Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello INFJ

What is your relationship with children ? A new family just moved next door to my parents, they have 4 small children under the age of 6. They have only been there for a few weeks and already are in love with 2 of my family members, my dad and brother who are INFJ. They follow them around like lost puppies, its so adorable to watch. They didn't seem to get as attached with other family members of other types. The 5 yr. old knocks at my parents door and asks if my brother can come out to play, too funny. My brother is 22, heh. They ask so many questions, they feel so comfortable . Is there something about INFJ that draws kids in. I think so, it must be their kind nature, or is it something else ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
yes! from lost children asking me for help at the store, to stopping babies from crying with one look into their eyes to walking down the street and kids playing on the street asking me if i want to play "battle top" or draw with chalk... its strange to me, i look at kids very "clinically" as in i find them fascinating like "empty vessels". they always seem to see something in me that my peers dont. its kinda cool but not because... well being 25 year old man and having lost kids come up to you looks very suspicious to other adults and many times their minds go to something "deviant". i like kids... but im careful.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have this thing about me that whenever I'm around children who are crying/screaming, I cringe and then I begin to feel bitter. The noise really causes me discomfort and I have to actually either leave the room or have a look on my face that I don't have the patience to tolerate what's going on with the child. And also I get creeped out when children and babies stare at me, but that's more of a neurotic thing.

But this is not to say that I don't like children. I like them when they're calm and in a playful sort of mood. I also like comforting them when they are sad, just not the point where they're screaming at the top of their lungs. So I don't mind children and for some reason they seem to like me, but I can't be around them all of the time.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,590 Posts
I tend to draw them to me even when I'm minding my own business. My ENFJ husband always wins them over with a smile and a silly face. I tried smiling at one once and I think I scared her away. So I guess the whole silent thing works better for me? I don't know. I do know that I enjoy the company of children much more than most adults because they are very accepting of everyone.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Kids love INFPs too. ^_^
I like children and I relate well to children but my INFP sister seems to be a magnet for them even more. I don't know how much this has to do with upbringing versus type. Both my parents' jobs involved working with children and they are very good with kids. (My dad is ENTJ and my mum is INFP).

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I like children and I relate well to children but my INFP sister seems to be a magnet for them even more. I don't know how much this has to do with upbringing versus type. Both my parents' jobs involved working with children and they relate very well with kids. (My dad is ENTJ and my mum is INFP).
My mom is a scientist and my dad works at a college. I have no idea if upbringing has anything to do with it. When I am out in public, kids tend to flock around me, probably because I dress colorfully and always have art supplies with me.

Reactions: zallla

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Children normally don't take to me right away, but there are those few - the quieter, introverted, and curious ones - who gravitate to me and I to them. I'm not one of those folks (like my mom) who enthuses and gushes over babies and children in general. My cousin has a son who is nearing 4 years old. I met him for the first time last Christmas. Though he needs more time to develop his personality, I have a feeling he's an intuitive and perhaps an introverted one, too. He and I just bonded naturally. He also took easily to my sister, an INTJ. He was soft-spoken but alert and jovial; you could see in his eyes that curiosity and imagination within him as he played with his toys while I watched. This sounds so strange, but most of our communication was non-verbal. He simply wanted my sister and me there, in his company, as he played and constructed stories between his T-rex and astronaut figurines.

·
Registered
885 Posts
If I didn't get so anxious around children, especially infants to 2 years old. I don't know how to act around them. i want to, there is something genuine and innocent about kids that I miss, but I just get so anxious and freeze up and try to pretend they arent there.

but when i am able to connect with one, it is awesome. i connected with my little cousin, she was almost 3, i think, watching spongebob. she had this magnetic touchscreen etch-a-sketch contraption so i would draw spongebob for her and talk like him and it was awesome.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Forget kids. They're weird. I haven't been around many children at all since I stopped being a child. A few a weeks ago I saw my friends niece and it was a really strange experience seeing a small human being moving around with out much of a sense of balance. Well, I'm referring to a 2 year old.

But I look at other kids and they're just small humans and it makes me just think about life. To answer the question though, I think kids like me. At least dogs and cats like me. I don't see much of a difference anyway. Forget kids.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Ntuitive, yeah... I understand a bit... I'm assuming they WOULD like me, and yes I am very good with animals (not tryign to drop kids to their level) ... I'm just not around kids period. My extended family doesn't do big holiday get-togethers, and I don't have any siblings so I don't have brothers/sisters to pop them out. None of my close friends have kids either. I haven't really been around kids since I was actually a kid myself, so..yeah very hard to say. I've had some interactions with high school students through volunteer work, but I don't consider them kids, but young adults.

Sometimes I have wondered how I would react around them...would I act appropriately? Who knows. I don't really have that aspect in my life.

This is another reason why I don't think I'd be a good teacher, I've had little to zero life interaction with people in those age groups. I've imagined this before and think the only people I could teach would be mature graduate students or adults. I know that isn't a realistic situation, so I pretty much dropped the whole being a professor as a career choice thing.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I feel awkward around kids. Or maybe not awkward, only that they take up all the interest in the room and then I feel at ease...
And I don't like kids in general until they've grown into who they are kinda.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
I really don't have time for kids. My INTJ colleague recently relayed a hilarious tale about one of his mishaps with children. A few weeks back, he and his wife were visiting friends and their new(ish) child. His wife accidentally dropped said child when she was passing her back to the mother.

The child was so horrified, it apparently went wide eyed, screamed and produced a small amount of vomit.

Call me a bad person, but I was crying in fits of giggles for at least 3 minutes after I had been told.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Kids seem to be more comfortable around me than I am around them. That said, I don't mind hanging out with them. Some of my friends have kids that I go hang out with when I'm at their house. I seem to keep them occupied/quiet well enough to let said friends get a meal cooked or whatever it is they're doing with minimal interruption. :eek:)

I think it's because I ask them questions and appear genuinely interested in what they have to say. I ask what their toys' names are, what the big adventure today is, and so on. I don't tell them to be quiet or ignore them. And I've been known to join in on their adventures from time to time, even though I'm not nearly as good as they are.

That said, I'm only decently comfortable around kids who are a little older and can get around by themselves. I don't really like to be around toddlers/infants much because they really can't do anything and they're incredibly fragile. It just makes for an awkward time. >_> And I'm not into the whole changing diapers/feeding time thing either, btw. *shudder*

·
Registered
231 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts