Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you guys get along well with kids?

I'm kinda tall, and often unshaven with hair that often makes people say "you look like albert einstein" and sometimes I find kids get intimidated or scared by me but if I start spending some time with them they instantly like me. It's also pretty common for me to just walk by random kids and they'll just sort of look at me and smile and I smile back at them and they keep looking at me happily. My gf has found that to be pretty funny/interesting because I've told her how most adults see me as a serious / intimidating person yet kids usually see me for who I really am. I tend to treat kids like anyone else... and I patiently listen to their ideas / thoughts and ask em open ended questions or make suggestions to them.

I hate how adults often talk to kids like they're dumb and it's especially disheartening when I see the more emotionally sensitive kids get upset (not in the belligerently cry outloud sense... in the retreat into their own world sense) because of conflict between adults, or if an adult yells at them in a way that scares them, or makes them feel embarrassed or belittled. I find insecurities develop in children very rapidly, especially the sensitive ones. It's often hidden but there will be subtle clues that makes it clear the kid thinks they're not smart enough or good enough to do something. Its painful to think a 3-5 year old is already developing that sort of self-doubt and low self-esteem.

It's funny how most adults, say when a kid is bothering them while they're doing something like building furniture, tell/yell at the kid not to touch anything. That usually makes them keep doing it, and then the adult yells at them, then they cry or get upset, etc etc. I've found letting the kid do something really simple that makes them feel apart of the group or makes them feel trusted goes a long way. For example, when I was sitting there with a computer case open fixing something my little nephew who's around 4 would start coming in the way and asking all sorts of questions and wanting to put his hands inside the case, which can get annoying... but I handed him the screwdriver and helped him put it on top of one of the screws and told him to turn it... and after he did I gave him "wow good job!", he appeared all happy and excited, and I simply asked him to not touch anything now because I have a lot left to do... and he can watch if he wants but he has to sit a little far. He obliged happily. Stuff like that happens all the time.

Kids can get tiring but I'm usually most expressive and playful around them, not adults. I also tend not to be expressive around kids if people I don't feel 100% comfortable with are around. I find kids usually tell me all sorts of things about their lives too and sometimes see me as an over-grown friend lol.

Anyway, do other INFJs find themselves getting along with kids?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Anyway, do other INFJs find themselves getting along with kids?
Well... I used to be a TA for some kids in a drama group... and I used to lifeguard and do lessons for the smallest of the small.

I'm pretty damn good with them, if I do say so. you gotta be, as a lifeguard... they are most dangerous when in packs.

Most lifeguards just yell at kids to get them not to run, I am pretty good at finding less aggressive methods :laughing:

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Kids really seem to like me, even though I actually feel a bit awkward around them. Haven't spent a lot of time with kids...I'm never quite sure how to talk to kids, so I wind up talking to them like I would anyone else, and I ask them a lot of questions. Although asking a four-month-old, "So you're a baby...how's that working out for you?" probably wasn't that great an idea.

But I agree with you, though - let kids feel like they're part of the team and helping them feel like they're able to do something productive and valuable. I think it helps them become mature, confident adults.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
For some reason babies just stare at me, uninterested in anything else, older kids tend to like me too and start talking or wanting to play games, etc.. but I feel the same as LiteratureNerd and not really sure what to say most of the time.

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Yes, I absolutely love kids, they get along great with me and I can't wait to have some of my own, I want 3 but how much do you wanna bet I end up with 5 or more, lol (my poor future wife :( she's gonna hate me). I feel I would like to speak for all the other INFJ's but I will say I am the ultimate Toys 'R' Us' Kid I don't wanna grow up, everyday is like looking at it from a kids point of view, open and non-restricted by the system. This is maybe why they connect, because we see the world as they do.

Reactions: phEight

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Kids usually come up to me before I approach them and I really don't mind interacting with them however I find children "uncomfortable" to talk to. With babies it's even worse,I either accidentally make them cry or they just stare at me. :frustrating:

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
It's been several years, but back when my cousin was little and I was a teenager, I played with him all the time. I probably enjoyed that a lot more than high school.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I agree with what you said about kids seeing who you really are. But when you like them I can't help but think that one subconsciously softens up around kids. Older people think I'm fiercely serious and sad all the time, but babies and children giggle and coo and blush when they see me. I always smile and wave back. How can you not? I'm not sure how I know how to communicate with them but I read children like books. Usually you just need to go on a roll, pick up whatever they seem to be interested in and run with it. Ya just gotta keep it natural and never patronize. I love them and it takes maximum strength and effort to keep up with them, but it's worth it. They always give me faith in humanity so I feel like it's imperative for me to give back in some way.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Sweet post PhEight:) You seem to have a way with kids. There's no denying that being relaxed around them, encouraging them to be themselves, and directing them with patience and compassion are all wonderful ways of treating children.

I am very awkward around kids. Most kids look intimidated around me. If I get to spend more than 5 minutes with them, they ease up. I can make kids laugh, if that counts? :laughing: I also smile at kids walking by or babies. I don't know how to entertain them, though. My cousin asked me to babysit her 6 year old, and I taught him some football and scheduled his time for drawing and reading books etc. Looking back, we should have just chilled out more. He did seem to enjoy doing all these activities, but sometimes it's nice to just sit back and tickle them or something cute like that.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I love children. I generally get along well with them, though I think I could only really handle 1 or 2 at a time, any more and I would get exhausted. I do so dearly want children of my own (adopted is actually preferable).

I used to hate children though, always wondered why anybody would ever want children of their own. :tongue:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I like kids, but I tend to be really shy around them. It takes me awhile to get to know them well enough to be able to interact with them comfortably. On the other hand, kids seem to like me and tend to look up to me for some reason, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I get along well with kids but they drain me quickly. After spending time around them (even if I am literally just sitting there) I find that their enthusiasm and energy to be overwhelming.
I feel the same.
My "part-time job" is baby-sitting, because I have two young cousins. (the younger one is 2-years-old, the older one is 4-years-old) They are two hyperactive kids. We can't play anything, because they can't listen, and they're talking all the time. I love them, but their "entusiasm and energy is overwhelming", as you said. :dry:

But if a child is less active then I enjoy playing with him/her. I like to tell them stories, to play some really passive games.
I especially like the hypersensitive kids, because I was a hypersensitive kid too. :laughing: They like me too~

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love kids, but I don't always know how to act around them, and then I get shy. Some kids are just great and I really get along with them.
I really wanna have kids one day. Just love the smell of new born babies :blushed:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I absolutely adore children, and thankfully the feeling is generally mutual :laughing:

I have a very, very soft spot for any kind of vulnerability, I think, but this manifests most clearly with small children. I am instinctively protective of them - even without think I become automatically soft-spoken and watchful. I'm very nervous that they'll hurt themselves and I tend to be constantly watching them out of the corner of my eye. But I'm extremely gentle and affectionate with them, and they seem to respond to it. They trust me, in my experience. When I still went to church I was the only non-parent who used to volunteer with the small kids in the créche, and oddly enough I really enjoyed it. I love spending time with small children. Their innocence and curiosity, as well as my own feelings of protective affection for them, make me happy.

So... yes. I do. :crazy:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I get along great with kids. I always feel like I'm simultaneously their buddy and their protector.

·
Banned
257 Posts
The one and only thing I am absolutely confident in is being a great mother. I don't have kids... yet, but I'd want as much as I could financially and emotionally support. And I've been having baddd baby fever this year. =[

I agree with most adults talking down to kids as if they their brains had no ability to process things. I hate it! I don't believe in lying to a child or restricting a child from being themselves. I've talked to my 8 year old brother about social issues ever since I can remember. It baffles me how some people think kids have no voices of their own.

I feel much more comfortable around kids. I like being their for my little cousins because they don't exactly have adult figures who they can turn to, to talk and stuff. It's a heavy burden I put on myself because I have many cousins but I don't know why I just feel that sense of responsibility. If I am aware of their needs better than others, I could never turn the other cheek. And it bothers me sometimes how parents let their kids just roam around, doing whatever, without keeping an eye on them. I am always the one running after kids and making sure they're not in harm's way at family parties and such.

Kids naturally come to me for some reason. Even ones I don't know, I could tell their hesitant to come up to me at first and ask me for help or something but when we do start interacting, they open up so fast and I love it. I have a 3 year old cousin who was extremely shy and sensitive (he's gotten better) and wouldn't let anyone come near him except his father. My older cousins were angrily surprised that he let me hold him and talk to him. I think it was due to having patience and allowing him to feel comfortable instead of the automatically thinking babies should fall in your arms because you're older. >__>

I find kids usually tell me all sorts of things about their lives too and sometimes see me as an over-grown friend lol.
^ That's so true! haha. And I am more expressive around kids also. I think it's because I feel that it's never the wrong time to give insight to a younger person. I tell my little cousins much more things than I tell my close friends because I feel they need it and they'll listen - just to validate their own ideas and feelings, you know?
But yeh.. I want some babies.. NOW!! >=]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts