Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately I have been musing about personal appearance and aesthetics and why humans place, or don't place, value on it and how it affects us. I decided it would be interesting to see what my fellow ENTPs thought.

Why do people put effort, or not put effort, into their appearance? Is it justifiable to make judgements of them based on the amount of effort they put forth?
Do you think we are in control of our appearance, or are we just doomed to our own genetics?
As an ENTP, how much effort do you put into your looks, and what benefits or consequences have you reaped?
Do ENTPs generally place more or less importance on appearance (their own and others) than other personalities?

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
we care a LOT less. S is our weakest function. Se, the absolute weakest of all 16.

i comb my hair once a day and brush my teeth twice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I care but don't care at the same time. As a once popular teen i got caught in the hype of being a "pretty boy" (someone who takes care of themself to an almost feminine level (washing face when sweaty, hair well groomed, nice flashy clothes). So when I want to/need to my appearance is stellar, most of the time tho, I don't really care, but I try to not look like a bum most days.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
This is a question better answered by enneagram. I care a lot about what others think of me and how I come off but I probably spend almost no time on my body or physical attributes, that just means I have really low Se which is certainly true. My feelings toward image are mostly my 3w2 though.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Why do people put effort, or not put effort, into their appearance? Is it justifiable to make judgements of them based on the amount of effort they put forth?
Appearance affects how people see you without talking to you. A better one means you will have better chances at giving people your bullshit. Well, at least that's my reason. There are health benefits too. If you try a "5 minutes typing game" appearance gives a quite solid base for S-N differentiation.

Do you think we are in control of our appearance, or are we just doomed to our own genetics?
Plastic surgery, Make-up, We have a ton of things that help us change ourselves. We can change almost everything. So no, If you want to look good, you are only bound by money.

As an ENTP, how much effort do you put into your looks, and what benefits or consequences have you reaped?
A lot. I find that a lot of effort doesnt take much time, and it makes life more enjoyable. I have my eyebrows plucked, I clean my skin every day, twice. I put on 3 different cleaning masks every week, once. I brush my teeth, everyday, twice. I take a shower every morning. I have long hair and I use a multitude of hair products. etc.. And it takes not more than 40 minutes a day. I can give that up for the benefits.

Do ENTPs generally place more or less importance on appearance (their own and others) than other personalities?
Less. I dont really care about how people look, but I care if they care about how I look. Well, not exactly care, but it makes life a lot easier.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I only really put effort into my hair, that's about it. If it gets too long and messy I don't feel like dealing with the upkeep, so I get a buzz-cut and the cycle repeats.

But with clothes I could honestly care less. I'm a plain T-shirt, blue jeans, Nike sneaker kinda guy. I do work out often though, so I guess that could be considered keeping up your appearance too.

I'm the same about women too, I like when girls don't feel the need to doll themselves up.

I find it arbitrary and incredibly shallow to put someone down for not dressing up to some standard. In fact, I'd probably be more likely to judge someone who is trying way too hard to be stylish than someone who looks unkempt.

·
Registered
367 Posts
There's a multitude of levels to judgment based on appearance, though, isn't it?

1: Health, physical capability, personal nature.
2: Desired and intended image, self concept, cultural heritage
3: Possible motivations behind projecting that image. Insecurities and compensation
4: What the specific interpretation, and reaction to appearance, says about you as the perceiver
5: You've stared for a long time, it's weird, look away.
6: Talk yourself out of it. You're an ENTP, after all.
7: Be dumb enough to ask if he dresses in leathers and has a communist neck tattoo because he has small girly hands and wrists. Because you're an ENTP.
8: Oh god run, POLICE! HELP!

1. You would first see if someone is attractive, intimidating or their state of health.

2. Then you access mental schemata concerning their clothes, accessories and physical adornment(hair, tattoos) - the closer to stereotypes people(consciously) dress and look, the more they take after it.

*|It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, a biker hanging with bikers dressed as a biker and treated as a biker, will behave closer to the public conception of a biker, that's psych 101. Your positive/negative gut feelings for schemata like bikers, emos, hippies will factor into how you perceive them, anyway. But you judge their closeness to any stereotypes, and pile on preconceptions accordingly.

3. Motivation behind their choice of projection. Second-hand, cheap clothes? Dressed very stereotypically? Garish colours? Promiscuous? What is the mainstream at the moment, could a promiscuous mainstream explain sexy dress styles?

Social insecurity can lead to overcompensation. Wearing super macho, aggressive outfits like camo fatigues, combat boots and anarchy-inspired tattoos, or super feminine, sexually exhibitionistic outfits like tiny dresses, stiletto heels, mega-cleavage and cosmetic enhancement. Not necessarily to extremes, but someone who wears shabby work boots with everyday clothing, reveals something for the intuitive mind.

4. My personal focus on spotting underlying motives and insecurity might imply I'm unempathetic, controlling and guarded, and that I need to know and understand people around me to feel like I'm in control.

5. Aw crud, I've been locking eyes with the biker dude for like four seconds while deliberating all this and now he's scowling and coming this way...

6, 7 & 8: Not again...

·
Registered
226 Posts
There is a lot of reason to both side, some of which I think means putting effort into appearance provides people certain amount of confidence, whether it is genuine or not, and allow them to fit in social conditioning of being well-endowed. On the other hand, people choose not to put effort because they don't value its importance and believe it's superficial or unnecessary.

Both. In my experience, I'm doomed to my own genetics in a way that I couldn't have the square jaws or ideal chins. Still, I had the opportunity to take control of my facial structure several years ago and i took it.

I pay healthy amount of attention to my looks since I'm the frontman of my band: I get my undercut hairstyle every three weeks, go jogging everyday, and have a healthy diet with no addictive substance. I havent bought any new clothes but I make sure that my outfit is at least 'perceivable'. Having said that, I do feel highly genuinely confident in social situation as well as dating scene.

As an ENTP, I place as equal importance on my appearance as on other aspects of my life, and I hold the same standard for other people's, although it's difficult to specifically articulate how I expect a person to present themselves physically, perhaps ' perceivable'. I have different social circles and sensor men usually fail in fashion department, but sensor women really hold their own league.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A lot. I find that a lot of effort doesnt take much time, and it makes life more enjoyable. I have my eyebrows plucked, I clean my skin every day, twice. I put on 3 different cleaning masks every week, once. I brush my teeth, everyday, twice. I take a shower every morning. I have long hair and I use a multitude of hair products. etc.. And it takes not more than 40 minutes a day. I can give that up for the benefits.
See, I do kind of the same thing with my hygiene, I'm not using cleaning masks or anything but I wash my face and have started taking shaving super seriously, using pre-shave and aftershave lotion and stuff like that. Seems like some ENTPs care more about the grooming and hygiene aspect, but overall are kind of like, "eh, whatever."

·
Registered
367 Posts
See, I do kind of the same thing with my hygiene, I'm not using cleaning masks or anything but I wash my face and have started taking shaving super seriously, using pre-shave and aftershave lotion and stuff like that. Seems like some ENTPs care more about the grooming and hygiene aspect, but overall are kind of like, "eh, whatever."
I think, if we see it as having concrete, practical advantages, we pay attention. If it's brought to our attention that our lack of focus(if that's the case) on appearance is hindering us, and we perceive that, we will definitely make the effort.

Seeing the difference between fresh clothes, clean shave and breath mints, and the typical raving into work after staying up or drinking until 0200, might instill a healthy respect for the effects of our appearance.Theoretical ramifications of appearance is irrelevant, but not when it's right in front of our nose.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still, I had the opportunity to take control of my facial structure several years ago and i took it.
I like to help other people take control of their facial structure. I've found baseball bats to be the fastest method.

Knives are also effective.
image.jpg

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Hm. This is a tricky one because see, I do and then I really don't for certain things. I generally only care about the parts of my appearance which are... noticeable by others.

Ex: I make my hair and makeup every morning quite well and Ooh how tidy, etc... but then I do that thing where I wear the same pants 1 week in a row. Winter is my favorite because I can literally just.. not even take the top part of my pajama off. I can just put a jacket over it and be on my merry way. But you know what? Face and hair man, fuckin Cover Girl shit, folk don't suspect a thing.

Physical appearance (health wise, etc) is just kind of... "yeah, I'll eat when I get home"... (10 hours later) .. "my... head hurts and I don't know why... maybe it's because I haven't had anything to drink since last night".

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
So lately I have been musing about personal appearance and aesthetics and why humans place, or don't place, value on it and how it affects us. I decided it would be interesting to see what my fellow ENTPs thought.

Image is basically our primary concern. And everyone who tells you they don't care what other people think cares that you know that they don't care... so it's a case of doing/feeling one thing and saying the other. I like to think other things matter but much of it is based on image. We also live in a narcissistic culture that's obsessed with broadcasting our every emotion. An experience isn't "real" to us anymore unless we share it with other people.

But ultimately image isn't going to make you happier. Psychological research says external rewards, such as image, money, and popularity don't create lasting happiness. What happens is after 2 or 3 days your brain adapts to that new level of success. So you're left where you were before. What creates happiness is intrinsic goals: personal growth, relationships, a sense of community feeling by giving back to people... these things all lead to happiness.

So yes, image is important to other people and we're all more shallow than we'd like to admit. Regardless, it's not going to make you happy so don't become obsessed.

·
Registered
831 Posts
^^^ Blah Blah...uh..so that's a "no" answer?

I will say that my appearance isn't essentially important. I make a minimal effort in the morning, brush hair, slap on some eyeliner and its go time. However I do realize that there are times when making a greater fuss and paying attention to my appearance is a factor that I need to consider. Anytime you worry about something to the detriment of feeling okay, you should explore why this idea/thought is so important to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts