Personality Cafe banner

Key differences between 1w9 and 1w2?

[Enneagram Type 1] 
76K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Teen Rose 
#1 ·
What are the key differences between the two? How do I know which one I am? What are some famous people of each type?

#2 ·
RH says that basically a cling to objectivity marks a 1w9, and for that reason they avoid human relationships. 1w9s persuade by showing you their logic without bias. 1w2 is supposed to be more comfortable with subjectivity, enjoys debate to refine their ideas, these relationships creates a need for the betterment of others.

What if half of the definition fits and the other doesn't? Well, there is no answer for that. This variation of type 1 keeps it vague. If there was some sort of authority then they would change this, or kill the wing theory.

#4 ·
I wonder if you could link back the difference from 1w2 and 1w9 to lifestyle, and say each wing builds their personality around their interaction with others and this shapes how the 1 fixation characteristics are applied to the environment.

RH says 1w9 is secluded and tries to work alone, avoids messy relationships, you say they are theory-heavy and isn't particularly keen on application.

RH says 1w2 are active and outgoing, forceful with others, and probably trend towards aggression more than 1w9 towards others as you stated.

You're probably right, more thinking alone (theory) leads to more 1w9 than 1w2. More interaction leads to more 1w2 traits than 1w9.

EDIT: Crap, realized I repeated myself from earlier in the thread. Oh well, worth repeating.

#5 · (Edited)
The prior post may actually give me the answer I am looking for. Seclusion throughout my teen and adult life have created someone who analyzes many things I do and the world around me works, but all of my jobs have me reliant on other people causing me to emphasize changing others and systems regarding others. What you get is a 1w9 which has kept exposure to people rather high in dealing with the 1-ness, but a preferred lifestyle and thought process of a 1w9. I may try to embrace my 1w9 ways on matters of importance to emphasize the strengths I do have to be better at what I do.

#7 · (Edited)
Are those the Typewatch examples? Typewatch's definition is much different than RH's. I don't understand how some of those guys like Karl Rove or some of the other 1w9s are actually 1 because the moralist never actually shows through with them to convince me that they're a 1. 1w9 is said to be otherworldly, but how unmoralistic and lacking resentment can you be without being a 5 given the fixation?

EDIT: The definitions aren't totally unaligned though, really. Both say that 1w9s spend too much time in their heads and revolve actions around abstract ideas. I think people make incorrect ideas about 1w9 when they say they're soothing like a 9 is, and 1w2 is the only one who wants to help people. The desire to help people and improve others is being a 1 core, and the soothing energy is based on the individual. It just depends what environment you're in and your situation.

#8 ·
@Wake

It's possible they may be Typewatch examples. I forget who posted them (might have been one of the mods). It might be good to ask whoever posted them (if they are active), as to whether or not they are from TW or somewhere else.

I'm not sure what you mean by your comment about type 5 and being moralistic.

#9 ·
externally
1) 1w9s are more relaxed, giving off a grounding, paternal presence; 1w2s tend to be more tense/rigid
2) 1w2s expend more energy. 1w9s will speak up if they feel there is a significant problem, but they don't do so in a way that exerts a lot of energy.
3) 1w2s like to debate more; 1w9s find it tiring after awhile, especially if the opposition is being belligerent or disrespectful
4) 1w2s are typically more critical of details; 1w9s are more big picture and more likely to view minutia as insignificant
5) 1w9s have an aversion to excessive displays of emotion; 1w2s wear more emotion on their sleeves
6) similarly, 1w9s avoid emotional appeals when trying to make converts; 1w2s readily resort to emotional appeals and sensationalism; viewing the "human" element as essential.
7) 1w9s channel their anger more efficiently. they tire more easily and are less verbose and action oriented than 1w2s. in terms of aggression, a 1w9's is similar to a samurai, making a few swift, powerful and precise cuts that quickly severe their opponent and end the altercation (they can be really fucking scary during this short period). 1w2's aggression is more fiery and longer lasting once it's turned on
8) 1w9s tend to mind their own business more; 1w2 is more willing to get in your face and put up a protest.
9) 1w2s tend to view 1w9s are complacent and dispassionate; 1w9s tend to view 1w2s as disruptive and irrational
10) 1w2s have a stronger superego influence. they're more likely to appeal to a person's guilty or sense of duty/obligation. 1w9s may do this a little, but they typically find copious amounts of it unsavory. the 9 wing lessens the pull of the superego and allows them to be more mellow and less controlling.

#20 ·
Thank you for this thread. It helped me understand my 1w9 enneagram a lot better.

I'd say I'd rather not show my negative emotions in a difficult situation in front of others because I don't want to appear weak, vulnerable, unstable and unprofessional, especially, if I'm in a working environment. Speaking about the workplace, I tend to even control my positive emotions and restrain any possible outbursts if I think they would cause too much distress to my colleagues or make them think I'm seriously not right in the head or worse that I'm immature. In both scenarios keeping your composure takes up some serious strength as I'm feeling everything to the core and have to pretend nothing's bothering me at the same time. But let's face it, most of the times I did attempt to be honest about my mood and feelings people wouldn't understand me. *sigh* :)

#21 ·
1w9: The Idealist
Idealistic and would rather explain their ideologies than spend time correcting others. It can be difficult to see the anger with this wing, more so than with a 2-wing, since it's expressed as stiffness, impatience and sarcasm. Like to be alone and prefer solitary work, as to avoid the disappointment of working with someone else. They're more distanced, impersonal and "spaced", and can show discontent towards others.

1w2: The Advocate
Active, outgoing and clearly more aggressive when pursuing their ideals. Like to be alone, to recharge and think. They also get energy from interaction with others, especially by discussing and perfecting their ideas. They have a natural sense for politics and their altruism particularly revolves around others needs. They can be critical, irritable and verbalize (often loudly) their discontent.

#23 ·
1 is perfection
1w9 = artistic perfection Eg perfect actors, perfect dancers, perfect singers
1w2 = moralistic perfection Eg may be lawyers i mean good lawyers, may be some human rights activists, some honest politicians.
1w2 is somewhat like Fi though not as much complex.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.