Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
What are the key differences between the two? How do I know which one I am? What are some famous people of each type?
RH says that basically a cling to objectivity marks a 1w9, and for that reason they avoid human relationships. 1w9s persuade by showing you their logic without bias. 1w2 is supposed to be more comfortable with subjectivity, enjoys debate to refine their ideas, these relationships creates a need for the betterment of others.

What if half of the definition fits and the other doesn't? Well, there is no answer for that. This variation of type 1 keeps it vague. If there was some sort of authority then they would change this, or kill the wing theory.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
1w9s seem to be more into philosophising morals and what needs to be reformed etc whereas 1w2s would rather actually act on it. 1w2s are usually more feisty than 1w9s as well.
I wonder if you could link back the difference from 1w2 and 1w9 to lifestyle, and say each wing builds their personality around their interaction with others and this shapes how the 1 fixation characteristics are applied to the environment.

RH says 1w9 is secluded and tries to work alone, avoids messy relationships, you say they are theory-heavy and isn't particularly keen on application.

RH says 1w2 are active and outgoing, forceful with others, and probably trend towards aggression more than 1w9 towards others as you stated.

You're probably right, more thinking alone (theory) leads to more 1w9 than 1w2. More interaction leads to more 1w2 traits than 1w9.

EDIT: Crap, realized I repeated myself from earlier in the thread. Oh well, worth repeating.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
The prior post may actually give me the answer I am looking for. Seclusion throughout my teen and adult life have created someone who analyzes many things I do and the world around me works, but all of my jobs have me reliant on other people causing me to emphasize changing others and systems regarding others. What you get is a 1w9 which has kept exposure to people rather high in dealing with the 1-ness, but a preferred lifestyle and thought process of a 1w9. I may try to embrace my 1w9 ways on matters of importance to emphasize the strengths I do have to be better at what I do.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
1w9s tend to be less emotionally expressive than 1w2s. I've noticed that when watching some of the videos of famous 1s. The 1w9s seem to be much drier and more reserved than 1w2s.
Are those the Typewatch examples? Typewatch's definition is much different than RH's. I don't understand how some of those guys like Karl Rove or some of the other 1w9s are actually 1 because the moralist never actually shows through with them to convince me that they're a 1. 1w9 is said to be otherworldly, but how unmoralistic and lacking resentment can you be without being a 5 given the fixation?

EDIT: The definitions aren't totally unaligned though, really. Both say that 1w9s spend too much time in their heads and revolve actions around abstract ideas. I think people make incorrect ideas about 1w9 when they say they're soothing like a 9 is, and 1w2 is the only one who wants to help people. The desire to help people and improve others is being a 1 core, and the soothing energy is based on the individual. It just depends what environment you're in and your situation.

·
Banned
891 Posts
@Wake

It's possible they may be Typewatch examples. I forget who posted them (might have been one of the mods). It might be good to ask whoever posted them (if they are active), as to whether or not they are from TW or somewhere else.

I'm not sure what you mean by your comment about type 5 and being moralistic.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
What are the key differences between the two? How do I know which one I am? What are some famous people of each type?
externally
1) 1w9s are more relaxed, giving off a grounding, paternal presence; 1w2s tend to be more tense/rigid
2) 1w2s expend more energy. 1w9s will speak up if they feel there is a significant problem, but they don't do so in a way that exerts a lot of energy.
3) 1w2s like to debate more; 1w9s find it tiring after awhile, especially if the opposition is being belligerent or disrespectful
4) 1w2s are typically more critical of details; 1w9s are more big picture and more likely to view minutia as insignificant
5) 1w9s have an aversion to excessive displays of emotion; 1w2s wear more emotion on their sleeves
6) similarly, 1w9s avoid emotional appeals when trying to make converts; 1w2s readily resort to emotional appeals and sensationalism; viewing the "human" element as essential.
7) 1w9s channel their anger more efficiently. they tire more easily and are less verbose and action oriented than 1w2s. in terms of aggression, a 1w9's is similar to a samurai, making a few swift, powerful and precise cuts that quickly severe their opponent and end the altercation (they can be really fucking scary during this short period). 1w2's aggression is more fiery and longer lasting once it's turned on
8) 1w9s tend to mind their own business more; 1w2 is more willing to get in your face and put up a protest.
9) 1w2s tend to view 1w9s are complacent and dispassionate; 1w9s tend to view 1w2s as disruptive and irrational
10) 1w2s have a stronger superego influence. they're more likely to appeal to a person's guilty or sense of duty/obligation. 1w9s may do this a little, but they typically find copious amounts of it unsavory. the 9 wing lessens the pull of the superego and allows them to be more mellow and less controlling.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
externally
1) 1w9s are more relaxed, giving off a grounding, paternal presence; 1w2s tend to be more tense/rigid
2) 1w2s expend more energy. 1w9s will speak up if they feel there is a significant problem, but they don't do so in a way that exerts a lot of energy.
3) 1w2s like to debate more; 1w9s find it tiring after awhile, especially if the opposition is being belligerent or disrespectful
4) 1w2s are typically more critical of details; 1w9s are more big picture and more likely to view minutia as insignificant
5) 1w9s have an aversion to excessive displays of emotion; 1w2s wear more emotion on their sleeves
6) similarly, 1w9s avoid emotional appeals when trying to make converts; 1w2s readily resort to emotional appeals and sensationalism; viewing the "human" element as essential.
7) 1w9s channel their anger more efficiently. they tire more easily and are less verbose and action oriented than 1w2s. in terms of aggression, a 1w9's is similar to a samurai, making a few swift, powerful and precise cuts that quickly severe their opponent and end the altercation (they can be really fucking scary during this short period). 1w2's aggression is more fiery and longer lasting once it's turned on
8) 1w9s tend to mind their own business more; 1w2 is more willing to get in your face and put up a protest.
9) 1w2s tend to view 1w9s are complacent and dispassionate; 1w9s tend to view 1w2s as disruptive and irrational
10) 1w2s have a stronger superego influence. they're more likely to appeal to a person's guilty or sense of duty/obligation. 1w9s may do this a little, but they typically find copious amounts of it unsavory. the 9 wing lessens the pull of the superego and allows them to be more mellow and less controlling.
I think that 1w9's are more likely to be confused with 4's, especially with the 5-wing.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I think that 1w9's are more likely to be confused with 4's, especially with the 5-wing.
3w4/1w9 would be a more likely mix up in my opinion.
- calm and controlled most of the time
- competency driven
- more formal demeanor. 3 and 1w9 both give off a "gentemanly" vibe
- reserved, but typically have good manners
- prefer to deal with their negative emotions privately

4w5s come off edgier with a less polished delivery. while both types tend to have more introverted communication styles, the 1w9 is more restrained, seeing personal problems and inner conflict as things they shouldn't inconvenience the outside world with. 4w5s don't care about this. they may not extrovert all of their emotions, but, when do they express them, it's usually done indiscriminately. their personalities tend to have a more reactive quality similar to cp6 or even 8 and it often seems like their heart and their mind are grinding against each other.

on the other hand, an integrated 4w3 could potentially look like a 1w9.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
4w5s come off edgier with a less polished delivery. while both types tend to have more introverted communication styles, the 1w9 is more restrained, seeing personal problems and inner conflict as things they shouldn't inconvenience the outside world with. 4w5s don't care about this. they may not extrovert all of their emotions, but, when do they express them, it's usually done indiscriminately. their personalities tend to have a more reactive quality similar to cp6 or even 8 and it often seems like their heart and their mind are grinding against each other.

on the other hand, an integrated 4w3 could potentially look like a 1w9.
*wants to see a vibe comparison between 4w3 and 4w5*

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
*wants to see a vibe comparison between 4w3 and 4w5*
off the top of my head
due to the 3 wing, 4w3 is a little more polished, though more likely to extrovert certain aspects of their internal volatility. 4w3s are typically more feisty and temperamental and may be more prone to a sense of entitlement/narcissism than 4w5. they have more outward charisma and are often more ambitious than the more withdrawn 4w5, possessing a taste for the extravagant and fluctuating between confidence, defensive image projection and self loathing.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
I think 1w9 is more correlated with Self-Preservation, or maybe even Sexual, though I still have a hard time envisioning a Sexual 1w9.

Reactions: Blindspots

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pobably somebody who wants to lock up those close to him to protect them from any potential harm?
I am a 1w9 and that is very very very very true . That's exactly how we see it. We want to maintain a "good" relationship with others, and try to deal with any problem in a logical way, avoiding any slips of "bad" emotions.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,382 Posts
off the top of my head
due to the 3 wing, 4w3 is a little more polished, though more likely to extrovert certain aspects of their internal volatility. 4w3s are typically more feisty and temperamental and may be more prone to a sense of entitlement/narcissism than 4w5. they have more outward charisma and are often more ambitious than the more withdrawn 4w5, possessing a taste for the extravagant and fluctuating between confidence, defensive image projection and self loathing.
But how does 3w4 and 4w3 look different

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am a 1w9 and that is very very very very true . That's exactly how we see it. We want to maintain a "good" relationship with others, and try to deal with any problem in a logical way, avoiding any slips of "bad" emotions.
Another sx 1w9 here, with an sx 1w2 ex that I'm still friends with. I'd say we're equally protective of others and strict about hiding bad emotions from them, but the way we try to protect is extremely different. His way of protecting people seems fairly inseparable from applying his standards to others. It's less personal with me. I don't get as frustrated when someone ignores an obvious solution to their problems. I tend to try and work around other people, manipulating the circumstances or environment to solve problems for the people I want to protect.

Examples:
-The 1w2 thinks anyone who lives in our super poverty-stricken area and can't make ends meet has no excuse, because there are places they could move to with plenty of jobs, and the military will pay for school, etc. He found a way out, so no one has an excuse for not doing the same.

-I'm trying to figure out a Christmas gift for my 2w3 aunt, who doesn't at all take care of herself, that she would actually embrace. Since she ignores direct pampering style gifts, it has to be something that will hold her interest from a "taking care of others" perspective, while still giving her the motivation or means to pamper herself. I want to find a way to make her want to take care of herself, rather than just convincing her she should.

And, about sexual 1w9s:

Sexual 1s in general seem a lot more unstable than other 1s. Intensity/intimacy and self-control are impossible to balance, and we want both to absolute extremes, at the same time. Intensity eventually wins the struggle, and losing our self-control ends up hurting someone, even if it doesn't last long. Having a 2 wing seems to make the whole cycle less forgivable because of the damage it does to other people. My 9 wing helps with accepting the inevitability of the whole thing, and with keeping some perspective when I make mistakes because of it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thank you for this thread. It helped me understand my 1w9 enneagram a lot better.

I'd say I'd rather not show my negative emotions in a difficult situation in front of others because I don't want to appear weak, vulnerable, unstable and unprofessional, especially, if I'm in a working environment. Speaking about the workplace, I tend to even control my positive emotions and restrain any possible outbursts if I think they would cause too much distress to my colleagues or make them think I'm seriously not right in the head or worse that I'm immature. In both scenarios keeping your composure takes up some serious strength as I'm feeling everything to the core and have to pretend nothing's bothering me at the same time. But let's face it, most of the times I did attempt to be honest about my mood and feelings people wouldn't understand me. *sigh* :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts