounal since 2009. It's really nice to share my day, say whatever I want, and later I can look back to that time. It's one of the few times I've developed a (near) daily habit.

I journal about everything, because that's the point (for me).

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a reason you want to keep a journal?

Yes; It's a really nice emotional release for me if I write about something I've been mulling over for a while. Much better than walking around with red eyes and a puffy face after half an hour of sobbing! :confused: Not that the content would be sad necessarily, but too many thoughts stresses me out, and I can't get to the root of my busy mind after a while, so I need to "dump" some of them (venting to friends/family, a good cry, etc.). I want to be a bit more productive about it all, though..

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is how I keep a journal:

Phase 1
1.) Acquire a blank journal/notebook
2.) Mark the first virgin page, christening it as a journal.
3.) Write about anything.
4.) Four entries in one day? Well that just counts as a really long entry.
5.) Skip a day or two because I can't think of anything worth writing.
6.) Repeat steps 3-5 until the book is half-filled.

Phase 2
7.) Realize how many life changes you've had and look through some of your old entries.
8.) Become appalled at your previous values and pessimistic ramblings. How dare you be so shortsighted?

9.) Become convinced that a malevolent spiritual entity is embodied by this journal.
10.) Eventually make good on your vow to destroy the journal's hold on you.
11.) Rip out all the pages and burn them outside, but you didn't plan it out very well and you can't completely burn them.

Phase 3
12.) Experience more life events and wish you could look back on your previous written experience.
13.) Vow to start a new journal, but the half-burnt remains of your last journal are still outside—over one year later.

I'm not much help with offering journal-keeping tips!
Hahaha! I've experienced this a few times so far. I'm in my 20s now and my early teen years were absolutely pitiful. Wish hindsight came sooner than after it's over and done with!

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Yyyeessss!!!! Journaling is literally my #1 passion. I've kept journals since age 6, and there's been an evolution in style as I grew older. As a child it started as practicing my writing, in my teens it was about describing my life, and in my +20 and +30 it was about self-analysis, self-development, growth and vision planning/life goals.

These are my main points:

1. I don't write for obligation. I write if I have something to analyse or need to talk to myself about something.
Some weeks I write everyday because I have a ton of stuff to process, or a lot of beautiful things happened that I want to immortalize.
Some weeks I only write a few days/times because only those days contained something important.
Some weeks I'm so busy that I can't write. I physically have no time to sit down with myself for an hour. So I will sit down whenever I have a chance, and then do a recap entry of everything important that happened in the span of a period of time. Like say sometimes I'm so busy with work and family and socializing that I don't touch my journal for 10 days. When I finally have time for myself, I will do a recap of those 10 days using my planner as reference for events. So I will check my planner and see "oh yeah 9 days ago that super important life-changing, lesson-learning thing happened" so I will write about that. After I've journaled about the whole experience, I will check the next events in my planner, see what my socializing was like, what events I attended and what happened, what happened at work, and so on.

2. My content falls into 2 categories:
a) Venting/stream of consciousness followed by self-analysis and eventual ahá moments and epiphanies, inner wisdom that comes out as I declutter my psyche. This process leads me to my own resolution of problems.
People often ask me "How are you so wise about life?" the answer is journaling. And what is my journaling about? Extreme introspection & psyche decluttering, which leads to an eventual come-to-the-forefront of all the wisdom I had buried unside, inaccessible due to the clutter.
b) Collecting/Recording two types of life events:
b.1.Beautiful things that happened to me that I want to remember forever.
b.2.Shitty but important things that happened that taught me a lesson. The purpose of this is not to remember shitty things just because, there is no point in that. It is to remember the lesson so I don't make the same mistake in the future. I explain the situation so that in the future when I re-read the lesson, I have a context to work with and so I can recognise those same red flags in future events.

3. Journaling for me is not only about recording life events & self-analysis, self-development. It's also a place where I talk over and over about my short-term and long-term goals. I write to myself in a way that I am reinforcing my vision, and I record all the little tiny goals I achieved as I am walking toward my bigger goal in life. I write evidence to myself of the actions I take in the world in the pursuit of long-term stuff.
This is super useful because every time I achieve a long-term goal and need to set a new one, I go back to old journals and read about my whole process of how I got from point A (having nothing) to point Z (having everything I dreamed of). I can see actions I did, steps I took, the mindset that was required, the failures, and how I picked myself up and kept going. Seeing the mental state I was as I was working on a goal that I achieved is super helpful, because I replicate that same mental state to achieve new goals. And seeing the failures also encourages me to not give up ever, and to believe that when one door closes a window opens, and that divine timing combined with mental state + actions will eventually lead me to success. And I know that I will not succeed tomorrow, I am much slower in achieving goals than the average citizen, but I will never stop. Slow and fearful but steady and optimistic makes me win my own marathon.

4. I may write multiple times a day. Just whenever I need to process something or record something. I mark it with the time. "10am. Feeling blablabla---" "4pm. Blablablabla" "8'30pm Bablablablabla"...

I can't use digital formats when journaling. I need notebook, pen, my bed and candles. I need to touch stuff.

Reactions: neutralchaotic

·
Premium Member
15,519 Posts
In my older years, I don't like writing unless someone is reading my words.

I'm also a little bit picky in that -- ->> if you are reading my words, I don't want you to say anything to me about what I have written. Usually. I can't stop responses, of course and/or questions, but my perfect scenario (for me of course! :)) is to write out thoughts/opinions, put them up on some "public board" ... know they are being read by the world (unless I'm on their *Ignore list*) -- and then I move on to the next post. It seems I have a major fail -- at appreciation --for human interaction, questions, discussion.

I had a live journal when younger I used to post in, but it wasn't real secrets or "deep". I have many leather journals in my home, but they are filled with stuff that isn't feeling related. I love those super creative journals I see, with images and stickies and inky stamps, but I just can't keep it up. Like I can't keep up an appointment book. If I went and sold, all my appointment books I've collected through the years, I'd be a millionaire.

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@entheos - Thank you so much! I've found my journaling (attempts) to lean more into the self-discovery + goals + ponderings side of life now that I'm older as well. I really should make a habit of the life events though, that's something I've neglected, but I do like to remember things...granted without the slow deterioration (I heard our memories become more 'false' every time we remember--retrieve--them...)

I have a bullet journal for many of my short term objectives (what needs to get done in the next week, month, or semester), planning for projects I initiate, book lists, blog post ideas, etc., and scheduling.

It's a serious conflict for me! I love writing, but I've had a poor grip ever since I learned, so it makes my hand cramp after a while (and no matter how hard I've tried, I cannot be comfortable writing the proper way, as they say). But I ignore a lot of my reminders to journal (they pop up around 10 pm every night), so I'm clearly not externally motivated, haha!

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I'm also a little bit picky in that -- ->> if you are reading my words, I don't want you to say anything to me about what I have written. Usually. I can't stop responses, of course and/or questions, but my perfect scenario (for me of course! :)) is to write out thoughts/opinions, put them up on some "public board" ... know they are being read by the world (unless I'm on their *Ignore list*) -- and then I move on to the next post. It seems I have a major fail -- at appreciation --for human interaction, questions, discussion.

I had a live journal when younger I used to post in, but it wasn't real secrets or "deep". I have many leather journals in my home, but they are filled with stuff that isn't feeling related. I love those super creative journals I see, with images and stickies and inky stamps, but I just can't keep it up. Like I can't keep up an appointment book. If I went and sold, all my appointment books I've collected through the years, I'd be a millionaire.
I have one of those! I decorated it a couple months ago, because I have zero time to create as I go (university + work + commute time..no creativity time!). I have a blog as well, but I'm keeping it more to my interests, and feel a bit too exposed dumping my private life online for others to pour over.. but at the same time I want the feedback too. I'm so paradoxical. :confused:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've written daily in a journal for over 10 years. They're very useful to look back on and the act of summarising my day at the very end gives me a sense of closure and valuable time to reflect on events and process my feelings about them. It's hard to get into at first though, and it can be hard to keep up. Sometimes, my entries are unreadable and only one line long.
Now I feel inadequate lol (not really)

I've been journaling daily for the past 2 years. I was journaling before then but just when I felt like it. I agree some of them are hard to look back on (specifically the one from freshman year). It's a great way for me to release all the thoughts & dreams I keep in my head since I don't talk much.

·
Registered
897 Posts

Feel free to ignore this then, but it might be worth putting in your sig a "don't respond to my posts" notice or something if you really want to discourage replies.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,322 Posts
I have off and on over my life, I like it when I do, I feel like I have a better memory of things and I find it easier to clarify my thoughts when I'm typing rather than just spacing out. I started it up again this past year after my daughter was born because I love that my mom has a daily journal for my first years and want to have those memories to share with my daughter for the years she probably won't have much of her own memories for later on.

I often start with just writing basic stuff that happened, but that often turns into things I'm thankful for or prayers that were answered or opinions reflections about things, venting feelings, etc. etc. it depends on the day, my mood, how much time I want to take, sometimes entries are short some are long.

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have off and on over my life, I like it when I do, I feel like I have a better memory of things and I find it easier to clarify my thoughts when I'm typing rather than just spacing out. I started it up again this past year after my daughter was born because I love that my mom has a daily journal for my first years and want to have those memories to share with my daughter for the years she probably won't have much of her own memories for later on.

I often start with just writing basic stuff that happened, but that often turns into things I'm thankful for or prayers that were answered or opinions reflections about things, venting feelings, etc. etc. it depends on the day, my mood, how much time I want to take, sometimes entries are short some are long.
Congratulations. :) My mother has a journal with all the ridiculous things we've said or done over the years, it's pretty full now, and very fun to flip through and rib each other for being so foolish. :proud: I want to get into the habit so that keeping a record for my eventual child or two will be second nature!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Ive had several journals since I was able to write...so elementary school. They're very dear to me. I first began to write because I felt I didn't have anyone to talk to as a child and I wanted to document my traumatic events for evidence of abuse. In retrospect as an adult,the abuse I endured was minimal in comparison to those who share my culture. The journals still serve as a reminder of the thoughts I've had growing up. Anytime i think about them I kind of tear up. My family discovered my journals at one point and really feel like our relationship was never the same. If i write now i feel dirty. Thinking about it now, it really helped maintain my sense of privacy and held me together. I use to bring her to school when I cried alone in the bathroom. I write mostly about things that bother me or things that I cant figure out. I also write so that who ever reads it will maybe learn from my mistakes (future kids??future me??).I haven't written in some time now. Its on and off.

Reactions: neutralchaotic
1 - 16 of 16 Posts