Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hello everyone! This is my first post over here, I hope I'm posting this in the right part of the community.

So, what I wanted to ask was, how do you guys/gals keep in shape intellectually/mentally. I've been feeling like there's not much room left in my head for some time, like I've run out of patience, and I can't eat knowledge as much and as fast as I once could, have any of you been through this, am I expecting too much in too little time ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
692 Posts
First of all, hello everyone! This is my first post over here, I hope I'm posting this in the right part of the community.

So, what I wanted to ask was, how do you guys/gals keep in shape intellectually/mentally. I've been feeling like there's not much room left in my head for some time, like I've run out of patience, and I can't eat knowledge as much and as fast as I once could, have any of you been through this, am I expecting too much in too little time ?

Thanks!
The first thing you need to do is get some real physical exercise. Then you need to figure out what foods screw up your brain.

There are also plenty of articles on websites such as Science Daily on the various effects of exercise and mental "puzzles" to exercise the brain. Language is thought to be one of the best brain exercises, especially learning a second language.

For me, if I don't get enough exercise I end up with a mental fog and a bleh feeling. I have been learning Spanish and Russian too. Sometimes I feel like it helps. Other times I'm not so sure. Like when I try to think of something in Spanish and it comes out in Russian.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
First off, welcome to the INTP forum!

Secondly, as INTPs, most of us may already be brain dead (by us I mean me), so I suggest asking the INTJs how they keep their wits about them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I could work on the physical exercise part. Do Programming Languages count as Languages ?

But what I wanted to revolve around was, what do you do when you feel like you can't learn anymore ? Like you would need a USB hard disk attached to your skull for the information to have more space to be stored in.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Learn chess and try to play blindfold(very good effect on memory and vision).Also get some cardio to improve the blood pressure which wll make your brain more efficient.

Reactions: Adrianl

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I get a pretty intense workout 5 days a week at work (fast-paced labor), and try to lift weights at least once or twice a week aside from that.

I'm a full-time student, so I'm never at a loss for new reading material. That definitely helps, as long as the reading has some substance to it.

I find that teaching myself to play various instruments helps boost my creativity.

There are also certain natural herbal remedies that can really help to keep your mind limber, provided you use them in moderation. *cough*

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I just read and learn what interests me. Considering I am so far behind on all my interests, I don't think I'll run out of reading/study material anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Wikipedia provides a good overview. There's no rhyme or reason behind what I am interested in and how I pursue it. I just randomly research stuff that strikes me as interesting. Right now I am really into Russian history and so I just finished the biography of Catherine the Great.

·
Registered
293 Posts
See I was going to answer this thread with I have an all season body but seeing that you're talking about mentally, I do more crosswords. I like them and they keep my attention.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Just make sure to stimulate your white matter a few hours a day. I recommend reading, writing, sudokus or mathematics. Learning new programming is also a good mental function. Like others said I recommend at least 30 mins of cardio a day along with some weightlifting if possible. Welcome!

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
I think I could work on the physical exercise part. Do Programming Languages count as Languages ?

But what I wanted to revolve around was, what do you do when you feel like you can't learn anymore ? Like you would need a USB hard disk attached to your skull for the information to have more space to be stored in.
You need some S time. Find something with a lot of pieces, parts, string, paint. Use a hammer, nails, screwdriver....build a birdhouse. This will give your brain some time to back-burner a bunch of information and compact your database. You don't need to be actively intellectually involved for that process, in fact, it is better if you are not. Also, sleep a lot.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I sleep about 7-8 hours/night, and sometimes a short nap during day time. I play piano/keyboard, and compose music from time to time (didn't have much time lately for stuff other than school related projects).

I think I watch a little too much TV Series lately and should focus more on other stuff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I try to set an hour on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for physical exercise at the gym, but I don't do anything special mentally. Mostly things which interest me with a moderate amount of school work on the side.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I go to the gym, sometimes. It's not really the working out that stops me from going but the road towards it, like 10 minutes w/bike. And my mp3 player keeps dying on my after 1 hour so it's a big risk.

As for mental training, uhhh.

·
Registered
243 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts