• Mid-Life Crisis

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Panties in a twist

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Malnutrition has affected brain function

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • It was always part of the plan

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • North Korea needs more land (malnutrition, power)

• Secretly wants to save the planet (wants to turn off global electricity)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Secretly wants to save the planet (depopulation)

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Tantrum

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Boredom

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • The US is fashionable to attack right now

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Everyone needs a test bed

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • The late night shopping lights in South Korea have been keeping him awake

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • It seems fun to kick the US while it's down

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Other (Explain below)

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • I'm not an INTP

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These lawmakers clearly have larger brains, look at the hair and the hats. Also, check out the strange juxtaposition in the smug looks of (...?) chagrin? It's all very Pinky and the Brain.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Yeah, the way I see it, new leader throwing his weight (pffft!) around and playing big, scary, impressive manly man - all whilst acting like a total cockshite of course.

The 'we no longer make peace with south' just seems like him rallying up his country for glory, making himself seem all impressive n' shit (whilst allowing his people to starve may I add). Some things never change.

To my credit, when I first saw he'd been appointed leader, I got the distinct impression he was an impulsive, spoiled brat with little understanding of how leadership truly works - at least he hasn't proven me wrong so far.

As for actually going through with it? Well, given he's already threatened/pissed off other countries, he'd be incredibly stupid to - I say we ride out his bluff.

·
Registered
915 Posts
These lawmakers clearly have larger brains, look at the hair and the hats. Also, check out the strange juxtaposition in the smug looks of (...?) chagrin? It's all very Pinky and the Brain.
haha that line got me :D

the hats are that big, because they have got portable radars underneath, better be prepared for every situation and everywhere !

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
How about being brainwashed that North Korea is the most powerful country on Earth and deserves to rule the world and it's okay to let your people starve while you have the cheeks of one happy chipmunk.

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's always about their own people with North Korea. North Korea operates on the perception of the government's power. The additional sanctions make the government look weak so they have to throw a temper tantrum in order to convince their own people that they are powerful. If they did appear weak, then their people might try to overthrow them. They also have other incentives: (1) they can use their nuclear status to extort aid from the US and other countries and (2) they can use their perceived power to influence certain elements of the South Korean electorate who are sympathetic to them.

It's really all a show though. The problem is that they can carry it so far they are pressured into making good on their threats, but they know they wouldn't last long in a fight.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
It's just posturing. North Korea is has no prayer of long-term sustainability... their nominal per capita GDP is less than my textbooks cost every semester. The only thing keeping that shit-hole trudging along is the fact that the regime is perfectly ok with sustaining itself on the backs of starving, impoverished peasants through brainwashing, intimidation, and violence. Kim Jong-un is young and unproven, and thus he is just trying to demonstrate power to his own people more than to anyone else because if he shows weakness, the facade starts to crack and there goes the cult of personality that his family has struggled to maintain for the past 60 years. The USSR had tons of nukes, but that didn't stop the whole empire from crumbling-- I don't believe Kim Jong-un is crazy enough to buy into his own BS and believe that two are somehow going to make North Korea a force to be reckoned with, but it does allow him the opportunity to spout off a bunch of ridiculous rhetoric about how the mighty North Korea has held the evil United States at bay thanks to the wisdom, strength, and cunning of the "supreme leader."

·
Registered
88 Posts
He just took power, but maybe has too loose a grip on power, and he is desperate not for war but for a big payday to retain and strengthen that power.

His people are starving so he is going back to what worked a couple of decades ago: blackmailing the U.S. give them aid/money while North Korea promises not to launch any more test missiles and stop its nuclear program while it collects the money and then secretly breaks its promises (like Pakistan receiving billions in aid by promising to fight terrorism while it was harboring Osama).

He is doing a great job manipulating the media. North Korea is a hot topic now, and maybe he can get the media to create enough public fear to put pressure on the U.N. and U.S. to give aid.
Google Trends

Examples of articles saying North Korea needs aid:
Why Is the U.S. Withholding Food Aid From Starving North Korea? - Morton Abramowitz - The Atlantic
U.N. optimistic on U.S. aid for North Korea, food still a problem | Reuters

A history of diplomatic failures with North Korea:
Chronology of U.S.-North Korean Nuclear and Missile Diplomacy | Arms Control Association

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I think he is forced to do what he is doing by having his father's old advisers around. If he had younger people who had been outside the country like he has (or anyone who has left NK), maybe he'd have a different approach.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
North Korea can't afford stress balls, so it resorts to outright dishonesty.

Rule 1 of any society: Find a way to continuously distract your citizens from the bleakness of their predicament.

·
Registered
657 Posts
MWAHAHAHAHA it makes no difference to me!!

Completely safe!!

But on a more serious note, I don't actually believe that Kim Jong-un really is behind anything much. I reckon that if Kim Jong-un were to suddenly change his tune and go on about wanting world peace and to bake a cake full of rainbows and smiles and we'd (being the rest of the world & N. Korea) eat it together and be happy, then there'd be a very quick disappearance and replacement of him. Courtesy of the military leaders...

But they are just like a temper tantrum throwing two-year old, who's throwing a tizzy because we're not paying them enough attention (or giving them enough stuff), &c.

wow that was some excellent unintentional alliteration, go me!

·
Registered
614 Posts
MWAHAHAHAHA it makes no difference to me!!

Completely safe!!

But on a more serious note, I don't actually believe that Kim Jong-un really is behind anything much. I reckon that if Kim Jong-un were to suddenly change his tune and go on about wanting world peace and to bake a cake full of rainbows and smiles and we'd (being the rest of the world & N. Korea) eat it together and be happy, then there'd be a very quick disappearance and replacement of him. Courtesy of the military leaders...

But they are just like a temper tantrum throwing two-year old, who's throwing a tizzy because we're not paying them enough attention (or giving them enough stuff), &c.

wow that was some excellent unintentional alliteration, go me!
Completely unsafe my ass! The most Northern tips of mah country!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Completely unsafe my ass! The most Northern tips of mah country!
Hahaha I'm right down the very bottom so I'm cool (not even on the map!!), it won't be good news for Darwin though.... So I guess I'll pay that.

Reactions: Ista
1 - 20 of 31 Posts