Votes: 23 44.2%
  • Kindness

Votes: 29 55.8%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
MOTM October 2013
6,421 Posts
Intellect, so that when they grow up, we could have the same intense debates-brainstorms that I've enjoyed so with my own mother.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Have you ever met somebody who is nice but is dumb as a box of rocks?

Ughhhhh those people. Face palm.

Being nice in general is just not valued by society. Let us consider for a moment the idea of the "nice guy" who never gets the girl, meanwhile stereotypical douchebag guy is dating her.

I am saying this as a stereotypical nice person myself.

Being intelligent without kindness may not be desirable either, but it gets results. Check out the United States very own orange oompa loompa president right now. :p

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey guys!

A couple of days ago someone asked me the following...
If you had a child and they could only possess one of these qualities, which would you choose: Kindness or Intellect?

So now i'm asking you guys this question! Mainly because i'm curious to find out what most people would generally choose!

When you've chosen your option, be sure to mention why you chose it over the other option. :)
Kindness. Both are equally important in terms of raising children that are taught to sustain society but kindness is more closer to love, and I believe that's ultimately what will sustain us all.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Definitely kindness.

Intelligence is inborn, intellectualism is developed from there. Kindness however is learned and an actual skill. The ability to be kind isn't genetic or anything, it's a way of life.

That's why I would value kindness a lot more in my child. You're smart because you got lucky. You're kind because you take an effort to be. That's worth a lot more in my opinion.

·
Registered
90 Posts
At first I said, But I think you need one to have the other then their intelligence is somewhat wasted" so realistically you can't choose between the two. But as far as levels of kindness and intelligence, I'd rather my kid be more on the kind side.

After rethinking it, "you need one to have the other" isn't true...you can definitely have intelligence w/o kindness...I was thinking along the lines of "if a person is known as intelligent but hasn't learned kindness, then their intelligence is somewhat wasted". I was looking for the delete but it seems you can only edit? I'm new here :)

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
kindness don't pay the bills. The "Meek" are basically broke submissive types. Though kind as hell.

Kindness is a luxury, though I do see it as one of the highest virtues. Disrespectful rude mother fuckers, I wanna strangle them, haha.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" Truer words ne'er been spoke.

But I'll pass on being a kind idiot.

·
Registered
9,285 Posts
Kindness but the things to remember is just because a person is kind doesn't mean they are pushover or dumb. Intelligence has many forms (kinesthetic, social, linguistic, artistic, etc) and can be learned and improved upon with hard work.

Just because kindness may not be viewed as accepted widely currently doesn't mean we shouldn't try to change it.

(That and studies show kind people finish first/better off then less kind people.)

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Intellect

Reason A - I think in the long term that high intelligence is actually responsible for more of the results that kindness seeks to achieve.
Example: scientific medical breakthroughs ... it doesn't matter if the genius behind the wheel was doing it for selfish purposes, if it meets a broader goal that somehow helps people, the results are palpable.

Reason B - I'm a bit "clannish" and would choose my own child's survival over a thousand other lives (that's just a personal fact not something I'm making a value judgement on), I would choose to be kind to my kids over the rest of the world. So ensuring they have higher intelligence is the kinder choice to make towards them.

Reason C - Like @Windblownhair , I believe kindness/morality can be nurtured in.

Intelligence, not so much. You can develop what you have, but you can only push that bar as high as you're innately predisposed to reach.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
I'm beyond jealous and attracted to people who have this inherent kindness. I'm not talking about that overbearing or fake kindness that Fe can produce.

I've been wondering if people are actually happy, and in my experience, it is these people who seem to be the happiest. Because of that, and because I only want happiness for my children, I wish they would harness kindness to an extent like no other.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If my child grew up to be highly intelligent but completely lack kindness I would personally feel like a failure in helping them develop. If it was reversed I would be satisfied.

I also feel like it is easier to develop your mental capabilities or expertise than for your personality to change to be genuinely kind.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Intellect is a gift but kindness can be taught along the way. I would say Id love to have my child intellect enough to make him/her compassionate. Kindness should then follow.

Although there will always be the possibility that he/she would loser her/himself to his/her intellect in pursuit of his/her ego valuation. But then life is hard and usually it hits us hard where we are left with an option to go hard or be more understanding. The latter is always hard. Intellect can help him/her navigate towards compassion.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Kindness. Intelligence is important, but I wouldn't want to raise an intelligent sociopath or murderer devoid of empathy or humanity. In the long run kindness goes much farther and is something I would want my child to value. It`s not only the most intelligent who succeed in life. It also depends how you define success. Of course, both would be ideal.
I agree. For me, success is having a positive impact on other people's lives. Using this definition you could build strong arguments for both but I feel that kindness reaches people at a personal level that intelligence never can.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree. For me, success is having a positive impact on other people's lives. Using this definition you could build strong arguments for both but I feel that kindness reaches people at a personal level that intelligence never can.
Valid enough and I agree. But there is within intelligence that can be used in pursuit of wisdom, wisdom breeds compassion. I think both should be pursued, I would say pursued in a balanced way, not necessarily equal in a level but strategic and adaptive to the given situation.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Intellect.
Well most infjs are kind right?
And what do we mostly get in return for this kindness?
We are under valued and are taken advantage of.

I don't want to that happening to my child.
Perhaps, I can teach him kindness by creating the right environment. Intellect is something I can't force upon him.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Both is important to me but I think if my kid is smart then he/she will have lots of options when it comes to finding work. I've seen lots of people not being kind having succes. But if you are kind (like me) people can get the wrong idea and take advantage of it.

Intellect. With me as a mother he/she will be kind, loving and polite. Also I think intellect is something you are born with that you develop when using it. I think kindness is a skill you learn. But I could be wrong of course...

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
I asked my INFJ hubby which one he'd choose and he said both are terrible options. He refused to play lol. He said it felt like he was deciding which way to screw up his child + didn't make much sense to play a game where the actual scenario is unrealistic and will never be a moral dilemma we have to face.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts